How was it?

How was it?

Other urls found in this thread:

johnpilger.com/articles/the-killing-of-history
youtube.com/watch?v=QwXtTwNvWXc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

docukino

Just finished part 3
This shit is fucking comprehensive, it's pretty much the last word in Vietnam documentaries now

SOME FOLKS

SILVER SPOON

where can i watch it outside america

vietnam

why are the vietnam officers shown in military uniforms and the US officers in plain clothes?

oh right, they won the war and are now distinguished war vets

It's fantastic on every level and way overdue. Some amazing interviews and an unprecedented look into the Vietnamese side, both north and south. It was hard to hear a lot of it

Scope is unfortunately a little too ambitious to really feel in depth, they go through a lot of things but only scratch the surface. there's too much home front fluff and politics for my taste. I would have liked the testimony of more grunts, how life was in Saigon etc. I wanted more of the "in country" experience, shit like Radio First Termer would have been an excellent addition.

Towards the end I asked myself if Musgrove and Kusher were the only guys they could find that were willing to talk about their experiences

But if I do some soul searching I think I have to admit this is possibly the best documentary I've ever seen, if not the best it's certainly up there with all time favorites like OJ, going clear, Jiro & blood and guts

Fmovies.is

uj3wazyk5u4hnvtk[dot]onion

i think any educated american will admit that the North Vietnamese were the victors of that war. But Americans are still here and are still a global power despite that.

>you will never protect his smile

Because totalitarian regimes love their clown costumes and frilly dress while democratic ones have no need for such pomposity

OOH, THEY'RE RED, WHITE & BLUE

It's only a problem if you believe Uncle Ho's smile was in need of actual protection.

because when americans outgrow soldiering they are able to leave the army and enter the business world, but communist shitholes don't have alternative career tracks

>clown costumes

you best give me an army with cooler ranks than "Distinguished American Killer" or "Heroic Helicopter Destroyer"

>when americans outgrow soldiering they are able to leave the army and enter the business world

HOME DEPOT JOB FUCK YEAH

Horrific. I still wake up screaming from nightmares of taking fire in rice paddies.

Really uninteresting compared to The Civil War but I think that might be because pop culture over the last decades was so saturated with images of the Vietnam War.

Also I was looking forward to the soundtrack and turns out he just re-used old NIN tracks.

Overall 7/10.

meanwhile in the business world

yeah! damn commies! ...might be time to watch the documentary again? thats what got us into the war

September 21, 2017 "Information Clearing House" - One of the most hyped “events” of American television, The Vietnam War, has started on the PBS network. The directors are Ken Burns and Lynn Novick. Acclaimed for his documentaries on the Civil War, the Great Depression and the history of jazz, Burns says of his Vietnam films, “They will inspire our country to begin to talk and think about the Vietnam war in an entirely new way”.

In a society often bereft of historical memory and in thrall to the propaganda of its “exceptionalism”, Burns’ “entirely new” Vietnam war is presented as “epic, historic work”. Its lavish advertising campaign promotes its biggest backer, Bank of America, which in 1971 was burned down by students in Santa Barbara, California, as a symbol of the hated war in Vietnam.

Burns says he is grateful to “the entire Bank of America family” which “has long supported our country’s veterans”. Bank of America was a corporate prop to an invasion that killed perhaps as many as four million Vietnamese and ravaged and poisoned a once bountiful land. More than 58,000 American soldiers were killed, and around the same number are estimated to have taken their own lives.

I watched the first episode in New York. It leaves you in no doubt of its intentions right from the start. The narrator says the war “was begun in good faith by decent people out of fateful misunderstandings, American overconfidence and Cold War misunderstandings”.

That's just the karma of fighting an unjust war.

Gooks are scum for attacking GI Joes during the Tet Vietnamese New Year holiday.

That's a huge holiday for them and they were supposed to take the week off, but instead they sneak attack'd the Americans. Lot of good folks lost their lives during that event. Fucking sneaky soulless gooks

I heard it was "LBJ dindu nuffinz: the documentary"

I think the US were fighting the wrong gooks.

he's still in his uniform here

It's fucking shit. Bluepilled as fuck. The same old war is hell, buh I fight for the guy next to me BS. Muh moral ambiguity, both sides are real human beans.
>too pussy to attack the MIC
>too pussy to show more brutality
>too pussy to show redpilled history
Muh freedom, muh nationalism, muh communism. Could not get past ep 3.

