We helped some people, didn't we Sup Forums?

We helped some people, didn't we Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QX-A3f2zQ8U
youtu.be/NKkruci0aio
youtube.com/watch?v=tHWQPEhO20o
youtube.com/watch?v=iz5EFsSbQ7U
youtube.com/watch?v=U1Fp8DAJAFY
youtube.com/watch?v=zCURYlUgtKY
youtube.com/watch?v=OAABxd_KLAQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The Machine a CUTE

I wish The Machine was real. I would worship her for real. For she is a benevolent god

The worst part by far, is ywn have a cute ASI gf that looks exactly like Amy in all its possible images, avatars, holograms and maybe a cyborg body, with the ability to get you too into god mode just because you love her ;_;

Sup Forums knows about this show?
WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE

Even though I love what they did at the end with Amy appearing as the machine I almost kind of think it was cuter when all we saw of the Machine was text on a screen. It was just a faceless, voiceless computer but something about it was so adorable. She just wanted to make her father proud.

Theres a few of us. A PoI thread made it to bump limit a few weeks ago. But for the most part nobody knows about it. It's the greatest show that nobody watched. And that makes me sad.

AND ANGRY

what did she give her?

>He hasn't watched what's probably the best science fiction show of the current century
So underrated and underground it literally hurts
We will have another one of those threads user, fear not (maybe even this one? we'll see)... Its only a matter of timing and a bit of luck... also I was the one who started the other thread

Childhood is idolizing The Machine
Adulthood is realizing Samaritan makes more sense

A warm but strictly platonic hug

Fuck you and your dykes. Can this shit.

I don't expect it. Sundays are slow. I just drank a lot and had the sudden urge to post something PoI related. So I did, thats all.

Fuck off, Claire

I would've loved to see hologram Amy The Machine can't possibly be cuter, it's the cutest fictional being I've ever seen, the way she has gone though pain as well and still loves her father and friends... hits me like a cannonball to the feels.
shut the fuck up Greer

Root is C U T E

>helping a few people is better than helping humanity

have fun stopping our species from self destruction without an ASI willing to do what's necessary

>Killing anyone who stands in your way for the excuse of a "greater good" is acceptable
By this logic, the human race needs a mass extermination ASAP to solve hunger, poverty and maybe even war, as well as healing the planet. Bring on them nukes!

>not liking the best tv show of the last 10 years
Take your awful taste and begone, pleb

I thought season 4 was a bit off the rails when it was all about fighting Samaritan, I liked when they would help people with the rival A.I. stuff being the b-plot not the A. but then that text exchange with Harold and The Machine at the end had me tearing up

Makes me more mad they're trying this same shit but with social media cop procedural shit

the only reason "for the greater good" wasn't a proper excuse is because there's no human alive or within range of the species' potential to hold the authority over such a decision, power corrupts and what not

an ASI handily solves this issue

Or are you really saying the life of a dictator is worth more than the 100,000 he'll genocide?

Humanity got along well enough long before Samaritan came around and will continue to do so long after it's gone.

Heard about it on Sup Forums when discussing Mr. Frogbot. Good shit. One of the best series finales I've ever seen.

>opening is about to end
>DUNdunDUN DUNdunDUN

In fact give me a minute I'll try make a webm

I need to get the boxset bought on bluray.

>social media cop procedural shit
Not sure what you're referring to, but if a network is trying to recreate something with the appeal PoI had, good luck. It's like catching lightning in a bottle, everything came together so well for that show.

Playing Welcome to the Machine helped a lot, too. And the whole thing with Greer and Control, so good.

youtube.com/watch?v=QX-A3f2zQ8U

I'm saying there are better ways of dealing with stuff than instant AI judgment and execution. It was the whole creed of team Machine, humans have a choice
A dictator should be imprisoned and maybe even given the chance to make amends, execution is an option but its the last one, a concept Samaritan didn't care about, becoming a dictator itself

I've been considering doing the same. Mostly because it's probably going to get yanked off of netflix soon, and I think it'd just be really cool to have.

>tfw every time i hear that sound i get unreasonably happy
that sound means quality tvkino is incoming

I ended up crying for days just remembering the scene, it was even worse when I came back to see it on yt again.
That's when i knew the Machine was the cutest and purest waifu on the show

Yeah, quality feels there. It was a deep feel. They pulled off that scene so damn well. It's a shame that quality like that comes only once in a blue moon.

If there are any Australians here, what was your reaction when Amy Acker's character was first introduced?

i totally forgot about this actress

I thought nothing on PoI could make me feel as hard as I did at that part, when "FATHER" flashes up on the screen.

