This show will never see the light of day

>This show will never see the light of day

Why live?

Other urls found in this thread:

qt.vidyagam.es/Wtv1zs3.mp4
qt.vidyagam.es/PJVgwJ1.mp4
kametsu.com/topic/54797-warning-spoilers-cartoon-network-unofficial-previews/?page=20
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

those designs are fucking hideous

theyve already been fixed
it's been greenlit, whatcher talkinbout?

Looks fucking shit.

It's a shitty idea for a show. The entire aesthetic of "Ironic over the top pseudo-anime action hero with 80s influences" just outright repulses me.

I'm sorry for your shit taste.

Why you want this to life?

I'm sorry that you think ripping off early anime and NES games constitutes style.

if you don't like it then gtfo autismo

looks like a steven universe ripoff

Is that Shantae?

maybe you should go live in a garbage can then

>using design influences = ripping off

Wow what a fucking hack that Genndy.

>just because its a style ive branded things i dont like in, it must be bad
Neck yourself calarts faggots

Perhaps it's for the best.

its ugly.plain and simple

Its cute asthetically pleasing and your a tasteles bitch for not loving the style

Yay! More CalArts!

again, there are multiple versions of this show's art. a few of them are really ugly, but others are okay. I'm PRETTY sure we're getting the good version on TV

>what a great day to live.

Fixed

It's overused yes, but it's not ugly.

ive never said this before but this is the most tumblr thing ive heard on this site
i actually saw a character from the show,i think it was a redhead with tan skin,that i actually liked aswell a blonde with a bow and arrow. The designs have potential,but then again,the show itself could make up for the style

It will, eventually... What are they even storyboarding, though?

What is OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes even supposed to be?

>That super professional last one
Made me smile for some reason.

Gennedy doesn't rip off the most superficial elements of a genre or style. If he were to do a video game-inspired show, it wouldn't just be Nintendo references, for example.

>pastel color scheme
>circular eyes
>bean mouths
>cheeks bigger than forehead
>that frankenstein's monster-looking guy's hand
>characters in the background that have tons of stupid design choices and barely make up a cohesive style

enough of this fucking calarts shit

Bee and Puppycat's finale(?) reminded me how much I love classic anime. Hopefully this show can give me more of that feel.. and ideally somewhat more competently than, say, old PPG did, which really had just a dusting of it over an otherwise hanna-barbera thing.
How great would it be if we could actually get toy sales out of this?

Ian JQ went to SVA

I dont like the name.

He kind of does. he seems to be married to the flintstones/jetsons era of ultra-flat no-budget hanna-barbera.
this doesn't rip off only the superficial elements of what it emulates, in fact it could stand to use MORE of them.

OK Kid

these are some pretty limp attempts at getting people mad. Feels like you're barely trying. Are you perhaps a little exhausted? You might need a rest

I think these people are just legitimately-tired-of some shit but they're having trouble defining it
like how i feel every time a cgi movie comes out and the faces look like picassos

This is just a very boring and exhausting discussion. Remember all the wasted months people spent trying to armchair criticize the new art style of SU based on like two drawings? After the show came out, that conversation ended because the reason for the new style was completely clear in context

i'd say a better example would be Transformers Animated
granted the final show was still.... let's say flawed.. but it wasn't a fraction as bad as the first image we saw

or a more recent example, that new justice league show. the first shots we got, batman looked like a little boy

agreed, both of those shows had the same thing happen

Which style are they going with for the series?

the style of the poster

the main difference here is we've seen like four or five different styles for this show, including multiple different shorts that each look like a pilot, but are evidently... intentionally done by different artists, more as previews? it's something no cartoon has ever done, that I know of.
I like aspects of several of them, and I'm pretty sure the final one is , plus or minus a few tweaks.. and while it aint my favorite, I'll take it. I mean shit, Flapjack and Chowder sure as hell weren't up my alley artwise, but I watched them anyway
This looks like a nice hybrid of adventure time and regular show style, with some pretty decent understanding of perspective and angles. I'll take it. Until I can get my own cartoon show someday, which pretty much aint happening since pen ward basically already IS me and they don't need another one, this will have to do

They should come up with a lengthy story about how Ian JQ was really rude to him on Deviantart a few years ago then keep coming back here repeating the summary of what happened in an attempt to get Sup Forums to go attack him angry nerd style.

