Why does everyone really like the crab?

Why does everyone really like the crab?

Also, Moana thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dQzAi-a9Bv8
youtube.com/watch?v=f4zV4pJ8MwM
youtube.com/watch?v=yc4efBM_9JM
stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/87070476/jemaine-clement-a-david-bowieesque-crab-in-moana
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Cause he's so SHINY!

Because he's shiny

I mean REALLY like the crab

Shinymind

I liked the scene because it was abnormal and really pretty to look at, and I like Jemaine Clement's voice.

I did not expect to see people on the internet sexually attracted to a cartoon CG crab but I don't know why it surprises me, actually. I wish I didn't know people felt that way.

David Bowie's death is still sad and the crab filled that Magic Dance hole in our hearts for a couple of minutes.

If Disney didn't want people attracted to a villainous crab, they shouldn't have made him intimately threatening and given him a glam voice

that's a fact

Ffffffffffaggot.

>intimately threatening
He's a crab who sings a song with shitty lyrics. He rhymes "tough" with "enough" twice in the same song, in consecutive stanzas, and rhymes glitter with glitter. Well done, Lin Manuel. Did you write that the day it was due?

I wonder if David Bowie would have voiced the crab if he hadn't died? Do you think they recorded and animated it that late into production? The crab was probably easier to animate than the other characters because he doesn't have hair.

you ain't gotta be gay to appreciate the shiny

>Do you think they recorded and animated it that late into production? The crab was probably easier to animate than the other characters because he doesn't have hair.

The song wasn't written until after David Bowie died, so yeah.

I CAN'T WATCH IT YET
fuuuuuuuuuck
no spoilers please

Did this part with Maui make anyone else uncomfortable? the pec dancing was a bit much

The crab doesn't do anything particularly important

No, I'm gay so I loved it
Fapped to it after I got home

>going into a thread about a movie that came out 2 weeks ago
>no spoilers!

are you high?

Very much this.
Also he's shiny.

MOTHER'UCKER
I'M SHINY

I wanna fuck him too.

I wonder if they wrote the part for Bowie.

Jemaine's delivery was funny and the song was decently catchy.

Do you think they added that scene because there was a lull in the pacing in the middle of the story? Has that actually been addressed already? Two characters just chatting against a blue background must have been boring for kids, so they amped it up to 11 with that fucking crab scene. Shit, I'm an adult and even I didn't know what the fuck was going on. I bet kids feel like that all the time.

>came out two weeks ago
Not where I live it didn't you asshat

Nope. Tamatoa being like Bowie was born out of Lin Manuel Miranda wanting to do a tribute after his death.

Tamatoa wasn't originally in the story, no. At first, the realm of the monsters was actually going to be more or less the underworld--Moana was supposed to be there at a moment in the story when she was in deep despair, and she would meet her ancestors and they were going to help her rise up--figuratively and literally--out of the depths. It was eventually decided that the story needed Maui and Moana to have a bonding moment, and the realm of the dead became the realm of monsters. The crappy screencap of the art book flip through has a storyboard of this original concept. This moment was eventually moved and changed a bit. It sounds like this concept was still in the story when Moana's ancestors played a bigger role, with her grandmother teaching them their names and such.

After it was changed into a monster realm, it seems (from what I've read) like the sequence was going to be much longer originally. Moana was going to have to disguise Maui because the monsters were all after him, and they were going to have to travel through this realm to find Tamatoa's hideaway and Maui's hook.

If we had to hold out on spoilers for every country to release movies, there would be films we couldn't talk about without spoiler tags for months.

forgot my image

I don't think it's unreasonable to spoiler tag the image or use a more generic one. Some people want to go in totally ignorant and avoid seeing the designs for characters like Tamatoa until they get to watch the movie.

Sounds like the original draft was better than what we got. The problem I had with Moana overall was how little I was invested in the characters' struggles. Maybe if she hit that literal rock bottom, she'd inspire more empathy from audiences.

Crab is cool though I guess.

LMM does that repetition of words a lot, it's just a lyrical style

If you're that up your own ass about spoilers, you need to take personal responsibility for your need to be spoiler-free and stay off Sup Forums.

