3. Seven Samurai
4. Wings of Desire
5. Taxi Driver

>Only God Forgives
>Michael Koholhaas
>Anime Nere
>Lost in Translation
>It's a beautiful day

but Im not so sure. Yesterday I rewatched Fire walk with me and it could be up there

Network
Dead Man
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Underground
Mulholland Drive

The Thing
Far from men
Big Trouble in Little China
Valhalla Rising
The Shining

I watched come and see a couple weeks ago. It was amazing. Amerifats can never make movies that don't glorify war at least a little bit

Trainspotting
Heat
Blue Velvet
The Thing
Drive

Only have one.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Platoon
Taxi Driver
Amadeus
Road Warrior
Stalker

Xmen
Xmen 2
Xmen 3
Fast and furious 2
Fight club

Come at me Cinesnobs

django unchained
Law abiding citizen
now you see me
Pulp fiction

Glengarry Glen Ross
The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
Goodfellas
Heat
Dumb and Dumber

1.there will be blood
2.the holy mountain
3.LOTR
4.trainspotting
5.28 days later

>inb4 reddit

Just posting Top 5 and doing nothing else is pretty retarded.
Atleast try to recc to one another something

wood job
coraline
mad max 2

i don't have five

Apocalpyse Now
Amadeus
Fallen Angels
Memories of Murder
Cure

What are some other films with the insane sense of scale that Apocalypse Now has?

What exactly do you mean by this?

Lord of the Rings

Kingdom of heaven? The full version of course.

To me Apocalypse Now just has the feeling of being huge, on a grand scale. I don't really know how to describe it.

Once Upon A Time In America
The Godfather Part II
Taxi Driver
Barry Lyndon
Lawrence Of Arabia

Nice, though Platoon is weaker than other 'Nam movies
Most epic films do. Lawrence Of Arabia is the best of them, but Ben Hur is also fantastic. Also, Leone's westerns share that feeling.

Waterloo
Thin Red Line
The Duelist
Ran
There Will Be Blood

I think he means the production design.
cgi shit does not apply. rewatch the beach scenes in the first 1/3 of apoc now and realize how fucking insane that must have been to coordinate. that's all real military equipment and not made in some jobber's computer

1. The Thin Red Line
2. La Haine
3. Buffalo 66
4. Lost Highway
5. No Country for Old Men

What's my patrician rating?

M
Raising Arizona
First Blood
Zabriskie Point
The Bad Sleep Well

1. A time to love and a time to die.
2. Lucky Star.
3. Love me tonight.
4. Remember the night
5. Some came running
Not very patrician but no bad taste either.

1. Rewrite
2. Rewrite
3. Rewrite
4. Rewrite
5. Rewrite

COME AND SEE
TREE OF LIFE
MOONRISE KINGDOM
NEON DEMON
MIRROR

I thought he meant he's looking for a more of an "adventure" kind of movie.

>follows a character or a group of characters
>they go through serious shit throughout the movie
>by the end of it they've made their way across a large distance
>these types of movies might feel longer than they actually are
>really get you immersed

So my picks besides the ones already mentioned would be something like

>stalingrad
>stalker
>the good the bad and the ugly
>gladiator maybe
>probably something else I'm missing and can't remember

1. Au Hasard, Balthazar
2. Il vangelo secondo Matteo
3. Gertrud
4. La maman et la putain
5. Agatha et les lectures illimitées

>Knight of Cups
>Inland Empire
>Inherent Vice
>Voices Through Time
It's too hard to pick a fifth, especially trying to stay one per director
+Valhalla Rising
You definitely aren't a pleb. Just keep watching movies
>Zabriskie Point
How does this compare to Antonioni's others?
Fun picks

0 ( zero )

>Au Hasard, Balthazar
good pick, Bresson was a master. He had the patience most of contemperary directors wouldn't have with this film

really hard to narrow it down to just five titles really...

Fallen angels
Sweet smell of sucess
Sullivan's travels
Pickpocket
Stray dog

aw ty babe. i loved koc too

- Martyrs
- The Neon Demon
- Whatever
- Beyond the black rainbow
- Transcendance

>Transcendance

how come user?