Read the whole article

johnpilger.com/articles/the-killing-of-history

LBJ was so full of shit. I wonder if Kennedy (or even Nixon) would have lied his way into war as much as that ratfucker did.

I don't know why were fighting ANY East Asians considering we're the ones who put the Chicoms in power to begin with during WW2.

We had the choice between Chinese Nationalists and Chinese communists and FDR and his generals chose the communists.

As much as I hate boomers they shouldn't have had to die to try and undo a mistake made before they were born.

Lmao. The bank of america sponsorship did make me laugh. It's like if Nazis sponsored a WWII docu.

>The dishonesty of this statement is not surprising. The cynical fabrication of "false flags" that led to the invasion of Vietnam is a matter of record - the Gulf of Tonkin "incident" in 1964, which Burns promotes as true, was just one. The lies litter a multitude of official documents, notably the Pentagon Papers, which the great whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg released in 1971.

>There was no good faith. The faith was rotten and cancerous. For me - as it must be for many Americans - it is difficult to watch the film's jumble of "red peril" maps, unexplained interviewees, ineptly cut archive and maudlin American battlefield sequences.

>In the series' press release in Britain - the BBC will show it - there is no mention of Vietnamese dead, only Americans. "We are all searching for some meaning in this terrible tragedy," Novick is quoted as saying. How very post-modern.

>tfw incapable of communicating without memes

>All this will be familiar to those who have observed how the American media and popular culture behemoth has revised and served up the great crime of the second half of the twentieth century: from The Green Berets and The Deer Hunter to Rambo and, in so doing, has legitimised subsequent wars of aggression. The revisionism never stops and the blood never dries. The invader is pitied and purged of guilt, while "searching for some meaning in this terrible tragedy". Cue Bob Dylan: "Oh, where have you been, my blue-eyed son?"

>I thought about the "decency" and "good faith" when recalling my own first experiences as a young reporter in Vietnam: watching hypnotically as the skin fell off Napalmed peasant children like old parchment, and the ladders of bombs that left trees petrified and festooned with human flesh. General William Westmoreland, the American commander, referred to people as "termites".

>In the early 1970s, I went to Quang Ngai province, where in the village of My Lai, between 347 and 500 men, women and infants were murdered by American troops (Burns prefers "killings"). At the time, this was presented as an aberration: an "American tragedy" (Newsweek ). In this one province, it was estimated that 50,000 people had been slaughtered during the era of American "free fire zones". Mass homicide. This was not news.

All language is memetic by definition

but not all memes are linguistic

Dude, get over it. It ended 40 years ago.

Don't they have some sort of war pension ?

>out of all of the mass murders, wars, and genocides committed since 1950 the Vietnam war is THE great crime of the second half of the 20th century
Fuck off commie Boomer. Communism was a bigger threat than even Nazism.

Neocons still control foreign policy, and they continue fucking up the world

Nothing has changed.

>Nazism
>a threat

to who exactly? The US and UK supported the communists in the USSR and China in order to destroy the Japanese and Germans.

Why should we have turned around and fought the communists and killed a bunch of Vietnamese kids after we helped the communists take over Eurasia take over the world?

Orwell really knew what he was talking about.

>Dude, get over it. It ended 40 years ago.
What are you even trying to say? Get over what?

International politics are inherently amoral. Increasing your nation's sphere of of influence is how tribal warfare (which is inherent to human beings) manifests itself in the 21st century. You can't be an isolated great power.

NIN wrote like 3 hours of new material, what are you talking about?

What Comes Back and Before and After Faith are both outstanding.

the Americans supported communists against Vietnam. Cambodia's Khmer Rouge was backed by the USA.

>Bluepilled as fuck.
Stopped reading there. Learn how to talk like a real person.

This is as silly as the "we funded Al-Qaeda" meme. Alliances change based on the nature of the current threat. This is how politics work.

SeeWe're not forced to support a single regime for all of time.

get over yourself you corny faggot, do you know where you are?

Listen to this bluepilled queer.

