War movie does it's best to be as historically accurate as possible

>war movie does it's best to be as historically accurate as possible

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Blithe
skeptic.com/reading_room/campus-unrest-viewpoint-diversity-and-freedom-of-speech/
hdot.org/debunking-denial/ab7-coke-coal-cremation/
hdot.org/debunking-denial/ab6-open-air-burning/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Name one movie that does this

Name literally one.

Technically not a movie, but Gettysburg is pretty historically accurate.

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

ww2 or more recent movies are usually decent? anything previous to that is always garbage

yea nothing historical accuracy like some cartoon villain nazis

just watched Tora Tora Tora and it was pretty historically accurate for the most part despite it' technical limitations

Hi, Sup Forums

Some smaller market films like 1944 or Täällä pohjantähden alla (not WW2 but similiar era) are pretty accurate, but nothing by Hollywood is even remotely close to historical accuracy.

The nazis had the most organized and technologically advanced army in the world that was only beaten in the end by sheer numbers. Portraying them as dumb subhumans running to their deaths and mistreated by their superiors while Americans are an efficient machine that values individual lives is a huge lie no matter how you feel about eugenics.

>he believes the jewish lies

Giggle

>he posts on (((Sup Forums)))

what's a war movie with cartoon nazis? usually they either aren't shown as characters with dialogue (just as enemies) or they are shown as relatively normal people

unless they are concentration camp guards, at which point you can hardly remain a normal person

i mean there was that one german sociopath in "save private ryan", but the point of the character wasn't that all germans are evil, it was just a narrative device to break the one american soldier who tried to retain too much of his humanity on a war zone

In nearly every American ww2 movie Nazis are an unorganized bunch with low morale and who panic and scramble before the glorious American military. Even if they have no dialogue to make them "cartoonishly evil" they're still cartoonishly inadept.

kinda off topic but related, how historically accurate was the band of brothers series? I liked it. please avoid the 6 gorillion meme if you can.

so? the nazis lost battles, what's unrealistic about showing nazis losing a battle?

yes, it would be nice to have a war movie where the good guys lose and it shows the more dark side of war, but not sure how good would that sell to normies.

but that doesn't make a victory movie unrealistic, unless that self-contained story has unrealistic elements in itself

Only someone from Sup Forums would have that image saved.

There are several inaccuracies, one that comes to mind is this:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Blithe

In the mini-series Band of Brothers closing text of the third episode incorrectly states that Blithe died December 17, 1948, due to never fully recovering from his wound (bullet to the neck). This was an error made by the shows producers.

Nazis lost battles, they didn't lose every single battle they were in and it was practically never due to incompetence. They lost because the Allied forces kept throwing bodies at them. In American movies they always lose because of the indigenousness of US forces which is far from the truth, the Nazis kept outmaneuvering Allies even towards the end. They just ran out of resources.

Dunkirk is a pretty accurate WW2 movie come to think of it.
Sup Forums is literally the only board where people don't tell others to "go to Sup Forums". I'm also not the person you replied to originally.

problem child 2

>the film focuses on gruesome depictions of war itself instead of exploring the sociological and historiographical underpinnings of the conflict to challenge the viewer's understanding

Life is much simpler as a brainlet

>Nazis lost battles, they didn't lose every single battle they were in and it was practically never due to incompetence. They lost because the Allied forces kept throwing bodies at them. In American movies they always lose because of the indigenousness of US forces which is far from the truth, the Nazis kept outmaneuvering Allies even towards the end. They just ran out of resources.

Go try your hand at /his/ or an academic forum instead of shilling your false beliefs to an unrelated forum.

I frequent /his/ and I'm also literally a history major at a highly regarded university but sure, Hollywood is accurate and everything contradicting it is a false belief.

You and I both and I don't see you peddling that broad stroke view of history to anyone worth a shit.

t. Ucsd grad

>at a highly regarded university but sure
universities are not what they used to be, specially on the soft "sciences"

>portraying them as dumb subhumans
>attacks Russia in winter

Wow so fucking ubermensch. That tends to happen when you supercharge your economy so that you have no other option than to rush to war with your neighbors to prevent it from collapsing on their economically superior uberheads.
They didn't even have the tech, they needed Czechoslovaks to build it for them.
And now thanks to naziboos we have floods of niggers everywhere. Not to mention that current naziboos are always excited to implode any nationalist rally they set their sight on.