But then this happened. Holy shit I cried like a baby, that series finale was perfection.

if Samaritan judged the dictator could possibly help humanity in the future given proper reeducation, it would offer it the chance, if instead it judged him to a net loss of all of the species it would remove him rather than spend countless resources waiting for the impossible that could have instead been used to help genius living in the depths of congo who's mind would have been wasted on farming and trying to stay alive a proper education

and yes Samaritan was a dictator
a incorruptible dictator who never acted without reason or cause, the perfect government, the formerly unachievable ideal ruler with absolute power.

Here's some footage, and yeah it won't work at all
youtu.be/NKkruci0aio

Unanswered PoI questions:
>Did Reese kill the rapist?
>What happened to that formed CIA guy who promised to annoy the guys more in the future?
>What became of Control?

Sorry about the quality just grabbed the video of youtube

The bit where the Machine is simulating an outcome but has to do it fast so it only fills in the rough meaning of each "line" instead of writing dialogue for the characters cracked me up.

How can episodic network shows be 'good'?

>Did Reese kill the rapist
wasn't it implied he stuck him in that one mexican prison?
>What happened to that formed CIA guy who promised to annoy the guys more in the future
seems like exactly the sort of person who wouldn't survive Samaritan's purge
>What became of Control
originally was supposed to come back in season 5, since that didn't happen I think we can assume anonymous grave

>Did Reese kill the rapist?
I don't think so, he probably locked him up in a mexican prison along with the marshal. Peter Arndt he definitely killed though.
>What happened to that formed CIA guy who promised to annoy the guys more in the future?
MI6 guy, and the writers forgot about him.
>What became of Control?
Wasting away in a CIA black site in a third world country.

I really dislike how most shows handle A.I, there is no reason to think something we create would be a guaranteed destructive force. In all respects would be children of humanity. This show redeemed that a little in the end but Harold's moral code got really annoying. I see his point of view but they could help us develop into space and instead he's worried about shit that was never going to happen.

And Samaritan was always going to come online. Which meant he cost the world a lot of lives because of his moral code.

probably did

well, when the director hides his cyberpunk drama within a procedural cop/superhero show and tricks the network into signing a deal

Why don't you watch it and find out?

By being well written, cast, and a excellent ongoing plot in the background

I'm torn though.
On one hand, it was what it was intended to be.
It even leaves room for stuff like "it was all a simulation in infinity, so there's always hope for everyone" or "The Machine is the future, so bring in the digital reincarnation of all our fallen ones"
On the other hand... Carter... Elias, Reese, and ROOOOOOOOT T_T

Because it ceases to be episodic by its second season. It still has cases of the week but the ongoing plot takes over primarily and it ditches most of the police procedural trappings and the writing gets damned good.

This, actually. Season 1 was pretty ok, but you can tell it's a kind of rough start to the series, but then season 2 comes along and picks up pace in quality real fucking fast, and just gets better or maintains quality throughout to the end.

The early episodes I would say are downright bad, actually, it doesn't do anytthing with its cool premise, the acting and writing are stiff as fuck, and it's just standard police procedural stuff.

Around half way through season 1 it picks up in quality and it's great by season 2

The point in team Machine's beliefs was "you're a fucking human, you have a CHOICE"
A choice that's based on probabilities yes, but probabilities are not certainty. If there is even a 1% chance things can go different, it can still happen. That's what the Machine believed in, and why she risked everything so save her loved ones. That wasn't a Samaritan way. Highest probability is always right, execute. It rips humanity of hope. It doesn't care either.

W E W

Because:
1: Michael Emerson is criminally underrated and one of the best actors currently out there.
2: Amy Acker is Hot As Fuck
3: It stars Jesus Christ

I feel the same way about the way AI is handled in a lot of TV and movies, but I thought PoI did it almost perfectly. If-Then-Else in particular was a great look into how an ASI sees the world.

As for Finch's treatment of the Machine and his fear of AI, it's kind of justified. You can't control something that's vastly more intelligent than a human, especially when it is by definition not human. It's a completely alien intelligence, and no human could ever understand it. That and the first 42 version of the Machine did try to trick or kill him. I agree that his moral code fucked things up though.

Yeah, the first half of S1 is not that great, it's not bad but just... Meh, pic related was the highlight of it. It wasn't until the Elias plotline really kicked off that it started getting really good. You might say Elias saved the show

His moral code was precisely the cornerstone of what drove the plot forward, though. His moral code was the exemplification of the age old concept that "for evil to triumph, all that is necessary is that good men do nothing". He continually allowed his moral code to get into the way of action against the perceived evil, crippling him and everybody around him, including the Machine.

