Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End

How did they make such a fantastic opening for an otherwise underwhelming film?

>>youtube.com/watch?v=lNRjt4rCymM

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iRja4HUsRu0
youtube.com/watch?v=G34myig954k
youtube.com/watch?v=Nk1z83D-Euk
youtube.com/watch?v=z9BL59uiAz8
youtube.com/watch?v=HhHBfIS63C0
youtu.be/MXcLybhbChQ
youtu.be/AnHXRyabx2A
youtube.com/watch?v=LX9VxBwvFFo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>"Children's" film
>Opens with the gruesome onscreen murder of a child

What did Disney mean by this?

youtube.com/watch?v=iRja4HUsRu0

Pirates 1-3 had some music kinos

was it for kids though? i know the history of it starting as a kids ride, but i recall all of them being pretty dark

>Pirates 1-3 had some music kinos
That's because Klaus Badelt came up with the main theme and Hans Zimmer composed music for the Kraken and Davy Jones.

When Zimmer works with another, his scores tend to be a full on masterpiece like Batman V Superman was and Michael Bay's underrated the Rock.

Still one of my fav movie themes of all time:
youtube.com/watch?v=G34myig954k

zimmer seems to be pretty consistently good, whats his secret?

the rest of the movie was pretty awesome too. Verbinksi's trilogy is unexpectedly kino. even years later I'm still surprised every time at the quality.

has anyone seen black sails? I've heard its breddy gud

DMC > AWE > CotBP > DMTNT >>>> OST

jack coming back to life was a total ass-pull, barbossa should've been main

DMC>CotBP>AWE>DMTNT>>>> OST

fixed that for you

It is.

Totally agreed. I rank them right up there with the original Indiana Jones trilogy as far as blockbuster adventure movies go.

Its nowhere near as campy as PotC but its good. It has a few faults though. The middle of season 1 is slow, same with a lot of the Nassau scenes throughout the rest of the show actually, the french whore is annoying as fuck and as the show goes on they try to make every character speak like Flint when the only reason it works with Flint is because the guy who plays him is a fucking fantastic actor and can pull off the 'grandiose, manipulative storyteller' angle.

STAUWP THAAHT!

THAAHTS WAAAAEEY TOOO DAAAURRK!

Orchestral tracks so grandiose they inspire awe

What possible reason could they have to hang a 10 year old kid?

Oh please he did Black Rain's soundtrack, he doesnt need to do orchestral stuff to sound good. He just needs to not be a lazy ass.

I always thought PotC would be way better without the campiness, and they seemed to lean towards a darker tone as the trilogy went on. Yeah from the trailers i saw that flint seems to be a fuckin beast, sounds like i should give it a viewin

>Son of a pirate
>Pickpocket working for pirates
Basically just association with a pirate, since they were paranoid as fuck due to jacks shit

Jack Sparrow was a bit too silly for my tastes. A lot less flailing and screaming would've done him good - he could still have crazy plans and a snappy attitude but there was definitely room to tone down the wackyness.

Pretty sure kids got sent to fucking prison colonies for less than being involved with pirates.

17th-18th century British law is somewhat harsh.

His antics worked well in the first film due to its campiness. The latter two were darker and jacks tone completely juxtaposed it, detracting dramatic tension and general ambiance. Barbossa would've been a better protag after 1 imo.

I like it how the brits are meant to be the "bad guys" here because they're hanging people

of course nobody seems to want to bring up the fact that the people they're hanging are PIRATES

you know, people whose lives revolve around stealing, raping, and murdering?

But user pirates are fun and innocent and they'd never hurt anyone. They just knock their 'victims' out with popguns and blunt cutlasses. And whenever they sink a ship they make sure its properly equipped with flotation devices.

>subdues an immortal, supernatural pirate who has controls of a beast capable of tearing any ship to shreds
>forces him to kill said beast for the safety of all others and to hunt other pirates instead
>trade flourishes and the seas become much safer
>is somehow the bad guy

In PotC, yeah they are basically authoritarian but for the greater good. Historically is another matter however

Oh please the Brits didnt do much wrong historically either.