Truly a Band of Winners.

>broad stroke view of history
Obviously, it's a few sentences on an anime image board. But so are movies.
Maybe, I'm not American and ours isn't too bad. No safe spaces or any of that crap. One of our professors is a published author who just put out a book about the decline and impending collapse of the Western civilization due to regression of culture and the imitation and acceptance of lesser civilizations and he didn't get into any trouble from the school.

Though there isn't much emphasis on military history these days, most of what I've read about WW2 is purely on a hobby basis.

Attacking Russia was Hitler's error, not an error of the chain of command that actually made decisions on the battlefield. World War 2 battles weren't micromanaged from Berlin.

What's the uni name hotshot.

>history major

Alexander, Dunkirk, Zulu, Lawrence of Arabia, Etc..Some historical films are just wildly inaccurate like The Patriot, but even a lot of the good ones aren't a hundred percent accurate. Many decisions are made solely because the writers are trying to create an interesting film and have to dramatize or outright change things.

Glad your prof writes topical jordan peterson tier reactionary drivel. Sounds like a real honest historian.

Uni of Helsinki
I fell for the STEM meme too, but switched majors (or more accurately reapplied to school) eventually when I figured I'd rather learn about something I actually care about than something that employs well.

don't hate the humanities, they are important

Did I say he's a master historian? He's a bitter old man but the point is his EXTREMELY anti-PC views didn't cause trouble for him even though he's employed at the humanist department of a university.

Master and Commander

What credibility does that give or how does that even respond to anybody in this thread. Just makes your credentials sound like a joke.

>Uni of Helsinki

It's my understanding that humanities studies in America especially have been compromised by the PC movement and only allow for a certain school of thought along the lines described here: skeptic.com/reading_room/campus-unrest-viewpoint-diversity-and-freedom-of-speech/ at the expense of objective scientific study.

I'm just saying it's not a global phenomenon, yet at least.

I haven't seen this, but i've heard it's a fantastic film with a lot of history behind it. Need to watch it sometime.

Bruh, that barely scrapes in to the top 100 unis.

>middle of winter
>sleeping bear
>a bunch of nude white boys decides to beat him to death using their white boi microdicks
>Ushi and Ule lures him out of the Cave
>Franz attacks his legs
>Hans strikes from the flank
>a superior strategy

It doesn't matter how you micromanage when the starting plan is utter shit

That still doesn't give your claim of nazis being ubersoldiers that would've won the war if those darn allies hadn't cheated any more credibility
In fact, going to a Finnish (who in large part owe their national existence to Nazi Germany for supporting them during the Winter War) university suggests that you may have some serious bias at work

I know. Any school in the top 100 is a good school, even below it. It's the best school in the country and I'm not about to move to the US and pay 150k for a marginally better education, if that even holds true anymore. Most of those "elite" US colleges are considered so because of their research, not because of their level of teaching.

stop speaking like that you cunt

>your claim of nazis being ubersoldiers that would've won the war if those darn allies hadn't cheated
Would you like to make up more strawman arguments to argue against? I said the nazis had the most organized army and most advanced military technology in the world, which they did, and that the Allied had brute numbers and larger casualties, which they did.

Nobody's saying they were supersoldiers, but that they definitely weren't less organized than the Allied forces which is what Hollywood would have you believe.

>muh hurler messed everything up
Any amount of basic reading will tell you that the Nazi chain of command was corrupt and ineffectual from top to bottom

>Any school in the top 100 is a good school
You only say that because you don't have any good unis in your country. In reality, anything outside the top 50 is mediocre at best.

13 Hours seemed pretty accurate. And I'm sure the trend holds that the smaller the scope the more accurate the filmmaker can be.

I just want a movie that shows the Holocaust never happened. The amount of coke (high energy coal, very scarce near end of war during a war when supply lines are cut and allies pushing inwards when the holocaust supposedly began and all the killings occurred) required to burn that many bodies is in the hundred millions of tonnes. We have no records of that much coke being delivered. We have all their communications and could listen in and surveilliance planes flying over head and NONE show the amount of coke required for even a fraction of the bodies supposedly burned.

Additionally, the coke furnaces are single body furnaces and at maximum output could run 21 hours a day. 3 hours required to clean the coke buildup of the fins or it would implode basically.

