Disney Parks

Can we have a good old fashioned Disney Parks thread?

Feel free to discuss attractions, characters, changes in park policy, park food, park renovations, you name it!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/RYZezq7rTmE
youtube.com/watch?v=8TIklXtMDGk
youtube.com/watch?v=_2WMLV1UeuM
youtube.com/watch?v=DwY2OqEvhS8
youtube.com/watch?v=FInYxXpbJMg
youtube.com/watch?v=9L9ZAdtNZc0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I love these threads. Anything new since around 2013 or so? That's the last time I remember going.

Frozen ride replaced Maelstrom in Epcot.

MK Attractions Coordinator (think of it as shift manager) reporting in.

If anyone has a weird question, I'm going to bed, but I'll check back in a few minutes, and again in the morning.

>wheelchair seating for the christmas parade
>snow machines
>jingle cruise for the first time
>got a family photo with carol donald and scrooge
>all up in them complementary hot cocoa, cider and cookies

Shit was so cash.

I really don't like the new design of Mickey and Minnie's faces.

So what exactly is it that you do?

>wheelchair seating

Are you disabled? I don't mean this in a patronizing way, I'm just wondering what sort of condition or injury you have.

>tfw Mark Twain's boat ride was closed when I went to Disneyland with my family

What did I miss?

I'm just waiting for Star Wars land
That said, I'm going to Disney World on New Years, so I'm sure that will be very crowded and fun

So, do you guys think they're going to gut the Tiki Room and replaced it with something Moana-themed?

My friend went for New Year's last year. She said some of the ride waits were 3+ hours.

I don't know if this is an "unpopular opinion" or whatever, but I'm excited for Avatarland. More excited for Avatarland than Star Warsland. It looks cool as fuck, and will probably be much better than the movie itself. It's easy to say "I like Star Wars, I'll like a Star Wars land" but I think some things are just natural theme parks. Pandora seems natural for theming and it looks like Disney is taking advantage of it.

Shattered ankle, going to be setting off metal detectors for the foreseeable future with all these screws in me.

Reminder

Maybe at Disney World.

I can only imagine the outrage if they tried it over at DLR.

Fuck yeah been waiting for another one of these threads.

Just went and renewed my pass last Tuesday. I think I'm in love with the girl I went with but that's another story.

We got a lot done surprisingly for Thanksgiving week. The big rides like Space Mountain (Anyone else thing Hyperspace Mountain is awful?) were 2 hours long but got on a lot of the smaller stuff and dark rides really easy.

Went on the Jingle Cruise for the first time. I had heard a lot of flak but I loved it honestly. I went at night (Which is the ONLY way to do the Jungle Cruise) and our skipper was great. Lot of self-depreciating humor.

Seeing Tower of Terror is depressing. I thought us over in California raised hell whenever they tried to take history out of the park? How the hell is Florida keeping their Tower of Terror? And I STILL haven't gone on Radiator Springs Racers.

The boat or the island? I don't bother with the boat but the island is really cool. Especially since they added more pirate stuff it's actually pretty spoopy sometimes. It's just a cool atmospheric place. And I feel like it's really ignored by most park goers so it's rarely ever crowded and is a nice relaxing getaway from the craziness of the rest of the park. It's not a MUST SEE but you did miss Fantasia which IS a must see so go back for that if nothing else when it's reopened.

>going at New Years
As a former audience control cast member, I wish you good luck. I still have flashbacks.

>Tower of Terror

There's still a bit of an uproar, but the consensus in these threads is that it's no big loss seeing that it's only the inferior west coast version that getting the makeover. I'm sure that if it wasn't for that licensing restriction, the Florida one would've been made over as well. I've been working on going to ride one last time, even if I miss out on that late check-out. Would've gone this past Friday, but my pass was blacked out, so I had to make a detour to Knott's instead. (No big loss there)

Can't comment on Hyperspace Mountain due to personal bias. I am curious, though, as to how long they plan to keep it there, especially since it looks like SWLand will be wrapped up later than expected.

>Late Checkout

I'm so mad. One of the coolest rides with one of the coolest LINES is getting closed so they go and make it even cooler at the end.

What's the Florida one like? I'd never actually heard that it was significantly better than ours.

And as for Hyperspace Mountain I just think it's really poorly done. The projections aren't high quality at all so you're in a pitch black room and then you see off-grey rectangles projected onto the walls with Star Wars scenes in them. It's so tacky and feels way too unprofessional for Disney.