>Some people want to go in totally ignorant and avoid seeing the designs for characters like Tamatoa until they get to watch the movie.

Good for them. I assume you're calling up their local TV stations and whining about them airing trailers for Moana too, and complaining to the managers at Target for Moana toys that show you what characters look like, too?

>use a more generic one.

use a more generic one than... a generic image of the character? Good lord honey.

That's kinda lazy. I like his flow style but repeating the literal same rhymes instead of slant rhymes or new rhymes is kinda bad. If you aren't bothered by that, that's cool. Personally I don't like it.

youtube.com/watch?v=dQzAi-a9Bv8

The coconut

I heard that Tamatoa had Genie's lamp on him. Has anyone seen it?

I thought the rhyme there was "beginners" with "dinners", and glitters was just sort of there because he liked the word.

The what?

he rhymes every other line. glitters, beginners, glitters, dinners

You're right. The "rhyme" has to be taken into context... the entire phrase in that song is a repetition (dumb dumb dumb, come come come) and glitters is what is connecting the rhyme of beginners to dinners

Fish are dumb dumb dumb
They chase anything that glitters
Beginners
Oh and there they come come come
To the brighetest thign that glitters
mmm, fish dinners

Is this Moana General #6? I can't keep track.

I don't like the crab. It's a gay crab. Gay crabs are weird.

And they mixed him up. He has the head of a spider/arrow crab, the mannerisms of a decorator crab, but the general shape of a carcinid crab, without the back paddles.

As a marine biologist, my brain breaks trying to perceive him.

Is he supposed to be a crab god?

"Where You Are" is reminding me of some other song and I can't put my finger on it. Any other animated musicals out there with songs specifically about 'we're safe where we live already, so you can't leave'?

He's a monster crab. He spits on your marine biology and makes it SHINY.

>As a marine biologist, my brain breaks trying to perceive him.
JFC kill yourself

But then we'd have one less marine biologist on Sup Forums!

Why are they even here?

Go stimulate a fish.

>I wonder if David Bowie would have voiced the crab if he hadn't died?

Pretty sure part of the reason they went with Clement was that he's a native New Zealander, which sorta went with their casting motif.

You seem needlessly upset.

He's every kind of crab at once, or an unknown giant species that happens to have features in common with multiple other species.

Whichever one suspends your disbelief better.

Honestly, he's a MONSTER CRAB.

Best song that wasn't a Polynesian remix of a Pocahontas track.

I'm pretty sure it was because of his David Bowie impression.

youtube.com/watch?v=f4zV4pJ8MwM

Could be the ancestor race of all crabs or something.

I think it's more likely they brought him on board, and then decided to use his impression.

The alternative is something like
>"Alright guys, I finished the perfect song for us to bring David Bowie in for!"
>"Lin, Bowie's been dead for months."
>"Huh. Well, then just find someone who can do the best impression of him then."

The dream skit is my favorite

Miranda went for Bowie crab after he found out Jermaine was hired.

The demo of the song by LMM sounds like Jemaine as Bowie. He even admits this.

>The film features several big numbers including Shiny, sung by Tamatoa/Clement, which draws on Clement's Bowie imression.

> "If you hear Lin's demo [of Shiny], which is on the soundtrack, you can tell that he's doing an impression of my impression of David Bowie."

>Miranda, a fellow Bowie fan who has says Shiny is his favourite song on the Moana soundtrack, said he wrote it specifically for Clement.

stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/87070476/jemaine-clement-a-david-bowieesque-crab-in-moana

There you go. Mystery solved. We cracked the caper.

Why does everyone like the crab?

He is confident and self aggrandizing without being pretentious; he is indeed a mighty and powerful creature capable of decimating foes.

His self-centered traits are presented through bombastic boasts and musical numbers. He represents a sense of vanity and pride we often which we could indulge in, but since he's explicitly a villainous character, we feel okay with being charmed and entertained by these displays rather than put off.