>Transcendance
It's sort of kino
I'm a phd student in artificial intelligence and I liked the scientific aspect too but I could have chosen Life or Altered States instead

yeah. His films define what cinema really is, the essence of it, while other filmmakers picked up some things from other mediums of arts, like Tarkovsky with poetry and Bergman with theater, Bresson only stuck with cinema, his films are like 100% cinema.

>buffalo '66
>moonlight
>the master
>eraserhead
>the mirror

>How does this compare to Antonioni's others?
I felt as though he crawled down out of his own ass to make it. it's bleaker than his earlier flicks, but the criticism hits a lot softer (which is more effective imo) when he doesn't take his subject as seriously, as is the case in ZP. he'd totally written off the flower power movement as nothing more than laughable.

weird to have moonlight in there, it was pretty good but didnt stand out all time

Network has been on my list for the longest. Sell me on it

Love The Master, guess I should check out moonlight
Its Lumet

I'll take that as a compliment coming from Sup Forums.

I tend to value emotional resonance more than craftsmanship at this point. I'm usually so withdrawn from movies due to cliches or paying attention to filmmaking that stories usually don't mean much.

But when I really get immersed Its pretty GOAT. Anyone else here feel the same?

Interesting, I'll definitely check it out. His "alienation" trilogy didn't do much for mw, but I haven't seen Blow Up or ZP or others

>Fallen Angels
>Stray Dog

Kino my friend, Kino indeed

Children of Men
Oldboy
The Thing
Primer
The Darjeeling Limited

>The Neon Demon
Dropped it five minutes in. Awful dialogue. NWR is one hell of a skeez. (Drive was decent, but any scene without either Gosling or synthwave was a drag to get through)

I mean yeah I'm pretty much the same. If a movie makes me feel then thats really all that matters. They kind of go hand in hand though, if the craftsmanship isn't there, then it pulls me out and I don't get as much out of it. I'm very open to experimenting and unconventionality though , so there is no set standard as far as quality, its just "does the style succeed at making me feel a certain way"

anything on your list directed by a zipper head is automatic reddit grading

Several of the most memorable monologues in cinema, amazing cinematography, outstanding performances from everybody, even the supporting cast, and it's the best critique of television industry ever made.

eh it's ok you didnt get it

Eraserhead
The Thing
Godfather Part II
The Wicker Man
Rear Window

sold

you all might want to try the website "reddit.com". i think youll feel more at home there

1. Մեր դարը (Peleshian, 1983)
2. Obrazy Starého Sveta (Hanák, 1972)
3. Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (Schrader, 1985)
4. American Dreams (Lost And Found) (Benning, 1984)
5. گاو (Mehrjui, 1969)

Do I have shit taste?

Lawrence of Arabia
Paris, Texas
Double Life of Veronique
The Iron Giant
Repo Man

(OP) (You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
all me

No
This isn't even good bait. Mishima and Benning are not that obscure

Yeah kinda, Weronika a cute though!
>Pickpocket
The Bresson one or the chink one?

he obviously means the chink one

400 blows
Last tango in Paris
Band of outsiders
Conformist

care to explain then? even if the purpose of the dialogue is to show how vapid and base the models are, its still too blunt

-Paris, Texas
-Videodrome
-Barton Fink
-Kuroneko
-The Thing

Definitely one of the weaker Duras texts, still a great film.

The only great films here are ToL and Mirror, your taste sucks dick.

the dialogue is really not important, neither is the story. the film is about beauty as a concept not about the modelling world or how shallow models are.

Bresson one duh

Well looks like you were wrong, dumb dumb.

1) Whisper of the Heart
An animated film by Hayao Miyazaki's protégé, Yoshifumi Kondo, who unfortunately passed way too soon to make even more films. I would actually put it on par with the best works by Miyazaki (Totoro and Spirited Away for me). It's just one of the best romance stories you will encounter in any medium.

2) Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Not just one of the best horror films, but also one of the best films ever made as well. The violence in the film is extremely visceral thanks to Hooper's direction and the antagonists are remarkably fleshed out compared to most other horror movies.

3) Manhunter
This has all the elements that make up a Mann film: great use of color, ethics/morality, beautiful cinematography that captures the locale the film is shot in.

4) Mulholland Drive
If there's one film that I would pick as my desert/island movie choice, it'd me this. I could watch it so much times and get lost in its mysteries as the characters do.