That gets results.

First and third pilots look like it, sort of. There are a lot of mixes in that poster.

I hear that Jeremy Polgar is apparently working on OK K.O.! as well. That's enough to get me excited for whatever the hell Ian JQ keeps hyping up and teasing on Twitter every now and then.

Yo when I saw the OP picture I was thinking the same thing lmao

The character designer didnt go to calarts.

most charcater designers at calarts end up going to disney or some other shitty feature studio. more story and generalists are coming out of there these days. only character designer i can think of on a CN show in recent is colin howard, but that's it.

most of the "calarts style" is mostly derived from kids at SVA, but it's funner to blame a boogie man for trends, i guess.

It's like calling people communists or something. Even if they're not doing anything communist It's a handy catch-all term for "people doing things I don't like"

Or the simple fact that a thing, correctly identified but mislabeled, is still the thing it's identified as. At a certain point you just have to give up and let them be cell phones and cinnamon.
i vehemently disagree with the objections of these oversimplifiers, but it's still pretty clear what they're seeing, and they rarely misidentify it. it is what it is.. and it has a lot of bad 'tumblr' shit in it, but it also has a lot of wonderful unique goodness in it, something which, 10-20 years ago, we were worried cartoons would never have again.

Oh, I'm in no way disagreeing. I desperately wish we could have a little more wiggle room in terms of stylization and art style in cartoons. Like, I thought the recent CN pilots were great, but visually they were just stale.
I'm mostly frustrated with the label because it's stressful and has some awkward and frustrating consequences for people that are interested in wanting to make cartoons or just go to the school itself.

The thing is this is no different from any other era of cartoon history which is something people tend to ignore. Also the fact that the animation industry is extremely tight knit. People hire friends, friends are inspired by friend's work, and you get this cycle of people drawing similarly. It's inevitable in any and every art industry and movement, but I doubt anyone on Sup Forums is that into art history or anything like that to really care or acknowledge that fact.

>>The thing is this is no different from any other era of cartoon history which is something people tend to ignore.
I think that's the part they're frustrated about. It was something we hoped would end. we should be seeing more diversity by now, given how the industry has expanded (or how it was LOOKING like it would expand before it kinda crunched again)
>tight knit
and that too. it's a double-edged sword.
still, I feel like I could easily be pals with these fuckers. adventure time, homestarrunner, rick and morty, and gravity falls all have something to them that I used to never see outside of my own work. and now it's everywhere kind of. Naturally we're going to see some highly corporate attempts to cash in on it, but right now we're also seeing examples of the opposite, and it turns out that doesn't work well either. Too indy means poor funding and creator burnouts and/or laziness.

There is always one random dude hating on every one of these mini cartoon things CN does.

Lakewood Plaza Turbo sounds much better as the title. Why the fuck did they change it? For fuck's sake.

Why are YOU mad? That's the real question that should be answered here?

Did you fall for the Cal Arts meme and end up fucked too? Lol

I'm just mad that this new title is gonna confuse everyone--especially regarding the tags--since everybody's too lazy to punctuate it correctly:
>OK KO
>OK K.O!
>O.K. KO!
OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes is the correct way if you just follow the fucking logo.

I bet it was some retarded executive meddling as usual thinking this would maximize exposure to kids with the completely patronizing subtitle, but now it will have the exact opposite effect.

I wanna Bow HER Arrow!

didn't a nigger make this show?

I just can't wait for more of Enid's fucking legs.

definitely

(Speaks in a Mr Plinkett tone)

YOU LIKED THAT CRAP!?

Guys, two new shorts were leaked today

Enid's Bad Day: qt.vidyagam.es/Wtv1zs3.mp4

Carol: qt.vidyagam.es/PJVgwJ1.mp4

Based user

DUDE THE 90'S LMAO

>Lakewood Plaza Turbo sounds much better as the title
I disagree. it gave me a really strong 'secret mountain fort awesome' vibe, and combined with the neon logo colors it was a major turnoff
OK KO isnt great but it gets the concept across.

subtitles are anime tradition! even better if they appear BEFORE the title like 'new mobile report'

I am going to draw so much fucking fanart of this show. it's going to translate fantastically into my style.

