Watchmen thoughts?

picked this up to read before i watch the movie. what am i in for?

Other urls found in this thread:

capnwacky.com/rj/watchmen.html
ocf.berkeley.edu/~sjblatt/watchmen/o.html
pantherfile.uwm.edu/moulthro/hypertexts/wm/wm.htm
readingwatchmen.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Read that, and then don't watch the movie.

You're in for a bleak takedown of McCarthyism and superhero comics.

Spoilers if you read this thread.
Really, just read the book and then come back.

Read the comic and then re-read it with these companions
capnwacky.com/rj/watchmen.html
ocf.berkeley.edu/~sjblatt/watchmen/o.html
pantherfile.uwm.edu/moulthro/hypertexts/wm/wm.htm
readingwatchmen.com/

It will blow your fucking mind how much detail goes on every single panel and all the plot point that we don't see directly.

Fuck off.

We just had this thread.
Sup Forums says that the comic is overrated until you bring up the movie.
Then Sup Forums acts like the comic is an unfilmable masterpiece that zack le hack ruined.

>le hack

Zack did a pretty shit job adapting Watchmen.

Just because he got some of the costumes and pretty panel angles right doesn't mean he did a good job.

It's one of the books that got me into comics, but now I have other favorites. It's a great read, but not the end-all-be-all.

If you like it, check out Bedlam vol 1. It's another book that uses superheroes to put utilitarianism under the microscope.

>Zack did a pretty shit job adapting Watchmen.
wrong
For every one thing people nitpick, he got ten things right.

The Watchmen movie is closer to the book than the Lord of The Rings films are.

It's pretty great. That's all I have to say, really. It goes into detail about every little element and does a good job about fleshing out the world. The movie's fine on its own, you can take it or leave it. I've heard the Director's Cut is better than the theatrical, not sure if that includes Black Freighter ir not. The motion comic's alright, yoo, if you don't mind everyone being voiced by one guy.

>not sure if that includes Black Freighter ir not.
There are 3 cuts.
The longest does include the Black Freighter.

i made myself read this before watching the movie aswell. i really liked it. then the movie blew me away. i love them both. i cant be alone on this.

I assume you already know what happens, but I'll spoiler it anyway.
Rorschach being too good for this world. Too pure.

>what am i in for?

A bunch of things that only really make sense if you live in the 80's

>Book, the comic.

FPBP

back 2 reddit

The movie is fucking garbage, kill yourself.

the most overrated comic ever

>The movie is fucking garbage
wrong

Don't watch the movie. Like there's no reason. The movie takes itself way too seriously. People forget Watchmen is part satire. Also the action is cranked up from the comic to make everyone into action heroes. It's just dumb. Acting is bad too. Snyder has the mental capacity of a 14 year old.

Comic is great though. So interesting, Rorschach is one of my favorite characters, love that fucking serial killer virgin weirdo.

I've never seen the movie because...to me, that was the point of Watchmen. It was a brutal, bold-faced breakdown of the superhero genre and of comicbooks as a medium. It was grimdark but...with feeling, honestly. It points out a world where superheros could exist and the problems that could come with them- weaponization, manipulation, apathy, narcissism, etc.- and it really shoves it right in your face. It's not that it's unfilmable, but that it doesn't fit right with film because that wasn't the intention. I've heard decent things about the movie and I wouldn't really hate watching it, it might even be decent for all I know, but I can't see how it can have the same feeling to it. Watchmen needs to be a comic because it pulls the rug out from what you'd expect of a comic book. And then laughs at you. And then spends the money you spent on the comic to buy your mom for a night and retire to a small village in northern England.

And then doesn't call your mom.

Anyway I hope you enjoy the comic book.

Rorschach is a 45 year old virgin who uses violence against criminals as an outlet for his sexual frustration. He's not a hero.

You're retarded.

Right, it's completely satirical and has an oddly funny side to it, if only out of extreme irony. And not seeing that while reading is doing yourself and the comic a huge disservice.

>Snyder has the mental capacity of a 14 year old.
wrong

I wouldn't call it completely satirical. There's humor, but there's also a lot of heart to the characters.

The problem is that Snyder comes at it from the perspective of Dark Age comics, where the only thing that matters is edge. It's an adaptation that unironically sees Rorschach as a hero instead of a tragicomedic monster.

>It's an adaptation that unironically sees Rorschach as a hero instead of a tragicomedic monster.
But that's a problem in the comic too.
Moore made Rorschach too cool.

Moore made him such that a normal person wouldn't find him cool.

He's a penniless hypocrite whose idea of haute cuisine is sugar cubes and cold canned beans and whose only friend thinks he's kind of pathetic. He's consistently ineffectual at reducing crime and the only time his conspiracy theories are right it's in a "a stopped clock is" sense.

The problem is that most comic readers aren't normal people.

>Hey Sup Forums what opinions should I have?

satire doesnt always have to be humorous, the whole of it is tongue-in-cheek mockery, even when it's really serious. But yeah, I could see that being a huge problem. I've just never really wanted to see it