For the amount of bodies they try to claim are burned, a modern crematorium could not burn a fraction of those bodies in that time period. ALso, the bodies cannot be vaporized completely in the 2-3 hour time period - bone fragments and whatnot remain still. Modern crematoriums take these and put in a tumbler with giant steel balls that pulverize the remaining fragments and only then do you get teh ashes for your cremated loved one.

Nazis using an inefficient method comparatively were able to do it faster and completely with no bone fragments remaining or need to bury. The ashes also spread to the wind and were never found, supposedly used to fertilize farms on mass and dumped in rivers. No carbon content in sediment is found or show these types of millions of dead bodies in surrounding areas.

There are also no mass graves anywhere. Auschwitz is the largest camp(s) (theres 3 camps to the one Auschwitz, but most only know about Auschwitz 2 from Schindlers List). It has a very high water table and you cannot bury bodies anywhere, let alone milliosn in mass graves due to being surrounded by two rivers and marshland. No mass graves. No ashes. 5 furnaces to burn 1.4 million (originally 4.4 million) people.

make way you historical fucking shits

>most advanced technology
Yeah like those strategic bombe-
Oh wait
Or that cost effective medium tan-
Oh wait
What about that aircraft carrie-
Oh wait
Don't forget that standard-issue self-loading rif-
Oh wait
But what about those virtually uncrackable ciphe-
Oh wait

And any amount of American propaganda would have you believe that Nazi soldiers were moronic idiots, what's your point? There's plenty of literature saying the Nazi chain of command functioned very well too, and considering how the war played out they seem much more credible than some slander written by the victors.
Ok, literally who the fuck cares about your arbitrary rankings? I was told to go to /his/ and I said I already study history full time. You're literally only making this obscure distinction as an effort to "win" an online argument.

Tora Tora Tora

we need a narcos style ww2 documentary, with real footage and stock material from literally every ww2 movie ever.

It's a good thing they lost.

and some kike narrating it with jingoistic anti-goy ferver

>I'm also literally a history major at a highly regarded university
Lmao, don't try to backpedal. You tried to use your university's prestige to "win" an online argument.

Das Boot

t. Joseph Goebbels

No I didn't, you're projecting. I only wanted to distinguish it from some community college night courses which anyone can enroll into with no applicant process. The year I got in there were around 1200 applicants and 32 were chosen.

>implying submarines exist

Red Tails

Gods & Generals had numerous fuck-ups.

>trying to pull rank in an internet shitfling
Do all finngols post like this?

>pull rank
Is there anything wrong with that to be honest? The point is just to get in I had to study more about history than the average Sup Forums poster has read in his lifetime and that's ignoring anything I might've learnt since.

/his/is lefty-Sup Forums without flags

how is it not a movie?

>warcraft movie does its best to be historically accurate

>Any amount of basic reading will tell you that the Nazi chain of command was corrupt and ineffectual from top to bottom
*conquers half of europe in a year*

If that's true then why are you spewing objectively incorrect information? I get Finland is a country of naziboos so I assume that view has a pull on education (assuming, of course, you're not blowing this all out your ass)

*fails to conquer a tiny little island with significantly more women than men on it*
*fails to conquer millions of disorganized and hilariously outclassed slavs*
Please continue

What information in particular do you have an objection to?

Meant for

Why do ya'll like to argue so much about the nazis? You weren't there and the truth is obscured from time. We will never know the truth and even if you did it wouldn't matter. Focus your efforts on global warming or something

I don't get it
Why does the anglo love the jew so much??

Jews make good mobiss fren

its funny

I think you just destroyed being a historian as a profession user

No need to thanks me, I'm just sitting here alone in my room enlightening your day one post at a time

All of it?
Continuously outpacing your supply lines and utterly failing to capitalize on any gains made (See: North Africa, Battle of Britain, the Bulge, Kursk) is the mark of shitty leadership and logistics. It doesn't matter how good your tacticians are if your offensives keep grinding to a halt because your ammo and fuel is three weeks behind on a horsedrawn carriage.
The tech thing is flat-out incorrect as well. Nazi Germany had a few meme projects such as primitive cruise missiles and dubiously useful jet interceptors, yes, but the actual small but important advances were made by the allies and the allies alone (mass-produced and issued SLRs, pressurized four engined strategic bombers, proximity fused AAA rounds, the fucking NUKE).
You're a retard spouting basic pop history without a clue of what you're on about, and I'm depressed if this is the absolute state of Finnish higher education.

