Did millennials grow up in the golden age of cartoons (1995-2006)?

Did millennials grow up in the golden age of cartoons (1995-2006)?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hMf2OXJcvhI
youtube.com/watch?v=y9K0SzFIf4A
youtube.com/watch?v=o2Z1yLO9C-Q
youtube.com/watch?v=cuos9YvAcsY
youtube.com/watch?v=8tKHlukQTik
youtube.com/watch?v=rypfHVuxuo4
youtube.com/watch?v=aASYfqP9414
youtube.com/watch?v=cWmFP4eZLXE
youtube.com/watch?v=tOlnmiayzGY
youtube.com/watch?v=fZqb4pvaZTI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is this actually trying to argue that Gen Zers are better than Millenials?

>gen Z are the complete opposite of millenials
But...why? What fucking changed? Wouldn't they be even more entitled and selfish since now millenials are grown up and have more of a presence influencing them?

isn't gen z 90s to 2000 ?

isnt the each era a decades?

Maybe in your country

I'm assuming this is from some self-affirming bullshit, someone trying to tell the kids they have potential, because I've seen no evidence of teenagers displaying any of those qualities (same as every teenager generation before them).

I can only assume it's bait, because millenial is a colloquial name for gen z-ers. they are the same group.

Nah, but all those are arbitrary as fuck anyway.

>Authors William Strauss and Neil Howe are widely credited with naming the Millennials.[1] They coined the term in 1987, around the time children born in 1982 were entering preschool, and the media were first identifying their prospective link to the new millennium as the high school graduating class of 2000.[2] They wrote about the cohort in their books Generations: The History of America's Future, 1584 to 2069 (1991)[3] and Millennials Rising: The Next Great Generation (2000).[2]

>In August 1993, an Ad Age editorial coined the phrase Generation Y to describe those who were aged 11 or younger as well as the teenagers of the upcoming ten years who were defined as different from Generation X.[4][5] According to Horovitz, in 2012, Ad Age "threw in the towel by conceding that Millennials is a better name than Gen Y",[1] and by 2014, a past director of data strategy at Ad Age said to NPR "the Generation Y label was a placeholder until we found out more about them".[6]

>In 2012, USA Today sponsored an online contest for readers to choose the name of the next generation after the Millennials. The name Generation Z was suggested, although journalist Bruce Horovitz thought that some might find the term "off-putting", but the name Generation Z gained popularity after a 2014 presentation titled Meet Generation Z: Forget Everything You Learned About Millennials, by New York advertising agency Sparks and Honey was launched. Some other names that were proposed included: iGeneration, Gen Tech, Gen Wii, Net Gen, Digital Natives, and Plurals.[1][1][5][6]

The concept of generations is fucking retarded outside of the baby boomers and is all just want to make each group feel better about themselves since they wanna be better than their successor.

I can only assume this is a parody, to be honest.
>There is nothing new under the sun

No it's not.

How comes fucking EVERYONE hates millenials?

They are basically a hate sink for everyone at this point.

To be fair, everyone hates Boomers too (difference is they deserve it), at least on Sup Forums, Buzzfeed, Reddit, Facebook, etc.

>they are the same group
Millennial as a term only applies to people old enough to remember the turn of the millennium while having said turn be during their formative years. It's not an xyz generation.

In addition, there's hardly any crossover at all with gen z.

>reach the point where the current generation's ideals and shit are completely different than the previous ones
>previous generation is like "DAMN THOSE YOUTHS"

yeah I can't figure it out before this is a real puzzler not like it's happened reliably every twenty or thirty years

>Meet Generation Z: Forget Everything You Learned About Millennials
Checking out their slides and it's pretty empty. It's basically "kids and teenagers of this generation behave like kids and teenagers WITH INTERWEBS!: the presentation".
Fuck advertisers, man.

Eh, I'd say there is some crossover. If your family was poor or middle class

My brother was born in 1999 but still remembers VHS tapes, for instance.

Also Gen-Xers. Basically when you come to the age when you're the ones working, it becomes your fault that the world is shit, while the next gen hasn't done anything yet.

Nobody is answering OP's question. But the answer is yes.

Millennials had dank shows like Avatar, Recess, and Courage the cowardly dog while Gen Z had utter shit like Chowder and Flapjack

I meant crossover in years. It's basically just late 90s.

It's the perfect excuse. Older people can ignore the fact their generations created situations that put millennials at a huge disadvantage by saying they're just entitled, and the younger people who complain about millennials are the sort of people that go to Queen YouTube videos and post about how they were born in the "worng generation" (sic)

'Millennial" is such a broad fucking term it's retarded, it's being used for people who are now 35 to 18 years old, that's such a gigantic gap between the two, especially with how things are changing at an exponential rate.

