It's been eight years and I'm still wondering why they nerfed him

It's been eight years and I'm still wondering why they nerfed him.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WIj7gIDFDe4&t=239s
youtube.com/watch?v=nevWCrGnlMM
starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Seriously, he went from this
youtube.com/watch?v=WIj7gIDFDe4&t=239s

to this
youtube.com/watch?v=nevWCrGnlMM

George Lucas is the Akira Toriyama of movies, without quality assurance they fall apart

Sadly, this is true.

Literally one of the coolest things to come out of the prequels and he gets shitted on like this.

cough

Can't have those pesky normies taking the spotlight that rightfully belongs to force users when it comes to combat.

CGI The Clone Wars > Your Clone Wars
The prior is canon whilst the latter isn't.

He was a force of nature in the old show, It's just appropiate to nerf a character like that if you're going to make him a recurring villain in a longer show since you will balance it out with character development.

I haven't watched the CGI cartoon but I'm assuming he got that character development and depth, otherwise it would have been a complete waste of a good terror plot device.

If you do watch the far better CGI cartoon, be sure to look up guides for the complete chronological order. It's meant to not be watched in production order I can tell you that. He's far better in THE CLONE WARS compared to Episode III.

He was buffed too much by Genndy. He was never truly meant to be so fucking cool

>Yeah, just ignore most of the first three seasons!
Genndy Wars was short, well paced, and well animated and choreographed. It doesn't have to be a competition.

>It's meant to not be watched in production order I can tell you that.

The fuck.

How? Is that by accident? Because I can't possibly think of why a TV show made in seasons wouldn't be made to be watched in order of release.

Without Genndy, they could never get greivous right again.

Because of the stories. I never watched THE CLONE WARS but everyone told me when I did download it from Usenet in 1080p Blu-ray rips, to watch it in intended order and not how it's presented via the Season sets. DESU and IMO it's far superior to the PT and what it should've been. ESPECIALLY the Second Battle of Geonosis. Very highly recommended and it's incredibly awesome.
There are guides online for the proper chronological order and which Season along with episode it falls in.

and then padmae fucks it up and lets an entire war continue because
>muh feelz 4 ani

except his back story matches seamlessly with OP fighting enhanced with cyborg strength

why was the original clone wars cartoon so based?

GENNDY TARTAKOVSKY

Plague, when are you gonna gripe on One Piece? Or at least finish the Human Campaign in Starsiege.

Mace Windu fucked his shit

Original is just Clone Wars, CGI one is The Clone Wars.
Because they were only 5~10 minute segments. Not considered canon in current canon and it's Legends.
This too.

Here's the proper story order guide for THE CLONE WARS. Helpful since I never watched it before at all when it aired and watched it using this guide. Took a bit renaming every single episode but it was worth it.
starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder

>being this obviously young
The nerf happened back during when Episode III was in production well before the cgi series.

I remember reading a news story during Ep III production that basically said they had to tone him down because there was no way to properly show him dueling another character with his capoeira style with the cgi limitations they had at the time so they went with him having the four arms. They might have been able to pull him off now. Really a shame they changed him from being all silver/white too. It was way more impressive and intimidating. Watching this as a teen and then seeing what was changed in Episode 3 (and KotOR) was the first time when I realized there were plenty of other people who could do Star Wars concepts better than George Lucas.

That nerf was in continuity with Windu crushing his lungs though.

As I said I haven't watched the CGI show, barely some episodes of the first season, and it looked pretty clear to me that it was placed before Episode III, making nerfed coughing Grievous, with Anaking having the time to have a padawan of his own and all that.

Then again if I don't remember wrong, in Episode III Padme went from being barely pregnant to giving birth, so maybe the whole CGI show happens in between that time?

Making nerfed coughing Grievous his base form*

The original intention before Disney scrapped the CGI show was to literally have it taking place right up until a split second before the start of Episode III. In the future seasons if they stopped going back and forth through the timeline with the episodes.

I was explaining the actual reason why not the in-continuity version. Also if you actually went back towatch the original show you'd know that Grievous not doing capoeira happened as a result of a training session with Dooku. He started using his 4 arms after that in courascant.

>it looked pretty clear to me that it was placed before Episode III, making nerfed coughing Grievous, with Anaking having the time to have a padawan of his own and all that

Nigga you should actually watch this shit before posting. Anyone here will tell you that cgi Clone Wars takes place in-between Episode II and III. Seriously, look it up.

