CBR's Top 100 Comic Book Runs

I decided to shill for CBR.
CBR is having their every four year Top 100 Comic Book Runs poll again this year. There's still two days left to vote for your favorite comic runs.
cbr.com/vote-for-the-100-top-comic-book-runs/

2012 list:
cbr.com/2012-top-100-comic-book-runs-master-list/
2008 list:
cbr.com/the-top-100-comic-book-runs-master-list/

Other urls found in this thread:

cbr.com/bcc-paul-pope-bob-schreck/
sites.google.com/site/deepspacetransmissions/interviews-1/2006-2010/newsarama---all-star-superman-and-much-much-more
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>2. You’re going to be voting for ten runs in total here. Vote for TEN – if you vote for less than ten I won’t count your ballot.

>3. Rank your ten favorite comic book creator runs from #1 (your most favorite) to #10 (your 10th most favorite). I’d prefer it if you actually numbered your entry, #1-10. It’s easier for me to count.

>Here’s a template you can use as a guide:

>TOP TEN CREATOR RUNS

>1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10.

>4. Your top choice will be given 10 points, your second choice 9, etc.

>5. The run must last at least nine issues of an ongoing comic book. So no mini-series. However, series that were canceled early do count. So you could vote for Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen’s “Nextwave” run, for instance. Or Dan Curtis Johnson’s “Chase” run. Just not Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons’ “Watchmen”. Or Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli’s “Daredevil”. Or Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely’s “All Star Superman”, as it appears as though they never intended to go past 12 issues. I’ll make an exception and allow Steve Englehart’s “Detective Comics” run, even though it technically falls an issue shy. Plus, Alan Moore, Gene Ha and Zander Cannon’s “Top 10” was not always meant to be 12 issues, so it would count (especially since they had the “Smax” mini-series and the “49ers” Graphic Novel).

>6. Some books have had just way too many artists work on them to try to split them into smaller runs. It is unfair to categorize these runs just by their writers, as the artists are just as important, but for the sake of ease, that’s just how we’re going to have to do things. So if a writer is the sole consistent part of a run, you can count the run as, say, “Mark Gruenwald’s Captain America” or “Peter David’s Hulk” without having to choose an artist to pair them with.

>7. If an artist is a co-plotter on the book, though, that’s different. So, for instance, you have to split Marv Wolfman’s run on the New Titans into “Marv Wolfman/George Perez’s “New Teen Titans” and then “Marv Wolfman’s “New Titans” for the work Wolfman did once Perez left the book. Similarly, Stan Lee/Steve Ditko’s “Amazing Spider-Man” is one run while Stan Lee/John Romita’s “Amazing Spider-Man” is a separate run. There is no “Stan Lee’s Amazing Spider-Man” run. Chris Claremont’s time on “Uncanny X-Men” is split into three eras. Claremont/Cockrum (this was really two separate runs, but for the sake of ease, I’m counting it as one run), Claremont/Byrne, Claremont Solo (everything after Cockrum’s second run – Jim Lee eventually began co-plotting with Claremont, but only late in their run and it just seems easier to split it up as “Byrne, Cockrum, Everyone Else.”) The only other notable example that springs to mind is Paul Levitz’s Legion of Super-Heroes. It would be Levitz/Giffen and then Levitz solo as two separate runs. If I’m forgetting another notable example, please let me know.

>8. Runs can span more than one title. For instance, Jim Starlin’s Warlock run began in Strange Tales and then continued into Warlock. Also, Geoff Johns’ “Green Lantern” run has spanned a mini-series and two ongoing series so far. Grant Morrison’s “Batman” run has spanned three ongoing series and a mini-series. Brian Michael Bendis’ “Avengers” run spanned six ongoing series (“Avengers”, “New Avengers”, “Mighty Avengers”, “Dark Avengers”, “Avengers” and “New Avengers”). Jonathan Hickman’s “Fantastic Four” run was over two titles. Dan Slott’s “Spider-Man” run has been over four ongoings. Grant Morrison’s “Batman” run was over a few titles.

>9. Again, mini-series and maxi-series do not count. “Squadron Supreme” does not count. “Watchmen” does not count. One-shots do not count. “The Killing Joke” does not count. “Seven Soldiers” does not count. There will be a storyline poll that will get to all of these stories in the future. Now, though, we’re just talking about runs as opposed to specific storylines. You might like 10 more individual stories than you liked anything from, say, Brian K. Vaughan’s “Y the Last Man” run, but you might like his run as a whole more than other runs. Speaking of “Y the Last Man”, books like that that did have a general “ending” in mind count as ongoing series. “Preacher”, “Lucifer”, “Ex Machina”, “Starman”, “Sandman”, “Fables”, “Hitman”, “Scalped”, “100 Bullets”, “The Boys” – they all count as ongoing series and qualify as “runs” for this poll.

>10. Series of mini-series, like “BPRD”. “Hellboy” and “Fear Agent” count as a run.