Yet also, his ease of being tricked and genuine desire for attention/praise for his singing earns him a sliver of sympathy to humanize him just slightly so we don't write him off as some general purpose monster.

No because I want to fuck the demigod and I like when big guys do goofy shit like this

//we often wish

What would his penis look like?

>Did this part with Dwayne Johnson doing his Dwayne Johnson schtick make anyone else uncomfortable? the pec dancing was a bit much
I suppose maybe they could've cast someone else in the role of Dwayne Johnson, but why?

came out two *days* ago over here

There are probably quite a few like that. "Mother Knows Best" is about the outside world being dangerous, though it sounds way different than "Where You Are". Maybe you're thinking of "Under the Sea"? It's more upbeat and focuses on how great it is "here" rather than how bad it is "out there".

He's a giant coconut crab with artistic license.

His Indian dub voice actor is, at least visually, great casting...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwu_-VY4c7Q

Whatever it is, I don't like it.

One of the reasons I don't like How Far I'll Go as much as I could.

Makes me think Hamilton is overrated.

Like this, I guess, but shinier

Do they...no I don't think they have them. Don't they just work like fish?

>Like this, I guess, but shinier
Ah, there you go. Guess they do have them. But...so wait do they fertilize internally?

...The Croods?

>Lin Manuel Miranda is the only successful musician to use this style, therefore Hamilton is overrated

hhhhhhhhhaaaaaah

Looks like another gay ass play it safe design for marketing

They could have make a really cool looking crab baddie but no we got this

??? They didn't say that.

The luminescent part was cool.

And I think you should know that your comment makes you sound like a middle schooler. Just letting you know.

pray tell, what is the epitome of animation then?

I'm googling crab sex because of this thread.

I've never really wondered how crabs have sex, but now I know how to tell the difference between males and females. I didn't expect to learn that today. Thanks, user.

Holy shit.

Where You Are - Virginia Company/Steady as the beating drum
How Far I'll Go - Just Around the Riverbend
Song of the Ancients -> Listen to Your Heart

You're Welcome - Friend Like Me
Shiny - Poor Unfortunate Souls

We Know the Way - ...Two Worlds?

He could definitely look a little cooler, the goofy human teeth are a real detriment.

At least they didn't do a King Candy twist for the fourth time in a row.

Have you listened to Hamilton or In the Heights? He doesn't really do that repetition of the same rhyme in Hamilton, unless it's specifically for characters that can't really rap

Nope. The female carries the eggs with her abdominal legs and then the male jizzes over them. It isn't that rare for females to carry eggs for a while unfertilized until she finds a suitable male. Same for shrimp, lobsters and other Decapod crustaceans.

To be fair, wouldn't it have been cool if Maui turned into a giant crab

Admittedly, yes.

Nope, not interested at all. Don't even really know who Alexander Hamilton is, nor do I really care that much. But if he doesn't do it there, I guess that's cool. It's jarring wherever it happens in Moana's songs. As in I really notice them out of the flow.

>King Candy twist

HEIHEI IS THE REAL VILLAIN

Seeing this, I really think the show would have benefited from axing the Kakamora and focusing on Moana and Maui in the Realm of Monsters getting the hook back more.

>haven't ever watched/listened to some material
>but it must be overrated

Oh, you're... one of those...

>"makes me think"
>"must be"

Oh, you're... one of those...

The fact that he's a cooky sort of villain, but also a legitimately threatening one.
And his shit talking of Maui was great.
>Now let me take apart, your aching heart!

This is wonderful thank you

>Great and catchy song
>Funny yet creepy personality
>Good voice
>Well animated

It's a massive waste that he's only there for only a few minutes. They could've done a lot more with him.

In a way it was just a reverse King Candy.
>THE VILLAIN WAS A GOOD GUY ALL ALONG

What the fuck does the crab have to do with David Bowie though

Holy crap, you're right.

It's not very well known, but when David Bowie died, he shed his human flesh and returned home to crab planet.

You're welcome. It was fun and easy and I was listening to that song at the time anyways.

user please I was drinking don't make me laugh like that.

Not very well known? Everyone knew Bowie was a crab person.