So, there is rumor of Disney acquiring Netflix. I am not sure this is a good thing

So, there is rumor of Disney acquiring Netflix. I am not sure this is a good thing.

It would be Hasbro and Hub all over again, with none of the direct competitor of Disney would like to directly support their opponent by putting their own show on a medium basically owned by Disney. Meaning that many shows wouldn't be available on it anymore.

At least that"'s my perception of it if it were to happens.

Other urls found in this thread:

marketrealist.com/2016/11/disney-interested-potential-acquisitions-netflix-twitter/
forbes.com/sites/laurengensler/2016/11/10/disney-fourth-quarter-earnings/#765a843d47b6
washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2015/12/28/disney-has-a-money-problem-that-even-star-wars-cant-fix/?utm_term=.649bfa94dbfc
jobsnhire.com/articles/48858/20161127/cbs-didnt-think-star-trek-discovery-succeed-tv.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>there is rumor of Disney acquiring Netflix
Too much vodka, Yuri.

Nah they've already cut a content deal with them back in July/August for Disney to want to purchase them it would make the service kinda useless.

Disney doesn't see them as competition or else they'd have warned them off the Dreamworks deal like they did with Hasbro.

marketrealist.com/2016/11/disney-interested-potential-acquisitions-netflix-twitter/

>or else they'd have warned them off the Dreamworks deal like they did with Hasbro.
What?

>Disney buys Twitter
>imagine the whole site shilling Marvel books and going full SJW 24/7
>mfw

I never said Disney saw Netflix as a competitor, I said that Disney owning Netflix would result in the competitors of Disney not wanting their show to air on Netflix anymore.

Hasbro was making a move to buy Dreamworks a few years back.

Disney took them aside more or less and advised them not to do it. In exchange they let the Princess line expire with Mattel and then gave it to Hasbro.

how would that make it any different than nowadays?

I hope not. Someone needs to cut that mouse monopoly.

Exactly

They'd ban anyone who doesn't suck Mouse dick.

That'd be a mistake on Netflix's part. They're kind of kingmakers in new media right now, being associated with the mouse would damage that.

Isn't Warner in charge of producing most of their show anyway? The mast Transformers cartoon is primed on CN, isn't it?

Disney acquiring Netflix would be one of the worst things ever. They would do everything to sabotage the service and force everyone back to cable to serve their ABC/ESPN interests and to appease the cable/movie industry in general.

Incoming Prez its putting together an Antitrust team. Shits gonna get carved.

And then unca Donald will buy Netflix himself.

>They would do everything to sabotage the service and force everyone back to cable to serve their ABC/ESPN interests
I think we already are past that point. If Disney was to buy Netflix, it would be for it to become their personal online platform, as the market as fully embraced streaming and won't back off from it.

>Disney buys Marvel
>imagine all ongoings constantly shilling Mickey, Spider-man and Donald Duck crossovers
Things that never happened, I guess.

Not as such. Hasbro is producing it and is putting the digital rites with Netflix.

They may employ a production company to make it like Warner Bros but its going to be their own property. End goal for Netflix last heard is Half of their content being original series.

Jesus Christ will nothing stop the mouse?

>imagine all ongoings constantly shilling Inhumans

That's entirely on Marvel.

>as the market is fully embraced streaming and won't back off from it.
>Fully

I wouldn't say fully until they stop requiring cable subs to be able to stream live over the internet and I'm not talking about Sling and PS Vue. Once they do that then yeah.

One media being embraced doesn't mean the death of an other media. It's amistake to think that one has to go for an other to be in.

Both can co-exist. TV boradcast will simply shift their focus into the prime-time of their content, before making it avilable online.

If Netflix where to refuse the Mouse would there be consequences? Would they pull their Marvel shows? Why does Disney have to ruin a good thing?