>we dindu nuffin desmond

The Lone Ranger was kino as well. The villain is even similar to Lord Beckett.

Tell me what they did wrong then. And dont even think about bringing up slavery. Considering the brits decided in the Somerset case that slavery is illegal under their system and then proceeded to pressure every other slaving nation to give it up, going so far as to hunt down slaver ships, I think they're far from the ones to blame for that little tradition.

Verbinski is one of the most underrated Hollywood directors working today

They drove the natives from their lands. Were second to the Spanish when it came to the brutality and torture against them.

you realise criticism of past actions from that time doesnt reflect on brits today? dont deny facts, just move on

And the natives would have done the exact same thing to us if we were in their position. In fact native populations were just as brutal to each other as the brits and other colonizing nations were to them.

Fuck your 'peaceful indian' image, they were all savages.

>Dont deny facts
What facts? All I've seen so far is 'waah the Brits won and that makes them bad'.

I never thought the original was anything more than okay, and I never understood why anyone thought the sequels were so disappointing.

It's still pirates and supernatural bullshit happening in each one.

i think so too, but there is a major tone shift halfway through thats really jarring and comes out of nowhere, and johnny depp is just playing jack sparrow but indian.

Jack Sparrow was actually a bit darker in the original movie because he was on a personal quest for revenge.

DMTNT is second for me because of Barbossa getting some actual pathos finally, even if it was as the cost of his life. He was always the best character.

And maybe Kaya Scodelario's character can embrace her heritage and become more of a crazed cutthroat like her dad.

i forgot about that, shot barbossa with his one bullet. all i remebered was him fucking around at the docks at the start.

> The Rock
> Underrated

Nigga you high? Everyone loves The Rock.

they really wasted blackbeards potential, especially after the flame boat scene. i thought it was gonna be a chekovs gun scenario where jack burns him alive

I don't fucking remember anything from that one, and I've seen it twice.

This series could've potentially been a more episodic thing, but the first one just had to come out in the era of trilogy madness.

how this successed while master and commander flop?

On Stranger Tides was such a letdown. I was so hyped to see them go after the fountain of youth after the ending of At World's End.
youtube.com/watch?v=Nk1z83D-Euk

just to clarify im talking about OST

No, retard. Its not about "peaceful indian" myth.

Its a simple fact - because of british colonialism thousands of cultures and people were wiped off the face of the earth. Now why does that fact make you so butthurt you start screaming "wwaah waaah indians were evil to begin with!"

Nice to see the argument there champ. Everyone who whines about colonialism and how evil europeans were during that time are faggots who dont understand that thats how the world was back then. If mongolia was in the position Britain was it would have been genghis khan 2; the khananing.

>mfw The Rock theme

I agree Zimmer works with someone else.

It's the combination of high seas piratey adventure with supernatural elements. Really it's one of the very few Disney rides where turning it into a movie wasn't a dumb concept.

I didn't even say anything. In truth I think it's sad Britain gave up all its power so willingly.

Kid's have always loved gruesome stuff.

Its simple evolution user. The thousands of cultures that were wiped out by the Brits are a drop in the bucket compared to the millions and millions we've lost since the beginning of civilization due to natural disasters and the conquests of others. Our current moral climate doesnt change the fact that when you get down to it the British Empire wasnt anything special when it came to how it dealt with its conquered subjects. Hell I'd say they were even quite enlightened about it.

Constantly saying that they're evil is just stupid. Not only is it moral relativism at its finest it ignores several important British historical decisions such as the west africa squadron.

fuck the indians those misogynists were burning the wives of dudes who died. brits put those indos in their place

Moral absolutism*

It was by far my favorite Magic Kingdom ride as a kid. Still is.

>won’t somebody think of the children?!
They’re rated PG-13 faggot. Little kids shouldnt have even been watching. And don’t even come at me with
>duuuur I saw terminator when I was 6!

Well considering Disney has been censoring their pirates ride for over a decade now, I wouldn’t be surprised if they want you to think the pirates are the GOOD guy
>taking out the auction scene because it makes fatties feel bad
>turning the redhead into a pirate leader because “muh badass female role models”

>legal execution
>murder
What did he mean by this?

