Hambro thread - any questions about radio, Skyking, etc. in here!

The N. Korea threads are moving very quickly and people in them are trying to figure out how to use the WebSDR. I hold an upgraded class amateur radio license, and have been a ham for over a decade.

In this thread I will be more than happy to give advice. Also let me recommend here in the OP that you run out and buy an SSB-capable short wave radio NOW, if the shit hits the fan it may be your only way to get news that isn't CNN-tier lies. My personal recommendation for a reasonably priced, good quality radio is the Sony ICF-SW7600GR.

Any other radio people are welcome here too, and general radio prepping questions are also welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3PdAywng8Xg
youtube.com/watch?v=AS3fQtSKCTw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direction_finding
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_direction_finding
sherweng.com/table.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_satellite
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth–Moon–Earth_communication
youtube.com/watch?v=F7sxgd8BJw0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Rule 1: don't use squelch on the websdr, you WILL miss weak signals!

Rule 2: for listening comfort narrow the filter to 2.2 KHz.

Bump for interest

same

What are the shit posting stations and what are the news aggregate stations. Also military stations even though I know jack shit for code words.

>SSB-capable

How important is this?

Even if you anons don't have a shortwave radio at this time, an AM radio is the next best thing. Don't expect any real news or Skyking happenings, but for local civil defense and emergency information nothing beats AM radio.

Here's my Swiss military / diplomatic intelligence set E-606:

Why is FM so shit-tier??

bump. thanks for the info

>Sony ICF-SW7600GR
I have a Baofeng UV525. How shit-tier is it? I can use it as a local police scanner and weather radio, don't have license yet so not txing.

I don't think it has the SSB you mention though, and I can't get the 8992.

But there are thousands of stations how do you find the happenings related one? Also do people bantz?

It's hard to compress all this into a post but shortwave.tk has updated schedules for all world shortwave stations sorted by country, frequency, and broadcast time.

Lots of broadcasters to choose from and lots of pirates too. Radio Melbourne International is great, lots of banter and good music, for news I like to get a variety.

>>SSB-capable
>How important is this?
Critical, even if you don't want to listen to Skyking aka HFGCS, it helps pull in difficult AM stations often times because you can use SSB to selectively receive one or the other side lobes of the transmission.

Also the radio I recommend had AM synch which is EXCELLENT at pulling in tough signals, and is a very rare feature usually found only on the most expensive radios.

My radio that I use most often is an Elecraft KX-3.

What if you live near sea level? How long an antenna we talking about here? I mean I'm a big guy I don't want people to think I'm over compensating.

It's not shit tier, it doesn't work for this kind of thing. FM is optimized to deliver sound quality and stereo audio.

What are your views on software-defined radio? From an information theoretic perspective, I detest the idea of getting my news aurally and having no way to save it and read back a verbatim copy later on.

Also, what are your views on VoA's datagram news service? I think it's a neat idea but it's still going to be CNN-tier lies.

Last of all, is there some free directory of shortwave stations that I can pick up around the world based on my location?

Bonus: Have you ever personally heard a number station?

I'm US Army over here. Its a weekend full of drills for me:,)

>Why is FM so shit-tier??
It's not, it's just not good for long range and takes up a shit ton of bandwidth. However the capture effect makes it relatively immune to interference in crowded areas.

>I have a Baofeng UV525. How shit-tier is it? I can use it as a local police scanner and weather radio, don't have license yet so not txing.
Pretty shit tier, that receiver's really meant for local FM reception even if it has shortwave band capability.

>I don't think it has the SSB you mention though, and I can't get the 8992.
Yeah it's really not for listening to shortwave. Get a real shortwave radio, you'll be very happy.

>But there are thousands of stations how do you find the happenings related one? Also do people bantz?
Gotta listen bro, and scan the bands. Plus the pirates and other unscheduled broadcasts can happen any time, any where. That's why I use a panadapter (see pics) which shows me a visual of the radio spectrum.

>What if you live near sea level? How long an antenna we talking about here? I mean I'm a big guy I don't want people to think I'm over compensating.
I have several antennas, any long wire will work. The antenna I am using to monitor right now is in pic.

>What are your views on software-defined radio? From an information theoretic perspective, I detest the idea of getting my news aurally and having no way to save it and read back a verbatim copy later on.
My main receiver is an SDR, and I think it's great technology. DAB is a thing, digital audio short wave broadcasts with accompanying text and data (even images!)

>Also, what are your views on VoA's datagram news service?
Never heard of it.