I sure hope not.
Wasn't there some law against monopolizing?

i fucking hope not
stop letting Disney buy everything

It be Sony stuff as well as Universal pictures included.
Disney is on good terms with them.
They are not on good terms with Fox or Paramount so I wager they wouldn't want any of their stuff on the site.
They are now distant with WB but I think that's a mix where they bought Marvel and the loss of the Harry Potter license.
But who knows they might back off, they are 5 of the 10 top grossing films of this year and that isn't counting the Star War profits of last December. Rouge one will get up their as well.
They are projected to break the 2 billion dollar mark by years end in film alone.

I should have said 2 billion domestic there.

>two of the biggest comic icons BATMAN AND SUPERMAN together in the same movie
>defeated by Secret Life of Pets
How did this happen?

It was bad

You're right, except that the transition from cable TV through analog signal to digital video over the internet is not a change in medium. It's a change in transportation. One is vastly superior to the other in literally every way.

The only reason cable is clinging to life is sports and old people

When it comes to computers nobody tries to fight against monopolies.

>Intel
>Nvidia
>Google
>Facebook
>Microsoft

Not only they have most of the market share, most of the time they undermine competition by abusing their market share (for example, "Chrome will give you a better experience!" Ad in every Google search, the whole forced upgrade to Windows 10 or forcing users to use the Facebook browser when opening links onside the Facebook app.)

Companies are destroying the openness of Internet and nobody cares.

It's hard to fight tech monopolies when the people appointed to do so don't understand how a toaster functions much less modern computers/infrastructure

but Disney constantly provides quality entertainment.

why are you afraid?

Buying the X-Men and F4 from Fox because Disney is fucking cheap as hell.

considering how much Netflix is spending on original programming at the expense of licensing fees, that wouldn't necessarily affect subscribers that much.

you would still get all Netflix originals, any ABC/Disney/all their other subsidiaries. plus I'm sure they would still do some licensing

Fox would never let the X-men rights go back as it's one of their only blockbuster franchises, and any price they have for FF would be too big to be worth it/ the name is box office poison right now

isn't Netflix mostly original content nowadays?

>a businessman being against monopolies

Well not mostly, but it's getting pretty big now. They're obviously doing it to bolster their catalog to to compensate for losing other 3rd party content every month or if studios/TV stations start to be assholes and charge more or pull their shit.

>quality entertainment
>quality

Quality is used here ironically.

elaborate, what's wrong with Disney?

They play it as safe as you can imagine.
Very paint by the numbers to offend no one and to ensure maximum profits.

Not to mention putting in shitloads of money into stuff like Rebels instead of giving that 3rd Season of Wander Over Yonder.

Hell, they didn't even wanted to produce toys with the WOY trademark.

>Hell, they didn't even wanted to produce toys with the WOY trademark.

who they hell would buy such things?

but i do agree with Star Wars, let it fucking die.
..nope, it prints billions.

>who they hell would buy such things?

ME!

Not to mention shitloads of other people.

If they did produce toys, then we would've had that 3rd season.

Disney are a bunch of whimps.

>Not to mention shitloads of other people.
I don't think that's actually true

>Fox would never let the X-men rights go back as it's one of their only blockbuster franchises,
A few billion from Disney could change that tho.

i second that, WOY was just some lol randum cartoon. not much to "merchandize" there

Even someone like Trump is smart enough to leave the Mouse alone, there's just no way that would end well for him or his administration

He's likely going to go after the others first in cutting them down. With Disney he'll bring them to the negotiation table. Bit of Leverage on that Public Domain stuff and all.

No it wouldn't. Because studios want to continue making money for decades to come.

Look at how Paramount lost both the MCU and Dreamworks Animation, with pretty much only Transformers being able to make good returns, and how they're close to filing for bankruptcy.

Yea Star Trek is flat lining and they are actually nearing towards scrapping the new show entirely instead of putting the money in it would need.

Which is a shame since the last one was the best of the new three.

