The Orville

So it's pretty apparent at this point that the critics had it out for this show from the very beginning just because MacFarlane created it.

Meanwhile Star Trek: Discovery got rave reviews from the same people that trashed The Orville and it's premiered to abysmal ratings and a mediocre reception by viewers.

Why do we even listen to those overpaid jackasses anymore?

It's like BVS all over again

>tfw the highest rated review on imdb for STD talks shit about orville

the review is a cookie cutter shill review

People had a different opinion than you, you'll get over it

Yea it's either a massive calculated and coordinated conspiracy or maybe Orville is shit and ST:D was surprisingly decent.

>normal person
>hmm my opinion is different than others, that's ok because much of these things are subjective based on personal taste

>OP
>how dare anyone think differently than me, my small insecure mind cannot accept this

Just read this and think that this is what they think a genuine review looks like

>I don't think The Orville is terrible, but I do think that at present, there's unfortunately a greater appetite for its brand of lightweight, glitzily produced bros-in-space Trek than there is for a complex and tonally somber prequel featuring two non- white female leads.

But BVS got shat on by critics, front-loaded its audience figures heavily, and ultimately underperformed because of bad word of mouth.

Discovery was pretty well praised by the critics I've seen. I don't think it was really all that great, but then most shows aren't hitting their stride fully in the first two or three episodes any way.

So far I prefer The Orville, but the biggest problem with Discovery is that the first two eps were pretty much just prequel ads for the series proper where we will get to meet the real (aside from Doug Jones' character) cast and crew of the series.

seems you're paying more attention to critics than most people did

I think it was a good idea to focus on just a couple characters in the pilot since they tend to be overstuffed anyway.

Ugh when will this trend die, you shit on people because you assume they only like stuff with white leads? Bitch I've seen every episode of homeboys in outer space and red dwarf both with black leads.
Fucking stupid shit assuming everyone's racist and sexist because your show is shit.

In terms of characters and plot sure, but I think flashbacks over time to tell the story would have been better and you could start with the "proper" crew sooner that way rather than just have Michelle Yeoh limited and lose Crewman Daft Punk who could have been interesting. It kinda sucks that the first "real" episode of the show will be its third, which is generally the point at which they start finding their feet. Could be ep five to seven before they really start going anywhere.

>WB's fifth highest grossing movie at the time
>hurr durr it underperformed because I said it did

okay bud

>it's either a massive calculated and coordinated conspiracy

Critics being homogeneous isn't a conspiracy, they all live in Brooklyn or San Francisco and exist in the same opinion bubbles.

> Orville is shit

Viewer reception has gone nowhere but up over the past month, despite what iO9 and The AV Club want you to think. Even the comment sections on iO9 episode reviews are filled with comments calling out the writer for having an axe to grind.

>ST:D was surprisingly decent

I honestly can't find any positive viewer reviews that don't feel like astroturfing.

The audience score on RT has been dropping since the premiere.
People don't want this "FUCK YES IT'S LIKE GoT!" type television for Star Trek

is STD to star trek what stargate universe was to the stargate franchise?

Wait, are they really putting a show that nerds like behind a paywall? Normies that pay for shit don't watch sci-fi. Name any series that is sci-fi no matter how obscure there are a million streams up. Ever hear of Blake's 7? Neither did I bug I watched it all online

It did not perform as well as expected. Ergo, it underperformed.

Come on, let's be real here. Fucking /Deadpool/ did 30 million better domestically in the US. It was the first time Batman and Superman had been together on film. It should have done a billion globally easy, but it didn't because the word of mouth killed it.

Let the memes go. I know Sup Forums is deeply committed to contrarianism, but at some point you're going to have to admit the truth; BVS just wasn't a good movie.

Idk did people even watch after the first star gate series? My aunt and grandmother were watching and I pointed out how butch Amanda tapping is and they got all quiet. Sci-fi people lust after the ugliest if actors and actresses

It's not even GoT. It's just rolling up Kirk and Spock into one black female.

I've always theorized that Seth has a circle of Jews that support his creativity and push his work into the limelight, but the top chosen are always trying to shut down this faction of young (Turks)

Witness Seth at the oscars.
>it was average (compared to the past fifteen years)
>reeeeee, muh sexism. Worst host ever.

Not only is it behind a paywall, the first two episodes aren't even what the show will be about.

"Vulcan Hello" is the freebie and doesn't show squat about what will be happening other than that the Klingons, probably lead by Voq, are gonna be th bad guys and Michael is the main character. Other than Doug Jones the real crew and show will be totally different.

It's baffling. Almost to the point that I think executive-level warfare is trying to kill off their streaming service before it has a chance and STD is the vehicle for that.

Bvs being panned was a Jewish conspiracy according to my family. If I want to know what the Jews are up to I ask my mom who only hears about popular media through a filter of conspiracy YouTube channels and parodies.