>Last of all, is there some free directory of shortwave stations that I can pick up around the world based on my location?
shortwave.tk
>Bonus: Have you ever personally heard a number station?
yes, cuba many times

I saw you in happening thread. You said it's just normal activity. Honestly though you know you are a trip wire right? Like your job is literally to be killed to force us into war. You're supposed to be a deterrent just by being there. Is this not true?

My plan is to use an RTL-SDR with direct sampling enabled. That way, I can use it with SDR Touch on my phone and be able to run it for weeks off of battery packs, which can recharge off solar. Good idea or am I missing something?

>VoA's datagram news service
Interesting and checked, a voa data broadcast. I will have to try to receive it, could be fun even though as you say the news will be shit tier.

>My plan is to use an RTL-SDR with direct sampling enabled. That way, I can use it with SDR Touch on my phone and be able to run it for weeks off of battery packs, which can recharge off solar. Good idea or am I missing something?

SDR is OK entry level technology but with zero front end filtering on the radio it is very easily overwhelmed by noise and strong nearby signals. For a starter though it's really cheap and capable. I say good idea.

I heard it's possible to set up really shitty "internet" over shortwave if shit goes down, are there any established pirate networks out there with BBSs or whatever that I should know about?

So how much scrap we talking about to get the entry rig in OP and a Ham license? Are there any bells and whistles that would be worthwhile?

>I heard it's possible to set up really shitty "internet" over shortwave if shit goes down, are there any established pirate networks out there with BBSs or whatever that I should know about?
It's not "really shitty" and it's called Winlink and already exists for all hams to use for free. We also have APRS and Packet Radio, AX.25 networks.

It's all set up and ready to go, I use Winlink and APRS to message my ham buddies and send texts to the wife from areas that are out of cell phone range.

>So how much scrap we talking about to get the entry rig in OP and a Ham license?
The Sony's like $100 or so I think. Ham licenses are $15 for the exam.

>Are there any bells and whistles that would be worthwhile?
You can easily spend $10000+ on one ham radio. All in my KX3 cost about $3500. The radio in pic, fully tricked out, is $18000.

>18k
Kek

>115 dollhairs
Sweet. Will it get radio internet?

dollhairs
>Sweet. Will it get radio internet?
No, for that you need an amateur radio license as well as a proper radio and the knowhow to get it all working.

Please don't transmit without a license until AFTER the end of the world!

Oh also if any anons go for my recommendation for the shortwave radio in my first post, if you can afford it get the optional matching antenna AN-LP1, which is really useful and kick ass. It's directional which lets you zero on on signals or null out interference as well.

Thanks, I figured it was prolly shit but got it anyway for local emergency stuff and portable.
I have had my eye on a Yaesu FT-2900R, which is only about $30 more than the Sony, and it is Txable. What do you think about that one?

>Txable
what's this?

I got a UV-5RA for 26 bucks and a 9 dollar nagoya antenna and have been pretty happy with it.

oh nvm, you mean the sony is just a receiver

can transmit as well. a transceiver vs a receiver.

>Yaesu FT-2900R
That's a mobile rig made for your car, it doesn't receive anything interesting at all other than ham band and local business band stuff.

If I was you I'd not worry about getting transceivers yet, you're wasting your money if you're not a ham. Pick a nice HF receiver, or multi-band receiver, and start with that.

The temptation to transmit may be too great and hams hunt down violators with glee, it's a game for us called fox hunting.

The Sony is a great choice and I own one myself, it's always in my truck.

Anyway if you want scanner advice I will give it - that Baofeng lacks trunking and digital which are both critical for listening to the cops and other public services these days. I have a Uniden Homepatrol for scanner duties.

>The temptation to transmit may be too great and hams hunt down violators with glee, it's a game for us called fox hunting.
How can you be found if you're mobile, satan?

>Also do people bantz?
OK on the ham bands, yes people banter.

youtube.com/watch?v=3PdAywng8Xg

What's going on with north Korea? I've been playing rocket league all night.

Related to the thread, if you have the right materials, is it better to just build a really basic am radio rather than buy one, or am I going to really lose out on quality.?

Put it this way, the guys who gave me my ham exam are the PARG, Phantom Amateur Radio Group, made up of retired cold-war radio intelligence officers who did this for a living for decades.

TL;DR on this NK thing?

Thanks user, will prolly pick up the Sony

Still, imagine you tx from a moving car. There's not a ham guy in every city, or is there?

What's the point of getting a license? Are all bands on shortwave monitored? Is there such a thing as "OTR" broadcasting?

