Was she a Mary Sue Sup Forums?

was she a Mary Sue Sup Forums?

This std was even worse than I had hoped

WTF is a mary sue

Everyone hates her by Episode 3 so probably not.

I wouldn't say she's a mary sue, but she's that annoying kind of character that does really stupid shit and the plot unrealistically warps around her to make it the right choice despite it being extremely illogical.
I honestly don't trust modern writers to make a well written black female character. Too many of the old guard is retired or dead.
The character is going to suffer because the writers don't see her as a human.

I was disappointed because now little girls have someone to look up to, until the next piece of propagada that claims to break new ground by having a woman in it.

its called bad writing
yes she is a mary sue

I am disappointed because I actually liked Captain Riceballs, but she is a really dull character.

That's not what makes a Sue.

Nobody hates her at the end of episode 2 she broke the law and shes just fresh meat in special snowflake space prison. she will probably spend half an episode if that getting taunted by the other inmates then use her knife ear combat skills to beat someone up because prison shit. Then the captain will promote her to basically be first mate because shes so smart and there's a war on.

i thought mary sues were meant to be great at everything or some shit?
she was terrible at bein a first officer

She's hotblooded like Kirk. I'm ok with this.

mary sues are great at everything through the lens of them self. everything they do is the right thing by default.

How in any way is she a mary sue?
She fucking sucks ass, got her crew killed and got put in prison for life.

Makes sense. Doesn't mean the crew has to trust her immediately. Also wouldn't be the first time an officer went from expulsion to captain.

Now she's in a Soviet penal battalion.

No, not really. It is obvious she doesn't excell at everything she does.

Kirk was only "hotblooded" compared to most of his crew. The commander character has always been a diplomat character. Kirk was no exception. Always asked questions first, then punched the shit out of reptiles and greek gods.

Plot armor doesn't make her Mary Sue. It just makes it a bit of bad writing. You kow, like it usually happens in most older Trek episodes as well.

cuz she's black, that automatically makes her a mary sue

Not in the slightest. Do you even know that term means?

>mary sues are great at everything through the lens of them self
That's not what Sues are. They're self-inserts that are objectively the best at everything in their own universes.

>out smarts a computer
>out fights a klingon
>special snow flake chosen one by vulcans to go through their school and smarter than any human
>can do magic trans warp telepathy
>special snowflake in jail
>such a special snowflake gets out of life sentence before even arriving in jail

would highlight more shit but the plot is so poorly written it took them 2 episodes and fuck all happened and fucking barely any characterization other than >LE HUMAN VULNCAN NERVE PINCH

I only saw the episode but I would say no. Her human idealism was tainted by Vulcan pragmatism.

>role model for young black women
>kills a black alien
>attacks a white superior officer with no remorse
>attempts to attack black alien vessel
>goes to jail at the end

were the writers on drugs?

You know 'mary sue' has a specialized meaning, right? A huge part of it is that a sue is a self-insert that all the other characters love and adore and think is great and wonderful. So far she's a huge fuckup that everybody hates for pulling a failed mutiny, starting an interstellar war, creating a klingon god-martyr, getting her captain killed, etc etc.
Mary sue doesn't just mean an accomplished or capable character.

>>attacks a white superior officer
When?

>out smarts a computer
Looked fairly easy. She just got it to do what it was supposed to do, ie save her life. Not like she hacked it to do something against its function.
>out fights a klingon
You mean killed it by accident when it impaled itself
>special snow flake chosen one by vulcans to go through their school and smarter than any human
Literally never says or implies she's smarter than any human. Also, her Vulcan school lessons seemed like a piece of piss compared to what we saw Spock doing at a younger age in Trek '09.
>can do magic trans warp telepathy
It was actually Sarek doing that, you realise.
>special snowflake in jail
Huh?
>such a special snowflake gets out of life sentence before even arriving in jail
We still don't know what happens, do we? But isn't it reasonable to assume it's because she has experience with the klingons or because there's a demand for experienced officers because there's a huge war on?

I don't see it. Saying emptive words like snowflake over and over doesn't really stack up against what happens in the episode.

I am simply glad that Star Trek finally has a female lead and a black commanding officer. These are two important Firsts for two marginalized communities which have historically been excluded from Star Trek.

Thank you, STD!

>Who is Sisko?
>Who is Janeway?

goddammit.

