How are these Marvel Epic Collections?

How are these Marvel Epic Collections?

I've been looking to the get the original Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four and Hulk collections.

Are they worth the price and are they reprinted with the right colours etc.? Also are there some others you would recommend picking up?

Thanks.

Aside from the release order being random (as in, not released in any kind of chronological order), I really like Epic Collections.
I haven't had any problems with mine, and have been fairly satisfied with content and presentation.

Also, if you like Spider-Man, next year is when they release a few new Epic Collections that are well-regarded Spider-Man stories.

As far as worthwhile pickups go, I think the Moon Knight collections are or are close to being OOP, so if you see them and want them, get them soon. Despite what most people will say, I'd also recommend the Daredevil Widow's Kiss Epic Collection, simply because it has a lot of Gene Colan art.
Silver Surfer Freedom Epic Collection is also pretty good, and contains the 1982 Silver Surfer one-shot.

Thanks for the heads up, appreciate it.

I bet if you added some "fuck dc" to that post OP we'd have like 100 replies here. Sup Forums is so fucking sad sometimes.

Marvel's trade department is pretty close to flawless, especially where the technical aspects are concerned.

The only quibble is the possibility that the line will be shuttered before the gaps are filled.

God, how hard is it for them to keep a template for consistent graphic placing? That fucking line in the middle is activating my aspie gene.

It's due to the manufacturing process, where the printed books are machine trimmed. It can't be helped.

How much do they cost and how many issues do they usually have?

They're nice. I'm not sure if the coloring is identical to the originals as far as coloring errors and the like go, but they seem to be fairly close at any rate. The reprint quality is very high and you get a crapload of pages for your buck. They're doing at least one volume per series which covers the first issues of that series, so you have some great Spider-Man, FF, Avengers and such collection to pick up. Also I love the ones like Moon Knight which collectes a ton of random issues from all over the place rather than just "Moon Knight 1-10"

Yeah, no. They use the worst paper. And the release schedule for Epic is pretty shit on top of the fact that some collections are pretty random and don't collect full runs. The Moench/Sienkwicz Moon Knight is not fully collected and seems abandoned.

The Thor one is nice enough, but the pages are way too bright to the point that the eyes actually try to avoid the page if you read it in non-optimal light.
My kingdom for more Kirby Omnibus-like printings

I love pretty much everything about these. The reprints look great and they're on actual paper like they're meant to instead of the glossy shit the early Masterworks used. Plus going non chronologically allows them to reprint stuff that hasn't already been reprinted a billion times while the correct volume numbering satisfies autism. If there is a drawback the price is a little high for 20 issues.

If you don't pick up Don McGregor's Black Panther run you're doing yourself a massive disservice. Some of the best comics Marvel ever produced finally collected in color in one book.

20-35 on Amazon. About 12 issues it looks like.

>The Moench/Sienkwicz Moon Knight is not fully collected and seems abandoned.

Why do you say this?

Or 20 issues apparently.

The third one should have come out by now but it isn't even solicited for a future release.

The entire point is that they're not printed chronologically.

Firstly Moon Knight has already had two collections while a lot of other character haven't had one (strong argument he could be a future Netflix star btw). Second, there's nothing to say the third volume released won't be Volume 10 and collection the Dixon or Ellis run or something.

The issues are collected chronologically though. And the last dozen or so issues of the original Moench/Sienkiewicz Moon Knight series remain uncollected.

Do you not understand this at all? The whole Kirby F4 run isn't collected either, they jump around chronologically with their volumes. That doesn't mean it's not going to be collected, it just means that it's not gonna be collected until later. That is literally the entire point of this line.

>That is literally the entire point of this line.
To be a complete mess? Yeah, I got that.

Epic was meant to collect stories that went largely uncollected, Kirby FF was fully collected before this retarded line was created.
With Moon Knight they chronologically collected Moench's work with the character in various issues here and there until he got his own ongoing, they collected a bit of that and stopped. They put out the first volume in October 2014, the second in November 2015 and now we already know Marvel's schedule for collections all up to the summer and there's no sign of a third volume.

They only put out a handful of collections a year and Moon Knight already got two.

You're just triggered because they're not putting out the exact book you want them to exactly when you want them to. The line is fine, you're just obnoxious.

