Is Goku more popular and beloved than any superhero not named Batman amongst Generation Y-Millenials?

Is Goku more popular and beloved than any superhero not named Batman amongst Generation Y-Millenials?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jf5eJWxAPww
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no.

before we begin, define generation Y in a manner we can all agree to

They like the action and aesthetic.
They don't give 2 shits about the character.

He's definitely more popular (and loved) than Superman amongst that demographic. Prior to the MCU he was way more popular than the Avengers as well. And honestly if we limit it to that demographic he still might be as if not more popular than any single avenger.

People born from the early 80s to mid 80s. People that were in their teens when DBZ was airing in toonami

Can someone explain to me why the fuck Goku and Vegeta don't turn red at all? Why do they turn blue?

It's a hotter flame.

So they add on super Saiyan to their God form which makes it blue I guess

Because Toriyama is a hack

Goku turned Super saiyan God in the Battle of Gods arc. Both got past that offscreen, so they're blue now

wat

But Red version IS Super Saiyan God too isn't it? isn't what the fucking movie was about?

If they're past it, how come Red GOku was able to keep up with that Kitty Cat but Blue goku is a weak fuck?

because they are weebs with shit taste

Super Saiyan God that's red is basically just the normal version of it, hence his hair is the same normal hairdo. The blue is when he goes super saiyan while in saiyan god mode.

you didn't answer the question user, but I assume that means he is then.

>If they're past it, how come Red GOku was able to keep up with that Kitty Cat but Blue goku is a weak fuck?

Did you actually watch the movie or where you shitposting and doing your laundry and half paying attention?

Goku lost the fight. He kept up, but barely. He knew he couldn't win and said as much.Then Beerus decided he like partying with Bulma and the crew so he didn't feel like destroying the Earth.

This is why I can't get into DBZ

wrong

Speak for yourself. Kid Goku is fucking hilarious and based. The DB manga is really great until after the android arc, but before that it was pretty much gold.

Outside of the US, possibly.

Reminder that in most of the world, DB(Z) started airing way earlier than that.

In the very specific case of my mini-generation (born 1985) in my language sphere (France), Goku was a childhood icon and definitely more popular and iconic than any American cape.
The VAs are pretty based.
youtu.be/jf5eJWxAPww

No, just by beaners mostly.

Yes

As one of those people, No. I find Goku and Dragonball to be some of the lowest forms of action based anime and Goku himself to be fairly unlikeable when he's not fighting. Naruto, or even fucking Ruby from rwby have more character and likeable qualities than Goku, I'm not really a Batman fan, but he's far more popular than almost any other fictional character.

How fucking high do you have to be to believe this image?

>Is Goku more popular and beloved than any superhero not named Batman amongst Generation Y-Millenials?

Goku's not even as popular as Luffy.

>Goku's not even as popular as Luffy

I wouldn't call Goku unlikable when he's not fighting, more like forgettable. I honestly can't remember what he was doing in any of his non-combat scenes.

That's very likely outside of America, dragon ball has an universal appeal while capes are too often chained to American interest.

Not saying it's are some kind of master piece either because it's not and much less are capes. I would say Spiderman gives him a run for his money but I don't know how popular Spiderman is in South America and Asia.

Then why doesn't anyone watch Super?

Shit was simpler before Super.

Well the generational gaps are correct just not the definitions.

The reason the Gen Z is so short is because technology changed so fast that it made people too different from each other.

I mean there's a fuck huge difference between had access to computers and internet in high school to everyone was given an iPad/thinkpad for school.

Because Akira Toriyama is a hack and can't design for shit

You are correct but only if you speak about moonland because OP tanked everywhere else.

I was actually referring to the US mostly, but yeah taken the entire world into consideration that I'd say he probably is. I know Dragonball aired before DBZ but was a flop in the US.

Nig what superheroes are more popular among that demographic other than Batman. At most Spiderman and the MCU (as a whole) are prob on par. But nobody gave a fuck about any of the avengers before the MCU, and individually they're still probably less popular than Goku.

Stop watching the shitty toonami dub after the Freiza arc. He was hilarious as a kid and once he became an adult is almost sociopathic and animalistic in his need to seek out stronger opponents. The fact that he let Piccolo and Vegeta live not because he's some paragon of virtue like Superman (see I can make blatant caricatures too) and isn't about MUH UNCLE BEN makes him more interesting than them.

>If they're past it, how come Red GOku was able to keep up with that Kitty Cat but Blue goku is a weak fuck?

