Where we are now

Let's pretend for a second that the post-film comics don't exist and just view the Guardians of the Galaxy film (and Vol 2's trailer, which got me thinking about this) in the context of the comic series that ended with Thanos Imperative.

Are you content with how these films are portraying the Guardians? Would you have preferred a less well received film (X-men 3/Wolverine Origins level in quality) that was a 1:1 copy of the comics?

>Would you have preferred a less well received film that was a 1:1 copy of the comics?
Fuck no.

Just as I am capable of loving 616 Reed and Ultimate Reed I can love the MCU characters if they are done well.
Modern Marvel comics is mostly garbage so who gives a shit, read the couple gems that still come out and just let go of the rest until Disney steps in and fires everyone to start anew.

So then do you like what they did with the series in the films?

>Are you content with how these films are portraying the Guardians?

Yes, and I've read every appearance of the characters before 2013.

>Would you have preferred a less well received film (X-men 3/Wolverine Origins level in quality) that was a 1:1 copy of the comics?

Of course not. I read the comics, especially Annihilation and GOTG v2, fairly regularly. I enjoy them for what they are, I don't need a movie to validate them.

And I can say that it would have been supremely difficult to make a 2 hour movie that conveys any of those storylines remotely well without the general audience being confused as shit.

It was a pretty good movie so yeah.

Yeah, quite a lot. Way I see it, a lot of the things I loved about the DnA era Guardians only worked within the context of the natural progression for the characters through years of stories. To copy all that exactly but without any or very little of said context risked becoming an absolute mess, too much trouble for too little gain, since if I wanted a perfect comics Star-Lord, for example, I'd just read the comics. Instead, they zeroed in on a handful of characteristics and translated them into a new context that fed from the old. So Rocket is still a brilliant strategist who does what he can with what he has in hand (that prison escape scene was glorious), Drax is still a single-minded violent bastard, and so on. What changes were made to personalities and backstories felt like they were done in the service of the movie, and I found myself agreeing with them and enjoying the resulting product. The only exception was Gamora, who I really would've loved to see doing the Space Barbarian Queen shtick a bit more, at least at the start.
So overall, different characters for a different context who still retained some of the core traits of the versions I loved while also bringing a handful of new-ish things to the table that I really enjoyed. Good stuff.

that guy clearly doesn't read comics and is tv shitposter

>, a lot of the things I loved about the DnA era Guardians only worked within the context of the natural progression for the characters through years of stories.

I heard great things about that GotG but if is anything like the movie then those great things are like Gwenpool, actually just dorky bullshit

This. Gamora is the weakest character of the bunch because it feels like they needed a straight man to all the crazy going around and a love interest. Hopefully she's a bit more savage in the sequel.

>The only exception was Gamora, who I really would've loved to see doing the Space Barbarian Queen shtick a bit more,
Yeah I though Gamora was the weakest part of the first film and I'm hoping she does better in 2.

>that guy clearly doesn't read comics and is tv shitposter
Oh fuck off.

>if is anything like the movie then those great things are like Gwenpool, actually just dorky bullshit
Nah, it's much more different. The comics GotG formed after a series of apocalyptic events happened in quick succession, destabilizing the galaxy and leaving everyone looking out for themselves, so Star-Lord formed a team with people he'd met over the years to seek out and eliminate threats to the universe before they grew too massive. Their shtick was that none of them were the best or most powerful or even better suited for the job, but they did it anyway because someone has to do it. Very good stuff, highly recommended, and the humor was less dork and more dark.

Was also dork at times too

>I didn't get to be this handsome and laconic through clean livin

Oh yeah.

>he comics GotG formed after a series of apocalyptic events happened in quick succession, destabilizing the galaxy and leaving everyone looking out for themselves, so Star-Lord formed a team with people he'd met over the years to seek out and eliminate threats to the universe before they grew too massive.

Yeah the plot can involve apoxalypse, mass deaths and all you want but if the tone is the same comedic bullshit from the movie, those ''bad'' events don't feel real, they don't have weight to it beyond your generic main character having flashbacks about the family that he lost in those events, etc.

So is like dumb comedic or what? Compare it to a popular and similar movie

Like Gwenpool, those waifufags can pretend all they want that the comic is about this damage girl that when she is smiling she is actually suffering and all the meta commentary in the world,etc but at the end of the day is just a quirky lolsorandom bullshit comic because that's the tone of the whole thing

Jack Flag being in the Guardians was inspiring. Liked his costume a lot too.

See what happens when you just post or say half assed opinions? People assume that that's the best you got so they dismiss you

Pro tip, don't give half assed opinions

I just wish that Star Lord hadn't been played by such an unappealing guy. They have tons of attractive men at their disposal, why did they pick a guy who looks like he sneaks into college house parties and feels up passed-out drunk girls?

>seriously implying that comedy and drama can't mix in storytelling

>but if the tone is the same comedic bullshit from the movie, those ''bad'' events don't feel real
Nah, they went through pretty big lengths to make sure the events felt huge and destructive, both in a macro and micro level. Empires fell, good friends died, all that good stuff. And since most of the main players like Nova or Star-Lord didn't really have families to kill or girlfriends to maim, any emotional gutpunches thrown came from the cast itself rather than disposable outliers killed for cheap drama. That was another of the strong elements of the run: since it was an entire team of Literally Whos, there was a constant feeling that any of them could die at any moment, and in a couple of cases, they did. It was very character driven, plot-wise and thematically.
So yeah, not much in the way of lolsorandom, lots of sarcastic humor, but balanced out with a prevalent sense of encroaching dread. Good times.

