What do you do?

>"what fer"

Coens are GOAT

Similar films:

>Hell or High Water
>Unforgiven
>Assassination of Jesse James
>Wind River

Worth watching There Will Be Blood as well, which NCFOM beat for best picture.

All these. Id recommend Blue Ruin, although it is not nearly in the same leave as No Country

>"just call it. i cant call it for you"

The Coen bros have a knack for making films where you get enthralled and have no idea what's going to happen next.

Fargo
A Simple Man
Big Lebowski
True Grit

Etc

>"i gots to know what i have to lose"

Big Lebowski and True Grit are both trash.

This.

I don't even know the right word to describe their movies. They always make you feel like you were on a big adventure, even though the plot itself was pretty ordinary compared to other movies. What about their writing makes it so good?

I think their scenes give you time to absorb and reflect on what's happening. They don't use a lot of quick cuts and stuff like that

>"everything. you know the date on this coin? 1958. It's been travelling 22 years to get here, and now it's here. And now it's either heads or tails, and now you have to say. Call it."

Let me flip it

That's kind of a reoccurring theme of theirs that life is meaningless and a series of random events, their movies play like that in some ways.

yet you don't list their best film which is miller's crossing. what a pleb. sad!

>a reoccurring theme of theirs that life is meaningless
What? How could you possibly gather that?

Oops, i meant A Serious Man instead of Simple

Out of all their films, Blood Simple probably has the closest brooding vibe to it

One of the Coen's biggest strengths to me is the effort they put into creating the worlds in which their movies occur. Most often in their work this means taking a relatively small section of America in a very specific cultural and historical period and actually working hard at making that world a reality in the film. Their films might often deal with small issues, but the worlds in which they happen feel huge and realistic.

>"okay friendo. go for it. i call heads."

Well for starters many of their movies are just blatantly nihilistic? What are you watching lol

Are you implying that this is obvious in their movies or you don't agree with that? Dumb frogposter.

All of their movies are based on the principles of

>Shit happens
And
>You never know what's coming

Everything always seems to return to how it was in the beginning of the movies

it would be the flick of the decade if it had an actual climax. the death of Brolin and the whole final part of the movie is the most disappointing cinema experience i've had. it is really awful

Get a load of the pleb. He completely missed the point

>Randomness makes life meaningless
???

Like in "A Serious MAn" the entire point was that "shit happens" but you can't be a feckless cuck that lets it roll over you.

that's the whole point of the movie you stupid fucking pleb

But the main character remained a cuck throughout the whole movie and still got a "happy" ending

How was it happy?

>his nemesis died
>his son became a man
>his wife got back together with him
>he got the korean kid and his parents off his back
>he got tenure

>gets cancer and loses a kid
>happy

Did you not see the quotation marks

And we don't know if he has cancer or if the son died, and Larry definitely wouldn't know at that time either

>Cuck
>Being this fucking pleb

The entire point was asking the question can the world be interpreted. 'What's going on?' is asked by larry multiple times. The movie shows a bunch of characters and how they deconstruct their worlds and interpret everything. When unforeseen things happen we look for meaning, but ultimately we're left with frustration at best. The movie is doubled in this message as the movie itself is left without much of a conclusion, much like a lot of other cohen brothers movies. The answer isn't what matters, it's the questions we ask.

Only a cuck asks "what's going on?" A serious man would know what was going on and would be the one responsible. Only a cuck gets pulled through life like a blade of grass drifting down a creek.

It's an eye opener when you realise ALL of their films are set at some point in the past (except maybe Blood Simple).

I think it's genius, it's much easier to quantify a time period after the fact, instead of setting a film in the opaque, subjective "now".

That's really interesting user, tell me more. You film analysis is quite impressive.

Is Fargo set far in the past?
The Ladykillers seemed to be set in present times as well.

Really though, thankyou for reminding me the sort of people that browse this board and how much goes over your head. Do you also get mad when the good guy doesn't shoot/talk/katana the bad guy how you would?

Really. I'd bet you think O Brother, Where Art Thou takes place in 2017

looked it up and it says 1987. things were significantly different from the mid 80s to mid 90s. i guess it's not that far in the past in terms of time, but it is a long time culturally

I think I expected too much from this scene. I just watched the movie the other day and I was expecting alpha male behaviour, all I got was actors reciting lines.

>Released in '96
>Set in '87

Similar time scale with Burn After Reading, its not a huge differential, buts it's enough to get a "read" on what quantified the the specific time period in which the film is set.

Haven't seen the Ladykilkers, so can't comment.

What do you think alpha male behaviour looks like? You wanted him to puff his chest out, fuck the old guys wife in front of him or something?

He clearly sees the clerk as no more than an insignificant ant, that could be effortlessly snuffed out at a moments notice.

Anton is the alpha in every fuckin scene he's in, even when he's on the other end of a phone call

>You wanted him to puff his chest out, fuck the old guys wife in front of him or something?

No he just looked like an actor trying to play mysterious and tough. I have no qualms about the writing of the scene.

the point of the movie is to be disappointed at how shit it is?

shit opinion

what

There are lots of movies that try to be like it but none of them really succeed because they are all formulaic. NCFOM is like the most anti-formulaic thriller ever. There's not even any music and it's still extremely tense. The protagonist dies off screen to random Mexicans, nobody finds the money, and the bad guy gets away after killing the poor innocent wife for no other reason than he told the (now dead) protagonist he would do it. It all works towards the theme of all this shit being completely out of anyone's control; you can't expect anything to go as planned

>Are there any other movies like this?
Of course not, it's the best movie of all time.

too accessible to be great. If the average Joe can enjoy something it is not worth your time.

Learn to put spoiler brackets when you're about to ruin it for the rest of us user

The greatest of things necessarily can be enjoyed by all, like the sun or the sea breeze or this movie

Based Coen bros filtering plebs left and right

>If the average Joe can enjoy something it is not worth your time.
how is that even relevant? So if you were the only person who'd ever seen it it would be great, but because other people saw it and liked it that means it's not?

There's nothing amazing about the obvious.

spoken like a true retard with no idea what they're talking about

so nothing can be obviously amazing?

But the most amazing things are always the most obvious, user.

It is only shallow people who do not judge by appearances. The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible.

Collateral if you are looking for another existential duel between a professional and a layman

It is no achievement to appreciate the obvious. Appreciation of the obscure and complex proves a sharper mind.

What was the point of Woody's character?

>appreciation is a competition

Yet it says nothing about the object of appreciation but only about he who appreciates.

>f you were the only person who'd ever seen it it would be great, but because other people saw it and liked it that means it's not?

Welcome to Sup Forums

Moss wasn't a layman at all, he was a seasoned 'Nam veteran who could remain composed and level headed even when being fired upon by an unseen shooter. He ambushed and almost killed Chigurh in the street because he knew that whoever was shooting at him would probably go and investigate the wreck of the truck.

Nam vets like him were often way more dangerous and effective in combat than were gangsters or cops.

Wtf is this movie about abyway?

The oldschool fazing out

>fazing