Was this good?

was this good?

Is the Pope a Diaphysite?

[SPOILER]Yes[/SPOILER]

Moz' batman is on par with the iliad bro

Yes, but it helps if you understand Batman's history somewhat. You don't have to read every issue, but it was a version of the modern age year-long-Bat-mystery-which-will-chang-everything-forever where the twist was that all the Silver Age stories are still canon.

It's enjoyable no matter what, but you'll get more out of it if you have at least some understanding of Batman's history.

It's written by Morrison, so no.

That's not how you spell yes.

No.

Typical morrison bullshit, 'you just aren't smart enough if you don't get it." Read it, understood it, its shit.

Fuck yeah. Morrison's Batman run is a fucking trip.

I re-read it every now and then.

its a trip alright, down a broken alleyway to a late abortion.

Ok dude, we got it. Why don't you go post about shit you do like?

Sucks. I've yet to read a single good reason as to what makes it good. Its always this vague bullshit that doesn't actually tell you anything.

"Its a trip" "Its epic" "once you read it it becomes amazing"

Morrison on Batman fundamentally changed how hes been written ever since and I hate it.

How do you prefer Batman to be written user?

I liked it, but I doubt it reads well if you read it without at the very least reading the rest of the run. There were a lot of plebs picking it up without having read the run before, and they didn't like it because like idiots they stepped into a story midway.

>Morrison on Batman fundamentally changed how hes been written ever since and I hate it.

Ok, I''ll bite, how?

>Morrison on Batman fundamentally changed how hes been written ever since

Holy fuck I wish

I like it because it presents Batman with all of his history intact, with a Batman who can smile once in a while without losing his driving intensity, because it gives us a boat load of new villains and concepts to play with, because it lets Talia finally step in daddy's shoes and be the heir to the Demon's Head he's always wanted, because everything Joker says is a setup or a punchline, because Batman Inc is a legitimately interesting idea for an evolution of Batman's lifelong war on crime, because there are some really fun stories in there, including the best Matches Malone arc in years, and because it made Gotham feel weird and arty and livable while still being a dangerous place to be.

It has its flaws-one critique that rang true is that while Morrison claimed to be accepting Batman's past a lot of it read like he was making the weird shit more "acceptable" to a modern reader who can't handle Batman dealing with aliens in his own book. Its not the best Batman run ever, but its a really solid seven years of comics.

Batman used to be like 60% detective and 40% action superhero. He would rough up badguys to figure out some mystery as he works his way to whatever villain of the week he has to beat up and put away at the end. Yes he did have big action sequences depending on writer but it was something special that would happen once every few years. Like when he was storming Ra's compound to put an end to his plots or when Bane freed every bad guy in the city. In Morrison's Arkham Asylum he was mostly a detective and didn't run around blowing the fuck out of everything. But in Batman RIP and forever afterwards hes 100% action star. His pulp detective comic roots are completely gone. The villain is revealed at the beginning of the story arc and he just punches his way through everything. Its the JLA version of himself where hes basically a super agent using raw power and money to beat his way to the end.

Go read the 80s and 90s Batman stuff and read the current stuff. The tone is so completely different its basically a different character.

>Read it, understood it
Care to explain then why it's shit?

You are so wrong on multiple levels

Yes, but you should read it as part of Morrison's run, not on it's own.

Who was shocked by the Oberton Sexton reveal?

Fuck off, Morrisonite.

first time i read it i nearly pissed, granted i had been holding it in for about 5 issues at that point.

Sup Forums lost its shit

"They're all jokes."
>check back
>all jokes
>FUCK SEXTON WAS JOKER'S MATCHES MALONE

That Batman survived Morrison is amazing
Nu52 Superman wasn't that lucky

Too bad he damaged the Robin mantle forever.

Batman RIP is fucking spectacular!

Yes, it's very good, in context of the GOAT run. Oberon Sexton, Wayne's return, and so many more moments were great times on this board.

Morrison made new, sustainable lore, while honoring so much of the past.

Anyone got some megas of this and related stories?

Respectfully, I think you're wrong on every count.
Morrison didn't start the sort of widescreen action storytelling you're describing and he didn't kill the pulp detective comic Batman either. DC went through a massive transformation in the early 00s and Batman was clearly affected. Gone were the (comparatively) grounded and introspective Denny O'Neil style arcs like Knightfall and No Mans Land and in were the high octane arcs with great art and a parade of well-known villains masking mediocre plots and shock-value cash-grabs like Hush, Under the Hood, and War Games.

Morrison's JLA Batgod clearly impacted the way writers approached the character, but Batman has been the 'superhero action' Batbook for more or less the last 15 years and it clearly predates Morrison touching the book. Most of the time they've given us a more grounded alternative to the high-octane superhero title. We got Dini's Detective Comics and Rucka's Detective Comics (the Batwoman one) and Snyder's Detective Comics before DC shat the bed with the New 52.

Grant Morrison is not DC Comics and Grant Morrison is not the Bat-group editorial team and you can't blame shifting tastes and large sweeping story direction on one writer.

Also the Morrison run is this amazing, sprawling, self-referential love-letter to the Batman mythos and typifies basically everything I love about serialized fiction. There are real solvable mysteries in the stories where the answers are right there, if you know this obscure fact from a story published some 40 years prior and recognized the reference in the background of that one panel in that one issue. It's not for everyone and I'm sure it loses something reading it in one sitting long after the book was published, but reading it and talking theories on Sup Forums, or the old dc comics or newsarama message boards was a lot of fun.

God, this is such garbage bait.

>hurr durr i'm going to hate on something that's insanely beloved and not elaborate on why

Fucking step up your game

>be unable to write Batman
>mmmh, let me kill him off and replace both him and Robin with meme characters
>woah such a new and amazing take on the character! but look there's a reference to old stuff! this is him paying respect to the character!

He should have stayed at Marvel

(You)

No
No
No
No
Yes

Also, Morrisonfags are yhe fucking worst

Nobody is going to take you seriously if all you do is greentext a strawman and complain in memespeak.

nah

It looks like a roasted chicken flailing its wings, you tell me.

I got bored and stopped reading.

Not a fan. I've only ever read one thing Morrison wrote that was actually worth reading so I may be biased but he just seems so far up his own ass about how "clever" his ideas are and the fact that most people who like his writing think that covolution = depth certainly doesn't help.

>Literally not muh
Go back to CBR, characterfag.

Yes. Absolutely. One of the best Batman stories of all time.

Fuck anyone who disagrees.

>omg I read books about CHARACTER X but I don't want him to be CHARACTER X

kill yourself

One of the best if not the best Batman story for sure. I liked how it was a unique take on the character after such a long time.

>I have only read Morrison by the way and never another Batman run

>Defending characterfaggotry.
How low has Sup Forums sunken lately?

I have read Englehart's, most of O'Neil's issues, Starlin, Grant, Moench, Milligan's, Brubaker, Lapham, a few of LotDK and Dini's run. Morrison's run is still one of the best Batman runs.
Regardless of other bat runs, it was still one of the best cape comic runs of the last decade.
You should quit since your definition of bad is characterfag tier.
>It was bad since it was not muh.

Heh, zuh-en-aaarh