5) Dunkirk
I'm a big fan of Nolan and this rose up to my favorites of his from just one watch. It's a very well-crafted film that tells a lot of its story through visuals as much as dialogue. The immersive sound design provides one of the most realistic war experiences you will have in a film.

*chink voice* TAKE ME HOOOME COUNTRY ROAAADS

why would you say such an ignorant thing?
where's your list i want to know if it's worth giving you more than one (you)

>has two great films in his list
>has shit taste
Pick one. He has different taste than you but he didn't just like those two films by accident

then dip me in popcorn butter and call me a pleb, because I think all parts of a film, especially those on the lower levels and the periphery, should be done well or effectively.

what's your favorite of hers? I've only seen Agatha and India Song, the latter was kinda inaccessible in a way so I might have to rewatch it

>Amerifats can never make movies that don't glorify war at least a little bit
that's completely understandable, the US never had a war in their soil so America's view of war is more like a foreign adventure than an internat tragedy
9/11 is the closest thing we have to war reaction and you can clearly see how that's still a big taboo for Hollywood

You are an easily impressionable pleb who falls for the cheap tricks of hacks like Refn and Anderson, you probably like ToL and Zerkalo for all the wrong reasons, now why exactly would I point you to actual great films (my top 5), when you're obviously not ready.

you're embarrassing yourself

India song is my fave but that's because I saw it in 35mm with almost no one in the theater, I really like the companion film, Son Nom de Venise..., Vera Baxter, L'homme atlantique, Detruire dit elle are great as well, the only one I didn't quite like was Le Camion.
Why did you think India song was inaccesible? It's pretty similar to last year at marienbad.

Hard to say what my true top 5 are so I threw an eclectic mix together to keep things interesting I guess.

5. Magnum Force
Best storyline and action in the Dirty Harry series with Clint on top form.
4. [REC]
One of the best horror films of recent years, and probably the best take on found footage ever made.
3. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Coens' best IMO, have seen it so many times and it just never gets old. The chemistry between the three leads is incredible and "Man of Constant Sorrow" is just wonderful.
2. King Kong
The GOAT of giant monster movies and like O Brother I can just watch it over and over again.
1. Big Trouble in Little China
Flawless.

>the US never had a war in their soil
europoor education

Refn's movies are pretty shallow thematically, they're best viewed as music videos
this is not a complaint about Refn stuff, in fact I appreciate someone who's so concerned about visuals and light when most other directors work on the stale and overused shades of gray and blue

im sure im forgetting some really amazing movies but these are the first few that jumped into my head

blue velvet
the road warrior
starship troopers
full metal jacket
brazil

>Hell or High Water
>Restrepo
>No Country for Old Men
>84C MOPIC
>A History of Violence.

>implying I'm European
you're welcome to prove me wrong, unless you are actually counting internal conflicts which are completely parallel to the point I was making

>americlap education
what is war of 1812

There will be blood
Raiders of the lost ark
Shawshank redemption
Let the right one in
Run Lola run

King of Comedy
Midnight Run
Wages of Fear
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Sword of Doom (I don't think I've seen a movie go from "okay" to amazing this fast)

>colonization wars
I specifically said no internal conflicts, try again user

come and see was such a shitshow
like it was made by soviet propagandists to keep the increasingly unsatisfied population in check.

>Nostalghia
>Sans Soleil
>Parsifal
>Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
>Nostos: The Return

>King of Comedy
good post

>someone out there unironically likes shawshank

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
Only God Forgives
All About Lily Chou-Chou
Barry Lyndon
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

what you said was actually that "the US never had a war [sic] in [sic] their [sic] soil" while the war of 1812 was indisputably fought on US soil. there's no reason why a "colonization war" (which the war of 1812 wasn't) should count as internal, and there's no reason why an internal conflict should be less traumatic, which was the point you were making less than half an hour ago

>I was just pretending to be retarded

#rekt

Favorites, in order

1. The Departed
2. The Good The Bad And The Ugly
3. Apocalypse Now
4. Chinatown
5. The Dark Knight

>im obese, dont shave my neck and spend a lot of time on the internet
>i also only watch obscure movies that "FUCKIN STUPID NORMIES DUMB CHAD TOOK MY GIRL ILL NEVER FORGET IT" dont watch
>this means i have taste