Adam Warren wrote the best Teen Titans story that also was a good Batman story

Adam Warren wrote the best Teen Titans story that also was a good Batman story.

Other urls found in this thread:

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Titans-Scissors-Paper-Stone
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what is this

1997 Comic written by Adam Warren as I believe part of the Elseworlds imprint. Titans: Scissors, Paper, Stone.

In the distant future a young woman with magic powers who dislikes them because its the future and who the hell cares about this magic trash that only works because of belief structures, finds out a massive space monster that may as well be a demon is going to attack some place so she decides to counter it with the power of myth and from fractured historical records tries to assemble a group reflecting ancient heroes of earth who fought a similar creature who were called the Teen Titans.

Gather allies who exemplify the archetypes of the titans. Herself a Magician with supernatural powers. A young woman whose body was replaced with a full prosthetic giving her super human physical powers. A young man who is by all accounts dead but possessed by an alien energy being giving him various super powers. And her boyfriend who is a normal person who she used super tech to implant him with the skills and personality of the former leader of the ancient titans.

Except things don't go as planned because she's missing archetypes, and things don't always happen like they do in stories.

That sounds really stupid

Even though it's an Elseworld, I like to pretend that this is canon to the mainline DC universe.

Synopses for Warren's comics always sound stupid. They can still be really good though.

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Titans-Scissors-Paper-Stone

Agreed...but even though its full of interesting ideas; I thought it falls a bit flat.

Adam Warren characters appear in a issue of the Teen Titans Go! comics

I really liked, but I first read back in 1997 during the anime craze.

Wait, is it
>the best "Teen Titans Story" that was also a "Good Batman Story"
or super-niche
>The best "Teen Titans Story that was also a Good Batman Story"?

Also, is it a Good Story about Batman or a story about a Good Batman?

it was okay, but it had a really crappy ending(which is an issue that most Elseworlds had)

And yet, when Grant Morrison does it it's "genius".

storytime some Warren

/thread

>Except things don't go as planned because she's missing archetypes, and things don't always happen like they do in stories.
Nah, the point was she misinterpreted superheroes as being overly simplistic and idealized. All happy, silly fun, not realizing that it had its darker, serious elements too. At the end, Bruce tells her that a little tragedy adds to the mythos.

They still won and saved the colony, even if a few of them got fucked up in the process.

One of the DC Nation's New Teen Titans shorts that preceded TTG also referenced it.

I've never read this story by Warren so seconding this Storytime, please

Okay, I'll give it a go.

Yoruichi?

Next page is here

Well, this is gonna take a while.

Forgive me, this is the first time I've story timed anything.

I generally love Warren's art and hate his pretentious, nihilistic, oh-so-dark-and-edgy attempts at writing, but this one really works for me. Always loved it, bought it back in '97.

So for those who haven't read this story before, we've got a bit of en media res going on here.

The fight is happening presently, but we're gonna flashback to see how the kids got together.

>tfw Wyatt designed them "for fun" for the cartoon
>tfw there were actually ideas thrown around to use them on the show that never came to fruition

I think this would've made a cool addition to the old DC Showcase they used to do.

I honestly think Dead Pretty Boy here has one of the coolest back stories for a hero.

I'd love to see an ongoing about him in this far future setting.

He's an interesting twist on the "Superman" type of hero, and a pretty likable guy in his own right.

Just look at him go.

Bad-fucking-ass.

>Nuffy muffin.
Heh.

Whelp, fucked that up.

Funny enough, put a vagina on the dude to the left and I'd be all over it.

Same. No homo.

And we get to the archetypal break down.

I actually enjoy how academic it is.

And Here. We. Go!

When I first saw that the Teen Titans cartoon would be in "anime" style I immediately tought on Adam Warren's Titans comic from 1997.

Be right back, gents.

Sorry, had to deal with some stuff.

Moving on!

See, look at this awesome son-of-a-bitch.

Nooo! Thug Life!

Hurray! Waifu-borg is okay!

Not exactly an auspicious ending, but while I don't agree with the closing sentiment, I still really love this little story.

Wish we had more sci-fi, far-future heroes like this. Love all the Legion stuff but I'd love to see more and different heroes.

Little bit of "bad-nano" as we close out.

Man, I miss pre fishlips Warren

And there we have it.

Mr. Warren's wild ride has come to an end, for now.

Hope you enjoyed, Sup Forumsmrades.

Hurry up and post volume 9. I know it'll be a marathon for you, seeing how it is only two chapters. But we believe in you.

His accent is complete bullshit though.

This really kinda sucked.

????

Sorry, volume 9 of what?

You talking about Empowered or some such? Cause I don't have that.

It's the future, I imagine everybody talks weird at this point.

Plus, it's not an accent it's brain damage.

Yup, he talks weird because Starfire also talks weird.

I enjoyed the ass shots of Witchy Poo. Warren knows how to draw a good female body.

I remember seeing this advertised in Wizard for a few months, plus when Warren did a Basic Training article he included some of the characters. His style has always been this bizarre mishmash of great technical ability, top tier visual action composition, and appealing cartoon-stylized anatomy, but man does he really keep diving headlong into the superficial weeaboo anime faces. It's like he has 9/10 of a great style, but then you get to the faces and... yeah.

Also by admitting to reading issues of Wizard older than most posters here, I guess I'm kinda giving away my age.

>8x10^4 programs of study
That's a hell of a lot. How much you want to bet that half of those are bullshit like those crappy Indian CGI ripoff videos?

Was Warren the first to envision a Waifu?

dunno but he drew a topless Cammy pic for a Japanese doujinshi