Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

So what did this show do better than all and/or most the other adaptations so far?

>Second greatest live action Superman
>Best Perry

and I'm not sure if this is considered a controversial opinion or not but..

>hands down best Clark Kent

yes, even more than Reeve.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wCsZfKxfl7s
youtube.com/watch?v=A9mJADDqfuo
youtube.com/watch?v=Yk3XVA6CqEQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>>hands down best Clark Kent

No.

Rest of your post is correct.

Don't forget best Lois, and arguably best Kents.

Jimmy was shit though and so were the villains. Bibbo was also unrecognizable.

>hands down best Clark Kent
name a better one
>Second greatest live action Superman
Why not the first?
>So what did this show do better than all and/or most the other adaptations so far?
atmosphere. it had that superman universe flavor that most have failed to capture by not trying or going too far

Reeve was so much better than any other Superman actor on ALL fronts that no one is even comparable.

Best Cat Grant
Best Clark
Best Lois
Best Perry

They nailed all of the Daily Planet except for Jimmy who was recast for some reason

>Jimmy
was ok
>villains
it was kind of funny when they hard to fight luthors exs or a nazi sleeper cell. it also had a nice new krypton storyline. Who do you wish they had added?

All I remeber about this show is I jerked off to the scene where Lois gets hypnotized like five times.

youtube.com/watch?v=wCsZfKxfl7s

effort needed for movie is not the same and maybe its about preference but Reeve always came off as human while dean cain was good at doing larger than life superman

it was a daaamn good show.
best clark for sure, just ahead of Daly, and THEN Reeve.
and yes second greatest live action superman just behind reeve, even though that isn't saying much since george reeves was only alright and everyone else has sucked
best perry isnt really hard either.
he was a great character, just not a great jimmy. he would have made a good Superboy though.

>he would have made a good Superboy though.
hell no

Cain was the first to play Clark as "the real guy" since Reeves I guess, since the Post-Crisis characterization was based on Reeves where there wasn't such a divide.

The problem with Reeve was his Clark was literally the result of 12 years of brain programming, not the guy who grew up in Smallville. That was even a different actor.

>you like to be on top
Unf

There were nice thing that Dean Cain did with this version of Clark Kent, so he was a good characterization of Clark Kent. But I'd still go the Donnerverse version, so not only the original but even Routh did an excellent Clark.

I much prefer Cain's version of Clark Kent over the DCAU in either S-TAS and JL/JLU (where he's essentially non-existent, for all intents and purposes). It's also preferable to the STAS tv serial and the Fleischer Animation version.

While Smallville was its own thing, that really isn't anything out of canon other than random ideas, I'd pick Dean over Tom as well, but you're also comparing an adult to a teenager.

We only have Calista Grant to compare it to. She's not even in the Donnerverse and you can't really compare it to the Cat in Smallville.

Perry, likewise, I'm partial to Frank Langella or even Jackie Cooper. He did a really interesting take, but I wouldn't say Best Perry.

Hatcher was a great Lois in S1 and S2, it seemed like she regressed a lot in S3-4 to being the damsel in distress and less kick-ass, as well as less of a reporter.

>Asian man
>Best Clark
Pick 1

Lois and Clark did a lot to solidify the post-CoIE changes to the Superman mythos in the public consciousness. Clark was the real identity, the Kents were alive, Lois was a fiery go-getter reporter, Catherine Grant was all over Clark's nuts, and Lex was a conniving businessman.

As far as why it was so good, it's probably because the superhero action was mostly secondary to the character interplay. It was essentially a rom-com disguised as a superhero show.

Is this show worth watching? Big Superman fan, but I've never seen it.

I've been re-watching since they have been running reviews of it on the Superman Homepage and my local library had the first two seasons. It holds up well as long as you realize the special effects are of their time. Also, other than Luthor, the villains are often created for the show. Or not particularly relevant to canon (e.g. Toyman) but can be amusing at time (e.g. Toyman).

You can go to the Superman Homepage and check out their reviews and decided which episodes to watch, but I did a straight re-watch. You can also find some websites with live streams of all seasons, that's what I had to do for S3. I'm still at the start of S4.

Rather liked this Lois as Ultrawoman. Shame it was a one-off

It's amazing how I used to think he was so jacked as superman but he looks like just a regular guy

Say what you want but this show had the single most based scene in all of Superman history

youtube.com/watch?v=A9mJADDqfuo

That was exactly the point of it. Superman IS just a regular guy, a regular guy with superpowers.