This always happens
>THE NEW GENERATIONS IS DOING THINGS I DON'T LIKE THEY MUST BE WRONG

filthy 1997 born here. I grew up watching Recess and Avatar as well, only difference is I watched them as a child not during my formative young teens.

90s era was still pretty meh. I'm a millenial but I always prefered Bugs Bunny to Animaniacs, and I was so bored by Avatar I dropped it while it aired.

Eh, I'd say it's people who are 20/21-34

Because under 20 or 21, they don't remember 9/11, and that's considered a hallmark of Millennials (we remember 9/11, but were still in school at the time)

>that's such a gigantic gap between the two
Not really, that's about the usual gap between 2 generations since, you know, a generation means one c an be the next one's father.

>when literal underage on Sup Forums try to argue they are better than millennials
lmao

That's still a pretty gigantic gap with how fast technology changes, I'm 25, and for most of highschool no one had phones till like grade 9-10ish then they started becoming popular, and things like youtube and shit were only starting to get popular. Someone who's 20 now probably had a smartphone much earlier, and grew up with way more social media shit going on.

These ideas of "generations" are pretty linked with how technology and the world is, and tech is growing at an exponential rate so generations should be shorter. I'm not even old and I remember shitty old dial up connections and how shitty the internet used to be, someone born 5-8 years later probably never had that and also had a much more connected world with how fast social media grew.

I still think the whole idea of generations is retarded, grouping an entire set of people based on when they were born as if that relates them at all.

I think they mixed up those key factors a bit especially the dependent and idealist part

>12-18 years old
>self-reliant
How the fuck would they even know? 99% of them are probably living with their parents still.

Well, i'm 21 and I remember my family having dial up until 2006, and I don't have a smartphone. I have a flip phone in my pocket right now, in fact.

But I'm not sure if I'm just a special snowflake among my age group, or if 21 year olds had vastly different upbringings from 20 year olds.

We don't know the worth of Gen z yet. Nice falling into the trap of thinking your gen is better than others though

Boomers are finally beginning to be forced out of the job market they've been squatting on like a siphilitic vulture for the past fifty years or so, and millenials are, theoretically, the generation just entering said job market the boomers are ripping to shreds with their desperate clinging talons as they're pulled away.

Generation X had to put up with the above, only to have Millenials whining and bitching way more loudly than Gen X ever managed to (and god knows they tried really really hard at it), even as said millenials are trying to claim the potential opportunities the siphilitic vulture is finally vacating, potentially swooping in ahead of the Gen X types that've been waiting for them for decades.

Children are being bombarded with fucking millenial internet/media garbage everythere they go.

It's the perfect storm, really.

This is not a serious analysis.

My fucking elementary school classes had numbers like that in the fucking 80s.

How exactly is this supposed to be exceptional or unusual?

FUCKING ADVERTISERS. FUCK THEIR DEMOGRAPHIC BULLSHIT.

I agree.

I'm sick of this "arbitrarily divide people up by years" or "hurr durr millennials are so terrible" bullshit. I wish Sup Forums would send a swarm of spambots on all the demographers and media moguls who push this shit.

>I'm not even old and I remember shitty old dial up connections and how shitty the internet used to be, someone born 5-8 years later probably never had that and also had a much more connected world with how fast social media grew.
I'm just not sure that translates to differences as big as people think.
I remember dial-up too, hell I remember life without any internet or mobile phones at all, but I still get all of my entertainment from the internet these days and work with it every day, and use social media.

>I still think the whole idea of generations is retarded, grouping an entire set of people based on when they were born as if that relates them at all.
Well yeah it's a social sciences thing that's basically only there to fill research papers.

Based on the entertainment we're trying to ween Gen Z on they're already a lost cause. And it's our fault.

over here, we refer to 90s kids as millennials. 80s are old.

>The generation that grew with the internet is just the sames the one that was born with facebook and an iPad in their hands
Really gets my neurons working...

Thought I was on Sup Forums for a second with this trash thread

there should be a line between people who developed between 94-2001 and the ones who matured between 2001-2009. Latter = millennials, former = 80s kids.

Big tech cultural divide between those. Dial-up vs broadband, cellphones vs smartphones, NES/SNES/PS1 vs the ps2/3/Xbox/x360Generation.

And yes, the shows.

Please stop lumping great consoles like the PS2 and original Xbox in with tapeworm-filled pieces of dogshit like the 360, PS3, and Wii.

The sixth gen of gaming has nothing in common with the seventh.

What's the actual difference though?
That they're more comfortable and used to that technology?
Then what?

A person born in 1997 wasn't born with facebook and an iPad "in their hands"

Kikebook came out in 2004 but didn't really get popular until like 2008, and the iPad came out in 2010. Childhood is considered ages 5-12, thus 97fags had a childhood that was (mostly) before social media, though their teens were indeed swamped with it

They know patience. They know how to appreciate a 1mbps connection given that they lived through the age of waiting 15 minutes to download a WAV song over IRC.

