Its been a while since we talked about how bad Superman grounded was. So lets do that

Its been a while since we talked about how bad Superman grounded was. So lets do that

What was so bad about it?

Superman is a hypocrite

Finding lost pets makes you a bro in my book.

So is somebody going to storytime it?

I always see this page posted, but what is the context?

You're a gun

Right? He could set up a website or something. Just type in some basic information and "bam!" here's where your pet is.

Superman would rather send children to deliver messages and get potentially murdered by drug dealers than just talk to them himself, or better yet actually solve the problem instead of arbitratily decide to protect this one neighborhood and not care what happens "over there".

wasn't this after New Krypton so he was getting used to live on earth again?

The dumbest thing was the whole thing started because Superman didn't preform brain surgery on some random guy he never met or even knew had a brain tumor

I loved when Superman censored the press

And a bully

Could he see every brain tumor in the world? Does he even know what he's looking for when x-raying people for tumours? His own father died of heart attack he missed, but I guess she wouldn't knwo that and he wouldn't tell her.

Also laser vision without hurting him? how? His laser vision can only go in straight lines he would need to break his neck cutting around it unless it's just sticking out, she could call darksied to try his omega beam on it.

>Try to get used to living on Earth
>Walk only across AMERICA

Darksied MD I'd buy the shit out of that book

He was also a smug asshole

Pretty please with sugar on top someone post the page where this woman tells Superman he is a gun.

I've been looking for it for ages.

Pic for your troubles.

...how the hell does that answer that guy's question? What does Thoreau have to do with anything? How exactly is Superman taking a stand against injustice by walking?

Huh, I guess that guy agreed with me Did JMS really expect us to sympathize and agree with Superman?

>we just had a storyline where we separated Superman from his supporting cast for a year.
>Let's do another one. Also, he's not allowed to show up in any other books.
I think JMS might be an idiot.

Stupid premise. Awful execution. Lame stories.

Other than that, it was fine.

Notice how he left the book before finishing this story.

Nice outfit, Lois.

Here you go

Let's throw Batman for good measure

Thanks, god that panel pissed me off.

If a cop walked into a park with a gun would she be nervous?

I'm not sure I understand Superman's argument. What does he think "looking out for the average guy" means? Batman fights criminals like the ones that killed his parents all the time, he's ALWAYS looking out for the average guy. Batman would be the type of guy that "suppose someone had been there" refers to, since he would have stopped Chill if he had been there.

The only good thing about Grounded was when JMS left and Chris Roberson took over.

He doesn't have a point. He's just being a hard-ass.

Batman's point actually sounds more reasonable even though the narrative clearly wants us to disagree with him.

So if Superman wanted a ground-level view of people's ordinary lives, why did he go walking around in-costume, thus ensuring that nobody is going to behave naturally around him? He couldn't have done this as Clark Kent or just as some guy?

That wouldn't have made the statement JMS wanted, although it would have made much more sense.

I remember someone did an analysis of this.

>Now, assuming Superman’s heat vision could cure the tumor without any significant side effects* and he wants to make sure no one else dies of a brain tumor:

>There are expected to be 62,930 new primary brain tumors diagnosed in the United States in 2010.
>If Superman were to work a 24 hour day, 7 days a week, he would have a little over 8 minutes to spend on each brain tumor patient.
>If he were to work a slightly more humane 18 hour day (6 hours for sleeping, eating, bathroom breaks, and saving the world), then he would have 6 minutes to spend on each patient.

>But why just stop at brain tumors? Why shouldn’t Superman use his abilities to treat all cancers? In that case, there are expected to be 1,539,560 new cancers diagnosed in the United States this year alone (and that’s not counting non-invasive tumors and certain skin cancers that account for another 2+ million cases).
>Now Superman has just 20 seconds to see each patient (or 15 seconds if he wants to sleep).
>And why not go worldwide? Then Superman would have just 2 seconds per patient.

And this is the real funny part. That's not even Bruce talking some sense into Superman; it's Grayson.

What is the statement JMS wanted? I've read this thing twice and I still can't tell. Mostly the story seems to be an argument in defense of itself. And it's not even a defense of its own genre or its own emotional tone, like WHTTJATAW or the last episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold. Grounded is a defense of Grounded in particular, something that wouldn't have been necessary if Grounded didn't exist in the first place.

Well, her dumb reasoning is that wherever he goes, trouble follows.

Man, if I were a criminal in Metropolis I'd definitely take advantage of Superman's love of talking down jumpers. Just send one goon out to pretend to contemplate jumping off a building, and everyone else can do as they please for a day or more. Batman would just cuff the fucker to a pipe and move on to the next problem.

Both this and Earth One are just rancid. JMS really tried too hard to "deepen" Superman. And the sad part is he used to better about this. His Spider-man also had a needlessly complicated backstory about spider totems but he still got the basics of what made the character appealing down pat. Funny average joe juggling a real job with life-threatening super heroing.

I wish he did a good old-fashioned conflict with Lex Luthor while expanding the Krypton mythology or 5th dimension or some shit.

That wouldn't work, Superman might notice something's off, like heartbeat or something.

And more importantly, why only America? Why not go to poor countries that he hardly ever goes to?

I could have sworn that this was covered by Batman getting Superman's powers and trying to do the whole "be there 24/7" and he ended up going bonkers.

Did Superman get hit by a Crazy Beam or something? Lex is too busy laughing his ass off seeing supes prove his hypothesis to do any harm.