How do you feel about them removing everything that makes the pirates pirates?

Welcome to your introductory on Cultural Marxism and the current subversion of western civilization.

>that shot of the nigress singing in the crowd
they just can't help themselves can they?

Why would someone shoot a man before hanging him

Yeah that is kind of shitty. Like who actually complained about that?

>Verbinski is one of the most underrated Hollywood directors working today
He's nowhere near the GOATs of blockbuster filmmakers like Spielberg, but he's like a slightly better version of Stephen Sommers.

AWE > DMC > CotBP >>>>> OST >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DMTNT

is the only correct rating.

Not sure. It definitely screams
>won’t someone think of the children!
When in reality nobody was complaining and everybody loved the ride

black people did exist back then

they literally explained that all rights to trial are suspended and they are executing everyone they think is a pirate

It was a retarded opening. Far to melodramatic.

I remember getting to the part where the officer says "Sir! they've begun to sing" and I turned to my friend and went DEAR GOD!!! and our entire theatre row cracked the fuck up.

Sad to say that wasn't the last time we laughed in disbelief during that shit show film

That was garbage OP. Why you make me watch it?

it was obvious he was coming back but they could have done it better. Would have been cooler if he lived several months in the Krakens belly like Jonah and the whale and they cut it open and find him

So you, your friend, and possibly a third friend giggled in the theatre? Master comedian.

ya p much. I mean the point of the story isnt about comedic timing its about a melodramatic movie scene opening its self up to easy jokes.

haHAA 12 in May btw haHAA

The newest one was definitely not for kids. Sex jokes everywhere.

>not realizing that the song called the Brethren Court together, allowing Beckett to eliminate all the major pirates off in one swoop
Lemme guess, you also thought the Star Wars prequels were too "confusing".

well they are the bad guys so........

Zimmer and Junkie XL is match made in heaven.

youtube.com/watch?v=z9BL59uiAz8

>sitting in movie theatre with family
>watching pirates of the caribbean movie
>scene where pirates sing as a sign of poignant rebellion against british authoritarianism comes up
>Sir! They've started to sing
>some fuckhead in the row behind me yells DEAR GOD into his friends face, spitting his diet coke all over him
>friend laughs out of nervousness from the autism he just witnesses
>dickhead starts saying it over and over trying to get a reaction out me and family
>i tell my kids to just laugh out of pity so i can continue watching this kino

>youtube.com/watch?v=HhHBfIS63C0

(You)

I hate niggers who do this.

Imagine an R-rated PotC movie

>an otherwise underwhelming film?
This meme needs to stop. There are plenty of great stuff in all 3 movies, even though the first one is the best of the bunch.

This was yet another kino scene. Third one also has the best theme.
youtu.be/MXcLybhbChQ
youtu.be/AnHXRyabx2A

Oh for fuck sake. It's a PIRATE movie, it's about adventure and the sense of freedom and mischief. Have you forgotten your childhood?
>cultural marxism
you people are as bad as the sjw now good god

>The Rock
It's so weird to think about the three guys in the poster
Nic Cage has fucked off doing really, really bad films, Connery is an old senile fuck, yet Ed Harris doesn't look a day older and still does only side roles

The ride ends with pirates burning down an innocent town, killing its soldiers and auctioning off its women.

patricians have always known he did nothing wrong

>they treated subhuman savages like they're subhuman savages
so. fucking. what-

So what's the explanation for Jack and Barbossa both being pirate lords if Barbossa was Jack's first mate?

Out of my way Pleb shits, true Pirate Kino coming through.
youtube.com/watch?v=LX9VxBwvFFo

>And those buccaneers drowned their sins in rum, the devil himself would have to call 'em scum!
>Every man on board would have killed his mate for a bag of guinnys or a piece of eight, a piece of eight, a piece of eight

Those are some really good lyrics

Hans Zimmer, fampai.

That death scene is legit.

Back when?
When Bilbo went to the Lonely Mountain?

The only black people then were corsairs and haradrim and usually killed on sight.