How it's posible that Pacino didn't win the Oscar for this?

Instead Robert Duvall won it for this:
youtube.com/watch?v=YEnj-xU19uQ

I haven't watch it but it doesn't mean a very difficult character.

Also, now that I notice it, the movie in itself wasn't even nominated?

How can be this explained?

I just watched it (Scarface) and is a very very good movie: the story is very well told, the characters are great, it feels very realistic, the photography, fucking Al Pacino is pure genious here (better than in Scent Of A Woman for which he won the Oscar).... the soundtrack is also great.

It was a great and fun movie to watch and very good looking, and well told...

I don't understand it!!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zW2xKp59LYo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Oscars don't mean shit, really.
Or any awards...

It's a laughably hammy performance in a trashy crime flick.

Tender Mercies is a good film and Robert Duvall is great in it.

Academy voters don't like violent films. That's always been a thing.

hahahahahahaha It's a piece of art my friend.

Huh, I never knew Robert Duvall won an Oscar for Best Actor.
He deserved one for The Great Santini.

that's it, I knew it has to be some of that bullshit

But Denzel Washignton won the oscar for Trainning Day.

I also noticed that GTA Vice City is very very inspired by this movie. The las scene is almost identical in the game. The shooting in the mansion.

Actors always win Oscar's for the wrong movies. Pacino got snubbed a few times and so they had to make it up to him when he played the blind man.

Oscar's don't mean shit. In the end, it's just a group of people's opinions. Just because they reach a general consensus doesn't mean they are right.

Because Scarface is a pretty crappy movie with a dumb plot and hammy acting.

Yeah, that the reason why Meryl Streep has won 3 and has been nominated 20 times, more than any other actor or actrees in history.

the movie was universally panned as too violent and criticized for white actors playing cubans. Pacinos role was not appreciated until years later due to the success of VHS and home rental. To this day, pacino says people still quote to him from it more than any other film he's done.

Carlito's Way is better.

Tender Mecries was excellent, Scarface is a corny genre flick

The movie is good but his performance is so over the top. It worked out but not how I think was intended. He's funnier than he is intimidating in like every scene they were trying to portray him as a bad ass.

>pretty crappy movie
You know that isn't real. Nobody with a little brain can say it's a pretty crappy movie.

>with a dumb plot
Plot? Is a movie about a fucking cuban drug lord in Miami that gets mad. What's the problem with the plot?

>hammy acting
Al Pacino just nailed the craziness.

I was going to say that I remember doing a shit load of coke around the time the anniversary edition was released, then I looked up when that version came out and it was 2003, and I thought that can't be right but then I realized I was 18 or 19 at the time and now I feel old as fuck.

Ohh I will watch that too, thanks. Also Brian De Palma again. It's seems veeery similar.

The Oscar's tend to prefer movies with liberal values. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but many memorable 80s movies had violence and conservative undertones.
It never had a chance with white liberals because all they saw was white actors playing Cubans and criminal stereotypes. Nevermind that Scarface had sharp criticisms of capitalism and wealth; a theme that most liberals tend to enjoy.

I think that he seems more like a crazy or unstable person than a bad ass. He is like some vulgar guy but that is mad and is very violent.

It's barely a step above a grindhouse movie dude.

Yeah no shit dumbass

how profound no one's ever pointed that out before LEAVE YOUR ROOM

Yeah, no. You see what you want to see. It's objectively very well made with good cinematography and atmosphere, similar to grindhouse only in terms of violence.

That poster man... I love that movie

kill yourself

hahahahahahahahahahahaha literally GTA Vice City

At least in this thread we are talking a little about cinema and not about tits or stupid memes.

Great flick

>Best Actress
kek, not like she has any fucking competition. Jennifer Lawrence has a fucking Best Actress Oscar for a shitty romcom, and was nominated again after that. The category is a joke, its the only reason why Streep has so many noms

Vice City is the best GTA and has the best soundtrack.

So are you telling me that hasn't been better actresses since Meryl Street is there?

OP, Scarface was ahead of it's time and is the DEFINITIVE MOVIE of the 1980's, even more so than Wall Street, and encapsulated everything that decade was about!!!FACT!!!

>It has been reported that Cher loved the film; Lucille Ball saw the film with her family and hated it because of its strong language and graphic violence; and Dustin Hoffman was said to have fallen asleep.[32] Writers Kurt Vonnegut and John Irving were among those who allegedly walked out in disgust after the notorious chainsaw scene.[33] At the middle of the film, Scorsese turned to Bauer and told him, "You guys are great – but be prepared, because they're going to hate it in Hollywood... because it's about THEM."[34]

What a bunch of pussies, ohhhhhhhhh a chainsaw scene that don't show almost nothing. Also what did Scorsese mean by "it's about them"?

Based Martin
I really fucking love that guy.
As much as I believe there are very charismatic women actresses, it was evident that the category was a joke this year when Stone won an Oscar.
I mean she wasn't even the best in the film she was acting in, Gosling being by far more interesting and capable to act out a character. It's a shame, really.

>Based Martin
But what did he mean? In what way the movie is about Hollywood?

>jew need peeple like me so jew can point da finger and say "theres the bad guy"

>Also what did Scorsese mean by "it's about them"?

the film shows scumbags and crooks using might and subversion to build a mountain of wealth and pseudo-respectability

Scarface was a really shitty b-movie. It's fun but not anything special.

it has a-grade aesthetics, but B-movie acting and story telling

youtube.com/watch?v=zW2xKp59LYo