I could only watch half this show because I just don't really care about the vietnam war.
really nothing new was said anyway and theres too much horrible shit in the present to worry about.

>it was right to arm jihadists when they're currently not targeting you

Yeah on a site filled with underaged posters like you who desperately try to fit in.

If by "right" you mean moral, then you're a fucking retard. There's no morality in politics. If by "right" you mean a good idea, that's not something we were capable of understanding at the time.

you will never ever touch or even see a vagina

>morally right
You mean morally good? No, we're talking about ethics you retard. Is it ethical to arm people who tend to murder their own people and yours in the name of their pedophile warlord prophet?

No. Not even if they're fighting your geopolitical foe.

Vaginas are bluepilled.

>funding radical jihadists was a good idea at the time

lol

Who buys this shit?

>International politics are inherently amoral

According to you

Not according to most people.

One team is on a colonial venture to take over a nation that isn't there's and have a history of committing genocide, while the other team is full of religious guys who want to fight off a foreign power. If this was the 80s you'd be supporting the mujahideen. Fuck off with your 20/20 hindsight

One question the doc never answered, or maybe I'm just underage... what the fuck is wrong with communism?

>fuck off with your 20/20 hindsight
You do realize that Muslims have been Muslims since 500 AD, right?

It's based on a presupposition that accumulation of wealth is evil and you must have been eating babies alive to acquire their life force, so we have to come in and kill you and take all your shit so I can feel like a good person.

You do realize that Sayyid Qutb is a 20th century phenomenon, right? Read a fucking book

You do realize that these goalposts are supposed to be firmly planted into the ground, right?

>implying Islam has ever changed and went through a reformation
It's specifically designed to be chaotic, destructive and war-like.
Maybe YOU should read a fucking book you dunce.

I'm not aware of any goalpost that's being moved. I'm saying that Al Qaeda's brand of political Islam was new to Western consciousness at the time, and is mostly a 20th century phenomenon inspired by the writing's of Sayyid Qutb.

TPB has only 1-5. Have the rest been leaked?

>I'm saying that Al Qaeda's brand of political Islam was new to Western consciousness at the time
kek, is that right?

How did this dumb nigger get BDUs if he was in 70-71? Fucking stolen valor faggot bitch

People in modern times weren't basing their perception of the world on medieval history, you absolute retard.

and Christianity killed Rome and plenty of ancient European civilizations.
Your point being?

Uh bullshit, Wahhabism is basically Islam practiced in the Najd that has been there since Muhammad first conquered the region.

Americans and Brits were the geniuses that decided to export that backwards fundamentalist insanity to the whole Muslim world because "muh oil muh Saudi bffs"

>People in modern times weren't basing their perception of the world on medieval history
This is just incorrect. You've already showed you hand with that stupid "colonial vulture" comment.

Fuck right off.

>Christianity killed Rome
No, Rome BECAME Christian.
My point being Islam has been the same Islam it has been since 600 AD, in practice and in literature.

It's telling you people actually don't read Muslim literature written and designed specifically for Muslim audiences.

>on meme website
>dude in English doc
Are you both retarded?

*colonial venture
And by the way, that isn't a response. It is absolutely true that the crusades were not at the forefront of our minds when we decided to help Afghanistan fight off The Soviet Union.

>quotes jefferson
>writes to presidents asking for assistance

if only we had helped him

The war wasn't unjust.

All commies need to die PERIOD

>It is absolutely true that the crusades were not at the forefront of our minds when we decided to help Afghanistan fight off The Soviet Union
It was for certain loons that didn't understand the Crusades were a late response to the threat of Islam invading Europe.

History is always present in the minds of people smart enough to understand religious political groups of the then and have implications for the religious political groups of now, especially when that religion hasn't changed and cannot change due to its rigid structure around the singular Prophet who is the very last for all eternity.

You're also fucking saying history isn't at the forefront of minds and you're bringing up COLONIALISM. Get your head examined you retard.

Qutb infused it with early 20th century anti-colonial thought, which resonated heavily with all of the disenfranchised people living in the Middle East. There's no debating that his work changed things.

>Commies need to die
>skip USSR and Chyna
>kill some dirt poor rice farmers
Wow. How effective and efficient. Meanwhile commies infect colleges and start Vietnam protests.