So you think it's normal to wait two entire years before putting out another volume that completes an iconic run the company has neglected over the years? Literally fuck your own face, intern.

That's pretty similar to what big collections done by Panini cost here in Spain.

Yes it is normal when two thirds have already been collected and there are literally hundreds of other iconic neglected runs still waiting to be collected like McGregor's Panther, Excalibur, Emperor Doom, Gruenwald's Cap, etc. etc.

I'm not an intern just because you're an impatient crybaby fuckwit

You're so fucking sad not only to encourage company wars for the sake of discussion, but for equating quantity of posts with quality of discussion, especially since you'd just post some bullshit to trigger a bitchfit rather than actually encouraging discussion of the topic at hand. You're like some kind of second-hand cancer that comments on regular cancer but thinks you're above it, you cancerous piece of malignant trash.

The marvel essentials were always better. Cheaper and printed in order. Sure it was in black and white on newspaper, but still.

Chill, Autismo, I simply made a joke. A joke making a similar point you just made in your venting session there.

I don't know their reasoning in which collections to print at which times, but by not reprinting chronologically they're able to restore/remaster some runs that probably wouldn't be covered if they're printing in chronological order.

Sometimes that means we get an oft-reprinted run with like one or two extra things that were left out of other reprints (like Waid's Captain America). But it's good for filling gaps or reading stuff you may not have seen before, less so if you're interested in collecting complete runs.

>crybaby

But you are the crybaby.

There pretty good. It gives a good impression of what an era of a certain character was like. For example, xmen the gift collects a year of the main book, plus the Asgardian Wars, and the Nightcrawler mini

It may be random, but they are releasing things that haven't been reprinted before, so that's a plus.

Yeah, and it was a good collection because it led directly into the x-men books"Ghosts " and Mutant Massacre.

I got Amazing Spider-man Vol 1 and X-Men Vol 1 recently, they're pretty good quality, I'm definitely getting the rest if I can. Looking forward to getting more X-men and Spider-man.

I kinda wish they'd hold off on sticking other series in there. Like volume 1 of Iron Fist contains all 15 issues of Iron Fist. X-Men Vol. 5 comes out next year and it contains the start of Claremont's X-Men run PLUS issues 14 and 15 of Iron Fist because it has the X-Men in, I was going to buy the Iron Fist collection anyway, it feels like a waste of paper, and we could have had 2 more issues of X-men!

The worst is probably the Hulk collection, look at the Vol 1 contents...

>Incredible Hulk #1-6
>Fantastic Four #12, 25-26 (Also in Fantastic Four Volumes 1 and 2)
>Avengers #1-3, 5 (Avengers Volume 1)
>Amazing Spider-Man #14 (Spider-man Volume 1)
>Tales to Astonish #59 (Ant-Man Volume 1)
>Journey Into Mystery #112 (Thor Volume 2)

Hulk volume 1 should have been 16+ issues of Hulk!

Also I calculated what X-Men volumes 3 and 4 will contain, and if it's true, volume 4 of X-Men will be the reprint years! Otherwise they'll have to split up 21 issues with whatever crossovers happened into 2 volumes and ignore X-men #67-93.

>Also I calculated what X-Men volumes 3 and 4 will contain, and if it's true, volume 4 of X-Men will be the reprint years!

During the reprint years, the X-Men appeared regularly as guest characters in other books. Likewise, the characters that would go on to become X-Men later or appear frequently in their family of titles, like Wolverine and Multiple Man, made their appearances in other titles during those years. Or the X-Men villains got around and had important things in their arcs happen to them as guest characters (like Magneto getting turned into a baby).

I know it's a lot of overlap, but if you were someone only interested in collecting the X-Men epic collections and not every series, you'd be grateful that the X-Men-related guest appearances were being included rather than force you to buy 10 other trades fro 1 or 2 issues of content.

>tell someone to fuck their own face
>they dismantle your argument, end with calling you a crybaby
>"But you are the crybaby."

Looks like someone is out of arguments

I didn't think about that, I suppose I'd actually like Incredible Hulk #180 and #181 to be in some kind of X-men or Wolverine book. Also whatever issue of Defenders has Magneto turn into a baby, maybe they'll be in X-Men Volume 4. Also that time Hank blue himself.

Don't hold back man, tell us how you really feel