/std/ - Star Trek Discovery

Vulcan Kin Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/7290mj/postepisode_discussion_discovery_premiere_s1e0102/dngwr4e/
youtube.com/watch?v=orpnQSuZGeg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>people are already calling it the worst Star Trek ever
holy shit!
Nobody likes STD confirmed!

WE

post panty?

>its acronym is literally venereal disease

I saw it.

I liked it.

Best Star Trek Pilot of them all. Has potential to be the best Trek show too. I'm really surprised at how good it turned out.

Worst ST ever

LIVES LONG AN SHEET!

it's fucking garbage

I liked it, and I went in determined to dislike it. I'd say your confirmation is inaccurate, and premature.

It's truly horrible. Doesn't feel like Star Trek at all.

Came on here to see what Sup Forums thought of this imminent turd. Turns out it is worse than I thought; no one ever cares!

not hard to beat the first season of any star trek. Yet they keep failing at it. Let's see if this better start can continue

It's the best STD since AIDS

Just like the last 3 movies

if only they made a condom...for the eyes and ears

Helm! Damage report!

We're damaged, Sir!

Those are called STIs now.

Because your slow ass missed the last 2 500 post threads

>people either like it or hate it
>no one thinks it's just okay
>meanwhile most people think the Orville is just okay
What does it all mean?

Episode 2 is a lot better. The pace has slowed down enough, it feels more like Trek with tactical discussions.

I get people nitpicking at details but some of these reactions are hilariously over the top. FIRST OFFICER MUTINIED!

The Orville is pretty good.

That the Orville has a lot of potential.
But it's Seth Macfarlane. He'll flush it down the toilet.

Orville is just a mediocre show.
STD is an epic trainwreck.

hello shill

reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/7290mj/postepisode_discussion_discovery_premiere_s1e0102/dngwr4e/

>IT'S BAD BECAUSE ME AND ANOTHER user SAID WE DON'T LIKE IT
Like we'd ever listen to you. I liked it a lot.

Thank you. Hopefully you can learn these people something.

you probably have bad taste across the board

Still better than enterprise.

Can someone watch The Orville without any Star Trek knowledge whatsoever?

>Vulcan space magic
That is all

I like the new klingon look. Was kind of expecting at least one of the twenty-four houses to have the TNG look because Enterprise couldn't be bothered to exercise a bit of creativity with their prequel look, but it seems they're intentionally pulling a hard retcon on them, and the ship and uniform design philosophy across the series.

Klingon religious dude was decent as an antagonist, I was surprised they killed him off so soon. I thought he was struggling to talk through the fake teeth at first, but on closer inspection he's talking out of one side of his face only, maybe they fucked his face up as a kid during that flashback?

i kinda liked it. might pirate the next few eps but definitely not worth subscribing to all access shit

posting something on here and reddit doesn't make someone a shill

They started calling them that because disease sounds like something that will kill you and infection sounds like something you can cure with a salve.

Either way, your crotch is still rotten.

I think they're both just okay, but STD has higher potential.

I MIGHT pay for it, but that's only because I'm not a NEET poorfag anymore. I never would have payed for it a year ago.

Of course.

This was a dumpster fire, and felt even less like Trek than the JJ films. It's GoT in space, with lazy identity politics for press buzz.

Yes, there are just somethings you'd appreciate more have watched Star Trek before, specifically TNG

>not chubby Riker
One fucking job

STD is shit.

To anyone who says they like it: Game of Thrones is over, go back to Plebbit faggots.

Even reddit fucking hates. Literally no one liked it.

>white race is a mistake

I knew it.

>lazy identity politics for press buzz
Putting aside the press, what were the lazy identity politics in the premiere itself?

Does it go deep into alien planets and space? I'm really looking forward to shenanigans across the galaxy.

Liked the first two episodes and am willing to give the rest a chance.

Sorry you can't enjoy things but GoT is shit

Reddit hates it aswell

reddit hated it

Well correct my ways before I'm too fargone, user. Post it.

Are you kidding me?
muh race and culture
muh albino Klingon
muh Vulcan upbringing

It was all over the place.

I liked it. My family liked it. Anons here liked it. Stop putting your head in the ground.

How are those lazy identity politics?

>newfags shrieking reddit to fit in
What's new.

Mother of God!!!!!!

Even Reddit hates this piece of shit!?!?!?!

it's only 3 episodes in, but they visit an alien world in 2 & 3, also fleshing out each world's respective species

I don't get what you mean by "deep into space", they're on a space ship

Eh orville is great for the fact its got everything tng had std is kill gtfo shill

see

Usually the first half of the 1st season of a scify series is establishment of characters. Orville looks true to course. Next episode will probably be robot's episode. Around half season the will do a small arc for next(?) season.