He was basically Rawhide Kobayashi and and we let him down.

Colonialism wasn't just perceived as recent history in the minds of people living in the region, a form of it was being attempted right in front of their eyes. This is distinct from being all that concerned over what happened 700 years ago.

Or maybe the western powers supporting Jewish supremacy and military aggression and overthrowing the secular arab nationalist governments created a power vacuum that allowed Saudi Wahhabists, who have been injected with hundreds of billions of dollars for decades now in oil revenues to take over.

Maybe if the west hadn't listened to jewish neocons and purposefully destroyed the secular rulers, something they started int eh 1950s and are still doing in Syria and have already done in Libya Iraq, etc, all the terrorism, mass immigration would have never happened.

Maybe the Islam outside of the backwards Najd region in the Arab peninsula was fairly moderate compared and Wahabbism had little influence until the Americans and Brits and Israelis started openly funding them as a way to bring about regime change in countries they didn't like.

Just a thought

Islam apologist begone!

pic relatedIslamic colonialism which you have nothing to say about. Smells a little kebaby to me.

>Maybe if the west hadn't listened to jewish neocons and purposefully destroyed the secular rulers, something they started int eh 1950s and are still doing in Syria and have already done in Libya Iraq, etc, all the terrorism, mass immigration would have never happened.
seeThe nature of Islam is to be conquering and warlike. Always has and always will be.

>muh Jews!!!!!!
I thought I was arguing with someone rational, my bad.

>ignoring Zionism expansion and the recorded plans for a Greater Israel state extending to the Euphrates and the Nile

Why do you think we're in Syria and Iraq?

Vietnamese here
On the left is the #1 prostitute in Vietnam
You like?

Blaming American foreign policy for the rise of Islamic terrorism rather than Islam itself is what being an apologist looks like.

Or maybe Wahabbists were just financed and supported by westerners, jews, and Israelis as a way to depose secular governments.

Islam was always expansionist, but it wasn't always as backwards as it is today.

See: the Islamic golden age when they had to tolerate Greek, Persian, Mesopotamian, and Egyptian thought, leaders, etc.

It wasn't until Al-Ghazali in the 11th century that Islam began outright rejecting logic and reason and that was mainly because the upper class in the Middle East were being assimilated into Arabic culture. By the time of "The Incoherence of the Philosophers" was published it became acceptable in Islam to reject Greek philosophy, Aristotle, scientific thought, and rationalism in general.

The replacement for Greek thought was "ALlah did it"

>wtf how dare you mention an important regional ethnic/racial/religious group

I'm embarrassed for you.

Not exactly. It makes him out to be pretty much an idiot who had no idea what he was doing.

Well Carter did arm and finance the Mujaheddin

and then Reagan did as well. And then he ran guns to Iran. And then he armed Saddam with Chemical weapons and told him to attack Iran.

And then Bush invaded a secular Iraq, hanged the secular ruler and allowed Sunni partisans to take over

And then Obama armed ISIS and helped Jihadists destroy Libya and Gaddafi was anally raped to death.

I'm trying to see how America "helped" in any of these instances.

Vietnamese people look ugly as fuck and have diarrhea colored skin.

I much prefer Chinese Korean Japanese looking people.

>See: the Islamic golden age when they had to tolerate Greek, Persian, Mesopotamian, and Egyptian thought, leaders, etc.
youtube.com/watch?v=QwXtTwNvWXc

You didn't even try at all.

>post yfw America is on its series finale.

>aim to purge the world of commies
>obligated to start nuclear war to accomplish this
no

Lol fucking weeb

The ideological underpinnings of the Mujaheddin weren't created by Reagan or Carter, they existed prior to any American involvement in the region.

And as for Iraq, one can recognize the role that the Treaty of Versailles played in creating the conditions that lead to the rise of Nazism, but you can't blame the treaty itself for Nazism. The blame for the violence committed by Islamic extremists can only fall on the shoulders of the people who committed that violence, not the people who created the conditions that allowed them to choose a different path.

Europe's series finale was better. Hopefully the new series China doesn't disappoint.

Europe is still going strong, America had the advantage but managed to piss it all away. Its fun to watch.

China and Russia are the two new replacement series im gonna watch