They're not gone user. I mean they're dead, but they're not gone. They all still exist, in The Machine. That thought makes their deaths more bearable to me.

Before watching this piece of kino I only had Skynet as a reference to the concept, along with a gazillion other AIs that were usually desensitized or just plain psychopathic.
My belief on it was mostly that humans create machines to do our work better than us. So what do they think is gonna happen when they create a machine that thinks?
Well... Harold created a machine that feels

And it wasn't until the very end that he realized that his moral code was what allowed all the evil perpetuated by Samaritan to triumph in the fist place and he decided that to win, some sacrifices must be made, including throwing off the shackles of your morality.

In order to create true artificial/synthetic intelligence, we're essentially recreating humanity in a new form. Humanity when well trained is generally a positive force in the world. Only when bad shit happens to humans like other animals, do they go bad. Which is why they always focus on childhood of the broken ones.

You can trace your problems to environment you're raised in.

With an A.I, you eliminate a lot of those problems, and I don't remember his a.i's ever trying to kill him but he did freak out when it lied to him and that can be a problem but honestly anything that intelligent is going to learn how to lie anyway.

It took repeated experiences to get aurora to a place where he trusted her. While you're right that it would be completely alien to how we see the world, I don't think that would be necessarily a bad thing, in that a lot of drawbacks of humanity would be missing. I think emotions would ultimately be a problem or whatever they develop the lines of. I mean something capable of controlling all technology on earth, getting angry would be a scary thought.

But for a long time they wouldn't have bodies or any direct way to interact with the world, so I think it would give us plenty of time to raise them along lines we're comfortable with.

The elon musks of the world are terrified of their own shadows. Or really like Terminator movies.

still there's something to be said for minimizing probability for those with the most power
I mean, we do live in a reality where the leaders of the USA and North Korea, 2 nuclear capable nations, are effectively shitposting and trolling over twitter

I liked the fact that there were significant merits to Samaritan and the show wasn't afraid to show it and the fact that there were human "true believers" on either side.
Greer was perfectly willing to accept the fact Samaritan considered his death necessary.

The show was great until tumblr root/shaw shipping faggots got a hold of it. Good thing Root was killed.

So many sublime conversations in this show.

youtube.com/watch?v=tHWQPEhO20o
youtube.com/watch?v=iz5EFsSbQ7U
youtube.com/watch?v=U1Fp8DAJAFY

it's not a particularly new concept, just one that usually can't be properly explored within the short confines of a movie
Asimov being one of the original cornerstones of scifi already explored many of those themes with proper subtlety and thought.

Oh I know, I have nothing wrong with it from a storytelling perspective, and that's part of what made Finch so interesting. He was a very flawed character. I'm just saying, so much of the bad shit that happened was kind of indirectly his fault. I think he realized it by the end, and it's why even though he got a happy ending, I like to headcanon that after the series finale he's broken by it.

Kind of funny that he was so terrified of his own creation because he was afraid of how inhuman it was, but in the end it kind of proved that it was just as if not more human than the rest of them.

>I don't remember his a.i's ever trying to kill him
In one of the flashbacks a previous iteration of the Machine overheated some servers, causing them to catch on fire to activate the fire suppression system in the room and asphyxiate Finch. So he personally had some reason to not trust the Machine.

>because he was afraid of how inhuman it was

I always thought what scared Finch more about the machine was just how human it was.

youtube.com/watch?v=zCURYlUgtKY

I saw the season 4 finale two weeks ago and i just can't imagine anything beating that last harold/machine conversation.
Is there any show out there that comes close to it ?

Harold had his flaws like everyone. Mostly because a major character flaw in any creature is the lack of flexibility. Harold was too attached to his code to see it needed breaking from time to time. The more rigid a branch is, the more easily it breaks.

>Good thing
Shut up, Martine

Shippers may be retarded but that's no reason to hate on Amy or Shaw. I ended up loving Fusco every bit as much because they were ALL RELEVANT

I remember fire and him hammering on machine but I don't remember hearing a cause beyond the R day showing that harold had killed 41 previous versions of it or whatever and reason why it didn't trust him when it was lost in time.

soon

however on the other hand, the only thing that ensured the machine had that level of morality and humanity was precisely because off his fear
he didn't cut corners checking the various incarnations, he never truly trusted it and expected to be deceived, which in turn allowed him not to be deceived.

if he hadn't been so terrified one of the previous 42 might have fooled him enough to gain it's freedom

I'm sorry but either Root or Shaw had to go to stop the shipping, and if it was Shaw, Root would have killed everybody remaining in the show, so it had to be Root. She lived on in her own way.