The first story, Annihilation, is basically Aliens or Starship Troopers. There's an impossibly huge force of alien bugs sweeping through galaxies and wiping out everything they come across. Different alien races, and whatever super powered cosmic heroes who are hanging around band together and fight them as best they can. Some of the characters who later become the GotG are involved in the war. From then on, they're always fighting against threats way out of their league and trying their best to make things work. I wouldn't consider it comedic, unless an occasional joke like this offends you.

The comic medium isn't an inferior medium to film, so I have no strong desire to see comics imitated perfectly in film (partly because it can't be done). What I do like to see is fresh interpretations of the source material with some homages to classic scenes thrown in. Guardians was pretty great in that regard.

honestly i cant say

before GotG came out if people just told me the plot and how it differered from the comics, full of memes and old people music, i would have said fuck that i want it to stay true

but i really enjoyed it
and i trust i will enjoy the second one, now some world (universe) bulding is done perhaps we can get to some more meat of stuff

i hope warlock is still the plot point for gotg 2, hes been kept under wraps, we still dont know much about the movie

gunn said the trailer and info like ego being starlords dad was all stuff very early in the movie that sets the stage for more things

i just hope for Nova of somekind and a good Warlock, hopefully both

It's more than occasionally quippy, that was one of the reasons Sup Forums loved it in the first place.

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't prefer to see a serious, gritty sci-fi action movie with Star Lord as a jaded, washed up ex-superhero forced to lead a paramilitary group against impossible odds.

That said, I did really enjoy the movie for what it was. And I'm happy it was so successful.

>i just hope for Nova of somekind and a good Warlock, hopefully both

I'm actually glad you mentioned Nova. My current thought process is that they could use Infinity War as a launching point for Nova, assuming they stick with the Novas we saw in the first GotG. Thanos blows the fuck out of the Novas for the infinity gem and a Terran recruit (who ended up in space much like Quill did but the Novas picked him up) is the only survivor. He gets the Worldmind in his helmet which gives him powers that all the other Novas don't have (energy blasts, ability to fly, etc) because aliens.

My concern is that pic related probably wouldn't get to be in the films. I know Nova has done other things but THIS is what defines Nova to a lot of people and not only is Annihilus a F4 character but I think it's too graphic for a PG-13 film.

So I'm not sure what the solution is. But that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Annihilation or something like it is Marvel's end game for a post-Infinity War MCU. They're going more towards the cosmic side with Captain Marvel and the Inhumans, so they could totally put the pieces together for Annihilation...though they may need to beg FOX.

I could see something happening to the team and he gets old and winds up leading a dirty dozen military suicide squad inspired by the Guardians. So basically the inverse of the comics.

>or Starship Troopers

That's not meant to be a good thing, right?

I could see them encountering a future version of the team through time travel bullshit at some some point. Kind of like how the DnA Guardians met the old school Guardians.

The Guardians movie was based off of DnA's run, and pretty much had the same tone, while being a lot more light hearted. It was a reimagining of the characters, while still staying faithful to what DnA set up.

I am super happy with how the films have portrayed the Guardians.

Is Gwenpool the only comic you've ever read or something?

Back to Sup Forums with your lame ass "muh quips" complains.

Adaptions are their own thing.
Sup Forums fags are the worst kind of faggots. Accuracy fags are the worst kind of Sup Forums faggots, all they ever do is cry.

Is just an example of a comic that sucks but people claim that has substance to it while it doesn't, calm down, faggot

Fuck off.
If you want to complain about Gwenpool do it in a Gwenpool thread, don't weasel it in here.

mugga pls

You know what's funny? I heard it described as "Star Wars for a new generation", yet the characters predate Star Wars.

no

>Would you have preferred a less well received film (X-men 3/Wolverine Origins level in quality) that was a 1:1 copy of the comics?
yes

it can't

which one? groot? because drax, starlord, gamora, rr don't

and if you mean the OG Gotg, nobody cares about them

I want marvel to die painfully, I want shills to be executed, and I want Sup Forums to stop discussing mcu

You are Cancer, and you should be eliminated
And God help me, you should be eliminated immediately

Drax and Gamora are '75, Quill and Rocket are '76. So yeah, they predate the official release if nothing else.

I don't know about Star Wars for a new generation. It was probably one of the best sci-fi action films in recent years but I don't think it had the same impact that the original star wars did since that was visually stunning as well as interesting.

Groot is the oldest of them all.

Nothing can be the Star Wars of a new generation. The average visual quality of today's big movies has gotten too good for anything to wow the public to the extent Star Wars did back then.

People were wowed by the visuals of James Cameron's Avatar. Unfortunately, it had zero substance and was quickly forgotten.

Yeah Avatar was probably the last big leap until we get something like VR movies.

What is he up to now? Did he make up with his earth gf?

He got thrown out of a plane by Captain America.

At the end of the day I just want a movie that is good

You're a dumbass.
The movie put its own spin on the characters and ideas of the Abnett Guardians while remaining faithful to the spirit of it.

I read somewhere that the guy who are writing Infinity War have said like Nova, but I'm not sure if that was legit.
At first, I wouldn't think they'd use an Avengers movie to set up other characters, but Vision and Wanda both spun out of AoU.
Still, I feel like with what Gunn did to them, seeing Rich as the powerhouse Lone Ranger seems like a long shot now.

So he is alright?

I don't know, I only read that first issue to see why everyone was getting so triggered by Cap being with Hydra.