January's BATMAN Changed To Become Two-Part CATWOMAN Arc

>DC is changing up the solicited plans for January's Batman #14 and #15, making the two issues a two-part story where Batman will decide "what to do" with Catwoman after recent events.

>"In these issues, how do you solve a problem like Selina Kyle? Is she a hero? Is she a villain?," reads the publisher's new description for these issues. "Can Batman and Catwoman ever really work things out? The award-winning team of Tom King and Mitch of Babylon (Sheriff of Babylon) bring you 'Rooftops,' a story in which Batman must decide once and for all what to do about Catwoman."

>Announced as part of its weekly retailers-only newsletter, this two-part "Rooftops" arc by series writer Tom King and guest artist Mitch Gerads begins in January 4's Batman #14. The issue was originally solicited as the end of the current "I Am Suicide" arc, illustrated by Stephanie Hans. Hans's cover to #14 remains, and the artist will now also do the cover to #15.

>"Having an absolute blast on these issues. Tom has really outdone himself with the storytelling," Gerads told Newsarama. "Who knew Romance comics were my thing?"

>For those seeming to recall King and Gerads already being announced as reuniting for an upcoming Batman story, you're not wrong. The Sheriff of Babylon duo were solicited for Batman #15 with a one-off story titled "Street And Swamps," but that seems no longer the case given DC's notice to retailers.

Wew.

>how do you solve a problem like Selina Kyle?
With hot dickings. Batman needs to throw that batdick in her every night instead on playing with his toys.

It all comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down.

10 bucks says that this retcon the murder things

>a story in which Batman must decide once and for all what to do about Catwoman."

...and he hasn't decided what to do about the Joker?

How quickly Sup Forums turns on a writer because of waifufaggotry

>because of waifufaggotry
Are you new here? Sup Forums trun on King since the awful first arc and lost hope after the Bendis page.

People where split on the first arc. And the overreaction to the "Bendis page" was just that, an overreation. Plenty of people in the storytime where butt hurt over Selena going full supervillain though.

Because it seems out of character for Catwoman to suddenly have a 100+ kill count. Though, I think Black Cat's turn is worse.

They justified the kill count fairly well. What they haven't justified yet is her lastinute betray of Bruce.

But who knows, maybe it's all apart of bat-kaikaku somehow

She was a fucking mob boss literally before this. She iced rival gangs probably.

She killed terrorists.

>She iced rival gangs probably.
On panel?

>yfw the real reason Batman wants Pycho Pirate isn't to fix OC Gotham Girl but to fix waifu Catwoman
>yfw one issue of BatCat shit gets stretched into two issues of BatCat shit

It's all good if Catwoman tells Batman to fuck off after everything and stays evil. What a fucking chump.

Bendis page?

>When DC finally ruins your waifu after years of her being pretty alright if in a bad book or two

Oh yeah you guys she totally works as a cold killer look at what marvel did with black cat, everybody loves that

She ordered her own cousin to kill her own brother.

And they needed only one page.

The mob boss bit felt out of character as shit too, though. Valentine worked well with it as it was handed off to her, but becoming an anti-hero mob boss working for the good of gotham at no benefit to herself doesn't feel like something Selina would do at all.

Not only that, but there's a pretty wide difference between "ordering some criminals to do some shit" and "personally killing TWO HUNDRED people." Let me remind you that Selina felt years of regret after killing Black Mask, who's basically Hitler in Criminal form.

In Futures End or main universe?

Main universe.

It was a part of Valentine's run, where she for some reason decided to become a mob boss after she learned she was the heiress to a massive criminal empire- and not even the one she was hinted at being part of for years, which is incredibly silly in itself.

I can't remember the exact circumstances. but her cousin's brother had to die for some reason. He witnessed something, or some other gang wanted blood, can't remember.

>Why doesn't Batman rape the Joker?

>Because he's too busy fucking Selina

Selina comes first. He fucks her, most likely loves her and she's a villain.

Yep.

That's gone over like a hot turd

BatCat is the OTP of the OTPs.