They actually know how to work tech instead of being just passive consumers that click buttons. They can troubleshoot. They know how to download and install drivers for new hardware. Etc.

The newer kids are impatient. NOW NOW NOW. And they're more casual. They're the reason why nobody makes games anymore that require more buttons than can be found on a typical console controller.

Avatar isn't a 90s show. Besides avatar and chowder aired at the same time. I'm a 1998 fag so I would now. I loved courage and avatar.

97s had Friendster, MySpace, Multiply.

80s kids were well out of college before decent social media. Unless you count having a geocities/angelfire blog with a comments section.

also, 80s kids has to deal with an age where you searched using multiple search engines. Yahoo, Webcrawler, Hotbot, Lycos, Altavista.

late 90s had Google plopped onto their laps.

>They know patience. They know how to appreciate a 1mbps connection given that they lived through the age of waiting 15 minutes to download a WAV song over IRC.
Sort of. Not in any meaningful capacity though, every 30 year old still spends time on their phone in queues and complains about how slow they are.

>They actually know how to work tech instead of being just passive consumers that click buttons. They can troubleshoot. They know how to download and install drivers for new hardware. Etc.
Bullshit.

>nobody makes games anymore that require more buttons than can be found on a typical console controller.
They do though.

t. 31 years old.

Hi, nice to meet you. I'm 36.

>They are basically a hate sink for everyone at this point.

It's like Bronies, but for real life instead of just cartoons.

So I'm sure you know people your age who had basically never touched a computer before Apple flooded the market with their ready-made stuff in the 2000s.

>utter shit like Chowder and Flapjack
You take that back, Im a millennial and I liked those shows

Gen Z is 2000+
Millenials, Gen Y, is like ~1985 - 2000

>How comes fucking EVERYONE hates millenials?
Because they're whiny and useless, which isn't really their fault but it is what it is.

They were raised with all these ideas shoved into their head that the world was gonna be great and they could do whatever they wanted with their lives. Then 9/11 and economy pains just straight up crushed their dreams. So you have a whole generation who when reaching adulthood feels lied to.

Half the shit they were told they could do, and have pursued as an education, is now obsolete or worthless. This is one of the reasons so many of them are eternally enraged about college fees. They've come to realize that outside of strong STEM jobs everything else is a waste of time - they should have been out getting experience instead.

So you have a shitload of younger people with no practical skills who were promised a lot and delivered nothing. Boomers don't like them because Boomers don't see the disconnect in how differently they were raised, Gen X just hates everyone.

>early 2000s

Apple 2, fucker

>Apple

Most ready made pc's were running Windows ie Compaq, Dell etc.

If you're gonna talk out of your ass at least look up the bare minimum on google

I guess you were just born in the wrong generation

>Friendster, Multiply.
I don't even remember this shit.

Oh no, I'm doing fine. I ended up procrastinating about what I wanted to do for a career, ended up just getting a labor job which paid well. I utterly lucked out and married a girl from a fairly wealthy family.

It seems that no matter how much I fuck up, the universe wants me to have a comfy nuclear-family life. I just make those observations based on my friends and other people my age that I know.

>12-18
>self reliant
>12
>self reliant

>12-18 years old
>self-reliant

so you don't know what your talking about and you're a loser? Got it.

yeah basically man
you should become a loser too, it's great

The millennial generation is officially 1985-present. If you're under 30, you're a millennial. Deal with it. Also, that means if you're under 30 and you complain about millennials, you're a hypocrite.

9/11 really was the turning point. Not just for Americans, but for everyone. Before then, people had hopes and dreams and there was some hope they were achievable, but after a bunch of Muslims decided to slam planes into buildings, everyone became fearful and sober. It stopped being about how to step up in the world today and started being how to survive today no matter who gets fucked over in the process.

And that's a big aspect of millennial mindsets. It's all about living in the now. The future is scary. Trust no one, especially the people in the previous generation who did this to your world. Everything is scary and difficult, but someone else will take care of it for you, so just worry about right now.

>It stopped being about how to step up in the world today

"Tomorrow," I mean.

>Don't trust anyone
>someone else will take care of it

do you even know what you wrote down?

Why does Gen Z have a parasite growing out of its head?

You're seeing the backlash though.

I'm not going to boil it down to far-right vs everyone, because its not - its anti establishment sentiments and a loss of faith in the system.

People want change, they want to go back. Yes the ideal world that they hark back to never existed but there was a time when things seemed to be improving and when society had an optimistic mindset. That is what people want again, to go back to a time when things were getting better, not worse.

They turn to alternatives - on the left and right. Its a revolution, 1848, but on democratic terms.

He's right though. Thats the sentiment at the moment. The government is full of incompetents, but there is nothing we can do except let the government sort it out.

