Why did Weyland-Yutani send a bunch of interstellar truck drivers to investigate the anomaly?

Why did Weyland-Yutani send a bunch of interstellar truck drivers to investigate the anomaly?

Other urls found in this thread:

avp.wikia.com/wiki/Joan_Lambert
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

they were disposable

Same reason they had a science officer aboard.

because they were close to it and sending another spacecraft to investigate would take decades to arrive.

They were going to be in the area, and hopefully not draw to much attention to it all.

>tfw you'll never get an update on the bonus situation

Because it's easier to bribe a freight crew and have no questions asked.

This, you retarded OP?

I fucking can't stand how many people don't understand the basic plot in this simple movie. They weren't sent to find an Alien, there was no direct contact with the company. Mother was an AI that detected the signal and using artificial intelligence made the decision to wake everyone up. It then communicated to the other AI on board (Ash) that the crew was disposable. The company did not order anything directly, but mother was acting in the best interest of them.

Based frog poster

That's not the reason at all. They put Ash on board specifically to check it out. This act implies it wouldn't have taken a particularly long time to send something out to check the planet.

But wait, didn't they intentionally put Ash on board the ship before it left for this purpose without telling them he was a robot? That would indicate they planned to send them there before the ship left.

That's not what happened at all. The Company knew and put Ash on board. Remember that scene in which it's stated he was a last minute addition to the crew?

Hmm. If they put Ash on the ship to investigate the Alien why did they go there on the way BACK from their mission? I never thought about this before, seems like a minor plot hole at least.

>implying there was ever a bonus situation at all

They were gonna be bamboozled one way or another. Those rich fucks at Weyland-Yutani were never gonna make good on that promise.

Indeed. The company had prior knowledge and put Ash on a ship whose route was closest to the beacon.

Because they were nearby and disposable.

I'm assuming the route that took them near the planet on the way back didn't take them near the planet on the way in the first half

It's more convenient?

Profit and plausible deniability, ya dingus

They never put Ash on the ship to investigate the alien, I don't know what the fuck you're all talking about.

He was a last-minute crew replacement and the crew wasn't told that he was a robot, what's the alternate explanation

>They never put Ash on the ship to investigate the alien

They absolutely did and absolutely knew about the Xenomorphs existence. As for knowing about the distress signal I don't think it was explained but it's likely they knew about that too.

Yes they did. You're misremembering a pretty clear hint from the movie.

>the AI mother was in charge of supplies and ordered the replacement because she detected the signal from another ship's mother that had recently passed by the planet months prior. This is all implied you idiots

Yeah... it that's not what happened? I mean with the secret sub directive and having a sleeper agent on board. WY definitely sent ash and the crew explicitly to investigate a signal that had been detected before the nostromo had left with ash on board.

Give me a source or stop trying to force this fanon. Please don't tell me it's the novelisation or a comic book or some shit.

Source: the movie. Are you trying to pull some "i was only pretending to be retarded" joke?

It's mentioned in the film by Dallas

Are you dense? It's in the fucking movie.

This. They aren't exactly subtle about the fact that Ash intentionally lied to the crew. Why else do you think he even attacked? It's also why Ash didn't freak out when the chestburster made its grand entrance while everyone else lost their shit.

If you watch the movie, Ash is single handedly responsible for everything that went down up until the Alien became full grown.

He pushed Ripley to let in the contamination. He wanted to examine the alien. He might have pushed a button or something that resulted in the dead facehugger falling from the ceiling (shows him reaching with a pen/pencil and then it falling). He stops Parker from killing the newborn alien. He was on a mission the whole time to keep it alive.

What was with ash forcing the magazine down Ripley's throat?

Not why was he trying to kill her, but why was he so bad at it

>tfw Winona Ryder and her likeness will never appear in a sequel to Alien Isolation

I don understand how people don't see how ash is clearly the instigator. I mean what, WY just has advanced androids on the fly that happen to be pushing a corporate agenda every step of the way just in case people run into first contact scenarios?

Ash isn't an assassin.

He was programmed for analysis and data, not combat. But yeah, they should've gotten a Rutger Hauer robot to do the job.

It always seemed to me that Ash had regret about his actions and didn't want to do it, but his programming was forcing him to, and he was struggling with it. That's what I take from Ian Holm's portrayal anyway.

>I mean what, WY just has advanced androids on the fly that happen to be pushing a corporate agenda every step of the way just in case people run into first contact scenarios?

Actually yes, they do, because they know first contact would be the Xeno.

True. Even when he gets decapitated, he still has his little "I guess I'm the asshole" speech afterwards.

