What are your thoughts on Atlantis: The Lost Empire Sup Forums?

what are your thoughts on Atlantis: The Lost Empire Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

newgrounds.com/lit/atlantis.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It was shit
SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

>Fern Gully
>This
>Avatar
Can anyone name another movie with this sort of theme?

I thought it was good, probably one of my favorite animated Disney movies

> Borrowed from Nadia of the Blue Water, but not too heavily.
> Very jerky pacing.
> Good assortment of characters straight out of a 50s pulp comic
> 1st Disney princess who tried to stab someone to death.
> Bonus points for a nice horrific death for the villain
> Led to a lot of lady boners for bookish blonde professors with glasses and good hair.

Dances with Wolves. Same director as Avatar, by the way.

What? Fern Gully and Avatar are nothing alike ATLE. Atlantis is more like Indiana Jones if anything.

Is that the first Atlantis movie or the second one?
>I only remember the crazy blue precursor vehicles from the movies

I mean, the heroes do team up with the natives, but there are a few major differences, for example it's not colonials looking to steal land, they're scavengers looking to steal what they think is a weapon, and the natives aren't noble savages, they were a militaristic superpower that caused their equivalent of a nuclear apocalypse and sent themselves to the stone age

I think he meant the plot line of a Westerner integrating himself with a tribe of nobel savages, eventually coming to realize his own culture is terrible because very cherry-picked examples of Western culture keep fucking things up for the tribe.

It was also used in The Last Samurai as well.

Except this culture is actually hilariously more advanced than our and kinda ugly on its own too.

Atlantis is a pretty standard advanced ancient race remnant trope, which doesn't feature into Avatar-like stories.

Lost Empire is the first, Milo's Return is the second

>Milo's Return is the second

I'm fairly certain no such thing exists

The secound "movie" is nothing but three episodes of a tv series, that got never realized, glued together

>what are your thoughts on Atlantis: The Lost Empire Sup Forums?
Treasure Planet is way better

nice begining and middle but bad part final.

Like I said, doesn't exist

Best Disney princess

Wrong

We're arguing semantics at this point, but they did hunt with Tikki masks and stone knives/spears. They still practiced ancestor worship, and I don't recall seeing any organized agriculture other than fishing. While they did have magic healing and flying statues, I don't think they were going for fallen future society so much as fallen magical tribe.

I think of shit like El Hazard or Gene Wolf's books when I think of fallen advanced civilizations. There's probably got to be a doomsday machine or a crashed spaceship for that setting.

I think that marvel is cancer and should be killed

Pretty ok. Some great landscape shots and some cool lookin' goons though.

Atlantis, Treasure Planet, and Princess Mononoke were my holy trinity of cartoons back in the early 00s.

All of the girls are top-tier. Other than that, it's good, but nothing outstanding.

I loved the mercs. but the last third was really really shit as far as deus ex machina is concerned. "These crystals we wear around our necks control the devices with crystal shaped holes? Who could have guessed"?

In all fairness, i couldn't have written a better one though.

Despite Mignola influence, I liked it better when it was Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water

If you would have a key around your neck, you wouldn't spend all your free time sticking it in every lock you came across.

>implying they both weren't based on Jules Verne

its the Stargate of anime.

There's a bit more that connects ATLE to Nadia than the Verne origin.

It should've. Tad Stones had the chance to do a straight action cartoon. He did all the best stuff for Disney TV back in the 80's/90's. The show was also slated to have a guest appearance by Demona, being pursued by the Canmore Hunter of that time.

If Elsa can still be in the lineup as a queen, Kida should be there too.

Well I did compare it to Indiana Jones primarily.

But the point is still that ATLE has none of Avatar/FernGully messages or themes running through it. It's not about the environment, it's not about colonialism or exploitation. It's basically about grave robbing, with the unique twist that the people whose grave is being robbed are still alive.

Helga reminded me of Elsa from Last Crusade

That is one badly-drawn C96 Mauser.

I'd come down her chimney if you know what I mean.

Why are German girls the best?

>Vinnie
>Helga
>Mrs. Packard
>Anna

Best characters. Anna is waifu matrial.

>Anna
meant Audrey. She was apparently renamed in my country.

Vinny is one of my all time favourite disney characters

Kickass animation.

It's likely the only Disney movie that could really benefit from a live action remake

This started my strong sexy suave dangerous women fetish.

It's also the only i'd actually go see.
Man, action movie of the year. Gonna get shotdown for white guy with colored love interest though.
But fuck that i wan't disney.

Nothing personal

Let's play: spot the main characters

>I think he meant the plot line of a Westerner integrating himself with a tribe of nobel savages, eventually coming to realize his own culture is terrible because very cherry-picked examples of Western culture keep fucking things up for the tribe.

But Atlantis are advanced, and Meelo doesnt have anything particulary against the modern world.

Mooks > Main Characters.

It's a personal favorite, and not just for Audrey.

M Night Shyamalan directed Dances with Wolves?

It was great until they got to Atlantis

I thought the Leviathan was so fucking cool when I was a kid

She's pretty great. One of the few Disney heroines that actually does shit.
Named my female Araquanid "Kidagakash" since I'm naming all my pokemon this gen after Disney characters.