>11. Runs split up by time are two separate runs. Larry Hama’s “G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero” is two runs. As is Peter David’s “X-Factor”.

>12. Series of graphic novels count. We’ll count each graphic novel as two comics for the sake of ease. So “Scott Pilgrim” would count.

>13. Warren Ellis’ “Stormwatch” is one run. Warren Ellis’ “Authority” is a separate run. I once asked Scott Dunbier (the editor of the title at the time) if he considered the two books separate runs and he said yes, he did. So I’m going with that (and not just because it fits my personal view! Although, yes, mostly because it fits my personal view).

Fuck this.

>Not Miller or Mazzuchelli's Daredevil

So no basically rigging the list to favor some books over others?

>it fits my personal view

sums this up nicely.

He means Born Again since it is essentially a mini series, Miller's original run would count.

Not for that specific instance.
In the '08 poll the Miller/Janson and Born Again got two different slots but in the '12 poll they were combined.

but didn't they only work together for a total of like 6 or 7 issues? on Daredevil at least?

i'm trying to think of which to submit desu cause this changes like on the reg.
no order what i'm thinking rn
Ostrander/Yale/McDonnald Suicide Squad
Levitz/Larocca Legion
Nocenti/JrJr Daredevil
Claremont/JrJr X-Men
Lee/Heck Avengers

There's a minimum issues required that doesn't meet.

How's my list Sup Forums?

Karl Kesel Harley Quinn
Paul Dini Gotham City Sirens
J.M DeMatteis/ Keith Giffen Justice League International
Tom Taylor Injustice: Gods Among Us
Gail Simone Birds of Prey
Dwayne McDuffie Justice League

You could look at the previous two lists. Maybe you'll remember some of your other favorites. Or could not vote for your runs that will definitely make the list but vote for less popular runs that you like and want others to discover.

This is mine
1. Love and Rockets by The Hernandez Bros.
2. Hate By Peter Bagge
3. Zot! By Scott Mccloud
4. Punisher Max by Garth Ennis
5. Captain Marvel by Peter David
6. Plastic Man by Kyle Baker
7. Warlock by Jim Starlin
8. Kid Eternity by Ann Nocenti
9. Yummy Fur by Chester Brown
10. Jack Staff by Paul Grist

I thought about voting for L&R, Hate and Yummy Fur too.

a arbitrary as fuck number.

Yes, eight issues instead of nine. Woo.

It was a run in the regular series.

it is.
but its also to push the "ongoing book" angle.
so pretty much anything Marvel Warren Ellis has done over the past 5 years isn't includable because those were all planned as short stories, not the continuing adventures of an ongoing book.

>not swamp thing by moore, Doom Patrol by Morrison, or Daredevil by Miller.

You do realize that its the top 100 comics, not the most underrated, right?

It's supposed to be your favorites, those are my favorites

All stories are planned. limited runs should count.

it says top. But okay, sheet though. Lot of under the radar stuff in there.

The organiser also mentions favorite runs. Since they're essentially the same thing in these kind of things. Often what someone finds something the best that thing is their favorite and vise versa.
It'd be nice if the list was diverse.

I ain't doing all that shit.

I sure look forward to seeing Squirrel Girl, Ms Marvel, and Mockingbird in top 10.

I had an argument with him over this last time he did this poll.

Miller's 2nd DD run consisted of a one-shot GN + 8 issues of the ongoing (consisting of 2 stories) and was originally intended to go on for at least 2 more issues.

That gives it 9 issues and qualifies it for his list.

Even after I called him out on the criteria he refused to budge. The reason he added the "NO MILLER 2ND DD RUN" part to the rules was specifically because of me.

And he even admitted that the Englehart Batman was eligible despite not qualifying by the rules was just because it was one of his favorite runs and he wanted to see it on the list.

Plus Morrison's All Star Superman WAS intended to be longer, but this guy's an idiot.

See: He disqualified it because I called him out on being wrong and he was butthurt.

It's CBR, so you bet your ass those are going to be on there. It's going to lean HEAVILY toward Marvel as well since the average CBR user only knows them and doesn't realize there even are any other comics.

SEND YOUR BALLOTS TO THE DUDE AT HIS E-MAIL ADDRESS HERE:

[email protected]

OP LEFT THAT PART OUT.

>says to ask questions in the comments section
>requires fagbook sign-up to post

I don't think Mockingbird counts for any of the criteria. (unless it fals under the "intended to be longer but cancelled" rule)

the last couple CBR/Marvel polls were generally negative or ambivalent.
especially the one teasing Marvel NOW! (again)

EVERYONE POST YOUR LISTS IN THIS THREAD

1. Carl Barks' Duck Comics
2. Jeff Smith's Bone
3. Mike Grell's Jon Sable, Freelance
4. David Mack's Kabuki
5. David Lapham's Stray Bullets
6. Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball
7. Jim Starlin's Dreadstar
8. Herge's Tintin
9. Bud Root's Cavewoman
10. Eric Powell's The Goon

It'd be awesome if Busiek's Conan made the list, but I doubt that'll happen.

