Powerpuff Girls 2016

What went so awfully wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1mZXmnkTYOM
youtube.com/watch?v=1lm86NZnR8s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It existed.

A genuine lack of understanding what people loved about the original show.

Are they using some weird CGI? Why does the animation look so weird? It's like...cheap plastic.

They hardly do any of the super hero shit they did from the original series. The new villains are shit and those from the old series are under used, or complete jokes of their real self.

This
They took a superhero cartoon and turned it into TTG without any of the quirkiness.

Even if they made it the most generic magical girl cartoon ever on television, it would still have some semblance of being PPG. These bodysnatchers have stolen the likeness, but none of what made them good or fun.

That is the result of the modern era of computer animation.

Now, when someone wants to animate something, they drop the model into a computer program that simulates a real person drawing it by hand. They bend and pull it like play-doh and the computer animation program promptly draws it like play-doh because it has no basis on what PPG should look for 'feel' like.

It's actually kind of sad when you consider that PPG looked cheap for its time. It was made with lots of characters consisting of very easy-to-draw shapes designed specifically because of the shoestring budget they had to operate on. It's just now, 'shoestring budget' means 'hires at least one person who can operate a computer'.

The OP's pic is ugly looking fan art

Either ways, nuPPG looks like ass.

People are starting to get tired of unnecessary sequels and/or reboots. It's just a blatant cash grab.

Lack of coherent intent.
Tried to appeal to both newcomers and older fans, but ended up annoying both.

they got rid of bellum

>Mostly new cast and crew
>Old show given to recent CalArts grads
>Trying to insert current day tween culture and references
>Terrible animation combined with too many animation and art errors for a modern day cartoon
>Getting rid of a Miss Bellum because they think she is a bad woman role or some SJW reason.
>lolsorandom faces and reactions

Just some of the reasons why it sucks.

The real deal isn't much better.

Honestly, the meta-show for nuPPG is probably even worse than the show itself.
Between things like removing Bellum and claiming Horn, Sweet Horn was about transgenders, it reeks of SJW-ravaging.

is surprise me that they episode was so bad that the SJW started to bash them too, they don't anyone to cater anymore, not even the kids are liking this thing

I want to ______ Powered Blossom.

Everything went wrong. Terrible writing, replacing voice actors for no reason, butchering the original art style, adding memes thatll be outdated in 7+ years, removing ms. Bellum, and worst of all the shitty animation most likely done by amateurs

Guess that's why it's getting a second season.

And to illustrate what that was:
>Understanding how to use limited designs compositionally. Even the what they were designed have thought process to it. They do stylistic 8 shapes when they cross their arms. Their floating pose with the one knee up is very iconic to them.
>Good colors used to make the overall limited animation show look like an illustration. Almost like a children's book, very "Mary Blair"-esque. Rarely were characters just thrown onto a background, the background was built around the characters to make them pop.
>The contrast between three little girls kicking ass in the most violent manner possible. It was funny and entertaining.
>The contrast between three hardcore crime-fighters with amazing powers still having little kid troubles. Being afraid of the dark, unable to fight without your blanky, missing your toy, icky germs, school bullying, being embarrassed at school, etc.
>Three characters with strong dynamics who could bounce off of each other in dialogue and gags. It was basically a game of rock, paper, scissors with them and they practically wrote themselves. Bubbles was too sweet for Buttercup who was too rebellious against leader Blossom who was too impatient for Bubbles constant silliness and sweet ideas. The characters were often so simple to understand you could easily gravitate to whichever was your favorite.
>Seeing these what could be understood as one-note characters being thrown into scenarios that added depth. Bubbles didn't JUST want to be cute. Blossom wants to be a loved leader, not a feared one. Buttercup being too embarrassed to reveal her soft side because what will people say? They EXPECT her to be hardcore at this point.
>Solid supporting characters. The evil cat, the boogeyman, the next door neighbor who wanted to be a villain. None of them could just be boiled down to "quirky". What the fuck did Donny the Unicorn add?

My post is hitting it's limit. These are just a few things.

There has to be some context to this.

>getting another season means its good

It means it's filler. The toys still sell, but none of the new toys are on the same level as the old toys.

By your logic, Johnny Test must be the best show on Cartoon Network.

I just looked up the episode, turns out it was intentional

Actually the second season was green lighted before the show even started, they really thought this was going to be a sucess, but why?

Because name recognition
Didn't they do the same with TTG?

We know this was made to be cash grab, but when we can know if they toys are selling, because if this thing sell toys then the crapshow could go on for 5 seasons

I don't think PPG toys ever stopped selling. They were selling just as good when the movie came out as when nuPPG was first announced.

Because a man is no longer in charge.

I met one of the head writers, she's nice but not someone I'd let handle my cartoons

>watching episode 35
>DID they just let the baby drop from a height after they turn it back to normal!?
>MY FACE

>I met one of the head writers

Tell us more.