However, she's really not a princess in any regard.
The movie didn't do good enough for Disney to decide to make Kida one of the official "Disney Princesses"
Technically, Anna and Elsa aren't either, for now. Their shit was so popular that Disney hasn't felt the need to give them an "official coronation" at Disneyworld as members of the Disney Princesses.
They're certainly in line though.

maybe she just had her made custom?

It's pretty impressive that you knew what gun it was, I thought it was a luger.

>I thought it was a luger.
user plz

Yeah, no.

Not an argument.

And HERE'S the badly-drawn Luger!

As good an argument as was made.

I just watched this film a couple of days ago for the first time in years. The story and the characters are great and the designs are top-notch. But it’s WAY too fast paced! (Especially the first half.) There were a lot of well tough out designs and they even managed to squeeze some character development for the side characters, but it still felt like they just fast forwarded trough the whole thing.

Loved everything about Atlantis and it's story except for one major fuck up
>Oh look, we discovered an ancient race of people with ancient tech
>Let's fucking kill them to be rich and famous, rather than introducing them into the world to be rich and famous
This was Westerners-are-evil-for-the-sake-of-being evil and it only hurt the story. Then we got the painful Michael-Fox leading the fight scenes...

Would've been awesome if there was something else to fight. A swarm of those Leviathans? A splinter Atlantean group that didn't want to return to the world? Those guardian-faces deciding "Fuck this, throw the stone giants at them".

Really, I'd have taken anything.

What a coincidence that somebody made this thread.
I'm playing the ps1 game right now.

Only 3 or 4 levels to beat the game now.

I'm gonna beat it for the sake of it, because the game lacks elements other than the characters and story to keep the player interested and engaged.
Most of the game is walking back and forth finding locks to open doors and missing pieces of random stuff to open more doors until you open one big final door to get to the next level.

Not "badly-drawn"; *simply* drawn.

NEO ATLAN

Not gonna lie.
When Disney designs a uniform force of mooks, they fucking do it right. I'd love to wear this shit playing paintball or for Halloween.

A 6/10 movie that is overrated by plebs

TF2, the movie

Granted I don't much about animation but the shapes are pretty wonky. Part of that Luger looks like the front of a Colt 1911.

>tfw you realize he's right

I'm sure Atlantean girl with a magical stone that she alone activates isn't enough... I mean this was a big controversy for a reason.

It's not "GUNZ: THE MOVIE", tho.

>big controversy

Manufactured controversy.

This movie taught me to love older women and brown women

Best movie

>manufactured controversy
Like 90% of them.

It's not good, but it's not bad either. It's a very okay movie.

There's the similar attire of the female leads.

Amusingly, in Nadia this is literally a circus costume.

I don't understand what you're so upset about, user. Look, the director had to actually put out a statement about it. His response being that he'd never heard of it.

Maybe but the writers...

>Atlantis: The Lost Empire similarities to Nadia: the Secret of Blue Water is totally a manufactured controversy, guys, all similarities are pure coincidence

newgrounds.com/lit/atlantis.html

Typical Exotic Girl outfit.

>upset

You don't interact with humans much, do you?

>the director had to actually put out a statement

"Had to"? I suppose with a whipped-up manufactured Internet frenzy going on about nothing.

It sucks that this movie was intended to be a ride at Disney World but now instead we have a Finding Nemo ride instead.

It has some flaws, sure. But I really like it. It's basically the plot to Stargate with a pulpy Lost Race/Civilisation twist and just because of that I'd forgive faults much greater than this movie actually has. Pulp is great.

Atlanteans shouldn't be depicted as coloureds. More as some proto-white race with their light hair, eyes and rather unpronounced facial features.

My main problem was that people who'd been alive at the time of Atlantis sinking had forgotten how to read their own goddamn language and work their techno-magic.

>manufactured internet frenzy going on about nothing
>manufactured internet frenzy
>internet
Ummm...
Buddy, I know the internet's been a big thing since 1995, but it wasn't so large as to cause controversies and lead to mememagic like it does today, since the movie came out back in 2001.

Oh, yeah, that too. Add that to my postYou don't fucking forget to read a language that easily. Especially if it's all over the place in the only city you live in for the last few thousand years and is essential for business, commerce, or reading to eliminate the downtime you WILL eventually have in the 2,000 years of your life.

No one's saying the movie's bad user, they're just saying at least one or two people on that project must've gotten a little inspiration from Nadia. And like you said earlier, they're both inspired by Verne anyway.

I assumed it was some forced magical memory loss, not just them "forgetting."

One of the best Disney characters ever.

This film is grossly under appreciated.

Fairly certain that a proto-race would be darker skinned. If we take all the skin colors of the world and line them up on a shader wouldn't it be more plausible the skin tone would more properly be set around... oh... Middle Eastern? The white hair thing was dumb, granted.

But dark skinned girls with white hair is my fetish

I was OBSESSED when this came out. I got a little plastic diving Leviathan toy out of a cereal box. It hangs out on my work desk now.