Remember when Tom Brevoort said about comics, though.

"Our fans always buy more when they're angry than when they're happy" paraphrased

Granted, DC has found success recently in making their fans happy- but who knows how long that'll last?

Thanks. Only Catwoman I read was Futures End and she killed there... brother? Bombed his car, I think.

He ratted Selina out to Black Mask

Also, The Joker will be otherwise occupied with Harley for three issues.

It's OK, there are two more running around.

I wonder which one is trying to get back with Harley.

Yawn

>Cat
>Bat
literally barfing

>kills 237 radical Islamic terrorists
>supervillain
Maybe to Sup Forumsmblr.

>Kahndaq
>islami

Were they even islamic? I'm pretty sure they were domestic.

Regardless, Catwoman going on a blood-vendetta and murdering 237 people doesn't feel like something the character would do. Even edgy catwoman/silver age villainess catwoman wasn't that murderous aside from dangling batman over a pit of lions and cackling.

That mindset is why cape comics will never evolve.

>It was a part of Valentine's run, where she for some reason decided to become a mob boss after she learned she was the heiress to a massive criminal empire- and not even the one she was hinted at being part of for years, which is incredibly silly in itself.
Not quite accurate, in the zero issue of Catwoman it was revealed that Selina Kyle was a fake name. Her real name was actually Russian, so they messed up on that part, since they changed their minds and made her part of an Italian crime family instead.

They didn't specify their beliefs, just that they were a terrorist group from Kahndaq.

You know they they can't actually say Islamic to avoid controversy, like when they had the Suicide Squad go up against the not-ISIS offshoot of the League of Assassins, but we totally knew what they were referring to.

you can have character evolution without suddenly retconning massive parts of the backstory or having a formerly principled character perform mass murder off-panel.

If you did that in a movie series the audience would understandably be like "what the fuck?"

>"Our fans always buy more when they're angry than when they're happy" paraphrased

I have never read a Batman comic, and honestly have zero interest in starting.

That being said, how is King doing, relatively speaking? The addition of Gerads next year is a nice tease on DC's part, but still not a full sell for me.

A disappointment to everyone expecting Grayson/Omega Men/Vision-level quality.

This isn't a movie, numbnuts. What's more, most cape characters are vastly different from when they were first created and they achieved new heights in popularity when a writer was allowed complete creative freedom.

Catwioman's a slut. Batman should only be with Lady Justice.

Has Batman changed much from his renaissance, though? He's still a a cold and distant vigilante after a fairly long time now, because it's what works.

Catwoman's renaissance was when they made her a conflicted cat burglar who represented absolute freedom rather than a villain who wanted to feed him to her pet tabby. This was fairly widely regraded to be her best moment.

>Has Batman changed much from his renaissance, though? He's still a a cold and distant vigilante after a fairly long time now, because it's what works.

He changed from golden to silver to dark to modern age.

The core remains largely the same though, whereas this is a fairly huge change.

I feel as if this is being done for synergy purpose. Ben Affleck the other day said that Catwoman won't be in his movie. So they're probably trying to keep the road clear for whatever shit the producers might be thinking of pushing in the future movies.

Batman in the golden age was a fucking psycho killed, then in the silver age he became a deputized detective that would stroll during day light, then in the dark age he became a psycho that didn't killed, then in modern age he became... a non-character.

>DC is showing signs of becoming good again
>They start nuking good shit for synergy to support their complete blunder of a cinematic universe

figures

After the dark knight returns where he largely became the character he is today, that's what he was at his core up until the current day. A weird, highly intelligent and socially distant crazy person that hunts down criminals in his hometown. There hasn't been a significant, permanent change from his character since then.

Damage control?

The Swamp Thing issue is still coming. my theory is rebirth stuff and they don't wanna distract from Multiversity Superman arc

He's not a killer anymore, actually he has a strong hate for guns. He has many more allies. His butler is his right hand man/father figure. He started out as an agent of vengeance but with time he became a broken soul out to protect innocents and make sure others wouldn't have to go through his pain.