>Tells captain she wants to go for a space walk
>Science Commander points out that radiation level's so high she'll start melting in 20 minutes
>Lol, I'll be back in 19!
>Captain is so convinced by this argument that instead of considering alternatives, just tells her yes and even comes close to ordering another commanding officer to go with her on her suicide mission
>Everything goes expectantly awry, but she manages to kill a Klingon Warrior, gets her flesh melted off her as well as a serious head trauma in addition to a fatal dose of radiation, but decides she'll just casually walk it off

>Vulcan nerve pinches the captain and tries to take command. The Science Commander who is the third in command points out that she was literally just being scolded by the Captain, so clearly she's not acting on the Captain's orders
>The crew just goes along with it anyway like the cardboard cut outs they are next to her
>While she was about to do something stupid, she actually doesn't manage to, because the captain (somehow also casually walking off a Vulcan nerve pinch?) shows up, second stupid thing she was going to do averted and turned into a big character moment for her

>Gets sent to the brig
>Literally the entire brig is exploded, except for the tiny cube where she was, and the power conduits keeping the force fields around her active
>Out-logics a computer to get out
>Gets out by jumping through the vacuum of space
>2 minutes later is casually walking onto the bridge to scold the captain about how she was of course right all along

>She's made the pivotal figure of this conflict somehow, even though the only thing she actually did that could have to any degree started it was kill a Klingon warrior that attacked her, while acting on the Captain's orders. Her mutiny was cut short before she actually could have done anything to make the situation worse
>In spite of this, apparently the whole of Starfleet has heard of her by Episode 3

>Is Spock's sister

Really?

Honest question: What is the Federations' Tax Policy?

Not at all. She is smart and strong but far from perfect and fucks up a lot.

>Vulcan = calm, logical and peaceful people
>Klingon = people centered around war and a violent religion
Lesson from the first two episodes:
>The Vulcans had it right, you should shoot Klingons on sight
>"Nah, this is not some really important political commentary on current events that goes against the SJW leftist narrative. Better go complain about a female lead."

No, but they might as well make her one if she's going to be this awful.

>Thank you, STD!

You're welcome, AIDS

>$8.5 million per episode
>CBS

This thing will be dropped before Christmas. CBS is notorious for canceling shows that are too expensive. Limitless, Original Flash, Jericho, Super Girl and many more. Thank god this landed at UPN err CBS.

Easy. Fair redistribution of Latinum bars for efficient Labor.
>Star trek lives under UBI.

This is what a Best Girl looks like Sup Forums.

If you're too triggered by strong black women to appreciate her now, you'll be feeling silly sitting around reposting Orville memes while the rest of us are cheering for Michael Burn 'Em getting biblical on some ISIS Klingon ass.

But user, the Archangel Michael has neither sex nor race.

>obsessing over the black chick when Star Trek has a visual metaphor budget now

Bannon training seminars couldn't have prepared you for YASSS TRAK DISCO. One look at ol' pussyface, walking punchline of the gayliens joke, should warn you that these memes will be the dankest, shrektest, Trekkiest of them all.

In english, doc

>Vulcan nerve pinches the captain
Why did not it hold?
>Captain is so convinced
seems normal for these shows. at least they did not do anything as stupid as they do in alien.
> she'll just casually walk it off
I hate that in every show.
> degree started it was kill a Klingon warrior
would have been nice if it was some unknown race. as viewers we see that Klingon's are getting hyped up for the crusade but would be interesting if we did not know and had doubt about if she just started a war or something (at least for few eps) btw is the Klingon accurate, what do the autistic ones say?

>Is Spock's sister
please tell me you are joking, I only saw ep 1.

She isn't outright established as such yet, but Sarik takes a very special interest in her to the point of mind-melding with her to save her life, and considering we already know her name, the only thing to do with her in regards to the "Whose identity will only be revealed only at the end of the series" promise is to pull a Luke Skywalker and reveal that her parents weren't who she thought they were.

>Clearly building up to "le ebil whitey" klingon

Sarek refers to her as his ward, she's as much related to Spock as the Robins are related to each other.

george lucas here. please delete this.

This show sees redpilled as fuck. I think they threw in all the minorities to provide cover.

A foster daughter at most. Sarek has been looking after her since her parents died in a klingon attack, so it's a kind of a Worf deal.

honestly I have no idea how someone like her even got to be first officer in the first place

>"My commitment to this cause is not emotional"
>on the brink of tears throughout the interaction

can someone post screenshots of all her panty?

affirmative action.

There's a reason why Georgiou states that she's been wrong about Burnham being ready for her own command.

>thatsthepoint.jpg

That's unironically true, as Burnham was the first human to undergo Vulcan schooling.

did you miss the part where the bad kilngons are nationalists who are scared of the good multiculti federation tainting their unique culture

STD was so bad it literally gave Sarek Bendii syndrome.

>Space niggers appear
>Space Asians tell you to shoot the Space niggers on sight

No. Learn the definition of it first then come back here.

Yea, muslims are evil, we get it.

>implying their unique culture is not a stand-in for muslims
You're not seeing it as a whole. Pay more attention. If you don't, then it leaves you with these incomplete conclusions. (Which is very convenient, because there are faggots like you in socjus communities who also make the same mistake, helping them get away with it.) Muslims are also strongly against the multiculti liberal stuff btw, and ISIS absolutely does recruit with a very similar narrative to what's seen in the show.

that is the point. you are seeing her character, not watching 2 robots act out the optimal path.

