Why are people so butthurt about extended copyright laws, particularly in regards to Disney?

Why are people so butthurt about extended copyright laws, particularly in regards to Disney?

The company is still around, so why do so many feel that they should just lose the rights to Mickey Mouse?

t. Mouseketeer

Why people have such loyalty towards faceless companies I'll never understand

Mega corps shouldn't exists

Like it or not bud, the reason we get cartoons/movies/video games etc is because of mega corps.

People shit on America for their big corporations, but they are arguably the most dominant force in popular culture today.

Found the lolberations. Don't you have some roads to protest?

I thought they were all about corporations doing shit? It's the government they hate for rasins

>lolberations
Found the illiterate Mouseketeer. Don't you have school tomorrow?

Because disney is fucking evil and kills are with its cold family friendly heartless drivel

>Don't you have school tomorrow?
You got that backwards.

People who hate on copyright laws are butthurt millenials who think they are entitled to other people's work and money.

I'm glad someone gets this

however the point of copyright expiration is you have to keep making NEW things, not just stripmining the same old shit

Disney has kinda painted themselves into a corner with their mascot because Mickey IS the face of Disney. They really need to start trying to push a new mascot or logo or something because in theory, they can't keep getting the courts to extend copyrights indefinitely.

Because it keeps getting extended and the public domain can encourage creativity just as much as copyright protection does. Disney shouldn't take advantage of the public domain when it's convenient and then refuse to contribute when it's their turn.

>bwaaah, I'm ENTITLED to use dead people's creations for free!

There's nothing good that'd come out of public domain mickey, just "edgy" parodies.

Fucking conservative little bitch, those PC fucks shouldnt be controlling our media, regardless if they """"earned"""" it

>creativity

How is using someone else's work "creativity"?

And personally I don't think strict copyright laws stifle creativity, if anything they do the opposite. America is somewhat stricter with copyrights than other nations, yet still produce more shows/movies/cartoons/comics than anyone else.

Your right faggot, i am entitled to use that hack disneys works to mock the current state of his shitty company. Get fucked you massive bastard.

you do realize that copyright has to expire at some point? it's in the constitution.
personally, i'm a fan of the document.

You can use someone's work in a creative way. Like the Disney movies based on fairy tales. Or the hundreds of retellings of Shakespeare plays.

Because Disney doesn't deserve to own Mickey , you retarded bloodsucking shill.

A) you fucking moron, parodies are already protected free speech

B) Yes I am fucking entitled to use whatever some dead dumbass made 50 years ago. Choke on glass.

>Disney constantly uses public domain stories to earn mad dosh
>lol, nuthin rong bout dat

>people want mickey to enter public domain
>STOP TRYING TO USE SOMEONE ELSES WORK AND BE CREATIVE YOU FAT FUCK

Disney made its name adapting public domain stories into films. Now, it's preventing people from doing the same. When Disney lobbies to fuck with copyright laws, it affects all of us.

Manos: The Hands of Fate entered the public domain, and there's an adult coloring book, a novelization, and a video game. Now, imagine if something actually good was able to enter the public domain. You know all those abandonware games? Imagine if we could make movies or books from them.

Depends on the kind of libertarian.

Alan Moore used other people's work in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. That's the type of creativity that can come out of copyrights expiring.

Nobody fucking wants Mickey. The problem is they're ruining it for the rest of us for good properties cause not even Disney's lobbying is good enough to limit the extension to just their shit.

>Now, it's preventing people from doing the same.
I'm sure if you read the copyrights and trademarks Disney holds on their fairy tale characters, they only apply to story elements Disney specifically added. That's usually how this works. Nothing stops you from making your own Cinderella movie, just as long as you don't use the things Disney added in theirs.

>The problem is they're ruining it for the rest of us for good properties cause not even Disney's lobbying is good enough to limit the extension to just their shit.
hypothetically, I mean.

lmao triggered that people are going to take your nostalgia away faggot?

weve been recycling dead peoples creations for a thousands of years you stupid cunt

He said nothing good would come of public domain Mickey. Mickey specifically.

You misinterpreted what I said. I'm not saying they're preventing people from adapting fairy tales into movies. I'm saying that because of their lobbying, new shit isn't entering the public domain, so people can't take the stories they remember from their childhood and make new shit out of them. Why isn't Lord of the Rings in the public domain, or The Great Gatsby?

True, but copyright is not a libertarian ideal, it supports a government's ability to enforce specific ownership of an idea, and coerce or punish others who try to use it. Libertarians are generally against that. If the system was set up along libertarian lines, anyone or any corporation could use any idea, adapt any idea, sell products with any idea.

ok i don't know a lot about law, but i mean what's even the problem here

yeah you can't use mickey but you can be a bit create your own characters

also jyou can use stuff from public domain just like disney did it everyone can play the same game

>When Disney lobbies to fuck with copyright laws, it affects all of us.
Hit the nail on the head there. Why do people try to make an argument out of "Mickey's image will be misused if he goes into the public domain"? Disney hardly does anything with him anymore as it is, and the character going into public domain doesn't stop them from using him in future projects; having other people use the character without fearing a call from the company's lawyers isn't even gonna really harm the company's claim to their Mickey being the "real" one, given how iconic the character is to the company.

The real issue is that further pushing and meddling with copyright laws is going to inevitably set a precedent to icons and characters eventually becoming untouchable and unusable, possibly for even over multiple generations after their creators have died. What good does that do to anyone, from a creative point of view?

They have to be creative instead of nostalgic hacks.

So what your arguing is Disney should be prevented from ever using Mickey again along with everyone else.

After all, they have to be creative, not nostalgic, right??

>Why are people so butthurt about extended copyright laws, particularly in regards to Disney?

Because it's a God Damn Legal Precedent, that's why.

We live in the post-truth era, who gives a shit about legal precedent.

>he doesn't realize that the majority of Disney's movies and characters are based on public domain works
Without the PD Disney probably wouldn't even fucking exist.

Sane people, who don't think Russia is the pinnacle of society.