I just finished the first episode. It was fairly good, and you're legitimately all fools for hating it. It sets the season's plot up fairly well and Burnham's moronic decision at the end actually makes sense - I'd even call it the best part of the episode. Saru is fantastic. I like Burnham's acting considering that she's a Vulcan-fostered human. The pacing is decent. My biggest complaint? DUTCH ANGLES, CHRIST.

tl;dr: Sup Forums and reddit are both acting like idiotic crybabies right now. My opinion will be vindicated, just watch.

youtube.com/watch?v=orpnQSuZGeg

CBS btfo by cinemassacre

Probably means he wants exploratory science fiction. More in line with TOS. Less over arching stories, though there are a few, more focus on frequently new aliens. Voyager also does this.
A wealth of alien species and exploration.

It's easy, cheap writing, doesn't actually interact with the issue in an interesting way. I'm actually super left-wing, and it just felt forced for brownie points to me.

That wasn't my main concern though. The cinematography and action movie pacing were the real issues, along with the usual Trek-tier acting, which I'm less willing to forgive because of how much they're hyping their casting choices.

Fuck you, pay me.

How serious is the series? I remember the trailer made it out to be extremely comedic. I can appreciate comedy but only if the base story is pretty complex.

True, and also true.

I'm not old enough to be able to compare TOS's pilot to others of the 70s, but the others are different shades of weak, TNG's is particularly bad. Time will tell if they fizzle out or not, but overall it's turned out better than I feared it would.

enough to pay for the CBS streaming service? If not it doesn't matter if you think the series has potential, it's going to fail hard

>drunken midget cameraman constantly staggering around
>lens flare lens flare lens flare
>black lead is TERRIBLE actress, incredibly awful, but no one will say a word in case someone calls them racist
>nu-klingons were awful, looked stupid, sounded stupid

Literally 1/10. Orville has it's problems, but its a hell of a lot better than this. It's more trek than this debacle ever be.

>Ryan

This "Sup Forums hates everything" meme has always been around and has been more or less present on every board, but this ridiculous invasion of every thread of every show or game with people shouting out awful everything is is getting ridiculous. What drives these people?

Nobody is gonna pay for this shit now. So no, your opinion will not be vindicated.

>comparing the Orville to Star Trek
Isn't everyone a flawed asshole on the Orville?

It just doesn't feel like Star Trek. The orville feels more like Star Trek. I just downloaded episode 2 so I'll allow it to redeem itself, but the pilot wasn't very good.

Half and half. 1st episode was jokes evey minute but they toned it down after that.

>What drives these people?
(You)'s

>Kligons look weird
>Its because they are a separate cult!

Show comes on and shows Klingons from a bunch of different houses and they all look the same.

>enough to pay for the CBS streaming service?
I'll get back to you on that. I'm on the fence.

>paying for it
It's on Netflix (except in the 3rd world) and everybody already has Netflix subscriptions. It's already paid for.

Crushing depression that identity politics has taken over all high budget entertainment.

this desu

Correct.

But then the actual people who enjoy things just end up leaving and it's nothing but a hateful circlejerk. I guess it's like a hatedom critical mass?

>Show comes on and shows Klingons from a bunch of different houses and they all look the same.

Change the look to how we want it and let the nerds justify it in novels nobody reads.

Just like they did for the TOS movies.

Flawed. Yes. Asshole. No.

I can believe that.

>he's just a shill! he can't actually think it's good! there's no way!

Thank you.

Just watch old stuff and anime. I just downloaded the original Flash Gordon film serials. They're way more fun and enjoyable than this shit will ever be.

Not sure why this bitch didn't get the death penalty. Mutiny is treason.

She's also batshit insane.

then it's finished, you liked it and are not willing to pull the trigger on a sub and from what I'm reading online you seem to be in the minority.
who's going to pay for a second season, Netflix are apparently pretty butthurt over CBS shenanigans regarding STD

No they arent, STIs and STDs are different things
AIDS is still an STD

Sounds like a black woman to me.

They don't have the death penalty in the 23rd century, idiot.

This whole show is going to be about war? The whole lil' mutaneer story line doesn't make a lot of sense, but whatever. Also, the streaming service fucking blows. You have to pay to watch advertisements, but the commercials constantly fucking freeze

>Netflix are apparently pretty butthurt over CBS shenanigans regarding STD
Post a source.

Oh wait, there is none.

I really liked it.

It's Roddenberry's core dream within Star Trek that's always infatuated me. I haven't even begun watching Orville because I'm afraid everything is just ironic and it turns McFarlin has as little grasp on what Star Trek means to people as Abrams.

>Captain and #1 are now asian and black women

so brave

The fact that you're paying for that service is more pathetic than this pathetic excise for a Trek show.