You know for such a "progressive" show, the writers seem pretty hell bent on pushing an abusive relationship

You know for such a "progressive" show, the writers seem pretty hell bent on pushing an abusive relationship.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j38aX4JxINQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't get why people see this show is progressive, people read into this way too much.

>You know for such a "progressive" show
I don't....I don't understand? Okay maybe one of the gems is made up of 2 female lovers, but other than that, it's really tame. You can tell the creator is a huge tumblrite, but that's just the creator and not the show.

Idk shit like this just kinda bugs me.

But if they don't pander to Tumblr hard enough, then no one would actually watch the show, or want a show with continuity, but not pushing progressive shit on us constantly.

Without Tumblr and SJWs, this show goes down.

They're pushing homosexuality onto kids, I'd say that's pretty progressive.

but user, there's no room for subtlety or shades of grey in reality, everything is black and white.

There are space lesbians in the show so it's a lib cuck sjw tumblr "progressive" show.

Welcome to the new world. Pick a narrative and enjoy your stay. Note: none of the narratives depict reality

I don't think you understand story telling.
Showing something is not the same as condoning it, or even condemning it.
They're highlighting the issues that people face, how many families in this show even have their mother and father still together?

Abusive relationships are progressive. You bigot.

By not condemning it, they are endorsing it. Not to mention normalising it by showing it to impressionable children.

>By not condemning it, they are endorsing it
That's not how it works.

assholes are people too you know

Is that what happened to OP? Somebody made him into a huge faggot?

But being gay is normal.

Yes it is. They chose to put it in the show and not portray it in a negative light. That's an endorsement.

You sound like a tumblerite.

>p-please stop hurting my feelings becky sugar!

I don't think you're right in the sense that the depiction intends to normalize bad relationships, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions - their "problems" are being shown as something to be worked through, but then the focus is shifted away from the couple for entire seasons at a time so it doesn't matter what is happening to them and it will probably never get resolved because "who cares, they're straight"

>showing a wide spectrum of relationships isn't progressive.

PEARL RAPED GARNET

>S-stop calling me out for supporting abuse

Also it's left ambiguous whether or not they are official. It seems more like Lars is Sadie's oneitis and he wants to keep it hidden that the feelings are mutual, because he is an insecure narcissist. If anything, THAT is the issue I have with it - Lars isn't someone to be pitited.

>romeo and juliet supported teen suicide.
>first blood supported cop killing.
>Batman supports child endangerment.

All of those things are portrayed in a negative light. Sadie and Lars' relationship is not.

Yes
Yes
No. By having a child under the protection of Batman he is actually safer. Unless a bunch of people call in out of universe to murder you.

>all those things are portrayed negatively.
Not Batman endangering kids or beating up the mentally ill.

>Sadie and Lars' relationship is not.
Are you sure about that?

Because violent psychopaths deserve to get their asses kicked. Nobody deserves to be in an abusive relationship.

Prove it isn't

Ah, the classic "I don't like this show or watch it, but I know exactly how it is".

Lars already got over that, the first thing he did was invite Sadie over to HIS place which is something he's never done before. Now all he wants to do is spend time with Sadie as seen in Future Boy Zoltron.

>Sadie and Lars' relationship is not.
It's funny that you believe this when that's all their relationship prior to The New Lars was portrayed as.

Rocks don't have genders.
On another note, the casual observer might think Ruby is a guy, and Rose and Pearl never have any on-screen intimacy shown, so some might think that's not the case.

>progressive means never showing anything bad.

>Rocks don't have genders.

Just shut up with this shit. You're just insulting people's intelligence when you repeat this.

Sadie usually ends up crying and calls lars a dick while Lars is usually shown as a insensitive dick.

>fat jew boy running at incredibly hihg speed

Rewatch Joking Victim, Island Adventure, and Beach City Horror Club. Three entire episodes about their fucked up relationship.

Although Beach City Horror Club was more about Ronaldo and Lars, but it showed more of the relationship between Sadie and Lars as well.

YEP NO GENDERS HERE
OBVIOUSLY NOT GIRLS, NOPE NO WAY

>no intimacy
are we just gonna forget the Rainbow Quartz and even Sardonyx fusion dances?

Fusions are intimate as fuck though, and anyone who watched those Greg backstory episodes would think "Yeah, Pearl wants to get all up in that"

>Rocks don't have genders because technically a hard light projection of a pregnant woman IN A DRESS isn't the same thing as presenting a corporeal form as a certain gender
>Rocks don't have genders because the above isn't true, but the projections aren't presenting as female, you just think things like dresses and tutus are feminine because of the patriarchy
>Rocks don't have genders because Sugar said so. Therefore gender doesn't exist in reality either.

holy shit this thread is so retarded it's giving me a migraine

youtube.com/watch?v=j38aX4JxINQ
here, let me help

they drop it after S1.There was 1 ep about them on S3 and thats it.
I like the show but yeah they fucked up with this.

then maybe it is not as progressive as you might think

This show told Tumblr to fuck-off on multiple occasions by this point

It's certainly trying to be.

