Webcomic Mental Breakdown Thread

They're a fragile bunch.

Other urls found in this thread:

killscreen.com/articles/how-disappear-completely-internet/
youtube.com/watch?v=aOLzS2MmkzQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Does it really count when Dan's whole brand is "having a breakdown"?

I mean it's not like he interrupted his work to have a public breakdown like some authors, it's just the background radiation of his life.

Andrew Dobson has a breakdown every other week.
Recently he got mad because plebcomics improved some art he did.

Here's his original art.

And here's plebcomics' improved version.
There were a bunch of artpieces that plebcomics redid, but this one seemed the most improved, since she doesn't look like he-man anymore.

I understand Undyne is not supposed to be conventionally attractive but something is wrong with that head shape.

All the other changes plebcomics did are personal preference imo but the original head shape is fucked up

I'm not sure what would be the perfect image for Tatsuya Ishida.

killscreen.com/articles/how-disappear-completely-internet/
TL;DR John Campbell did a kickstarter to make a book version of his webcomic, goes mental, starts burning the books he promised to send to people and takes down the original webcomic.

I don't understand what could cause someone to lose their composure to this degree. If the stress of a project starts to grow to serious levels, then just end the project BEFORE you have a meltdown.

Well, i;m pretty sure he only began to lose it after the project was funded, so by then it was more difficult to end it and give everyone back their money.

I think he went legit, mental illness crazy.

Like, he was complaining how his worth as a creator shouldn't be measured in money so anyone who was a decent human being and loved him for who he was should be happy about sending him money and having the thing they were supposed to get burned.

>John Campbell started referring to herself as "she"

Of course. Goddamn, why do so many mentally ill people switch genders at the drop of a hat?

IanJQ with RPG World. I wouldn't really say he had a brekadown, but fans caused him to change his attitude on the unfinished comic really quick.

People complaining at him caused him to go from "Maybe if some other creator wants to finish this I'll send them my notes" to "JESUS CHRIST JUST FORGET ABOUT THIS STUPID COMIC ALREADY"

It breaks my heart. That comic was something really special. And it was ALMOST OVER. The fucking climax.

Well they're generally all oversensitive tumblr-folk, right?

It was a false climax though. They weren't on the final disc and were missing like 2 of the macguffins

It sickens me to see Cherry drawn like a Steven Universe character. I miss his charming pseudo-retro-anime style.

Dan Kim is a legitimately fantastic artist who's main problem is output. (outside of his crippling social anxiety)
Honestly dude should just team up with someone.

He's only interested in his own ideas, he wouldn't work well on a team. He just needs to be less of a perfectionist

>JelloApocalypse did a video about webcomics
>last minute is complaining about RPG World being unfinished
youtube.com/watch?v=aOLzS2MmkzQ

dude has so many unfinished comics that it's insane; most of which are just branches of the main one.
He has too many ideas if you ask me.

I guess if life sucks as the gender you were born you might as well try another one. What have you got to lose?

I love pictures for sad children but Campbell is human garbage. That post where he insisted he should be given money just for existing without any expectation of work to be done really chapped my ass.

>What have you got to lose?

Well... yes, of course your dick. That goes without saying.

Well, she didn't ragequit the internet, but Gigi D.G. certainly isn't as funny as she used to be.

I love her current artstyle though.

parodying something you love is easier than creating new content

>The Persona 4 comic will never be finished

Off topic, but I notice that a lot of web comics posts a single page every few weeks and calls it a chapter or update.
Are there any web comics that posts multiple pages as for a single chapter?

Homestuck

Dan always hit me harder than the others, because the pain he put in his comics wasn't the usual overblown "ahah, depression, isn't this whacky? This is totally a call for help!" that faux-depressed artists usually do.

He just made actual jokes.
He told us about his life.
He made actual blog posts about it in which he wasn't being pitying at all, he just commented on things as he saw them. And that was the worst part.

When he describes that party with the orange dress woman, he's just...I don't even know. It doesn't even sound sad. There's no emotion at all, he's seriously more absorbed by his delusional waifu telling him he's just trying to pretend he's capable of being a person.
And he doesn't even express sadness at that.
He just goes "Yep. Crazy how life can be."

The most heartbreaking thing is how you know he's not going to kill himself. He's kind of trapped in his own hell, he doesn't even have enough active emotion left to end it all.

anything else?

