$20 for a VHS

>$20 for a VHS

JUST

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/pA7gvhwC9RI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Every one back then was stupid enough to pay for media and the jews paved the streets with gold because of it

People rented

90s kid here. CDs were like $16-$17 as well.

I don't remember ever seeing VHS tapes costing that much for Hollywood movies. $20 was what I would pay for anime VHS tapes (well, $30, but in CAD, which was roughly $20 USD at the time), which I remember thinking was really expensive.

>$70 for a videogame disc
lol crazy, what kind of dumbass would fall for that?

$24.99 for DVD

People still pay for VHS.

I make my money solely as an EBAY reseller, mostly older PC games and DVD's, but there is a demand for VHS as well. Some recent sales:

>The Land Before Time
Paid 50 cents, sold it for $20
>Notting hill
Paid 25 cents, sold it for $15
>Pokemon the Movie and Pokemon 3
Paid 50 cents each, sold for $35 total for both

I don't know if people buy them for nostalgia or if they literally only have a VHS player.

I even sold a Nightmare on Elm Street betamax recently. Literally paid 10 cents for it at Goodwill and sold for 40 bucks.

I taped all my movies from HBO or PPV.

I forced hobos to act out the movie for me.

Look out vhs here come VX

>I don't know if people buy them for nostalgia or if they literally only have a VHS player.
It's nostalgia. It's the same deal as people buying vinyl but VHS is arguably dumber.

tfw I once spent 30 Irish pounds for a copy of Magnolia on DVD.

That's surely like 60 dollars now...

That's why rentals were a lucrative business.

>new cds costs upwards of $25
>albums used to go 10x Platinum constantly

Holy shit fuck the 90s and early 00s

I'm glad you have embraced your inner Jew.

I can't believe people still play on consoles.

>Underage think $70 for a game is expensive

Actually Video Game Prices have remained amazingly steady over the last 20 years.

I remember that brand new N64 games cost 70-80 dollars back then.

>primal rage

i used to play that with my best friend ;___;

>tfw no more carefree vidya moments with a friend

>>$20 for a VHS
You realize this is after the prices bottomed out.
The first VHS home releases were $50-100 easily.

>It's the same deal as people buying vinyl
You can make an argument for the fidelity of vinyl, especially on old releases, there is absolutely nothing VHS does better than other formats.

I think it's perfectly clear he was pointing out that 19.99 for a VHS tape isn't all that exaggerated as the OP was suggesting.

how else were you going to get it?

My first DVD was The Wall (Pink Floyd) and cost $35 back in the late 90's.

Yep, fuck capitalism and all those people, and the jobs that are created as a result of the motion picture industry. Only suckers pay for media, real men pirate!

It was easy as fuck to make a copy of a VHS back then, people would rent a movie and copy it onto another tape and share that with everyone they knew. My mom's friend had a collection of hundreds of movies and tv shows she taped that we would borrow every week.

this shit cost me like 27 bucks back in the day

can you imagine paying $95 for a batman forever snes game?

What year is this from? I just used 1995 as a guess and fucking Doom would cost $153 in today's USD.

Alot of those games have extra hardware on the cartridges that the SNES didn't have, allowing them to have better graphics and junk.

yeah but you got that sweet rotatey explosion card thing

fuck yeah i did

kek i still have that somewhere actually

great fucking movie too by the way

if you wanted to buy a full tv show you had to buy every episode on a single tape IMAGINE THIS

Vinyls were even more expensive mate, going from 35 to 40.

this, chrono trigger brand new was 99.99
i had to work my ass off for months to get my greasy little hands on that bad boy. worth every penny

Toys R Us has ALWAYS been at least 10% over MSRP on everything.

>Rent it and make a copy
>Shoplifting
>Borrow a friend's copy
>Tape it off PPV or premium cable
20bux was quite a chunk of change in the 80s/90s even though tapes themselves were pretty inexpensive. Lots of people used to tape TV shows on shit-quality SLP speed tapes 6 hours at a time.

That's still hanging on the wall in my old room at my parents, right next to the jurassic park one.

Those prices are shopped and adjusted for inflation. Those are how much they would in today's money, back then they were about $50.

>Lots of people used to tape TV shows on shit-quality SLP speed tapes 6 hours at a time.
I have the complete buffy universe on VHS somewhere in storage. Perfectly edited out the commercial breaks and credits.

Pokemon Stadium was like $80, and I remember many N64 games were $60-70. Don't lie, bro. SNES games were even worse.

youtu.be/pA7gvhwC9RI

That's really not a lot for a recent release, regardless of format.

Try $100.

Thats closer to what rental places paid for their tapes.

Good luck.

They only did full vhs releases on very few shows.

But it wasnt 1 episode per tape anyways. There would be 2-4 depending.

>
Underage nigga actually believe this.

This. I was a 90s kid and the rental place had these small, free trade-magazines for the new product coming down the pipe. Whatever the new batch of VHS and SNES/Genesis games were, these rags gave a little synopsis and some trade information. they also listed MSRPs on the order of $100bux, just like the other user said. It made absolutely no god-damn sense to me but I figured that that must be the going rate for rental joints.