>outdated in 7 years
memes get outdated in 7 months

A fair amount of things, namely this and a clear focus on profit and being "hip with the kids" than just being a good show

I'm so glad nobody tried to defend that.

Like I'm sure a couple people did but like 98% of people were like "what the actual fuck"

Where did the Professor go wrong as a parent?

Liberty Bell came back?

What happened in that episode? Did Harmony Bunny and Mange appear too?

Adult Swim has a yearly boat ride for NYCC, A few famous people hang out. The VA's for PPG were there and I talked to them for a bit she was kinda smashed but really nice if I wasn't so poor at the time I probably could have gone with them to an after party.

There's something up with that outfit, is that supposed to be fucking Major Glory?

Are they gonna throw Dexter's shit into this as well?

First, you gotta ask the question.

"Was there really a demand for this?"

They put no effort into making it good.

reaching this hard... It was just a show about little girls fighting monsters.

Where's our love, Dick?

No, it's Liberty Bell. She was in an episode of the original. All three girls had alter egos. Buttercup was an edgy Spawn clone named Spore or Scab or something. Bubbles was a cute bunny.

It's thoughts like that that give you Powerpuff Girls 2016.

To start he was trying to make little girls in secret in his basement.

With a monkey to help him I might add.

Liberalism.

The creators deleted Ms. Bellum but then took the effort to animate little girls twirking.

IE,. Successful mature business women bad, softcore pedophilia okay.

This series is a joke.

WHAT?

The two biggest cancers of the internet

Nostalgia and social justice

only men should be allowed to do animation

mere excuse to push more toys.

CN intern spotted

basically cartoon network didn't want a show so much as new commercials for new ppg merch

what really angered me about removing Miss Bellum was that she was the personification of the old statement "i could do my boss's job better then they could."

ay fuck you, it looks cute.
nobody gave any fuck about bellum until they got rid of her. Was there any explanation about why did they do it?
>Trying to insert current tween culture and references
THIS. Why are cartoons so obsessed with including millenial shit? It's fucking annoying and cringe worthy.
>hip with the kids
It didn't work for Hillary, when will they learn?
It's not just social justice, I'm surprised nobody in this thread mentioned the blatant attempt to force ideals of feminism in this show. The girls' likeable personality have gone to shit and being replaced by the new writer's feminist beliefs. Other points some people already mentioned but I'm too lazy to quote.
>Memorable old villains such as HIM were replaced by tumblr-tier villains like MANBOY and Bianca Bikini and her gorilla.
>Fights are barely part of the show anymore.
> Buttercup speaks like a nigger
> Blossom is useless
> Bubbles is a gamer gurl and knows to program because fuck you.
> The professor is beyond useless.
> Muh diversity.
> Muh dank memes.
Even CN commercials about the "we got the power" song based on the show displays little girls holding up signs with "strong" "smart" "brave" while the boys have "caring" "creative" "cuck", etc. I'm probably looking too much into it but I can't he the only one who noticed.

and this is why you will never be a careered story teller. you don't respect the form. having it explained to you has overwhelmed your senses and you probably didn't finish reading what was written because of your limited attention span. congratulations. they made PPG 2016 for you.

>Pepe

I only started watching the original show a few weeks ago, and even I couldn't even sit through a whole episode of this trash reboot

A show becomes stupid when you remove its Sarah Bellum.

>MANBOY

That's the short dude, right? I still think he'd be fine in the original with some tweaking.

>Getting read of Miss Bellum
What? Bullshit!

There agenda was to strong. Half the episodes were shameless framed around modern "issues" and they tried using the show as a teaching tool about them.
Not the smartest move since they didn't understand that half of those "issues" are loaded guns that make people unhappy no matter how you address it.
TTG at least ribs at life in general rather then trying to teach some broken lesson in the most boring way possible.

And Hamlet is just a story about a guy whose father is killed and looks for revenge.
You can make anything sound dull or simplistic if you talk like that.

I think every character added to nuPPG could have been made into a decent to great character, if Craig McCracken was behind everything to make sure it wasn't shit. Starting with the designs, for one.

Congrats, (You) get a reply solely for being a dipshit that never watched the show at all and still thinks it's a girl's show because it has girls in it.

Its less like play-doh and more like they make paper dolls which they move around, instead of drawing the gestures and movements. Looks cheap regardless.

It's not like the original looked any better either.

It did look better since it had competent directors and supervisors that actually did their jobs properly.

Don't even try the nostalgia argument, I literally just finished watching the first few episodes of season 1 for the first time.

Nah, it always looked like shit. And that's what's so sad about NuPuffs-- the bar was so offensively LOW, and they still couldn't even clear it.