His main problem is probably that he hates himself more than anything.
All those unfinished comics were probably completely plotted already, but he must've looked at them and though "fuck this is so dumb, everyone thinks it's dumb, why would I bother finishing it" or something akin to that.

I want to go back.

I'll find him someday in the Canadian wilderness, and end his life myself.
It's the least I can do for him.

>You're here forever
It's a fucking curse, and Dan is the poster boy.

>I notice that a lot of web comics posts a single page every few weeks and calls it a chapter or update.
>Are there any web comics that posts multiple pages as for a single chapter?
Okay, what are you asking?
A list of web comics where the author only posts completed chapters per update?
Or are you asking for web comics that update on a regular schedule?

I'm actually more interested in seeing which lot of web comics "posts a single page every few weeks and calls it a chapter", because I can't think of any web comic I've read in the last 20 years where that's the case...

I guess I'm asking for web comics that post chapters composed of 8 to 20 pages. I'm being rather convoluted.

Closest thing I can think of offhand is when Sabrina Online was still around, it updated once a month every month and posted 4-5 strips at once.

I can't say I don't know that feel

I guess it's just a product of age, but Kim used to put out comics pretty regularly without the mental breakdowns.
Granted, a lot of them were just the comic equivalent of edgy kid shitposting, but the point is that he used to have a good output sans the drama.

What's the orange dress story?

Menage A 3
Moon Over June
You Suck
Least I Could Do

enjoy.

terrible but fappable, terrible and hideously not fappable, mediocre all around, terrible; You are a monster, user

>He's kind of trapped in his own hell, he doesn't even have enough active emotion left to end it all.

That's what you say and mostly you're right, but every now and then your emotions stop being numb for a second and all come flooding back and you feel terrible

It's a comic where an old friend of his, a woman he used to have a thing for, met him after a long absence and invited him to a party. While at the party he tries and fails to not be the "the music is too loud, my feet hurt" guy, and he imagines the main character of the comic that he's working on coming into the party to taunt him. IIRC she laughs at him for pretending to be a functioning human being and tells him to hurry up and finish her comic already since it's the last thing he needs to do before finally killing himself.

What's worse is that this summary is just as depressing as it sounds.

>he imagines the main character of the comic that he's working on
Which comic? The one featuring his waifu-for-laifu Sakura la Card Captor or the one featuring his daughterfu, Cupcake-tan, the child of Dan and Sakura?

Not conventionally attractive, no. But unconventionally attractive, yes. At least, in most art I've seen.

The head in Dobson's piece is obviously too big. I suppose it owes to his cartoon roots, but you can see that the improved version really shrunk the head. In fact, most of the improvement is total re-do of the head. There are still rudimentary errors in their work, but the total picture looks less unsettling.

I've got a theory about that. I'm from a pro-LGBT European country. We were the first to legalize gay marriage, in fact, and would have done so sooner if the Christians hadn't retained an unreasonable amount of political influence for years.

We don't have this. The crazy tranny stereotype is one I know wholly from the US. Part of that is explained through culture. Traditionally, we have had a sober culture that de-emphasises attention-grabbing behavioiur. Being an attention whore is really frowned upon, here. Something like Hillary having all these celebrities at her rallies does not happen, here. And doing it would only lose you votes. This seems to be different in American culture, which is very "loud" compared to us. Ostentatious. American culture places much more significance on standing out as an individual.

So becoming a loud tranny is a very good way to stand out. Of course, even if you wanted to do that here, you couldn't. Because we are so LGBT-friendly (which we can be, in part, because of said culture) we have a medically sound diagnostic process which takes things like mental illness into account. Attention whores simply do not pass the process, and most probably don't even enter, because things suddenly become a lot more serious when you're having tons of doctor appointments, and people start to really look at your case. They might fool themselves, but they won't fool a skilled doctor.

And because we are LGBT-friendly, the LGBT community itself is much less interested in sheer representation. The number of trannies in society is more or less fixed at

Maybe things have changed in the last decade or so and I was unaware, but the process for sex change surgery in the US is supposed to involve lots of psych evals to screen out people who are just crazy. But the "supposed to" as opposed to "effectively" is I guess the operative term here. Part of that is crazy people passing around over the internet what the psych evals want to hear, and part would probably be our having a dysfunctional and profit-centered medical industry.

I haven't followed Kim in a long time, but I think it's a new, original character. Like it's some comic that Kim was still putting together and keeping it close to his chest. Like he both wanted it to be of serious quality and wanted it to be more of a major venture instead of just another webcomic.