Trouble is, the governments of the west have very little power and are totally disconnected from the public.

This is just bait.
I guess someone born between 97-00 made this piece.

>Meet Generation Z: Forget Everything You Learned About Millennials,
Doesnt this imply Millenials are Generation Z?

Even in 2014, Millenials are considered to be the advertisment-relevant target group. So Gen Z is Millenials.
Or do i have a wrong conclusion here?

Technically speaking, Gen Y are the Millenials. As in, people who grew up around 2000

The term has just been sort of corrupted, as happens, to mean basically anyone under 30.

That's a cute chun li
I was born in 1998 so yeah. A portion of my childhood was in the dark age unfortunately. At least the 2000s was a great time for vidya. The 2010s had great toons but a lot of game disappointments

After Gen X any Gen is vague bullshit that people don't ever agree on.

I mean if i follow the logic of this presentation, it makes no sense. Whoever made this presentation, its just a crap of simplyfied buzzword bullshit.

Guess so. They take and define what supports their view.

>That's a cute chun li
This description is redundant, she is a top tier and if I can get choked out between her thighs then I could finally have an end where I could truly be at peace

>its just a crap of simplyfied buzzword bullshit
are you really surprised?

>Implying that I don't want that same fate to happen to me
She is the reason I go after thick women. I want to conceive my children while my girlfriend is dressed as chun li. She is the only top choice

Kinda, because i thought it was to show what the seperations are and prove it. Not just being randomly shouted stuff.

I'm from 1995 what the fuck

what to do bros

It's an edit of an another image, the shit for millennials and gen-z is just swapped.

It's a stupid image either way, generations have been shit since the baby boomers, not that they were all that great before then.

>80s kids
I don't think you understand how that works. If you're born in the 80's you're a 90's kid. It's not about the decade you're born but the one you grew up/had your childhood/youth in.

generations don't exist like that
>Millennials, also known as the Millennial Generation or Generation Y, are the demographic cohort following Generation X. Demographers and researchers typically use starting birth years ranging from the early-1980s and ending birth years ranging from the mid-1990s to early-2000s. As of April 2016, the Millennial generation surpassed the Boomer generation in size in the USA, with 76 million Boomers and 77 million Millennials.

I'm 96, so Myspace got super popular around 2007/2008, right? I was 11 and 12, so I was too young. Plus internet safety and "stranger danger" stuff were plowed into your head, I don't remember too many kids my age having a myspace. Once we hit the teens, then yeah, there was FaceBook.

...Also were these pages all the same?

2005 to 2009ish

Facebook caught it around 08/09 and took over as Big Dick of social media.

No they aren't. Sup Forums is just full of retards who misuse the term without knowing what it actually means.

The irony is that the vast majority of the people on this site who bitch about"millenials" are actually milennials themselves.

No. Golden age was 84-94
youtube.com/watch?v=hMf2OXJcvhI
youtube.com/watch?v=y9K0SzFIf4A
youtube.com/watch?v=o2Z1yLO9C-Q
youtube.com/watch?v=cuos9YvAcsY
youtube.com/watch?v=8tKHlukQTik
youtube.com/watch?v=rypfHVuxuo4
youtube.com/watch?v=aASYfqP9414
youtube.com/watch?v=cWmFP4eZLXE
youtube.com/watch?v=tOlnmiayzGY
youtube.com/watch?v=fZqb4pvaZTI

There's an even older version of this from, I think it was, ancient Babylon.

Truly as old as human thought.

old hate the youth they have lost it seems

>Baby Boomer, Gen X, Gen Y, Gen Z

So they just basically named Gen X that because it was the Extreme Kool 90's and it sounded appropriate at the time right? Then they just sort of ran with it.

So what are they going to do after Gen Z, just go back to A? This whole thing is retarded.

>90's kids are milennials

Pretty much. Only bored kids like me and a few others I met actually took the time to learn basic HTML so they could mess with their profiles. Besides that it was all just use whatever one a million other people had or one of the copy cat themes that looked exactly the same.
Plus, nobody really knew what to put on their profile, we never had something like that before. I remember there was a debate on whether to fill out your About Me in first or third person, and there used to be whole articles trying to teach people how to write a stunning profile.

>This whole thing is retarded.

Yes, yes it is. It's basically article writers making up arbitrary classifications. It's basically that gif with Abe Simpson yelling at a cloud, on a large scale.

It never sat well with me that 80s kids were lumped in with the millennials.

Is Information Agers a thing?

Oh man, the Geocities Age.

Truly, that was a dark, dark time.

>Born in 95' as well as being NEET for the past 4 years

Gee, I'm like the anti-christ to everyone. But that's okay because I hate myself too.

>So they just basically named Gen X that because it was the Extreme Kool 90's and it sounded appropriate at the time right?
No, they were named Gen X before that.

>This whole thing is retarded.
That is true.