Dean Cain holds an NCAA football record for interceptions

I think part of it is our upper limits have risen considerably in terms of what "jacked" is.

The Rock is a good example. The dude was clearly a weightlifter and in great shape during his professional wrestling career (pictured on the right). He's a big dude.

Then he got fucking ENORMOUS (pictured on the left). And now fucking dwarfs his old self, even though he was already built.

It's nuts how ridiculously ripped people can get.

Right looks healthier. Same thing happened to Hugh Jackman, he didn't become Huge Jackedman until after X3

To this day, John Shea is my favorite Lex.

This is really how Cat got her start. In Supergirl she was always talking about how she impressed Perry before setting out on her own when in fact she sucked the dicks of every man in the office to get promoted so fast.

This could totally fit in legends of tomorrow

top kek

I loved every episode of smallville like the worst fanboy

But I don't necessarily think welling was always the best clark. Some eps he was the optimist who saw the good in everyone, in others he was accusing his best friends of heinous acts over literally nothing

>Clark walks into a room
>"Lex!/Chloe!/Oliver!"
>"How could you do this awful thing that I'm assuming you did because the third letter of every word the villain spoke spelled out your name?!"

>"well hello to you too, Clark. Also I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about"

-Smallville, season 1-8

Welling was always better as Red-K Clark or Ultraman.

His mood swinging like you said could get tiring. But made for the fun Silver K episode.

>Smallville

My favorite part of Clark in Smallville was him berating his super loyal friends every three episodes for lying or keeping secrets from him when every fucking word he ever said to them was complete bullshit. Or how he made Chloe cry for prying a little into his business, meanwhile he's broekn into every god damned building in town and gone through everyone's mail.

Smallville Clark was the biggest fucking hypocrite is was hilarious.

>Red-K Clark or Ultraman.

YES

Tom played an excellent evil Clark. I hope if he ever gets dragged into the arrowverse it's to play Ultraman or Superboy-Prime or something

>As far as why it was so good, it's probably because the superhero action was mostly secondary to the character interplay. It was essentially a rom-com disguised as a superhero show.

This, basically. The writers had their priorities set from the get-go. They didn't use melodrama to fill in the gaps left by the budget like the CW writers tend to do.

And surprisingly, as tacky and simplistic as some of the action scenes were, they were well-done for the time. Superman's shuttle rescue in the pilot is still one of the more memorable moments in superhero television, at least to me.

Which isn't to say it was perfect. The clone arc to pad out the time until the wedding was awful. Yet, it still managed to tap into the ridiculousness of the Silver Age in a way the modern shows don't with their constant barrage of love triangles, secrets and mysteries.

>Yet, it still managed to tap into the ridiculousness of the Silver Age in a way the modern shows don't with their constant barrage of love triangles, secrets and mysteries.

While I know this might get flack, I like to think this sentiment extended somewhat into the Smallville-era.

It wasn;t until halfway through the show that it started to go the other way, and then finally went into the hallmark CW that would dominate Arrow/Flash.

you guys are making me want to watch Smalllville. I never did get around to it, always more interested in the Bat stuff. But 10 fucking seasons. TEN.

There is literally over a week of that shit to watch, and that's if you didn't sleep or fucking move from the screen. Realistically there is a month of pretty intense tv watching there.

Is it worth it?

Not really.

I say it's better, unless you really like a storyline, to see what an episode is going to be about before watching it. If it doesn't sound interesting, then skip.

That said, generally, the first 3 seasons are considered good in a typical "Superboy" way, and the 9th is the other well received one.

It had best Luthor.

I loved this show and had such a crush on young Teri Hatcher.

Dean Cain was underrated as Clark. I prefer him to Reeve actually, and their Perry and 1st season Jimmy were also great.

I will say though that Rosenbaum and especially Erica Durance were probably the best Lex and Lois we've gotten in video form so far.

Erica Durance carried the middle portion of Smallville hard at times

no he wasnt, there was superboy before.

youtube.com/watch?v=Yk3XVA6CqEQ

There are episodes that are re-watchable. The Kryptonite freak of the week are the worse as are the weirdness they indulged in (Lana, Lois and Chloe get magically taken over by medieval witches). There are a number of sites with recommendations, you can tackle a few of those and then decide. It's on Amazon Prime for free or if you are in the USA, you might see if your local library has the DVDs.

Great Lois that everyone overlooks bc Smallville