So if we can't use 'calarts' can we find a new catch all term to summarize this cancerous trendy artstyle for cartoons?

This, they even tried to copy the font.

it's sugar's husband, why wouldn't he do that?
just like mccracken's wife made her ponies look powerpuffesque, and before that her other cartoon she tried to make.. which looked like something bleedman would do

I just want actual action shows to come bacl

that would be nice. but when they turned that goofy-ass ben 10 into a legit serious action show, Sup Forums bitched and whined.. and then when they changed it back into a mindless cartoon Sup Forums loved it again, or something. so i'm getting mixed messages

HOLY!!!

WHERE DID YOU FIND THESE!!!'

THANLKK YOU!

But it's on track for production.

That seems a little serendipitous. I'm beginning to think someone made this thread specifically to leak these.

>qt.vidyagam.es/PJVgwJ1.mp4
And just like that Carol is my new favorite mom.

Animation looks good, sound production is alright, the blender gag made me laugh. I look forward to it.

Seems like a strange URL for a producer to use.

fantastic moms is a major anime thing.

Neither of these represents what the final show is going to look like, right?

>there will never ever be r34 of this character

just wait, youll have it in another year or so.

I'll probably draw some.

Cartoony?

The links are from Kametsu: kametsu.com/topic/54797-warning-spoilers-cartoon-network-unofficial-previews/?page=20

I have a lot of respect for Ian, but the shorts didn't really have actual any kind of authentic retro video game charm. It was more like a bunch of shallow references.

Such as "Remember what Mike Haggar looked like? Funny right?" Or "Dragonball was a thing!"

There is virtually nothing there insightful or that actual fans of video games might appreciate. And while I know they need to appeal to people with zero game knowledge to get it greenlit, simultaneously, they might as well not pretend it's for fans of video games to begin with. All that's left is pure camp.

the later were guest animation studio shorts, not pilots

I don't know, it feels like the 2-minute shorts abandoned the direct referencing almost completely

from the man who brought you this

References alone aren't my issue. It's that they don't go far enough. It makes the "video game" aspect seem disingenuous.

It's like when you see someone playing video games on a TV show, and all you hear is "BLIP BLOOP BLEEP" but the show was made after the 90's. It's what 60 year olds think video games are. Like what CSI is to computers.

"LASER BEAMS AND ROBOTS, LOL!"

>qt.vidyagam.es/PJVgwJ1.mp4
They are still experimenting with the style?

yeah but at this point people grew up on those tv shows, so it's kinda like the old-timey phone icon being how you represent phones, even though for me, growing up, phones were square things with keypads and a removable wireless receiver, with a big button to make it sound if you lost it in the house.

In fairness retro gaming is huge right now. that might have been stupid in the 90s but nowadays it could be a virtual console game, emulator, some retro indy game...
still guest animators for each short i think

omniverse was both and was great

looked fucking awful to me, but I'll admit I didn't give it a chance. couldn't get past the art.

>It's like when you see someone playing video games on a TV show, and all you hear is "BLIP BLOOP BLEEP" but the show was made after the 90's.

I always thought this was strange. Video games on tv shows always make weird 70's game noises. I don't think it is all that nit picky to want something closely resemblinb what you might see today in a show made today.

Even metal music and machine gun noises would be a bit closer.

that show was literally waifuverse you missed out in my opinion.
also had some great lines.

>Haaah it took you 5 years to capture me? Villgax did it in like 5 seconds
>*ben gets punched*

So wait, people itt would rather that OK KO be "videogame references: the show"?

That sounds awful.

Why does the main character remind me of Parappa?

So really you're just making the argument that now SVA attendees produce shit character designs

It may seem that way to an observer, but as someone who actually grew up with retro video games, very very few are so cliche to resemble retro pulp science fiction. And those that did already did it from an angle of irony.

what do you mean exactly?