They conveniently forgot about that general order that says to remove the emotionally compromised crewman from active duty

Klingon's are nazis
They have already established white klingon's are niggers

Punch nazis on sight

based Asians are based in all realities. (except mainland china, fuck them soulless dogs)

>implying there is a difference between ISIS and white christian nationalists
it's you who is blind to what is being said here

>was she a Mary Sue Sup Forums?
Mmm, nope.

She is incredible and capable and skilled and smart, but being exceptional doesn't make you a Mary Sue automatically. A Mary Sue is a character that all the characters like, that doesn't need the other characters' help, and pretty much solves everything on their own.

1) Everyone doesn't like her. Really, the only people who liked her was Sarek (who raised her, and even then, he's a Vulcan so he's pretty cold to her) and the captain, and she's dead, Jim. The alien guy didn't like her much, and the rest of the crew didn't seem that warm to her. Starfleet doesn't seem to like her much. The preview for the season shows that a lot of people hate her guts and blame her for the war.

2) She's not successful at everything she does. She fails to fire on the Klingon beacon ship (meaning she has one weak ass Vulcan nerve pinch if an elderly woman can shrug it off). She fails to take the Klingon leader alive like planned and, worse, gets her captain killed (why the captain beamed aboard when she's an elderly woman is a bit baffling -- Picard would have sent Worf and maybe Riker or Data to back him up).

3) She doesn't solve every problem on her own. When they're lost on that planet, the captain gets them off. When they first encounter the Klingons, it's Sarek who tells her what to do about them. It was the captain's plan, if I remember right, to put the bomb on the corpse. Really, the only solution she comes up with is how to get out of the cell.

Therefore, not a Mary Sue.

Yeah. Go suck some sand nigger dick.

>nazis
I almost vomited reading this, for reals. are you brain dead? Is nazis the only thing that ever pops up into your mind? take any antagonist in any shows and some mouthbreathers first reaction is "hur dur nazis". ozai was a nazi ,bla bla bla, expend your horizons you brainless faggot

I would execute her on the spot for her mutiny, even if she was right

>there is no difference between ISIS and white Christian nationalists

o u

No. Surprisingly not.

>it was an accident XDD111
>actually, outsmarting le super computer is fairly easy
>never says or implies she's smarter than any human
she's quoting probabilities in the first 2 scenes, kid

you're so reddit it hurts, stop pretending you belong here. its evident she was a mary sue, she just started a conflict, tried mutiny and tried to start a war
and in under 1 episode she's going to get away with it and have no repercussions

You're just an alt right cry baby

she fucked up almost everything, she was an emotionally wrecked, borderline raciss fuckup until she redeemed herself in the last 5 minutes.

how was she a mary sue?

Unironically this.

t. a POC woman

So she's not very special at all in Trek universe in comparison to male characters.

IT COULD'VE BEEN TREKKINO
NICHOLAS MEYER, RED JACKETS & TIGERMOMMYCAPTAIN
NOT KANGZ N SHIETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
FUCK THIS SHOW REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

A sue of the Mary variety, duh.

I digress, a Mary Sue is an unbelievable female character within fiction, who's purpose is to make young girls say yassss queen slay. Or some such hideous, appropriated urban euphemism.

Is this as bad as everyone predicted?

/thread

>people cutting heads off in the street, bombing civilians, and conducting a war of terror across a continent is the same as people that send letters, mean, and try to non-violently protest until attacked

>>Vulcan nerve pinches the captain
>Why did not it hold?
Because she's not Vulcan, they're supposed to be way stronger than humans

Surprisingly enough, no. It's pretty decent, and at lest the first two episodes are better than Enterprise. Not that that is a hard thing, but still.

why? even if you are fucking her?

I like it. Its not trek (spirit wise) but its a good space show and has a lot of space show elements (spirit wise) that are popular now.

would not she know that? Why not use a stun on her afterwards?

a chick in a movie/show that is super badass awesome etc. from the get go. Like the the girl in the new star wars

I haven't even watched this and I know she's going to be a mary sue. It's so completely obvious to anyone who's been watching shit like this unfold on tv for a couple decades. They're not in any way going to make her a deep or complicated character beyond trite predictable STRONG YASSQUEENSLAY CAP'N DONT TAKE NO KEE-RAP MMMHMMM *looks glamorously perfect while winning every time*

>she's quoting probabilities in the first 2 scenes, kid
And she gets them wrong, child

B-b-b-b-but the Crusades!

Because maybe she hasn't used it that often.

And you do have to understand, that emotionally she's still human and her logic is affected by them more than Vulcans.

What have they done to the Kilngons?

asians are honorary aryans

We don't talk about it

Wouldn't a starfleet ship have security personnel they could send to capture T'Kuvma? Makes more sense to send combat trained men instead of your 2 highest ranking command officers who are also women to a ship filled with high testosterone alpha males of color. J/s

They're trying to make them an analogy for people who are against multiculturalism.

The golden city has fallen

I like it. They're basically the hope of the entire Alpha Quadrant now and I hope they wipe the Feddies out.

The klingons aren't any one culture, they represent toxic masculinity as a whole