Ghost Galaxy is awesome but Hyperspace Mountain is embarrassing and the sooner it's gone the better I'd rather ride in darkness.

>Projections

When you put it like that, I have to agree. They're too bright for the environment.

>Florida ToT

Completely different ride layout. The California one is shaped more like an upside-down 'F' (horizontal = bridge linking the loading area to the vertical drop shaft). In the event they have two cars running in a single shaft, it works so that one car is loading while the other is in the drop shaft. The Florida one is more unique in design. It has two shafts; one in the rear (which is where the car loads and goes through the show scenes), and the drop shaft in front (which is linked to the rear by a bridge containing the 'fifth dimension' sequence absent from the California version). It also features randomized drops, additional randomized effects inside the drop shaft, and alternate Sterling dialogue and audio, as well as a storehouse filled with old TZ props.

Member thee guys?

>tfw I will never find someone down enough to take a Disney World vacation with me

I feel like nobody else I know is as autistically dedicated to Disney as I am to spend all that money. I know one girl who I had a huge crush on that took Disney World Vacations all the time but outside of work she seemed to keep everyone at a distance. But I also don't have the balls to go alone.

Disney doesn't

It's actually sad, I was at Epcot two weeks ago and everything was pretty packed but there was NO line for Imagination.

we need to make imagination great again.

I'd kill to be able to go to WDW. I've only ever been to DLR, and the closest I've ever been to another was a flyover of HKDL.

let's go together user it'll be romantic

My dream is to go to Tokyo Disneyland though. They get so much cool fucking merch. I've been sitting here contemplating this phone case import in pic related. $50 but look at how sick that is.

Japan gets pretty ridiculous disney branded phone accessories

Like this blows my mind for some reason youtu.be/RYZezq7rTmE

I just love that they love the obscure Disney characters so shit like Three Caballeros and Oswald are popular and get actual merch and meet & greets.

Exactly

How do you guys feel about Shanghai Pirates ride?

youtube.com/watch?v=8TIklXtMDGk

Jesus fuck. All those cell phones...

What is with their (based) obsession with the Three Caballeros?

Honestly dude I feel like Hyperspace Mountain is better. It, along with Ghost Galaxy, makes the ride more engaging than vanilla Space Mountain.

The Hatbox Ghost got introduced in the Haunted Mansion in 2015

I've remember before years ago hearing from another user living in Japan on...I think Sup Forums or Sup Forums possibly that the Japanese fucking LOVE hispanics. Something about their culture being so over the top and caricaturized.

Brazil has the largest Japanese population outside Japan.

Fair enough. Hispanic culture is pretty cool IMO; though I honestly believe watching Caballeros so much as a kid influenced me on that lmao

I wish it was a more beloved Disney film despite not being a traditional movie.

That's a bummer. I'll admit I never rode the original version, but I love that ride. Good song, comfy way to rest for a minute, and motherfucking Weebo cameos in the queue, what's not to like?

I just watched Saludos Amigos and Caballeros the other day after having not seen them since I was a kid. They really are underrated as hell. They get a lot of flak for being part of the war time block that was just compilations of shorts. But the combination off live action with animation was fucking masterful in those movies. And some of the sequences were some Fantasia level beauty. The entire ending from You Belong to my Heart to the finale in Caballeros is a good example.

I also think Panchito and Jose are some of the best toons Disney has ever created. (Not feature film characters but the Mickey & Friends type that are used in shorts and more Looney Tunes-esque)

Now I want that phone case even more.

Yeah, I wish they were more apart of the Mickey brand. You think with all of this diversity pushing Hollywood's been doing, they would be. Better not to ruin them I guess.

Panchito and Jose were in Mickey Mouse at least.

youtube.com/watch?v=_2WMLV1UeuM

youtube.com/watch?v=DwY2OqEvhS8

I know they're both really popular in their native countries and have gotten comics and stories down there. But with as fucking godawful as the new voices for them are (Jose is LITERALLY just Yacko) it's probably best they stay dead.

What's the most outrageous shit you've ever had to deal with?

>all up in them complementary hot cocoa, cider and cookies
Since when is anything ever complimentary?

I'm in my last year of high school.
My best friend and I are planning to go to Disneyland together someday. Not soon, but maybe in a couple of years.
It's gonna be rad.

Hope you two have an awesome time. You can't do any worse than when I went to gradnight with my best friend.
That night was the start of the end of our friendship.

>Have a Deluxe Annual Passport for Disneyland and California Adventure.
>Never actually go.

