Okay, can someone explain this Superman's backstory? Im trying to get into rebirth, what universe is he from...

Okay, can someone explain this Superman's backstory? Im trying to get into rebirth, what universe is he from, and how did he end up in new 52 supes' universe?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vRF_yksCgp8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump

Which comics do I have to read in order to catch up?

The New 52 (Post-Flashpoint) universe is the same Pre-Flashpoint one but with 10 years worth of moments stolen by Doctor Manhattan of Watchmen.

Both Clark and Lois from the Pre-Flashpoint universe were taken away from the timeline by Brainiac before the changes so they weren't affected by them. While they were captured Superman had his powers negated so they conceived a son, which was an impossibility before. Then they were released and tried to return to their world, only to find out that it was gone, so they chose to go to the New 52 (Post-Flashpoint universe.

But of course, taking into account what I said in the first paragraph, they did came back to their universe, it's only that it has been modified and so they just don't know yet. And neither does anybody else.

That leaves the question: Who were the New 52 Superman and Lois? It's an ongoing mystery.

In this order:

Convergence: Superman
Superman: Lois and Clark
Last Days of Superman crossover
DC Universe Rebirth Special
Superman: Rebirth #1
Current Superman ongoing (#1-11 + Annual that came out today)

I would add the current Action Comics as well. It's not as good as Superman, but both titles are going to cross over in March.

Ok thanks! So does this make him post-crisis Supes then?

Right, you can start reading them both after Superman: Rebirth

Okay, so you know how there was an Earth before New 52, and that's the Earth that was mainstream? This is that Superman, and when he found out there was already New52 Supes, he and his world's Lois started a family and stuff. Now that New52 Superman is dead, old Supes comes back, but he also has his son to worry about.

Start from this issue

Yes, he is Post-Crisis Superman.

Rebirth Supes is the real deal from before New 52.

You really don't NEED to read anything from before DC Universe Rebirth #1. That'll explain all the important stuff.

He's from the main Earth.

Canonially, the pre-Flashpoint and post-Flashpoint Earths are in fact the same universe, it's just that history has been altered.

However, right before history was altered, Superman and Lois were abducted by Brainiac into the world of the Convergence storyline.

Mysteriously, Nu52 Superman and Lois exist ANYWAY, as seperate characters somehow. The reason for this is a mystery that hasn't been solved yet, but Nu52 Superman died as a burned out husk from a solar power overload...and somehow gave Nu52 Lois his powers until she too died as a burned out husk from power overload. Which kinda implies they were fake or something 'cause usually, Superman can take that shit like a champ.

Also, there's this mystery guy called "Mr. Oz" who kept alluding to being the one who taught or even created Nu52 Supes, and now is spying on real Supes all the time and abducting other characters for some nefarious scheme, including Doomsday and Tim Drake.

Anyway, Real Superman and Lois had a kid during Convergence, then were released from Convergence World after Flashpoint happened and came home to find a world that had more than one of them and a different history, so they THINK they're on an alternate Earth, not their own. They chose to lie low and live under fake names for several years, until Nu52 Supes and Lois died, forcing them to step back into the limelight and take the dead fakes' places.

But people think Nu52 Supes was the real Supes, because in the altered history, he's the one who was actually around. The truth hasn't come out yet, so they're all still treating Real Supes like he's an immigrant from an alternate Earth.

I have that issue, I enjoyed it a lot. Why does that thing with his hands happen though? The blue thing.

Awesome, thanks.

See: >You really don't NEED to read anything from before DC Universe Rebirth #1. That'll explain all the important stuff.

DC Universe Rebirth doesn't explain that Superdad is from another universe though. It just assumes you already know there is a dead Superman (it doesn't say who) and never says Superdad and Lois are from another universe.

That makes a weird amount of sense. Like, it shouldn't but it does.

It is a mess because it's not something that was thought out in advance. The original concept of The New 52 as it was shown at the end of Flashpoint was that it was the same universe, just altered.

Then Convergence came and it turned out to be that The New 52 was an entirely different universe. And they put Lois and Clark from the Pre-Flashpoint universe in this one.

But then with Rebirth they came back to the original concept of it being the same universe, thus making Superman and Lois from the Pre-Flashpoint universe the original ones, and thus they had to address it.

Besides, N52 Superman wasn't selling well and people wanted the Supercouple back.

Haven't Convergence existed, N52 Superman and Lois would be the de-aged originals, as everyone previously thought.