The CGI show takes place between Attack of The Clones and Revenge of The Sith.
You can fit the 2D show around the 3D in somewhat of a canonical way; if you watch Genndy Wars until Anakin is knighted, then The Clone Wars, then come back to Genndy Wars it ends just before the beginning of Sith.

Of course, it doesn't match up perfectly - for example, Grievous' caughing.

Long ago in a distant galaxy, I, Dooku, the secessionist Sith master of darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil. But a foolish Jedi warrior wielding a purple sword stepped forth to oppose me.

Lucas had an idea of what he wanted Grievous to be. Grendy and those who wrote the comics pre-RotS did something else.

But Clone Wars is Legends, The Clone Wars is current canon. It's the grouping.

Honestly that Gungun fight...isn't as bad as it could be. Grievous is obviously over confident because it's fucking Gungans and he only lost because one Kamikaze'd on him, which isn't a common tactic.

What was the purpose of a giant ship that smashed the ground?

Destruction

That's retroactive to both cgi and non-cgi clone wars though. That decision was made after both were done with production.

The Arc with Grievious hideout was great. IMO of course.
To me Clone Wars is just the foundation for The Clone Wars. Especially the latter in proper story order. Easier to watch the former as it's shorter running time.
But I'm an old time Star Wars fan being a kid in the 1980's with all the promises of Sequel Trilogies and George changing his mind a lot. Was an adult when Episode I was released so YMMV.

The villainous organizations of star wars only have one long term strategy and that is research and deploy the most bitching superweapons as possible regardless of practicality, cost, or basic reason

They really are Space Nazis after all.

honestly, it's pretty useful if your troops aren't on the ground.
>Cave in underground enemy bases
>knock over most cover
>stuns enemies

That's what made him a badass, though.

Also the fact that Anakin doesn't officially go through the Trials in Genndy Wars until a week or so before the Battle of Coruscant by going through that cave in the Techno Union base on Novan, whereas I presume he went though the Trials like any other Jedi in the current cannon. This would be why he was able to take on Asoka as a padawan.

Lucasfilm told Gendy to introduce a character called General Grevious, and then handed him a couple pictures of what he looked like. As long as there was a character called General Grevious who had looked like this, had four arms and four lightsabers, they could give less of a fuck because George was gonna do his own thing with the character.

As I recall, in Season 2 of Genndy Wars Anakin gets made a Knight without actually going through the Trials. Obi-Wan argues in favor of this by saying that his fight with Ventress in Season 1 constituted a sufficient test, and he passed it by beating her.

Oppo Rancisis, the weird bearded snake Jedi who sits on the Council, voiced an objection to this by saying that there was something called "The Mirror" which Anakin hadn't faced, and that he felt he needed to face before he was satisfied that Anakin was a proper Jedi. Yoda overruled him, though, and Anakin was knighted.

>As long as there was a character called General Grevious who had looked like this, had four arms and four lightsabers, they could give less of a fuck because George was gonna do his own thing with the character.

The four arms thing was decided on later when the cgi couldn't pull off Grievous using his hands and feet at the same time.

supposedly the clone wars team got the design for grievous and decided that a 4-armed vader-prototype armed with the sabres of fallen jedi was a serious threat an a total hard ass in combat, and was shown to be silent (although people in the clone wars didnt really talk a lot), imposing, and efficiently deadly
but then lucas revealed that he wanted grievous to be a mustache twirling jedi wannabe, who while still capable in combat, relies heavily on dirty fighting, and is no where near as deadly or menacing as the one depicted in the show, and subsequently was a lot more talkative and yet not as plainly lethal in the movie itself, making him come across as more full of hot air, which was apparently george lucas's design

>and he gets shitted on like this.

TCW consistently shows the Gungans to be skilled fighters who are actually probably the best anti-droid force around because of their "boomers". JarJar is a joke, his people aren't.

>He's far better in THE CLONE WARS compared to Episode III.

That's because Lucas just shat the bed on the Prequels and forgot that villains aren't supposed to be comic relief.

Yes.

>JarJar is a joke
no hes a fucking plague upon all those near him, a walking disaster.

he started the clone wars pretty much when he supported sheev for chancellor

That was I think a purposeful retcon to make him as despised in canon as he was in the fandom.

I'd love to rewrite this monologue as to how genndy and the other EU stuff was thrown out (cast through a portal) but I'm too lazy and not clever enough