The last time I went was back in October, I just hope I can get in before I'm locked out for Christmas.

honestly I'm betting within 10 years at the very most they'll end up retheming Avatarland to be something else due to lack of relevance(honestly I'm amazed it didn't get torpedoed before they started building it)

>honestly I'm betting within 10 years at the very most they'll end up retheming Avatarland to be something else due to lack of relevance.
>lack of relevance.

That or they'll just get sick of paying 20th Century Fox for the license.

She's lying. I've worked almost a dozen New Years, and have access to wait time data, the longest waits are only a couple hours.

Still long, but not 3+. And that's a couple attractions at parade dump.

Plus, you have to learn to master the fastpass

I know this gets asked in every thread but what's the best time to go visit disney world orlando if you want to avoid all crowds as much as you can?

My guess is February-April

Has anyone been to Disneyland in Tokyo?

I want to, but I find it really hard to justify flying to the other side of the world and then just going to a Disney park

Florida resident here; pretty sure the only thing stopping WDW from doing the same with our Tower of Terror is the agreement with Universal Studios.

How exactly does one gain employment at a Disney Park? What are the qualifications and respective benefits for the various positions there?

>went to DW halloween for honeymoon
>dressed as Figment (including horns,wings, tail)
>button "looking for Dreamfinder"
>only staff knew who I was

Two comic minis that have sold well with a third on the way. Surely someone in the film division's gotta take notice sometime.

>I'm sure that if it wasn't for that licensing restriction, the Florida one would've been made over as well.

Guardians in Florida's still happening and they're toying with either putting it in Tower or replacing Universe of Energy at Epcot.

The Marvel contract at Universal only covers characters from Spider-Man, Avengers, Fantastic Four and X-Men.

That means Disney can use Big Hero 6, Guardians and Doctor Strange in Florida and in fact, they've slapped together some meet and greet/magic show shit with Strange already.

Speaking of Epcot, why exactly did Walt's plan of making the "community of the future" not pan out (aside from his death, of course), and was it even really feasible had he lived?

Two years overdue & 200 million dollars overbudget.

I've seen test footage of the animatronic Na'vi in action, it LOOKS hyper realistic in terms of breathing, eyelids opening & closing, minute expression which look great for about 15 seconds & then you realize it doesn't actually DO anything beyond that.

Cameron hates it & Imagineering hates Cameron.

You seen the new test footage with dialog? Looks incredible.

youtube.com/watch?v=FInYxXpbJMg

>not knowing james cameron is planning for avatar to be a multi-generational famous movie series much like star wars

thats why disney is making it into a theme park

That homage to the POTC ride....

I for one am super excited for the second installment in the avatar series, though apparently its not gonna be called avatar (which makes sense, because the series is about the navi, not the humans). I'm excited to see what the 10's of the 21st century have in store for advances in cinemographic technology. Maybe Cameron has waited so long to make the movie because technology hasnt improved so much since the last one.

Why not explore Japan too?

I think it's safe to say that ship has long since sailed. Avatar may be the highest-grossing movie of all time, but a large part of that was just because of the extensive CGI and 3D gimmick, both of which are fucking everywhere now. Seven years down the line, it's pretty clear that most people have all but forgotten it even exists.

Guy on the right looks horrified with what he's created.

He wanted people to actually live there, and without someone like Walt helming it, I don't think it ever could have happened. If he lived longer than he did, EPCOT probably wouldn't be a "park", it'd be like employee housing with the ability for regular guests to come in for events and stuff.

They tried it with Celebration but that was a whole shitshow

You and I are in the same boat, and that cutoff is quickly approaching.

>had most expensive pass all 365 days open and parking included
>900
>break up with ex who I used to go with
>new girl I went with got a boyfriend after the first time we went together
>all the other people with passes I knew kept saying we'd go but never followed through
>reconnect with high school crush the week before my pass expires

I went twice. I didn't even get my physical pass until a week before it expired the lady who does the passes made me feel like shit for it

Yeah, I know that is what I *should* do, but...

I WANNA GO TO DISNEYLAND

That's Joe Rohde, the Imagineer in charge of Animal Kingdom. Loves world travel and attention to detail, which is why Animal Kingdom is so aesthetically fantastic despite the small attraction roster.

They also put him in charge of the Marvel stuff being put into the parks and he's very fucking uncomfortable in the announcement video for the Guardians tower.

youtube.com/watch?v=9L9ZAdtNZc0

He's known in fandom circles for his crazy earring collection, but it's like the stress of doing these shitty IP projects is making his earlobe go full JUST.

>brazil
>hispanics