>Start from this issue
No read the Lois and Clark mini series. It's on View Comic.

Okay, if I'm following what the anons have explained above, the Clark and Lois who are back now are the Clark and Lois introduced post-Crisis, while the Clark and Lois shown in the Nu52 who died are some mysterious other people?

All you need to know is that Clark and Lois are from pre-52 and that new 52 Clark and Lois are dead

These other anons are giving you theories that may very well be correct, but are not actually confirmed

New52 Superman and Louis are the originals after their histories had been altered after flashpoint. Brainiac didn't remove Superman from the timeline, he made a copy, same as he did with every other convergence city.

This Superman is a murderer. An executioner. There's no point caring about him.

Everything said in this thread is correct. Wally confirmed in Rebirth that this is the Pre-Flashpoint universe but altered. Wally and Superman are even recognizing each other in an upcoming Titans issue. What else do you need to know?

The only mystery is who the fuck were N52 Clark and Lois.

>Which kinda implies they were fake or something 'cause usually, Superman can take that shit like a champ.
I don't buy that at all. For one thing, All-Star Superman, who Sup Forums praises so fervently, couldn't handle the solar overload either. He died from supercancer.

Also, everyone seems to gloss over the fact that Lois came back in some sort of Phantom form. If she "died" the same way her Clark did, what's stopping him from doing the same?

Sorry dude, that's not happening. This Superman we have now is the real deal. DC is moving forward with Superdad and Super Sons, so be assured that this is the real Superman.

Yes, user. All deaths last forever. Wally West is the "real" Flash. Kyle Rayner is the "real" Green Lantern. Miles Morales is the "real" Spider-Man.

>All-Star Superman couldn't handle the solar overload
But Superman 1,000,000 lived inside the sun for centuries to achieve GODMODE

this is who he is: youtube.com/watch?v=vRF_yksCgp8

nu52 superman is Henry Cavill. rebirth superman is Christopher Reeve

N52 Clark and Lois are pre-flashpoint Clark and Lois after being altered, same as the rest of the fucking universe
Moron

This is more akin to Ben Reilly though.

Just because he's a copy doesn't mean he's any less real you massive faggot
That's just how Brainiac's convergence bullshit worked

the simplest conclusion is that Mr Oz cloned them from the originals, just like Ozymandias cloned his monster in Watchmen

The only thing that did any copying was fucking Brainiac, but his metafictional time-copying is flawless so I don't see what everybody is so salty about

He's pre new 52 reboot superman that was transported to new 52 continuity with Lois and his son (who was born during Convergence, a fill in event while DC changed offices).

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Any kid associated with the Super name does not last. No Superboy survives forever. Don't get attached to Jon because eventually he'll go the way of any other son superman has had.

So is he worried about his own universe
or does he not care

Don't try. People have been saying how good it is that the fake Superman is gone since supes died.

I'm still upset about the lack of trunks, but less so now that my headcanon is that he's doing so to honor Superbro.

He was sent to the new 52 universe instead of his own because he was told his universe would without a doubt be wiped out (or overwritten by whatever caused the reboot). So yeah he pretty much knows there's nothing for him to go back to and just has to make best with what he was given.

I fail to see how either superman was fake

Is man of steel his official origin then? That was always my favorite Superman origin.

they tweaked it a couple times pre-flashpoint, but yeah, pretty much. superman:birthright is the most up to date version of this particular superman's origin i think.

He's just post-Crisis Superman.

You want his origin read John Byrne's Man of Steel series.

I wonder what they're building up to with the constant barrages of "YOU AND YOU'RE FAMILY AREN'T WHO YOU THINK YOU ARE" that keeps getting repeated across the books.

the general theory seems to be that Manhattan created a new Superman and Lois to make up for their absence.

ey man if it's gone it's gone, and he thinks it's gone.

But then what's with ? Or what they're referring to is that Superdad thinks that he's the Superman of another world when in reality he's the Superman of this one?

that's a possibility.

there's 2 possibilities here, both assuming Nu52 Supes and Lois WERE copies:

1. Superdad and family are actually just copies, only they more closely match post-crisis Supes. Another user in this thread mentioned the idea of Convergence supes being a copy

2. Superdad and family are the real deal, but they just don't know that they are in fact the actual, real Superman and Lois of their new home, which has been altered by Flashpoint. Remember, they both still think they are survivors of an alternate universe