Is he our guy?

barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/became-feminist-matt-fraction-christian-ward-talk-ody-c/

>> It's baked into the cake of the stories we tell, and have been telling since the beginning of our telling stories. And men, especially white men, especially straight white men, aren’t asked to cross-identify. When you put a princess in a tower and a prince comes to get her, it’s a hero’s quest. Put the prince in the tower, and the princess comes to get him: it’s farce. Or parody. So to really explode that structure means taking it all the way. And not just making the boys girls and the girls boys, but killing all men and really exploding things and showing how different literature looks when you invert traditional gender politics. It’s been a learning experience for me, just as a reader. I’ve not been often asked to cross-identify. And isn’t that interesting? When you extend it through, what does it do?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

> We had this amazing email thread: if you dress a man the way you dress women to advertise sexual potency and virility, what would you design a man’s outfit to be? Genital ornamentation for length and girth. Lots of thrusting power emphasized. Chaps, things that emphasize glutes. Face doesn’t matter…make him look like a bull. What does slave boy Leia look like? As we call her in my house: Jabba-killing Leia. We’re not taught to think like that. This is what you’re simplifying a woman to, so what happens when you simplify a man in a similar way, and why does it feel like ridiculous parody?

Was Pre-KSD Fraction like this? I enjoyed his Hawkeye. Didnt get an sjw vibe on him there.

He was already with KSD when he started writing for Marvel. And while he wrote Thor even when he had that whole Matriarchy thing he wasn't that great with female characters and on his Thor mini he before he wrote Thor he had Thor's mother claim that Odin raped her.

Maybe he got more SJW as time went on?

I guess he progressively got worst?

Matt Friction: Sex Criminal

He's kinda become another one of those comic book writers who would rather be doing something except writing comic books. He's banking hard on the online social commentator money train.

Getting his own independent books when he finally started to get his social commentary on, since he no longer had to make something marketable for Marvel.

That said, Sex Criminals was kinda interesting at first, before veering deep into sex positivity and showing off what Things he and Kelly Sue are into.

It's like they learned nothing. The selfhating bs doesn't work anymore.

It's a creator owned comic they're talking about here. They can social commentary all they want. If you don't like it, don't read it.

That actually sounds kinda interesting.

Old Fraction was the boringest shit to me. If he's found something different that suits him better, good on him.

I don't suffer from white guilt or hating my own penis so no he's isn't "my guy." I'm sure the hambeasts around here adore him though.

Does the nu-male handbook advise you to look as repulsive as humanly possible

kek
that hairdo

Matt looks about as alarmed at his haircut as we do. He woke up one morning and that happened.

What happened?

>As we call her in my house: Jabba-killing Leia

Suddenly my raging alcoholic old man doesn't seem so bad.

Feminism: not even once.

>What does slave boy Leia look like?

Hot.

I'm pretty sure Incase drew this already.

>Put the prince in the tower, and the princess comes to get him: it’s farce. Or parody.
Alternatively: a comic.

When someone writes the comic criticism of masculinity as savagely and cleverly as Alice Sheldon already did in sci-fi, I'll perk up my ears. As long as it's soundbites and SLAY!!! I'm out.

>Meanwhile in japan, the arguably most sexist developed country in the world with fucking rape trains and open child prostitution, can shit out a load of genuinely great female characters around the clock that both men and women like because they're not fucking retarded about it and get that a character is just a fucking character

Why can't you Americucks get anything right...

Slave Boy Leia by JJFrenchie, coming from Image in Summer 2017.

Sounds like a serious problem.

dont worry Trump will make Murica g8 again

>rape trains and open child prostitution
Have you been reading tabloid journalism again?

That was originally going to be a lesbian series btw

Why is his hair so greasy

Because the capitalist system relies on certain notions of gender politics. It's easier to lay everything back on scapegoats and pretend you're progressive like most amerifats than you know actually get up and do something.

It really speaks to the whole Japanese/USA cultural comparison as a whole.

Japs have no delusion about real life. They know it's shit, and so they involve themselves in fantasy fulfillment to the fullest because they know that it's never going to be a reality and frankly that it shouldn't.

Then you get lardass Americans who still have the underlying American dream, American exceptionalism, and American entitlement all core to their culture. Unlike the japs, we're supposed to pursue our American dream, and we're entitled to any and all that includes, and when we don't get it, you blame anything and everything that gives some kind of mental solace without doing any real self-improvement

KSD happened.

Can't wait for this to end up like Sex Criminals where the gimmick loses it's appeal instantly and the writing drags to the point where it becomes boring.

Fraction is a shitty writer. It'll probably be a hit among the "THIS IS SO IMPORTANT" crowd where style >>>> substance

>so what happens when you simplify a man in a similar way, and why does it feel like ridiculous parody?
'cause I'm not into cocks, you dumb shit.

More polite: male and female sexuality are different.

Wow, it would have been vastly better then.

>Unnaturally dyed hair

Every fucking time

Japanese writers want to tell a story.