This is what happens when IMDb closed their forums. Sure, the forums where a shitshow, but at least that was where the shit stayed most of the time.

>much of these things are subjective based on personal taste
the biggest lie ever created by hollywood so plebs can't be hurt and can remain happy sheep forever

You'll get over it you big baby

Just like you can say van Gogh's starry night is better than dogs playing poker.

kek 2 hours ago the std viewers rating was on 48% now with only 100 more people voting went to 63%
like literally how much money they are spending on this shit to justify the shilling

See

>the biggest problem with Discovery is that the first two eps were pretty much just prequel ads for the series proper where we will get to meet the real (aside from Doug Jones' character) cast and crew of the series.
...and then you will discover that this wasn't the biggest problem with Discovery, it just seemed like it because it was closer, you hadn't accounted for far away things looking small.

> So it's pretty apparent at this point that the critics had it out for this show from the very beginning just because MacFarlane created it.

Wrong. The critics and viewers don't like it because it's shit.

It's okay to be wrong.

The way people obsess over % numbers is so sad

If they don't matter to you, why did you enter this thread?

thats what happens the RT isnt transparent

To laugh at people who think critic reviews that disagree with them are a conspiracy.

> numbers, numbers, meaningless numbers
That proves nothing. Only thing that matters is ratings and they've already tanked after only 3 episodes.

Literal void of a show

It was moved to a new night with little promotion outside of social media.
Don't give me that bullshit.

It's hilarious how much this is gonna piss people off

> Obvious vote rigging is obvious by butt hurt basement dwellers.

And yet Trek will be the one that gets renewed while Orville will be lucky to last the season.

>he cares even a little bit about the opinions of """critics""""
Are you fucking retarded OP

personally I think orville is better than discovery, but star trek has a history of rough starts, but getting better with time.

Orville has that comfy feeling I get from tng, while discovery feels more like enterprise, right now at least

>HEY GUYS, THIS PEICE OF TURD SMELLS NICER THAN THAT PEICE OF TURD BUT THE CRITICS GOT IT BACKWARDS
>EVERYONE HAS TO SPLIT UP INTO TEAMS NOW FOR TURD A VS. TURD B
>TURD B'S TEAM IS WAY BETTER. COME SMEAR IT ON YOUR FACE AND NIBBLE ON THESE SHIT NUGGETS
>IF I SEE YOU SO MUCH AS LICK THE OTHER TEAM'S TURD, I'LL SHITPOST YOUR THREAD YOU FUCKING SHILL

The Orville will survive. FOX can move it to FXX.
Discovery will get a season two just to spite everyone, yet no one will watch it still.
It's like Supergirl. Ratings are in the absolute gutter but they refuse to cancel it.

...Dude, you might be a fecalpheliac.

i can totally see it on it

>only thing that matters is ratings

What's life like back in 1965?

Don't you mean stargate infinity :)

The last episode cought me off guard, loved everything except Seth's ex wife acting (she is terrible). I used to hate Seth, but after 3 episodes of Orville my opinion stand corrected

first season of sgu was fucking beverly hills 90210

but after that it was ok

Wtf are talking about?

And yet he is the only one in this thread who has realized that dualism game and that there is always a third option (which is mostly closer to the truth).

This. Both of these shows are terrible and a disgrace to Star Trek.

2017 is the year we could have had a new Trek show, and a TV equivalent of Galaxy Quest.
Instead we got "GoT in Space" and "King of Queens in Space." Just fucking kill me already.

>My aunt and grandmother were watching and I pointed out how butch Amanda tapping is and they got all quiet.

This is true autism.

Yes, nobody watched after s1. That's why it ran for 10 seasons and spawned Atlantis and SGU.

Fucking retard.

Wow what a faggot that guy is.
>"if you don't like jarring student level cinematography, ham fisted surface level social commentary and complete derision for the universe of this classic franchise you're on the wrong side of our bold and progressive history.

>PS fuck Drumpf"

review is pure cancer

STD had 2 episodes to craft a single likeable character and failed miserably.

Orville had 3 episodes to turn Seth fucking Mcfarlane into a believable starfleet captain and actually succeed.

What the fuck world are we living in.

that can't be fucking real
*steals meam*

Orville was never ever ever going to get a fair shake. It really is all because MacFarlane. Hell, even my wife trashed it for the same reason. She literally sat down, started watching it, laughed at the scene, he walked on screen and she said "Wait, Seth MacFarlane is in this?" and I replied yeah he made it. She immediately said, "Well, its horrible." got up and walked away.... So basically yeah, same thing.

You're wifes a faggot dude. Invest in a new one asap.

>But BVS got shat on by critics
Obviously, he was comparing it to The Orville. How was that not obvious?

