Why did slashers die?

Why did slashers die?

I'd have have slashers than possession or ghost shit desu, which is 90% of horror nowadays

the genre stagnated

What about "ghosts" that are actually people living in the walls?

They got boring again because kept trying to be like Scream.

you can only make the same movie so many times before no one gives a shit anymore

You sure about that?

Marvel is an exception, no one else can pull it off

Slasher cinematic universe when???

>Freddy vs reboot Jason
>Jason vs reboot Freddy
>Both just end with the reboots being obliterated
God why can't we go back to endless ridiculous slasher movies?

capeshit will die too. no idea survives hollywood

man, poor steve agee

>mfw that scene

cause of kapeshit

IT'S JUST A PRANK BRO

The movies were about degenerates being killed and the "pure" surviving.

Nowadays everyone is a fucking degenerate.

The degenerates of today you should kill off, faggots, trannies, niggers, muslims, would not be PC.

Oversaturation in the market and too many cliches.

People say "Durr well what about comic films", but remember that slasher flicks we're dominating the industry for almost 20 years. Comic films on the other hand have only enjoyed that level of Supremacy for about 10.

There is already a slasher where the main characters are faggots and only faggots die

That black guy is James Earl Jones's daddy.

Scream has a shitty tv series
A found footage Friday the 13th was planned but now cancelled
New Halloween in production
New Chucky movie comes out on VOD October 3rd

this game was kino.

I played recently for the first time, in one sitting, starting roughly the time the game starts, and ending around the time it ends in game.
Made the whole experience so much better doing it all in real time. You start to get tired, and start making mistakes, and that's when people start dying.

New Chucky is already out

This. Plus, slasher movies had way more saturation than comic book movies do. Capeshit relies on existing intellectual property and special effects, both of which cost money; cheap slashers could be made by even the most low-budget studios out there.

Is it worth checking out? I wasn't all that into Curse.

>DVDrip leaked
thats fucked up, I'll wait for the bluray

Is this game actually fun? It's only $20 on psn so I've thought about picking it up for October fun.

they didnt. theres still plenty of meme self aware ironic slashers being made

same reason video games crashed way back when, there were too many of them, and they were all cheap and shit, so people lost interest.

I wish, then maybe IM2 would have been good.

$20 dollars? it was free just a few weeks ago. but yes it's pure vidyakino. surprisingly entertaining.

If you are in to more of a heavy rain style game then I would say definitely check it out. But even if you aren't, or you have never played something like Heavy Rain before for $20 it's definitely a good Halloween experience

thats because normal people actually believe in ghosts, so it sells now
people eat up that ghost hunter shit
>WE JUST HEARD A NOISE ON THE TURBO SPIRIT INTERPRETER 5000
>woosh, woosh woosh, *someone claps their hands*
>DID YOU HEAR THAT?

It's a lot of fun. It starts slow, but it picks up the pace quite quickly.

It's a fun game to play with friends as well. Letting different people make decisions at different points.

My post here is how I played it. Matching your real time to the events in the game makes it much more immersive.

The market for slasher's became over saturated with shit in the 80's completely killed it until Scream happened and that turned out to be a short lived trend. Damn shame too.

The horror genre still occasionally puts out something great. See: VVitch, Starry Eyes, Raw and Get Out for recent examples.

That movie was supposed to end with Pinhead showing and saying "Gentleman, what seems to be the problem?"

Predictable formula, which is basically all of Horror, anyway.

Oversaturation of the market.

The Scream revival was fun, though.

I think the problem is they tried to break away from the formula.

They tried to do new things, and change the settings and tone of the films.

But people were watching films like F13 for the kills. The plot wasn't important, the characters weren't important, the lore wasn't important. People just wanted to see what new and creative ways Jason would use to kill some campers.
When you stray from that and try to add more story, then you fail.

Well, when studios get in the situation where, say, their successful franchise is starting to go down, they think switching things up might bring people back in.

Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't -- mostly doesn't. I don't begrudge them trying something different, but Horror is pretty simple to do -- and even simpler to fuck up.