Oh no, they'll take off all the DC movies on there! Oh wait, they have no DC movies on there.

They have HBO

Good thing I watch hulu because the only worthwhile shows on netflix are Bojack and Trailer Park Boys

>nearing towards scrapping the new show entirely instead of putting the money in it would need.
source?

>tfw always wanted to have my own show one day.
>Always wanted it to be a netflix original, since they seem to be way more lenient in giving creative freedom to creators.
>Now may be owned by disney

Well fuck. I mean Disney probably would have been my second choice anyway, but they're still not great.

I mean it could be worse. It could be Nickelodeon.

>Which is a shame since the last one was the best of the new three.

Not enough for people to forgive them for the horrible first two.

Can someone explain how is it possible that Disney is allowed to buy everyone and their grandmas? Aren't there any laws on monopoly to prevent this kind of shit?

>Laws
>against companies
>America

Why doesn't Disney buy DCEU? Maybe they could make a successful movie for once.

Don't they own a stake in Hulu?

Dunno about America, but beyond its border some of those companies have to swallow their pride and actually obey the laws of foreign countries.

Poland is getting its shit finally together and now they are making those companies start to obey Polish laws.

Even Facebook got a bucket of cold water on its face after the Polish Government started to visit them due to censoring certain sites that encouraged people to go and join the Independece Parade that happened a couple of weeks ago, while ignoring sites that blatantly promoted stuff like communism which is forbidden by law in Poland due to historical reasons and how murderous it was.

>will nothing stop the mouse?
Flagging numbers from ESPN and less people watching sports is hurting them. Especially when they spend billions of dollars on broadcasting rights for them.

forbes.com/sites/laurengensler/2016/11/10/disney-fourth-quarter-earnings/#765a843d47b6

washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2015/12/28/disney-has-a-money-problem-that-even-star-wars-cant-fix/?utm_term=.649bfa94dbfc

Yeah, they own 30% of it.

Like Warner and AT&T would let DC go. They might let certain low level properties be bought at a high price but no one is jut going to give up the rights to Superman or Batman

Fucking ESPN. That NBA deal and the Shanghai Disneyland troubles are what made them cancel Disney Infinity.

I know about the NBA deal, but what happened with Shanghai Disney?

They needed to rebuild vast swaths of the park because Disney didn't hire competent overseers.

>Yea Star Trek is flat lining and they are actually nearing towards scrapping the new show
Paramount doesn't own the television right to Star Trek, CBS does.

But that being said, a few at CBS don't see it being successful.

jobsnhire.com/articles/48858/20161127/cbs-didnt-think-star-trek-discovery-succeed-tv.htm

>They needed to rebuild vast swaths of the park because Disney didn't hire competent overseers

That can be blamed on the Chinese labor. Chinese culture is notoriously tightfisted and they always go for the cheapest corner cutting possible.

They're call The Jews of the Orient for a reason.

>people think Jews are cheap
>they have never seen a Chinese person haggle with an Indian shopkeeper

>He thinks Trump of all people is going to go against big business.

BUT HE SAID HE WAS ON OUR SIDE AND SINCE HE'S NOT A POLITICIAN HE WAS TELLING THE TRUTH

There are laws about copyright and public domain too, and every couple of decades Disney goes to court and just has them changed.

>Walt Disney hated Jews
>his company is more Jewish than an Israeli kibbutz during Hanukkah
POTTERY

>I get all my news from Family Guy

I hope they do so they can put all the Disney and Marvel movies up for streaming, tbqh

This , blame Ike for that, not Disney

Yea it being a Digital Only show they won't have the advertisers to back it and that makes them anexious.

Nor will they have the CW shows they were banking on to shore up the schedule and get people interested in their digital service. CW signed a deal with Netflix.

That and having to put a TV scale budget to something that won't get TV numbers. They are really getting hesitant about this Flagship for their CBS Access thing.

If it gets me my Old Republic series, whatever it takes.