American writers want recognition for telling a story.

She's also a former drug addict and groupie, guy let himself get gelded by quite the catch.

Not just Japan.

Yeah that too. Japs actually have integrity while amerifats wouldn't know morality if it shit on their ches

so is he though...

This. Similarly, you can't give a guy a boob window and call it a day.

Why the differences seem to fly over author's head baffles me - it's not like there aren't characters that women find sexually appealing already.

> Implying the witcher devs don't eat up half of poland's entertainment industry aids.

>And men, especially white men, especially straight white men, aren’t asked to cross-identify

What does he mean by this?

>Why the differences seem to fly over author's head baffles me
Maybe he's one of those "biological sex is a social construct" nutters.

He's covering his ass.

I actually can identify with black, female, and gay protagonists, I just don't have the energy for Marvel's marketing disguised as progressiveness. And that makes me the enemy because the only thing these people care about is the wrapper.

White men are evil and must be destroyed.

Videogame nerds make a big deal about characters not matching them exactly (both ways), and now it's spread into other, less relevant media.

I pity people who can't identify with a character because of their skin colour, gender, or sexuality.

Most gamers have never cared about the identity of the protagonist.

>people are more than their genders/race
>I can't relate to something if it doesn't have my specific identity politics

Fucking pottery.

[citation needed]

SHUT UP. I WANT MUH REPRESENTATION.

>> Implying the witcher devs don't eat up half of poland's entertainment industry aids.

kek, even so the games are based off books with memorable characters. All written by a fat, almost always drunk slav man. But I guess that's not enough for limpdicked sjw's who bashed it while screaming ''Ooga booga where da black people at?''

insecure game bloggers and Sup Forums posters on Sup Forums ≠ most gamers

Boo hoo hoo; the vidya made me play as the negro. how can i be raycis now?

This never happens

>from the same company that publishes good shit like Stray Bullets or Chew

>Danger hair
>Danger glasses
>Fat

Yup.

>Videogame nerds make a big deal about characters not matching them exactly (both ways)

Chew you havisfaction a singleicious satisfact to snack that up?

It's his book and his business, but the way people talk about gender roles always seems to come back to this old fantasy about how there's no such thing as human nature and people can be reprogrammed to think a different way.

A lot of these controversies boil down to whether you think gender roles are part of human nature or whether they've been imposed on us by our society. So if we all learn to see things in another way, eventually there will be no more sexism, racism, transphobia, etc. because these things aren't natural.

It's sort of a more harmless version of the idea going back to the French Revolution, that people could be reprogrammed.

And it's fine if you see things that way, I just think it has a negative impact on art sometimes because you have artists who feel it's morally wrong to portray the world the way it is. An artist who tries to turn stereotypes on their head all the time is as tiresome as one who writes nothing but stereotypes.

Like suggests he probably means fuckface game journos and bloggers and Sup Forums types on Sup Forums.

If nerds, geeks, weebs, and dweebs can cry for a bunch of Japanese high school girls, "cross-identifying" isn't the problem. Your writing just sucks.

Well, most gamers are casuals rather than nerds, so...

If he hasn't got a Hugo Award yet, he's a shoe in for next year.

First of all fuck off to Sup Forums with your meme

Second we don't like Fraction, I won't say we hate him but we hold no love for him.

To be fair most Westerners can't identify with Japanese high school girls, only some can.

>gender roles are part of human nature or whether they've been imposed on us by our society.

Am leaning more on the latter cause I hardly can explain or convince myself why gender roles is intrinsically part of human nature. But am quite curious on the argument for those that leans toward that idea, someone enlighten me with thier view?

Sad how pussy has so much control over some men

Did his rape of Thor happen before or after KSD?

Then there's stuff like Watamote which is only still around because it's popular with westerners, since it bombed with Japanese audiences.

If gender roles are socially constructed, why have they been constructed in more or less the same way in almost all times and places?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer is all you need to know about why "gender is a social construct" is made-up nonsense.

Nobody watches those Chinese school girls cartoons for plot.

don't fix what ain't broke, I guess.

What's the numbers on Japs reading western comics? Does capeshit have a huge fanbase there?

The anime sold poorly but the manga still goes on. And it was just some people on Sup Forums etc. who were into it.

The posers who memepost about "best girl" are not the actual fanbase of those shows.

You don't have any credit what so ever to talk about "Masculine" roles when you look like a dime store tranny.

>why have they been constructed in more or less the same way in almost all times and places?

Because a lot of things are passed down by interaction between powerful and less powerful societies, bro, and quite others are the direct result of biological differences.

I think it's just that while gender roles aren't exactly the same in every society in history, they're similar enough because they're based on some physical realities (which group can have babies, which group is more physically aggressive overall). And these realities influence the stories we tell.

Doesn't mean that gender roles have to be exactly what they were in the 19th century, just that if we tell a story about a woman warrior, we recognize her as an outlier (Joan of Arc) while if we tell stories about a male warrior, we just think of it as "something men do."