Scream 4 was great, doesn't get enough credit imo

I would be all for a new Fri 13th but the kills are going to be redundant as fuck
they won't put the effort in, no practical effects, no eye-popping head splats
it will be just 80 mins of digital blood

how about a sequel that takes some risks
how about a franchise comes through in 2017 with some balls to say "here it is, not a reboot, but part VII"
gimme something like Texas Chainsaw Part 2
gimme another Halloween III or Army of Darkness
play around with a property, subvert it and make it goofier

See, it's so easy to do Slashers right -- I mean, you could just cut-and-paste a Halloween or one of the first 4 Ft13ths -- that it's boggling how often it's fucked up.

Slashers are the EASIEST Horror movies to do. You give viewers gore and an interesting killer and that's all you need. Granted, TCM II did go a slightly different route in tone and it's one of my all-time favorite Horror movies -- same with what came after Evil Dead in terms of shifting tone.

It's not hard to do a Slasher, but people make it hard on themselves and mess it up.

slashers were
>memorable killer with mediocre lore
>poorly developed side characters
>forgettable locations
>shock value gore

slashers needed to be
>memorable main character with cool lore
>side characters with some type of a story
>memorable location
>realistic, torturous deaths that people can imagine happening to them

>Implying the killer isn't the most important part of a slasher

Chainmail

Scre4m had the shittiest ending ever. That hack Craven is too scared to kill off Sidney.

in the age of Trump and rape culture you just CANNOT have slashers anymore

Poor guy didn't deserve that shit.

>thats because normal people actually believe in ghosts

You can call it ghosts, spirits, or energy, but there is something, user Take my word on it there is something.

they were objectively terrible (for the most part, there were a few exceptions) though

but I guess everything is driven by nostalgia and brand name recognition these days

I would have came.

>Take my word on it

not really, it will lose steam within 5 years or so

WAS too scared, now he's dead, and he can't be scared

Never had a drink in my life. Never done drugs. I don't even even take any prescription medication. Not crazy as far as I know.
Saw something that I shouldn't have. Someone next to a lady everyone else said wasn't there. Lady tells me other types of people have told her they sometimes see this guy walking with her. She described him (as others have told her he looks like) exactly as I saw him. Every one else there said there was no guy next to her in that small four person group. I wanna not believe, but that shit is stumping me.

Slashers will make a comeback at some point because they're very cheap to make.

People were tired of slasher films much like the numales are now tired of the superhero flicks that are pouring out of hollywood.

>dat swole af counselor dressed in skimpy af clothing

>Heresay
People can hallucinate without being on drugs bruh

They fell into the same trap that the classic universal monsters did. They became "cool" instead of scary.

Honestly the only place for them is the same route the Monsters took I the 40s. Monster mash ups. But outside of Freddy vs. Jason none of the studios want to share their properties...so that never happened.

because it is objectively the worst genre of film

Romantic Comedies are the worst

It would be the first, and only time in life were I would have "hallucinated". Ad to the fact that she described him just as I saw him. Black glasses with thick rims. A white buttoned down shirt . A black beard. Heck she even told me that his arms were crossed which they were. I didn't tell her or anyone else the details of what he looked like yet she knew exactly what I saw based on what others had told her he looks like.

Instead of a Freddy vs Jason reboot would you watch a dahmer vs bundy movie?

nuh uh

Only if it's funny.

>not watching all the horror movie franchises in october

started with puppet master / killer doll series. then going to anything else I've never seen.

its fun to tackle a large body of work.

People on Sup Forums don't watching movies. They use there time to shitpost on Sup Forums

So much money in a team-up. They're not doing shit with the rights. Someone should just buy them all up.

New Odd Couple reboot
Would be genius

Slashers are still being made on the indie scene where it should be reborn. There's one being made now called "Clownface" which looks p.good.

Micheal > Jason > Freddy > Leatherface > Chucky > Ghostface (only because its supposed to be satire)

Any other slasher movies centered around a gimmick?