Because Toriyama is a hack. Is this really bothering you? Master Roshi was able to fight Frieza goons in the movie. The whole of Super has been a fucking disaster

because it's garbage? It's like asking why did Superman 64 tank.

I refuse to believe people born in the 80s and 90s count as the same generation. That's fucking stupid considering how different they are.

Here it's very poorly distributed while the original show was in your face as fuck.

Shit was fine until Cell really.

someone hasn't read Dr Slump. That series is more imaginative than 90 percent of capeshit comics.

>Master Roshi was able to fight Frieza goons in the movie

That bothered me too actually. But since it only happened in one episode I forgot about it. Also, how is it that Gotenks hasn't turned blue? All it took for him to turn SS3 was seeing Goku do it, and they've seen Vegeta and Goku do it many times that they should just be able to do it.

>Implying people don't eat up garbage all the time

Do I have to say it again?

Akira Toriyama is a hack. When was the last time anybody saw Launch?

He let Vegeta live because he thought there was some good in him, not for "muh stronger opponents".

>He let Vegeta live because he thought there was some good in him

After he and Nappa killed all his friends. the Abridged series does a good job taking the piss out of that

>Master Roshi was able to fight Frieza goons in the movie.
They make the point that those soldiers are weak shit compared to the Namek era. Either way I take more exception with the lack of originality in the powercreep than with powerlevel inaccuracies.

If you ignore Gohan's special snowflakeness it's pretty much a straight shot up through GT, though SSJ2/2.5 are basically never used.

I assume you haven't read the manga, because Launch is actually really a minor (and I do mean MINOR) character in the manga. The only reason people make a fuss about her disappearance is because the anime added a ton of filler with her. She wasn't that important, nor did he have to explain her whereabouts. People and friends in life up and randomly leave (and they didn't have cellphones or instagram then) so it's not hard to believe she's out there, but it isn't a flaw in the narrative for her to just be written out like that.

It gets higher ratings than one piece in nipland

The early to mid 80s?

So, what, a generation that's, what, 3 to 4 years long?

I get that "Millenials" is seriously over-stretched, but going too far in the other direction makes it equally meaningless.

Just think of it this way

Red=Saiyan God
Blue=Saiyan God going Super

>mfw I actually prefer the designs and premise of GT over Super

The only problem for me was making Goku a kid again. At least it was about adventure and actually finding Dragonballs instead of "I must get stronger for reasons"

If there's 1 thing Toriyama has done well on DB(Z) it's designs.
He's just started hacking it up about 15 years ago.

>Also, how is it that Gotenks hasn't turned blue? All it took for him to turn SS3 was seeing Goku do it, and they've seen Vegeta and Goku do it many times that they should just be able to do it.

Goten and Trunks probably don't even train that much anymore. Goku and Vegeta had to do some crazy hard training with Whis to achieve Super Saiyan Blue.

Did *anyone* watch the damn movie?

You have to have "five sayians with pure hearts" join their power levels together and then concentrate it all on ONE of them. It takes five saiyans (or part saiyans) to accomplish it.

It's not just a power up, it takes other people to get to that stage. Hence why Goku said he wasn't happy with it, because it's something he couldn't accomplish on his own.

Why would they reach blue? Goku had to do an ancient ritual and Fajita had to get special training from an angel.
Not to mention they are nowhere strong as them and a transformation of that kind would reduce the time limit of the fusion to a few minutes.

>When was the last time anybody saw Launch?
Who fucking cares?

Yes, it's exactly a dumb paragon of virtue move.

Well, people born in the mid-late 40s, 50s, and early-mid 60s are considered the same generation and you don't see them complaining about it

Goten and Trunks still train. Vegeta wouldn't let his son get lazy. It's only Gohan who has gone to complete shit

Yeah I like how SS4 actually made them more monkey-like. It made sense considering their other transformation.

But it seems like the God mode is the opposite of that and so is super sayain. The monkey part is the evil part apparently.

What kind of retarded dub did you watch? He wanted someone stronger to fight since he though he had reached his limit and Vegeta showed a whole new world.

Exactly. I don't know why this is so hard to understand, but then again I'm willing to bet most of the people who don't get it didn't actually watch the movie where it was fucking explained. Just youtube clips taken out of context and Facebook memes.

I actually thought it was dumb too until I saw the movie and it was all explained.

Fuck that.
The very concept of SSJ2/2.5/3 is shit and creatively bankrupt, as is the concept of Cell being an amalgam of everyone, which basically Cartman playing anime.

There's some good stuff in the Cell arc but it's where you see the hackery rearing it's ugly end.

