Why has this kind of zombie disappeared from film? Modern zombies are too fast and human-like. That's not scary IMO

Why has this kind of zombie disappeared from film? Modern zombies are too fast and human-like. That's not scary IMO

Slow-moving zombies died with Romero, sweetie

slow zombies force you to use your characters as something more than tabletop pieces

Zack Snyder ruining stuff again

That scene in Zombie where the woman gets her eye stabbed with the broken piece of the door is fucked

Also i think the whole rotting-skeleton thing works a lot better than just taking a normal person and smearing blood over them. Is the decaying look that hard to achieve nowadays?

Tbqh, I like both.

I like Zombi2 a lot, and I also like DotD (2004).

And Day of the Dead (2008) with its jumping and leaping zombies is a guilty pleasure that is much underrated by normies, imho.

I can understand the usage of fast zombies -- and they can be scary -- but the idea of this horde of impending death slowly coming towards you is scarier.

Yeah, slow rotten zombies are way scarier than shit like fast "zombies" from World War Z. Which was basically a raping of the book; well it is only similar to the book in name for the most part, not much else. The audio book for that is great fyi.

This.

Good effects are not cheap. That's why you have so many sci-fi movies/tv shows that are nothing more than body swaps, skin color changed aliens, and the like. The only time something like that really truly works is when there's good writing and acting. Which is rare. Pontypool did pretty good with almost no zombie effects to speak.

Plus, some of the slow ones get a little faster when they have you in their sights.

Check out The Dead from 2010. It's a nice throwback to the old style of zombie.
What irritates me about The Walking Dead and other modern slow zombies is they're always snarling and jerking around when they attack. The zombies in Zombie2 are completely silent and move like sleepwalkers, it's a lot more plausible that one could sneak up on you while you're busy and that's much creepier.

>Good effects are not cheap
it's kind of ironic that the nastiest looking zombies on film were the result of the makeup artist just throwing dirt and clay over homeless people.

Slow zombies suck ass

I'm talking about stuff where a jaw is missing, stuff like that, as well as zombie hordes that use CG now. Getting the talent to do that is what is so expensive. Because when it doesn't look right, it is shit.

Yeah, there are easy ways to make them silent and still have them make noise that is scary. Stuff like having them silent when roaming around, make noise when they see you but can't get to you. Plus, the ones that call for other zombies. A fresh zombie horde may make the huge zombie crowd noise, but older zombies wouldn't. Sound is a tool, it just needs to be used correctly.

I do enjoy rottenass unrealistic zombies but slow ones are fucking retarded
Like on Dawn of the Dead characters simply outrun most zombos or can just knock them away with ease

What i like about zombi 2 is the voodoo and undead rising theme. I think the viral outbreak or radiation plots have made zombie stories much less mysterious and dark

There was nothing but zombie shit a few years back. Let the subgenre rest for a few years. It's tired.

Yeah I know what you mean. Having them make weird sounds can be really eerie. I was mainly referring to that generic NRAAHHHH they do in TWD every single time one shows up on screen.

source?

I made it to about the 3rd episode of that and I refuse to watch anymore. Now I just laugh at the complaint threads about how terrible it is.

Isn't zombie lore on movies basically
voodoo > chemical spills > virus

I mean lots of old movies have voodoo powered undead

oh it is absolute trash, even by tv standards. jesus fucking christ.

I know right? I think this overexposure of zombies has a lot to do with them becoming less rotten and scary. Fast and human-like zombies appear to be easier to market towards a normie demographic; so much so that the genre is really tired now

Totally agree, magic zombies are way fucking cooler than infected zombies. The Romero and "infected" shit is played out. Give us some witches summoning the power of a demon to raise the dead.

Yeah, originally they were all voodoo-powered. The comedies were mostly chemical spills. All the newer movies are virus-based.

Romero's were better since they could infect, but they themselves were risen from by unknown forces.

The weird thing is, modern zombies are fast and act more like normal people gone crazy. Old ones are slow and moan a lot. What does that leave us with for Halloween? Little kids running around fast acting crazy and saying they are zombies. No, people still go slow and moans. Because everyone knows what a zombie really is.

>dat webm

Holy moly dats some spooky shit.

Jump scares are all the rage... or So Hollywood seems to think.

slow and rotted but smart enough to use weapons and wait in ambush are the true best zombies

Fast zombies aren't scary when done wrong, like World War Z and other stupid CGI bs

When done right they're pretty terrifying. Plus irl if slow zombies were a thing, they'ed by stamped out immediately. Fast zombie epidemic might actually give humanity a run for its money.

>28 Days/Weeks Later
>Train to Busan (admittedly not the greatest movie but spastic moshpit zombies were pretty fun)
>Return of the Living Dead (without the comedic overtones the zombies themselves were pretty horrifying)

Ikr, that black oily zombie was awesome

my nigga

dawn if the dead had pretty good fast zombies

it is when you realize there's skeleton inside you.

of and the remake I mean of course

Still gives me the chills

Speaking of that, another thing that makes zombie scarier imo is when the sounds they make are deep and low-pitched growls, instead of high-pitched screeches and the like

I feel like zombies will never be scary again

To be honest you can only do slow zombies so many times. The fast-moving ones are relatively knew only starting in the early 2000s. So I wouldn't say that's why current zombie movies are shit but I do agree that they are currently garbage.

new* fuck me its late

ADHD because music videos/commercials have conditioned people to want things fast paced. So mood and atmosphere is almost totally gone from Horror films these days!!!FACT!!!

>there's a skeleton inside you RIGHT NOW

aproudskeletonfinallyescapeshisfleshy prison.webm