Its much simpler than that. Original PPG used to be like golden era Simpsons, only the gags and jokes were better hidden behind a superhero theme. Why PPG was successful was pretty much the same reason why Dexter's Lab was successful. It was inventive, it was actually funny without using some stupid fucking internet memes, and the general themes of each episode circled around something that kids thought to be cool, like mechas, giant monsters, superheroes etc. And there was a generally better mixup of episodes, from outright joke episodes to new "villain of the week" episode, to occasional weird and even little bit scary episodes.

For a good example, an episode where its a rainy day and the girls have nothing to do, and its still a million times more interesting episode than anything the reboot shat out:

youtu.be/1mZXmnkTYOM
The new show turned into a social commentary with internet memes and boring shit nobody likes.

>It's another "not muh animu style" episode
I hope you die of cancer, cancer.

Pretty much this. Like a lot of nostalgic cash-grabs, PPG'16 assumed it could ride on the name alone. That reliance on "brand value", however, came at the expense of making a show that stayed true to the original's spirit.

Take the Miss Bellum situation. In the original show, she was one of the few non-PPG female characters, a positive influence on the PPG themselves, and a well-written character in her own right. She was a character who was essential to the show, whose absence would've made the show that much worse. But apparently her being drawn with an hourglass figure is all the new PPG team saw in her, because they straight-up WROTE HER OUT OF THE SHOW as soon as they could.

That alone was enough to make me watch PPG - the original series, that is.

You got me bro

10/10, TOP KEK

I enjoy over-analyzing why shit is good or bad in cartoons and I wish we could have more threads about it but I know starting a thread like that in Sup Forums would just die with one or two posts.

It just fascinates me being able to understand why something like Beavis and Butthead is great while all people comment on for Johnny Test is "shit animation".

He dosen't know

Johnny Test was shit because it was generic bullshit shovelled onto an unwitting populace and rerun at TTG levels for months and months despite no one liking it. It had shoddy animation, shitty storylines, terrible voice acting, and everything else you'd find in an otherwise forgettable show. If it had come and gone like CN Real, nobody would have even cared about it.

>It's just now, 'shoestring budget' means 'hires at least one person who can operate a computer'.
PPG 2016 is animated in South Korea by Sunmin Image Pictures, and the credits suggest there is much more staff than what should be necessary (and who knows how many people were employed in Korea).

creativity is dead

No, it's not. It's just taken a backseat to business concerns. TV and movie studios don't want to take huge risks any more - especially not with billions of dollars at stake in a given fiscal year - so they fall back on nostalgia and "formula" output to make their money. That approach works well for some companies (hi, Marvel Studios!), but it isn't a guarantee of success (hi, studio that greenlit and released the RoboCop remake!).

Incidentally, this is why mid-range movies are slowly disappearing from the Hollywood landscape - studios either want big returns on small investments (e.g., Deadpool) or bigger returns on big investments (e.g., Civil War).

Business is always a concern due to the cost of producing movies and television shows.

One of the reasons why you see so many weird, varied and niche things being made in Japan is because they are so effective at business. In the West that's always demonized because this is art and we can't have commerce polluting it.

It's not so much the idea of "commerce polluting art" that people object to, so much as it is the idea of "commerce controlling what kind of art gets made and by whom it gets made". Think of the PPG reboot: Most people probably wouldn't have complained about the show before it had even aired if the show's creator had been involved. But CN decided "fuck you, we can do this on our own" was the right thing to do because it wanted nostalgiabux, and now it has a critical (and possibly financial) bomb on its hands for at least one more season.

Commerce is behind the wheel in Japan too. They are just much better at driving.

kids need a mother and a father

Bets on Who's the father?

It felt more like a self parody of the original cartoon than a reboot.

Buttercup

>tumblr-tier villains
I am fairly sure even Tumblr is angry about them (and the show in general) at this point.

PPG did feature cuteness and comedy, but it was still a superhero action show and the girls would become bad ass warriors when needed. The new ones lack any superhero edge.

Probably him.

Cartoon Network only rebooted PPG because they need something to fall back on if Warner Bros decides to stop making TTG.

But they don't have any understanding of why people like TTG.

Just imagine how mad will the LGBT community get if HIM made more appearances!

So they're no using Him because they think he's problematic? He appears in the Tiara episode but for like 1min, i thought the lgbt comunity at least the adult one love Him, my gay friends love Him

I thought CN rebooted PPG because they were the only network that didn't have at least one cartoon on their station with a girl as their main protagonist? At the time Nickelodeon had Ladybug + all their live action shit. Disney at least had Star VS. CN didn't even meet the demographic requirement of "at least one".

Remember Gamer Gator!?

Yeah they backed off on that one.

Was it even real or just a hoax?

Apparently the drag community loves him (Him).

youtube.com/watch?v=1lm86NZnR8s

We'll probably never know

Probably real but they backpeddle like crazy after the unicorn episode.

What's not love about Him, he's a villian in drag, but he's not a joke villian is the most competent one and every other villian give him the respect he deserves, the LGBT comunity should love him

They Need to hire more black men and pay them more than inferior whites.