>this show from the very beginning just because MacFarlane created it
There are much worse reasons that aren't entirely justifiable to dislike a show.

t. biased person accusing others of being biased

Its because you Drumpftards politicize everything

fuck off shill. its a garbage sjw show.

>an odd jumble of campiness and sincerity, homage and satire, the orville never quite achieves liftoff.
vs
>although it takes an episode to achieve liftoff, marketspeech marketspeech

jesus christ talk about biased.

orville is the epitome of star trek, campiness sincerity and some satire, while STD is trying to be star wars the show.

>That disconnect between critics and viewers
Absolutely raunchy.

Lol because in Star Wars they stand around and discuss how to talk to the enemy

Watched The Orville earlier while eating dinner. How did this get negative ratings? It's a comfy sci-fi show. My only criticism two episodes in is that some jokes can be pretty forced sometimes. But otherwise I find it pretty compelling.

Wow, if she is like this just watching TV, I can't image how terrible she is in other parts of your relationship. She seriously acts like a child.

There are art experts that would split your skull open for making such a shitty comparison. Those are two different schools/movements. Both have the reputations they do because of cultural influences, not because one is inherently (or objectively) better than the other. Van Gogh wasn't selling millions of calendars, prints and postcards back when he painted that stuff. People didn't "get it" until we developed a more "emotional" approach to painting and art. And the dogs image just persisted in pop culture.

Fun Fact: both paintings were done around the same time. One was by a no-name dutch artist who died penniless. The other was painted for a cigar company. Both are as recognizable as each other even today. Just the dogs painting doesn't have the connection to a famous painter, or the prestige associated with fine arts, because it was a commercial work.

trade agreements

Fuck you, King of Queens is GOAT

>had it out for this show from the very beginning just because MacFarlane created it.
Are you fucking stupid? Normies love MacFarlane and his trite.

>Meanwhile Star Trek: Discovery got rave reviews from the same people that trashed The Orville

It's almost like one is actually good and the other is trash! Wow, if I only I didn't see the world through such a thick personal political bias!

Nah, the pilot sucked and a lot of people don't watch past that, mate.

I was super hyped and that pilot was a MAJOR let down. But I actually know pilots can suck for a TON of different reasons so I kept watching and I loved the next two eps.

Now I've got TWO great Star Trek shows on and I couldn't be happier

Did you even watch the show?

The Orville is trash and horribly unfunny, Seth McFarlane is NOT a leading man

you ever think it's not trying to be THAT funny on purpose?

Aka lightsaber battles

He was surprisingly good in ep 3

>I was super hyped
There's your problem.
>Anime picture
>thinking either of these shows are "great"
You're 12, aren't you? Don't lie now.

Seth said it would be more like an actual naval ship in term of atmosphere...and those people joke and aren't serious at all 99% of the time. They're only serious for real engagements. People joke and talk about their cats/butts/funny smells and the like on deck.

>Not realizing Sup Forums was created because of anime
>Even caring about what is in any kind of reaction image when the point is the reaction

Die soon in great pain

Honestly blew me away. He repeatedly managed to exude actual authority. You can really tell he spent a lot of time studying the old star trek captains.

new

>"Muh Sup Forums anime origins" deflection

>Deflection
>Stating the origin of the site as being for Sup Forums meaning it will always have a place here is somehow inappropriate to whining about someone posting anime

Your mind is small and closed

A lot of the critical reception boils down to it being a Seth MacFarlane show. It's fashionable for reviewers to shit on him since Family Guy became mediocre and there's a lot of animosity towards him in Hollywood after his Academy Awards hosting.

I think that his reputation compounded with the show being a drama with occasional comedy thrown in really messed with people's expectations. They don't take it seriously because of the jokes but then say that it's not funny (reinforcing what they thought going in).

Can't speak for STD because I've not watched the pilot and I won't be paying for CBS All Access.

Regardless, audiences are enjoying it and I hope the ratings keep up, I enjoy the show thoroughly.

Go watch some Akira you stupid faggot

>Still deflecting
12 year old it is.

I sincerely hope you're not implying that Akira is some peak anime.

Nobody had to answer you to begin with, retard.

Respond to this if you're under 18

>She seriously acts like a child.
>because she walked out on some stupid guy she didn't wanted to see
Not that guy or wanting to cuck that guy, but you are wrong.
You literally, really and actually put up with people that disgusted you simply because "it's the adult thing to do!"?
You must be retarded or something.

>It's almost like one is actually good and the other is trash!

Everyone already knows that one is good and the other is trash, critics are just pretending that everyone else is wrong about which is which.

Discovery and Orville are both good fun. I hope they both get 7 seasons and a funny crossover short between the casts.

Are you me?

Anyone who likes Seth mcfarlane or anything he's put together doesn't belong here