I'm thinking about getting a license as well, so if you have some leads on where to prep for the test then I'd much obliged.

>Related to the thread, if you have the right materials, is it better to just build a really basic am radio rather than buy one, or am I going to really lose out on quality.?

It's a great project to help you learn but it will be many iterations before you have something approaching a set you can buy. However it is quite possible to build a home-made radio that's quite as capable and high-tech as anything made commercially. In fact this is how many radio businesses got their starts.

Here's a big ass antenna, on one of the largest antenna farms in the world (outclassing all but a few governments even) built by some hams and available for all hams to use for free:

youtube.com/watch?v=AS3fQtSKCTw

Don't quote me on this but I think CB is a band you can broadcast without a license

Also, I'd like to hear your recommendations on any portable radios.

>There's not a ham guy in every city, or is there?
801,000 in the USA.

yo reviewbrah :)

it's a big number but it's also a big territory to cover, how would you bust a guy without having to physically go really near his transmitter?

>What's the point of getting a license?
So you can legally transmit and so the government doesn't have idiots out there microwaving and electrocuting themselves and others and interfering with other radio spectrum users.

>Are all bands on shortwave monitored?
All radio bands are continually monitored from the ground and space.

>Is there such a thing as "OTR" broadcasting?
Ask the NSA but I am versed in all the techniques in hiding radio transmissions. It is not legal for hams to encrypt transmissions or use codes to conceal the meaning of transmissions, among other rules.

>I'm thinking about getting a license as well, so if you have some leads on where to prep for the test then I'd much obliged.
eham.net, go to the left sidebar and choose practice exams, then choose the technician exam and practice it until you can pass. Also get the ARRL Handbook for Radio Communications.

>it's a big number but it's also a big territory to cover, how would you bust a guy without having to physically go really near his transmitter?
look on youtube for fox hunting, lots of videos about techniques and equipment.

>a fucking leaf
>1812

Kek. Old people banter is the best.

will do, thanks

Do you have any recommended starter equipment once one have obtained an amateur radio licence. Preferably an inexpensive set but with most bang for the bucks.

alllllllah akbar

I have a glenayre 250w amp, ge mastr II, executive on the Clark County Civil Defenses frequency, and a am/fm 1500 dont know to use any of them

>You can easily spend $10000+ on one ham radio. All in my KX3 cost about $3500. The radio in pic, fully tricked out, is $18000
ya and the 18k will sell pretty fast on ebay. people buy the shit up fast

Do-it-all shacks in a box have been around for a long time and still exist. Most aren't that great though, excepting a very few products from Elecraft.

I would look at getting, in order, a decent handheld transmitter, a decent HF radio, then a mobile if you decide you want radio in your car. Specific radio recommendations are tough without knowing your skill level and so on. Your local ham club will help you and mentor you on purchases. For my money if I had to give you a recommendation right diggity now, it'd be the BRAND NEW ***CUTE*** little Elecraft KX2, little brother to my rig the KX3. KX2 starts at $750 and goes up as you add options (which you install yourself).

All I found was pretty close, do you have a link on long distance triangulation or something like that?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direction_finding

Lots of literature out there, the wiki article will guide you.

>I have a glenayre 250w amp, ge mastr II, executive on the Clark County Civil Defenses frequency, and a am/fm 1500 dont know to use any of them
heh

Oh, I had been looking into this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_direction_finding

i paid i think $175 for all with 150 dell 19"lcd's but havent gotten around selling the HAM shit.

Are there whackers like the one in the pic IRL or do you think it was set up for the photo?

I'm planning on taking the course and exam later this year, so my skill level is newfag when it comes to radio. Looks like your recommendation looks nice. And good that I can "evolve" the set by adding features as my lever increases.

They exist in real life, I have several in my little town. They're retarded.

Yeah Elecraft's the only company out there selling radios that you can put the expensive upgrades into later, once you figure out what the hell is going on.

Plus made in USA, make Trump-san happy.

You'll still need a handheld transmitter for UHF / VHF though. I have the Yaesu VX-3 and VX-8's. The VX-3 is smaller than any flip phone and the battery will last for days.

wow, I don't think I'd be able to drive a car like in your previous post, damn thing is littered all over the dash

Have you ever heard signals from the upside down?

?

Also wanted to mention Elecraft for another reason, getting a Jap radio repaired in your country involves shipping it away to another country for months. With Elecraft you have all your own on-board test equipment built into the radio itself (yes no shit) so you can align it with nothing more than a multimeter. If a part breaks they will mail you the board and you send them the busted one back on your honor. They are the best for customer service, the president of the company called me personally to thank me for my order and answer a technical question I asked with my order. He was is one of the two main engineers there.