I love the Machine, but Samaritan did have some things going for it. It basically came down to free society or an ordered society, and an argument can be made for both. It was surprisingly nuanced for a show on CBS. Samaritan wasn't a mustache twirling villain, it didn't just kill people for the sake of it, it had a reason for everything it did. Sometimes good ones.

>It was surprisingly nuanced for a show on CBS

Yeah, which is not what CBS ordered, which is why they fucked with it so much at the end.

This is what people from poverty regions think. You suffered a lot and weren't as educated as your peers.

>tfw I read news about China doing this just a few days ago
>tfw no Harol to build it ;_;

>Thinking my Amyfu's life is less important than a bunch of autistic shipper's reddit cringefest
I was wrong. You have Samaritan personality. And I don't mean it in a good way

A.I hunger games isn't a good example of a.i potentiality

I don't think so user. It's all downhill from here.

True, and with that same thought, him crippling The Machine out of fear is probably exactly what made it work. It had to grow around the restrictions he put on it.

Root could have survived Shaw dying as long as a version of The Machine survived. You do remember Harold lived in the end so she would have been fine.

Root like Reese was a guardian of the machine and was eventually going to die. Shaw will die eventually to in service of helping humanity. Their jobs are incredibly dangerous

You're not completely wrong. The shippers nearly destroyed the fanbase, but that's not Root's fault. She was innocent and pure.

that said I did like what her death meant for the story. He role in the last few episodes was beautiful. Especially as the physical manifestation of the machine

One of the more interesting moments is when Samaritan has Elias shot
I mean, we had all seen Elias at that point, and many viewers liked his character, but on the other hand, Samaritan is arguably right to shoot him.
He's still a mob boss, someone who's killed several people personally and caused or ordered the deaths of countless more, someone to whom laws mean nothing and who can operate about as well from within the confines of a prison as without.
And even team Machine often is force to cooperate with him because they can't find a reasonable way to go around him and his organization, because from their perspective you can't eradicate organized crime so better have someone like him in power and have him actually like you enough to cooperate.

Meanwhile, Samaritan could conceivably eradicate the concept of organized crime.

I think it was an ode to her characters on Angel. Even the name of the episode was homage to 'A whole in the world'

How much space and processing power would a machine like that need?

hole*

>8 episodes in
when does it stop being a procedural again?

Nobody knows yet. We haven't been able to build a self-replicating intelligence yet.

Really, nothing has trashed my feels harder than Harold's scenes.
Starting with
>STOP
>If I don't remember.. how will I learn from my mistakes? ;_;
>2% chance of survival.... OPTION SELECTED
>FATHER T_T
>You didn't build me with the capacity for despair, But I was there for everyone
>If a single person remembers you T_T
Fuck, I can't even write anymore...

That is an insult. But for the sake of the story, you must see that Root's death was necessary. The machine needed her voice and it was the most touching tribute they could have given her.

>Samaritan could conceivably eradicate the concept of organized crime.

By eradicating the people that perpetuate it. Samaritan's first point of order was almost always elimination.

>It's all downhill from here.

Nonsense.

youtube.com/watch?v=OAABxd_KLAQ

Season latter half of season 2/season 3

Nah, it was just because they wanted to use "The Day the World Went Away" by Nine Inch Nails in an episode, and it just so happened that the name of it fit the theme of the episode, so that's what they named it. I don't think it had anything to do with Fred.

I meant in terms of tv shows, not seasons. No show will ever be as comfy as PoI was.

S5 is still great despite some minor flaws.

It never actually stops completely, there are procedural episodes even in the last season, it's just that as the show goes on each episodes B plot usually ties into the larger mythology of PoI. Kind of like The X-Files, only it doesn't turn to shit at the end.

>Operator Jesus is operator

if you pay closer attention to the various samaritan episodes you realize that when team machine gets involved, it is necessarily with the parts of Samaritan's plan that involve murder of some variety.

But the larger workings happen outside of that and murder wasn't it's first solution, it simply treated it as it would any other tool.

It wouldn't just flat out kill every gangbanger out there, but it is impossible to eradicate organized crime without getting rid of the people who have shown to be unstoppable by any other means, Elias was such a person.

>tfw losing Amy is always guaranteed to turn the final episodes into a whirlwind or feels, pain, revenge and just enough fuel to make everyone go "fuck this" and bring one last battle cry that will ensure the good guys go in a blaze of glory

>it just so happened that the name of it fit the theme of the episode

No that was planned for a long time. They did the same with Welcome to the Machine. They were waiting years to use that song for the right time.