It has a dumb fucking name though to be fair

>Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan

It's called Super Saiyan Blue m8

GT had a ton of problems but SSJ4 was a fucking fantastic design. God and blooper saiyan suck shit.

It's called both

They're both shit

That's why Dragon Ball Super changed it to Super Saiyan Blue later on.

You're overthinking it m8. People tend to mix millenials and generation y together. My question is basically asking "Is Goku more popular than any superhero not named Batman among people born from 1980 to the early to mid 1990s.

No.

Fuck me you're right. I have no idea where I'm misremembering it from.

SSJ4 looks more like what a Saiyan God would to me. The red/blue hair look is really lazy

Wrong!!

what superheroes, not named Batman, are more popular then.

Why watch a non-canon movie?

English dub tends to make Goku Superman lite

Unless you are talking about Japanese young people, no.
I'm not sure he's that iconic to Japanese of that age at this point.

I assume he's the greatest hero in your own mind?

Cells concept was dumb but his execution was fucking excellent, save Imperfect(negro) Cell but his appearance was blissfully short. I'll agree that 2 was garbage since it was literally just upgraded vanilla with no real design changes but 3 leading into 4 was a pretty great concept for a shonen powerup.

Never watched the English dub though.

No he's not. Guys still love Goku but those same guys love Iron man and Cap but girls also love the Marvel heroes and don't give a shit about Dragonball Z

Are you seriously implying he's more popular to you than any other fictional hero?

Battle of Gods and Resurrection F are good DBZ movies, mate.

Why did you watch DBZ in the first place?

Look, I know we're in Sup Forums but let's try to be somewhat objective here. Only Batman is outright more popular than him (amongst that age demographic), ones that can be argued but isnt certain are Spiderman and the avengers (as a whole) though listing the avengers as a whole is unfair and should be really compared to the entire DBZ franchise then.

>I'm not sure he's that iconic to Japanese of that age at this point.
Not him but DB is just as strong as it was before, not OP levels but that and pokemon are the most mainstream shit.

I see Goku being more popular than Batman and other superheros outside of America, but America has never been that much of a fan anyways, getting into the bandwagon too late and fucking up the script and characters.

Only good Cell design was his first form, his perfect form was dogshit.
>but 3 leading into 4 was a pretty great concept for a shonen powerup.
What? It's barely a concept and the designs are awful.

English dub tends to make me able to tolerate Goku. I hate his Japanese voice. I admire the woman voicing the character for so long though but man is it awful.

DB and FMA are really the only anime where I will take the dub every time

That's because their dub script was shit back then.

Try watching the Dragon Ball Z Kai dub instead. The dub script is much better.

Uh if you mean Marvel and DC superheroes, and amongst that age demographic I think it's possible.

I'm not sure what you mean by fictional hero though? Does it include like Sherlock Holmes? James Bond? Luke Skywalker? No they all are more popular than him, prob even if you limit it to that sample size.

There are more dubs m8, the german and latin american ones are bretty good.

Having saiyans learn to control their Great Ape side and fold it into new powerup forms as opposed to just transforming under a full moon and running wild like all of the saiyans before them was a great way to use part of the lore that barely had any relevance since all of the saiyans got their tails cut off. Also there's literally nothing wrong with Perfect or SSJ4's designs.

>Only Batman is outright more popular than him
[citation needed]
I assume you have hard data besides the fresh pluckings from your own ass?

Resurrection F is fucking horrible. It has 30 minutes at least of Goku fucking around slapping Frieza until he blows up the planet until "lol reverse time" fixes everything

What made Goku beloved other than being the strongest guy from that cartoon about guys who scream at each other and have power level dick measuring contests?

I'm asking if Goku is the cartoon/comic character who holds the highest place in your heart.

I didn't think it was that complicated of a question
>and amongst that age demographic
I didn't ask that, and you don't have any useful insight on that anyway.

Goku is a high functioning autist so he's easy to relate to

Retrieving something from the garbage bin because you're out of ideas for powerups isn't exactly creative.
>Also there's literally nothing wrong with Perfect or SSJ4's designs.
Except looking like overdesigned shit.

>I'm asking if Goku is the cartoon/comic character who holds the highest place in your heart.

No you were asking for the entire gen. And by virtue of women and girls not giving a single fuck about DBZ then no, Goku isn't a popular as Batman or most of the MCU heroes these days

Well said.

Nobody cared about Sherlock during the 90s.

Super Saiyan God is the other end of the spectrum by being under designed shit