Whats a good x men run for a beginner trying to get into the franchise?

whats a good x men run for a beginner trying to get into the franchise?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!5kJFCBjJ!TG-NaDE3TdmkZ_uVOkD3eg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Claremont's first run.

Giant size X-men followed by Claremont. Anything else is wrong. You get all the iconic moments

morrison's new x-men followed by whedon's x-men. that is 2000-2005 x-men more or less.
after that came House of M which is the greatest tragedy to happen to the franchise.
the best run is Claremonts, he made the X-Men the most popular best selling comic book and wrote them for 17 years, which is a lot of material to read. he also wrote new mutants.

I guess you could try to get the Phoenix saga and Dark Phoenix saga from him.

the most recent very good run is Gillen's Uncanny X-Men, from around 2011 iirc, it ended with the Avengers vs X-Men event, although he got to write Consequences of Avengers vs X-Men which was pretty good.

Claremont or the Lobdell Runs are good entrees.

Starting with Giant-Size X-Men #1/the Claremont run is almost a requirement.

It's not just that it's the best, either.
It was so definitive for the team that everything else ends up pulling from his stories a lot.

Giant Size X-Men #1->X-Men #94 onward

Just start with Bendis' Amazing Xmen. Iceman is ga y now! Its awesome!!!

>Lobdell
>good

>Giant-Size
No, it's a pretty bad story IMO so is the following Count Nefaria story. Start with UXM #97 which is a few issues after and where you can properly count Claremont's run as starting since it's what introduces the more cosmic elements like the Shi'ar, it's the start of what leads to Phoenix, etc.

I would say that Lobdell's run is fine up through AoA. You can abandon it after that point. His Generation X is great too.

Alright, if you want to start X-Men, I would recommend using this.

mega.nz/#F!5kJFCBjJ!TG-NaDE3TdmkZ_uVOkD3eg

It contains the beginning of the X-Men, the start of Claremont's run up to the mutant massacre

>pretty bad story IMO so is the following Count Nefaria
Character introductions and the apache's death are pretty important moments tho

>introductions
Not really necessary in that age of comics. The whole "every comic is somene's first" writing style and such. Besides, Banshee came around in the Silver Age and do you really want to subject someone to silver age X-Men?

>Thunderbird's death
Those two words say all you need to know. He was the "Wolverine" character before Wolverine and paid for it. His three issues of existence basically are him being a giant, annoying asshole and then blowing up.

read the first issue written by stan lee. then skip way ahead to roy thomas's second run and read that #55-66. then skip the reprints and read giant-sized x-men #1 by wein. then read #94 onward, thats claremonts run. if you somehow get all the way to the 90's, stop after the age of apocalypse event. some people will try to tell you there is good stuff after that, but theyre wrong.

Either this: or just go straight to Morrison's if you don't care about the history and only want "modern style writing and art".

God I wish the 94+ X-men had better art. I'm up to 180, and this shit still bothers me. I know it was good for the time and all, but damn.

Do not ever recommend Morrison's run to someone new. Morrison's run is only for people who, like Morrison, hate the X-Men. The entire run is nothing more but an extended polemic about how pointless and dumb he thinks the X-Men and their stories are.

Cockrum/Byrne/Smith/JRJr is a great run of artists you philistine and most of that (Byrne especially) still holds up today. Byrne/Terry Austin/Glynis Wein is hands down one of the best cape art teams ever assembled; Byrne's art never looked as good as it did when it was inked by Austin.

Looking at this page, I must disagree. Seriously, looks like Carol has downs.

Morrison's xmen is my favorite. Is it really that hatred by old school mutiny fans?

>denigrating Walt Simonson's art
You're just trying to b8 me now.

LOOK AT IT! Tell me what's good about THAT.

The carol face could use some work but that looks more like a slip. Classic comic book art isn't awful just because it's old.

I'm not saying it's bad because it's old, I'm saying it's bad because it LOOKS BAD. Little Nemo had better artwork, and that was over 50 years prior.

what run has your favorite art?

>Whedon
Why do you shitpost like that?

Some of the other pages of that same comic are great though, can't put the whole thing down because of it.

Claremont

start at Giant Size X-men #1

Carol punched that bitch to the moon!

There's good spin-off books after that.
Does that count?

t. buttblasted Jeanfag.

People talk shit about Whedon alot but his run is a lot of fun, perfect for noobs and doesn't try too hard to be endgy like similar runs. Not to say people don't die.He just has a lighter tone to it.

Uncanny X-men 281 and up alongside X-men (Legacy) 01 and up.

Blue and Gold teams, good start.

My favorite too. First Xmen arc I ever read, turned me from casual to collector

New Xmen into Astonishing is a great storyline

I started with Morrison. It's easy to get into if you've seen the movies and are familiar with the characters. The plot was kinda eh though. Not a fan of the art either. Looking back, I dont know why I liked the book in the first place