>All Star Superman WAS intended to be longer
source

1. Kurt Busiek and Brent Anderson's Astro City

2. Alan Moore, Stephen Bissette, and John Totleben's Swamp Thing

3. Jack Kirby's Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen

4. China Miéville's Dial H

5. Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Mark Waid, and Keith Giffen's 52

6. Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Francesco Francavilla's Afterlife With Archie

7. Neil Gaiman's Sandman

8. Tom King and Barnaby Bagenda's Omega Men

9. Alan Moore, Gene Ha and Zander Cannon's Top 10

10. Mike Baron and Jackson Guice's The Flash

The original concept for the All Star line was long form runs by single teams that would be replaced by another team once their run was over.

It'd have been Morrison/Quitely on Superman, Loeb/Lee on Batman, and other teams on other characters. Then Loeb left for Marvel and Miller took his place.

Ultimately the whole line got cancelled because the books were taking FOREVER to come out. Morrison had wanted to follow up his run with a series of "five or six" one-shots focusing on different "Supermen" within the All Star continuity. There was plans for one of the "Supermen of the future" that come back in time in whatever issue that was, one of an origin story based on Golden Age Superman, and others. This never happened for unspecified reasons (though I'd guess it was just because they cancelled the line).

give me a source on all this

>and other teams on other characters.

Yeah, it was going to be Adam Hughes on All Star Wonder Woman and Geoff Johns and JG Jones on All Star Batgirl. Hughes' project got shelved to give him Before Watchmen: Dr. Manhattan and Johns and Jones never got around to doing Batgirl (I think Johns said he had a synopsis. It wouldn't surprise me if he repurposed it for Earth One, though).

>
Ultimately the whole line got cancelled because the books were taking FOREVER to come out. Morrison had wanted to follow up his run with a series of "five or six" one-shots focusing on different "Supermen" within the All Star continuity. There was plans for one of the "Supermen of the future" that come back in time in whatever issue that was, one of an origin story based on Golden Age Superman, and others. This never happened for unspecified reasons (though I'd guess it was just because they cancelled the line).

I think the official reason is that they felt All Star Superman worked as is (and probably because Morrison was busy with other stuff). But I kind of want to see the other stuff--he planned to have Paul Pope, Richard Corben, and JH Williams work on those Superman one-shots. And another thing...

>one of an origin story based on Golden Age Superman

This was going to show Superman's early years which would make him more like the 30's Superman and was going to be called (tentatively) "Superman vs Satan".

I think since that never got made, Morrison repurposed the idea for his Action Comics run (New 52 Superman was like the early Superman, and the main villain, Vyndktvx, certainly resembles a Satan figure).

You do realize that its the top 100 comics, not the most entry-level, right?

It's okay for people to nominate comics that you personally haven't read, casual.

Paul Dini Gotham City Sirens
Gail Simone Birds of Prey
Alan Moore, Stephen Bissette, and John Totleben's Swamp Thing
Herge's Tintin
Tom King and Barnaby Bagenda's Omega Men
Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra and Jose Marzan’s Y the Last Man
Grant Morrison’s Batman
Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham and Steve Leialoha’s Fables
Alan Moore’s Marvelman/Miracleman
Mike Mignola’s Hellboy

Either Denny O'Neil's Batman run or Denny O'Neil's The Question.

Either way, Denny O'Neil work.

cbr.com/bcc-paul-pope-bob-schreck/

>In response to a question about professional disappointments, Pope revealed he was on board for a “third year of ‘All-Star Superman'” that would have seen him “share art duties with J. H. Williams III and Richard Corben.”

sites.google.com/site/deepspacetransmissions/interviews-1/2006-2010/newsarama---all-star-superman-and-much-much-more

Grant Morrison:

>After that, there’s been some talk about doing three two-part All Star Superman specials with some unusual artists who’ve never drawn the character before. While I was writing All-Star, I came up with a couple of ideas that didn’t really fit into the main book but they still had strong ties to the All-Star Superman universe, so we’ll see if we can work it out with the guys I have in mind.

>There’s a story called “Son of Superman” with an All-Star re-imagining of the Super-Sons concept. [There’s also] “Men of Tomorrow,” which is a huge, generational Superman Squad cosmic epic, and an idea for a flashback story to the All-Star Superman’s first year in Metropolis called “Superman vs. Satan!”

I think Morrison said he planned on having Quitely do the Super-Sons comic. It's possible that some elements of the Super-Sons idea got repurposed for The Just in Multiversity.

thank you

How do you feel about Azrael

That was in the link. Didn't feel like directly linking his email on Sup Forums.

Pretty good until toward the end.

>CBR

I gave up on them once they did their retarded rebranding with the awful site turned blog revamp.

I wonder if the new design of the site has affected the poll.