Best customer care ever.

please try again, i didn't receive you properly lol

Get a shortwave set mil-user, it's a better hobby than going to the bars!

>he doesn't know about the upside down

I wouldn't sit on ass about it, there's a rumor they are already out of production. It's the finest reasonably priced shortwave set left on the market.

Nice ;_;
As I am prevented to contribute to Trumps campaign directly it is nice to be able to do something indirectly to Make America Great Again.

Wow awesome. That is top tier service.

Got some background in electronics so for learning the amateur radio licence it will be stuff like QR codes and the practical code of conduct etc. that I'll have to learn. Nice site you linked earlier (eham.net) for practice exams. Do you have any other recommendations for learning and practising and learning what I need for the exam?

I'm just messing with you with the upside down thing, it's like an netherworld in the series Stranger Things and people speak there and they can be heard on the normal world.

They tested another nuke and WWIII might happen as usual, but probably not.

>hurray for editing and leaving redundant words in text

>As I am prevented to contribute to Trumps campaign directly it is nice to be able to do something indirectly to Make America Great Again.
If you go to this site:

sherweng.com/table.html

and look you'll see a chart comparing the various features of radios, Elecraft's at the top of the list in every category. These are NSA-tier receivers in these radios.

>Wow awesome. That is top tier service.
Yes they bend over backwards. I believe the authorized EU distributor's in Germany but if you email them they'll tell you.

>Got some background in electronics so for learning the amateur radio licence it will be stuff like QR codes and the practical code of conduct etc. that I'll have to learn. Nice site you linked earlier (eham.net) for practice exams. Do you have any other recommendations for learning and practising and learning what I need for the exam?
Your country's ham exams are likely different and more difficult than in the USA. We have a three tier license system (Technician, General, Extra), with the first license being very easy to get but with few privileges, the middle tier license is much harder, and the top is harder still but gives you relatively few advantages over the middle tier.

I also recommend you (and all anons planning to ham it up) to study morse code telegraphy at lcwo.net - it is the basic form of radio communications, works with most any radio from any time period, and is very efficient in terms of distance per watt input into the antenna.

Look forward to shitposting online with you user.

Are you licensed?

I have thought of learning morse code, but it is not longer required for the amateur license any more. But morse code will be an to-do item afrer license.

I'm not sure what tier the Norwegian amateur license is equal to, but I suspect it is General. You need to learn about basic electronics for radio. Some of the QR codes (not all, but you have to give some basic replies and information using QR codes). There is more, but don't have the book here so can't quite remember, but I know there is a few chapters that I have left out of that. It isn't too many sessions with teaching so not too much either. I think you'll end up with licence for all open frequencies at all output levels.

ok ok my white friend ;-)

>I have thought of learning morse code, but it is not longer required for the amateur license any more. But morse code will be an to-do item afrer license.
That's how I've done it, but my KX3's PX3 option allows me to plug a USB keyboard into the radio and type in whatever I want and it will send the morse code, RTTY, or PSK signals. It will also read morse and digital off the air and read it out on the screen LOL so I am lazy and slow with the code.

>I'm not sure what tier the Norwegian amateur license is equal to, but I suspect it is General. You need to learn about basic electronics for radio. Some of the QR codes (not all, but you have to give some basic replies and information using QR codes). There is more, but don't have the book here so can't quite remember, but I know there is a few chapters that I have left out of that. It isn't too many sessions with teaching so not too much either. I think you'll end up with licence for all open frequencies at all output levels.
Yeah that's pretty typical, they don't care what you do as long as you do it within the safety and regulatory rules and you don't act as a spy or transmit encrypted information.

Lots of cool stuff out there to do, did you know we hams have dozens of satellites just for our own use, of which several are still functioning? LOL, not kidding, look:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_satellite

We also use the moon, it's a reliable telecoms satellite:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth–Moon–Earth_communication

youtube.com/watch?v=F7sxgd8BJw0

Sorry for late reply was away for a little while.

I've heard about the satellites (but only in passing). But I'll definitely check it out ;_;

Back in the day, it might still be operational just for shits and giggles, they have (or had) a "rely station" in Tromso that you could use to connect to the internet via (slow as hell, but because it can be done - why not make it).

I'll check out the video when I'm on better network that isn't metered (will save link for later).

Many thanks for all the info you have been very helpful. So much fun one can do with an amateur license and the right equipment.