Story set in the "real" world

>Story set in the "real" world
>Ordinary people suddenly get superpowers

Yes. It is the best premise.

That's how the Monster Hunter movie is gonna happen.
>Ordinary guy in dead end job finds out he's the descendant of a Monster Hunter
>The monsters in MH come to the """real world"""
>where they were originally but decided to come back because they were the mythical creatures we spoke of like Dragons.
>Directed by same guy that does Resident Evil Movies

Prepare your asshole.

>somebody suddenly gets super powers
>conveniently, superheroes don't exist whatsoever in that world's fiction

Monster Hunter is a shit series and the movie is going to be a trainwreck

>Heroes fight big bad
>Defeat him with the power of LOVEE

>heroes fight big bad
>they all get a few good hits in, but fucking die
>last man standing kills the big bad, but ends up killing himself in the process
>"YOU'LL KILL US BOTH."
>"I know ;)"
The only way to go.

Movie might be a trainwreck, but if its done properly, it could be a good trainwreck.
Also a big fan of latent abilities, instead of moment mutations

>power of love fails
>defeats the big bad with the power of self respect

>historically accurate setting
>giant crab appears

>POWER can only be earn through trainning

>Mass Effect Andromeda Protagonist

OP, you are obviously tired of fiction. Have you considered switching to non-fiction?

>story with a clever and entertaining gimmick
>refuses to take itself seriously and ruins its own premise with shitty lolrandumb "humour"

>villain becomes invincible
>kills all the insanely powerful heroes
>is killed by an orphan with MOTHERFUCKING OXYGEN

Yeah, that's maybe the only dash of meta I kinda need in a book. It's not a "real" world if they don't have super-human fiction. I don't care if it's other made-up characters or not. Shit's been around since Gilgamesh.

I hate it when zombie stuff pulls this, too. It's always "walkers", or "the infected", or "boingboingzippitydoos", or whatever, but never "zombies". And no-one in those fucking worlds has ever even HEARD of the walking dead, a truly ancient trope common in literally every human culture of note. It's always "lol they sick we need to help be right bak won't die promise".

It's fucking Shaun of the Dead that had to point it out! So a parody of the genre made, what, 30 years after its entry into pop culture media is the one that has to drop the message that it's really odd everyone in these movies has never seen a fucking zombie movie? I mean, Zombieland was really only a good movie because it consciously started taking those shitty tropes head on.

>takes itself seriously
>gets called "grimderp edgy fanfic-tier shit" on Sup Forums

>Taking itself seriously immediately means dark lighting, no humor and moody atmosphere
Pacific Rim took itself seriously for the most part.

Can anyone imagine how horrible it would be if normies got superpowers?

Imagine the obese women in scooters at walmart getting the power to shoot radiation beams

Imagine thug niggers getting the power of super strength

Imagine retarded little children who throw tantrums being able to use telekinesis

If normies got powers you would have to live in a bomb shelter forever

>the world is binary, and not taking the choice I prefer automatically means the polar opposite happens

There are degrees to everything. The point is, a story can lessen its own impact if it takes the piss. Especially in speculative fiction it can make the reader unsure as to what to take seriously. Mostly, it's an issue of tone and suspension of disbelief.

is right. Pacific Rim is a movie that took its fighting robots seriously, as did its inspiration Robojox (written by science fiction pro Joe Haldeman, BTW). It *needs* to take its fighting robots seriously for the fights themselves to be exciting. This is immediately noticable in PR, because the robots actually move like heavy objects. That's what a movie taking itself seriously looks like. If your movie is about giant robot fights, you can't poke fun at your giant robot fights. It kills suspension of disbelief.

The example I had in mind was murder mystery with a psychic component. I can't care about that when the writer and artist are constantly making shitty jokes because "lol it's just a comic XDXDXDXDXD".

>Imagine retarded little children who throw tantrums being able to use telekinesis

They would turn into futuristic crime bosses who send their victims back in time to be killed by a hired assassin because murder is impossible in the future. So impossible that they would have to send the assassin back in time as well, though for some convoluted reason they make the assassins back in time kill their future selves, because there's no way that could possibly go wrong.

Anyway, my big fantasy is mind powers, and I'd use them to make asshole scooter drivers unable to see trucks.