He was suffering from conflicts in his programing. He wasn't programed to kill but was order to do so.

>I mean what, WY just has advanced androids on the fly that happen to be pushing a corporate agenda every step of the way just in case people run into first contact scenarios?
Literally yes. That is exactly what Ash did.

No I'm sorry I wasn't more clear- not that they don't HAVE them but rather if ash wasn't intentionally planted that they would have had to pepper all long haul shipping lines with androids on the off stance of corporate interest

I was just saying that ash was intentionally planned specifically for that one mission, not that WY uses a sort of android commisariat

>they would have had to pepper all long haul shipping lines with androids on the off stance of corporate interest
Well they probably ended up doing that anyway, that's sort of what the movie is about.

My interpretation of that scene has always been that he was attempting to kill her, sure, but also trying to simulate an attack by the alien. So that nobody would suspect him. Up to that point, all they really knew about the alien was it had a thing for throat-fucking people, in its face-hugger stage. In trying to force "something" down her throat to kill her, he would have taken the heat off of himself. The rest of the crew only knew the alien as a throat-fucker at one stage of its life.

If he'd succeeded in killing her, the three or four truck drivers would've only had these two pieces of information:
>When it was an egg it throat-fucked John Hurt
>There's an alien loose on the ship now and Ripley was throat-fucked to death
They weren't scientists or doctors.

He was trying to kill her and blame it on the alien.

If my theory is correct, he no doubt would have disposed of the bloody magazine.

Yeah I felt that when he wishes the crew well despite believing they are doomed.

Was ash knowledgeable about Xenos from previous corporate knowledge or did he create a prognosis based off his own personal abservations of the xenomorph?

When they ask MOTHER for their likelihood of survival it cannot compute, but if it had previous knowledge of the Xeno wouldn't it give the secret order answer like it did when Ripley questioned it about Ash?

Oh, yeah, sure.

There are any number of perfectly reasonable back-story scenarios. Let me imagine one or two:

The space and its rights was considered by all human administration to be Up For Grabs to whatever entity. Thus WY, who had old knowledge tucked away a generation or two (as suggested by shittier and unnecessary AvP movies) wanted to stake a claim.

-The decisions could have been miscommunicated based on old/deprecated data. The whole thing could have been botched at the top-level (which would explain its trickle-down effect) by some one apparatchik who smelled dollars. This would be consistent with the whole WY mythos.

Wrong and you don't even deserve to comment on the film. The context of the film is that these private mining voyages take place over months/years, not decades. Their propulsion is good enough to get them home within months. When Lambert announces that they'll be home in ten months, this gets a serious Oh No from the crew, and an Oh God from Ripley. They reasonably expect to be done sooner than that, but for their manuevers around the system.

Most everything (but regrettably, you you have kernels of truth in your massive stupidity) in the film militates against your idiotic and self-contradictory opinion. This is the worst post on Sup Forums over the past two years or so. The bits of corn-truth would have to picked out of your shit-pile.

To save money on the bonuses.

Why are these sort of ships so cool?
I used to play battlefleet gothic in my teens and I can't get enough

this guy has the answer.

Sorry, forgot my image.jpg

A plausible theory. Nice thinking, user.

For me, it's because they look extraordinary, but also utilitarian and borderline realistic. Like there's no way they could exist in our universe right now, but maybe hundreds of years down the line.

Basically, WY already knew about the anomaly and they've probably sent other ships there which didn't make it back.

Was it rape?
avp.wikia.com/wiki/Joan_Lambert
>Lambert was born November 7, 2093; initially born male, she underwent Despin Convert sexual realignment at birth for undisclosed reasons.[2

Th...thanks John Carpenter

James Cameron, but yeah. I think they reference it in the visual game.

It was in their contracts to check any deep space anomalies or they forfeited their cut.

For some reason, I feel like that was retconned so as to make the alien kill only male characters. So that in the end, it came down to one women against one skeleton-rape-monster-made-of-penises. That pointless dynamic is thrown out the window if Lambert is a female too.

Wait what the fuck is this, when the fuck did they change her to being a tranny and why is that even a thing.
>avp wiki
Oh wait it's just bullshit never mind

Is there anything more pathetic than "experts" in aliens lore? Like, my man, they can't even keep shit straight from one film to the next and you're bending over backwards to try and make everything make sense. It's sad. No one involved gives a single fuck, just you.

its in Lamberts file onscreen during Ripleys interrogation in Aliens

they wanted to evade the bonus situation

Well there you go colour me corrected thanks user. She's also hyperactive and to dumb to do anything else but long cryosleep missions,can see why ripley had to tell the navigator
>that's not our system