Hobbies exist, user

but they had cool uniforms

they attacked russia in the middle of summer

Eh, too much grey and black imo

Apparently everyone is lefty Sup Forums. Meanwhile the people who don't care about politics have to read this mindless shit.

If you think back to where the discussion started it was depiction of battles and the behaviour of german troops that was the issue. I haven't seen a hollywood movie yet that talks about the german logistics or errors made in high command nor was I criticizing the portrayal of those or claiming they were perfect. In ww2 movies the Nazi troops are an unorganized bunch who run around like chicken with their heads cut off and are outwitted by US troops every time which is simply an unrealistic depiction of the events. Nazis are portrayed as the mindless force that can only move straight forward or backward and dumping bodies into bullets while the Allies use their cunning when the reality was very much the other way around.

As for tech I wasn't referring to some obscure technologies that barely saw use but most importantly their tanks, artillery and fighter aircraft which were for the most part far superior to those of the Allied forces and their operators more skilled. Can't argue with the nuke though.
>I'm depressed if this is the absolute state of Finnish higher education.
If it eases your mind I have ways to go before I graduate :)

/his/ is mostly communist apologists and normalfags who watch lindybeige

damntrue. Germany made the two world wars, yet now in the modern EUN also they are the bosses, and fuck up eu with their migrant inviting politics.

how the fuck did this happen?

I thought I was in Sup Forums

"Scholars have shown that the available records of the coke delivered to Auschwitz-Birkenau are incomplete. The records only run from February 16, 1942, to October 1943, with a significant gap in the middle. These records show that 497 tons of coke were delivered in 240 deliveries.[4] Without complete records, however, it is impossible to make average calculations of coke usage at Auschwitz-Birkenau. Irving’s claim lacks the critical evidence needed to support it."

"Henryk Tauber, a member of one of the cremation Sonderkommando in Auschwitz-Birkenau, testified, “…we used the coke only to light the fire of the furnace initially, for fatty bodies burned of their own accord thanks to the combustion of the body fat. On occasion, when coke was in short supply, we would put some straw and wood in the ash bins under the muffles, and once the fat of the body began to burn the other bodies would catch light themselves.”[5] According to Tauber’s testimony, there was no direct correspondence between the amount of coke use and the number of corpses that could be burned. Once the fires were started, it did not take as much coke to burn more bodies."

>hdot.org/debunking-denial/ab7-coke-coal-cremation/

Filip Müller was put to work in a Sonderkommando assigned to digging burning pits behind Crema/Gas Chamber 5 and in the woods by the cottages. The burning pits were 40 to 50 meters long, about 8 meters wide and 2 meters deep [131 to 164 feet long, about 26 feet wide and 6.5 feet deep]. Eventually they dug a total of nine large burning pits “making it possible to burn an almost unlimited number of bodies.”

>hdot.org/debunking-denial/ab6-open-air-burning/

I'm not even gonna bother with the first half of your post because implying either side utilized "human wave" doctrine after 1942 is completely asinine and shows a blatant ignorance of Zhukov and Patton's achievments.

>tanks
If this is true, why did the Battle of Arracourt pan out like it did? Why were k:d ratios on the western front so heavily skewed in favor of allied armor in general if German designs were so objectively superior?
>artillery
I'm assuming you mean AAA since everyone acknowledges that german field guns were a fucking joke. In which case this is an unfair measure since the allies didn't NEED high-altitude AAA coverage because the Germans never thought to produce a high-altitude bomber (oops)
>fighter aircraft
Yet again, objectively incorrect. Not a single fighter of the day could match a P-47 or P-51 for performance at high altitude due to their multi-stage superchargers, and the Griffon-engined Spitfires running at wartime power were some of the best propeller-driven aircraft to ever exist based on raw performance. Regarding the eastern front, the Luftwaffe were specifically ordered to avoid combat with Yak-3s below 5,000 meters.
Again, you're simply parroting pophistory and naziboo delusions of grandeur.

Generation Kill, Stalingrad.

>Americans actually believe this

>posted from the charred ruins of Dresden

He looks like Ares from God of War™ that gave up after Kratos beaten him.