Look at this synergy.

He wasn't a killer in Dark Knight returns, I don't think you understand.

>Batman in the golden age was a fucking psycho killed
Fuck off. That literally lasted for like 5 issues before they decided that Batman shouldn't kill. Stop basing your knowledge of Batman comics off of wikipedia articles you read.

>He's still a a cold and distant vigilante after a fairly long time now, because it's what works.
He had a really long friendly and social vigilante phase until the 90s and later made into a myth in 2000s, you casual.

>Implying rubber bullets are somehow not lethal

Less lethal sure, but it's not like it's a BB gun or anything.

Utter semantics.

I was already gonna drop it after the current I am Suicide arc (for the sake of completion), just like everybody else

King is shit and All Star Batman is better anyway

Figured. Same thing with Snyder, but with AMERICAN VAMPIRE and SWAMP THING, as well as Morrison, to a certain degree, and his own past, and present at the time, works.

Hell, even goes across the border, with Hickman and THE AVENGERS.

The Big2, more than any other AAA distributor in any other medium, has the most consistent record of sniping promising creators and wasting years of their lives molding them into something they aren't.

Snyder's Swamp Thing was worse than his Batman.

Why?

In order to prevent gang war. It's not like it was ever presented as an easy decision for her to make.

A fan on Twitter asked King about the whole "Bat/Cat" nickname thing, he said it's because that's who they are, Bruce and Selina are the masks.

>the Bruce is the mask meme

I thought we moved past that

>implying concussions aren't lethal
Less lethal than breaking someone's neck sure, but it's not like it's a lovetap or anything.

Rubber bullets, like using his fists, is a concession to Batman's no-kill rule. If Miller had meant to show Batman as gunning down Mutants, he would've just left it at regular ammunition. And before you bring up the "I believe you" page, I think it's ambiguous enough that Miller wanted the reader to decide if Batman killed or wounded that Mutant.

He literally had to take acting lessons from Alfred to seem more like Bruce Wayne in public. Bruce is almost undoubtedly the mask.

>A fan on Twitter asked King about the whole "Bat/Cat" nickname thing, he said it's because that's who they are, Bruce and Selina are the masks
I swear that I'm trying to give King a chance, but he just simply make it harder and harder for me do so.

The "Bruce is the mask" meme ended after Bruce Wayne: Murderer/Fugitive but I guess that isn't canon anymore so we get to go through that all over again.

Nobody's forcing you to read, you know. Unless you're that big characterfag that you MUST read Batman.

>"Bruce is the mask" meme
I also hate this meme and hoped that it died forever.

It never ended. It carried over in 2000s as well.

even Snyder had an arc about it in Zero Year
with Bruce saying that only his vigilante war matters and that the Wayne is just a name he doesn't care about to accepting it at the end and realizing that he is both

>accepting it at the end and realizing that he is both
This what I want.

Batman is literally everywhere, but we hardly see Bruce Wayne (not even in his current solo book) which is such a freaking shame and wasted potential.

>expecting Grayson level quality
Who the heck was expecting or wanting this level of quality for Batman?

King is clearly going for the "Bruce died when his parents got killed" angle, especially considering that preview about the next I am Suicide issue

Bruce Wayne Fugitive was in the mid-00s. There's a never-ending battle between writers who want to write him as Batjerk and those who want a dark, but emotionally healthy hero.
Morrison was meta about it and gave us the latter who ended up becoming the former after Damian died.

>you knew I wouldn't make it
>I knew you wouldn't make it

>because you were running away
>because you were chasing me

>you killed 237 people, cat. I had to chase you.
>I killed 237 people, bat. I had to run.

Living in Bendis' America.

Fugitive was in Rucka-Brubaker era around 2001 or 02. Morrison had Batman get a revamp in 52 when he met the ten eyed cult. That explained his personality during his run.

Nah, not at all. But if you don't like it, why continue reading? God knows I dropped most of books from certain company.