Why is concept art amazing and the final product comparatively disappointing?

Why is concept art amazing and the final product comparatively disappointing?

shits expensive

Why spend more when you can make just about the same for cheaper?

It's not about expense

It's about marketability and merchandising.
"Interesting" ideas are interesting because they different. They stand out. They catch they eye.
But for every person that likes it, someone doesn't
So to maximize appeal, you need to make things that don't really stand out. They need to pop just the right amount. Disney spends millions a year getting it right.

The next is moichandizing. How much of a toy can you make out of it? Can you slap it on a lunchbox and have kids immediately recognize it?

The stylized art on the left looks nice, but kids don't want something like that.
On the right they see "Princess. Blue. Happy. Cute"
That sells

Money is the deciding factor. Always will be.

I'm really doubting Frozen started that conceptual considering even animated Tangle's earliest art all more or less retained the same style.

Frozen was around during Walts time I believe, and even if that isn't true, the movie went tons of different stories, writing the whole thing and concept art to boot
So yeah, it probably looked different then the sameface we ended up with

You don't seem to understand concept art. Even if they went with the original story it was for the characters probably wouldn't have looked like that. The concept artists put forth ideas colors and costume designs. The character designers come in and polish the ideas and make them animatable.

Marketing.
Things have to be streamlined so they can sell shit.

Because (most) concept art is not "this is an example of how we want the movie to look," concept art is--well, conceptual. It is meant for inspiring and expressing ideas for character design, personalities, color schemes, feelings, relationships, moods, and so on. Concept art is often highly stylized to better evoke the concepts it's trying to create.

Them's some straight Monkey Punch lookin motherfuckers

because why bother making a new model if you can just change Rapunzel's hair and eye color

there's complicated concept art, a studio's own art style and also just pure laziness

But while thats true, I would argue most concept art actually should and does capture the styles reflected in the finished product.
For example, even though wildly different from its inception, a lot of the concept art for zootopia fits stylistically with the movie. Its not perfectly in sync, but looking at the artbook still feels like looking at part of the movie
I would say moana is also pretty good on this front
Frozen was much different, the concepts and art than went into it are lost in the movie. They feel like two different worlds.

It doesnt help that Frozen cant even really stand on its own visually, which is the real cardinal sin of the thing. I could forgive amazing concepts and art that differs from what was shown if the movie itself is also beautiful see: HTTYD or even KFP
But for all its praise Frozen was a hot mess with clipping issues, unfinished textures, and sameface models

Frozen was not a pretty movie. Theres alot of shit you coukd have down with showing Elsa's powers and the winter wonderland.

>Frozen was much different, the concepts and art than went into it are lost in the movie. They feel like two different worlds.
That's because for a long time, they had no idea what the fuck they wanted the movie to be and were spitballing different ideas and styles.

>Its not perfectly in sync, but looking at the artbook still feels like looking at part of the movie

I'm not sure what you're talking about, since the art they featured in Art of Frozen book was almost all from after the period of production time where Elsa started to become the "good" Elsa of the film, rather than the villainous earlier version. After they decided to make this change, the film was completely restructured, tonally and otherwise.

>Frozen was much different, the concepts and art than went into it are lost in the movie. They feel like two different worlds.

That's because the earlier concept for Frozen was for when the film was radically different. So, if you're looking at concept art for the film when it was more or less a totally different story, yeah it's going to be different. Same goes for almost any film.

>But while thats true, I would argue most concept art actually should and does capture the styles reflected in the finished product.

It's very rare for the style of concept art to be reflected in a film. There are exceptions, but concept art as a whole is not meant to capture the style reflected in the finished product because that's not the purpose of conceptual art. The purpose of concept art is to convey moods, feelings, impressions, to put out ideas for setting, colors, personalities, colors, etc; it's part of visual development, not a blueprint.

that image is such fucking garbage

I mean I get the point but would it have killed whoever made it to actually post real examples of this phenomenon?

surely there's a shot of elsa making a dumb face or whatever from the actual movie

>Concept Elsa will never happen

It hurts to live

Blame tangled
>WE'RE GOING TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!
>wait,we made money on tangled?
>SCRAP EVERYTHING WE'RE GOING TO DO THE SAME THING WE DID TO TANGLED ON THIS CONCEPT NOW

because it's cheaper to make things like shit.

it's also very convenient because people blame the animators and designers instead of the executives.

Can someone post the concept art for enchantress from the suicide squad film? She was so trippy and cool in those

Because OP's pic has neither actual concept art or film designs.

These are all really cluttered. I really can't imagine any of them looking good in live action, which I guess informs what we got - there was no source of good stuff to draw from for the final product.

Last one.

Did they hire Alan Moore to design her?

That said, this one is pretty cool, and fits Delevigne better. Sad we got Ms.Hot Topic instead.

Who could have forseen that?

What ? Elsa final art is a major improvement.

Shrek

I really like the black and white cross-hatched eyeballs one

He is looking kinda dumb

I wish we got that classy shorthair milffu Elsa... oh well.

Why the fuck do you keep shilling this image OP did you draw it yourself or what? It's like the 4th thread with it I've seen in the last few days

I can't lie, the "concept art" versions look like they'd be great for shipping~

>Frozen was much different, the concepts and art than went into it are lost in the movie.
user. Frozen was in development hell for literally decades, probably more than half a century. They didn't know what the fuck they were doing with it, so they tried lots and lots of different things, none of which they found didn't work.

During those decades, yes, they created various concept art attempts, found out that it didn't work at all and started again into a completely different direction. Obviously from the heaps of various concept arts it's easy to find something that doesn't look like the end product. Don't be a retard.

>found out that it didn't work at all and started again into a completely different direction.
More like, were editorially mandated to change Elsa into a kawaii princess because the song was too good.

>That Vagin-eye

Still, they were rewriting shit till 6 or 5 months before premiere, which is crazy late. They didn't know what the fuck they were doing with the movie and kept changing and tweaking shit till the last possible moment, which is why the animation is so shit in places. It was a massive clusterfuck. It's amazing that in the end it turned out to be a huge success

That explains why the whole story is so awful.

It's literally a bunch of songs stuck together with filler. The second half is weirdly paced, and they totally gloss over Elsa being shitty and stealing Anna's childhood or why the kingdom was going to fall when Elsa ran away even though she never governed in the first place.

stop being a queer. The frozen final designs were good. I jerked off in the theatre when I watched it the second time

>Elsa being shitty and stealing Anna's childhood
To be honest it's not Elsa's fault that she was born with powers and her dad made shitty decisions. Elsa wasn't shitty at all imo, it's all on the parents being retards

More like, Menzel never got the villain song right, so they had to rewrite the movie around that.