That, and a really bad fan-fiction of itself.

Sorry guys, you aren't allowed to call this show Tumblr anymore after Rebecca told Zuke to fuck off and take her shitty lesbian ship with her.

As someone who recently started watching the show I agree. I went in with a friend expecting straight up Tumblr, but it's actually just a sugary-sweet kid's show. Sure, there are gay characters but that's not a huge shocker to me. It's actually pretty enjoyable and I'm a little sad I can't talk to people about it because the fanbase is such fucking cancer.

Or maybe it just goes off the rails in season 3. I just started that.

I fail to see how having drama makes it less progressive.

Again I just have to ask, who in their right mind thinks it's smart to have a 'private' blog where they shit on their boss in this day and age?

If ruby and sapphire split up and never talked to each other, no one ever mentioned rose, and stopped doing these lars and sadie stories (forgetting about the characters being in stories together rather than appearing alone) among a few other things changed, people would drop it in a heartbeat.

actually, I think even more people would watch it, since that would leave us with the gem world plot

>implying zuke is in her right mind

You could argue that if he didn't take them out on patrol with him or let them patrol all by themsleves.

Also never forget Jason Todd.

I actually think it's an alright show with some (!) decently written characters and story. The thing I hate about it is Steven, his dad and any humans. 'This autistic hamball has emotions just like aliens!' is what every episode boils down to. If it were just about the gems and the lore of the gem war and had more serious tones to it, I would love the show.

Calling it progressive is a bit of a stretch. Steven Universe is just another new-age cartoon that's not too bad, but not as great as the cartoons of old.

prove god is/isn't real

I ship this so I have no complaints. Not all relationships have to be perfect like Ruby/Sapphire

A show without Steven, that focuses on the gems and their conflict with homeworld, and has a more serious tone, Humans are only minor characters that rarely get the spotlight.

Yes, that could work. Actually that would be ten times better then the reality of the show.

Modern interpretations do usually make it a point to call him out on it at least once.

Steven Universe isn't really progressive, it just happens to be a show about love. All different kinds of love.

The important part of Pearl's devotion to Rose isn't that its technically gay, its that its unrequited.

The important part of Ruby and Saphire's relationship isn't that its technically gay, but that its strong but almost unhealthily codependent. They have literally lost sight of their individual identities and instead identify as a single unit, which is either romantic or worrying depending on your perspective.

Jasper/Lapis and Lars/Sadie both show different kinds of unhealthy relationships. Sadie can't ever really bury her feelings for Lars despite Lars being totally undeserving of her affection, and and Jasper wanted to cling to the first real emotional attachment she had even though it was a terrible relationship built on mutual abuse. She cared more about how the relationship made her feel than on the wants and needs of the other person involved.

And so on and so forth.

Yes, technically anything involving the gems is kinda gay. But anyone who focuses on that is missing the forest for the trees.

>Garnet
>perfect relationship

Sugar is already brainwashing children, how sad

God is dead.
We are his decay.

>gems dont have genders
>every single one looks, sounds and acts like a female

This is like saying superheroes have no genders because you never see Spiderman or Superman's floppy penis.

>but that its strong but almost unhealthily codependent.
The thing is if this is supposed to be a bad thing, there could be some elaboration upon why. So far, them being codependent does nothing but put them at an advantage. There was one episode where they argued with each other and it was over something Pearl did to them and it taught us nothing about why Garnet being a perma fusion is harmful to them or other people.

>you will never see Spiderman or Superman's floppy penis.
;_;

Contextually it is portrayed as a perfect relationship compared to every other ship in the show. "Stronger Than You" pretty much beats you over the head with it. They had one mini argument and split up and that was because they couldn't agree on whether they wanted to forgive Pearl for molesting them.

Wait how is it abusive?
Sadie only hurt Lars two times tops. Considering the guy that is pretty restrained.

They have conflict sometimes which makes it ABUSIVE! That's how tumblr's mind works.

rather, they are all lesbian

besides, fuckin christ
>marie, it's a mineral

>sarcasm
>on Sup Forums

None of these things are universally female.

If you honestly want to sit here and tell me every single gem in this show is not designed as a woman you should also type your social security number on Sup Forums as well because it's censored, here watch ***-***-****

Don't you faggots have a fucking sticky of your own?

They're feminine presenting because they like the look and feel of female bodies more than male. Although Amethyst has changed her body to be male before.

Although Pearl and Amethyst have no breasts technically and Pearl especially has no curves. I kind of wish at least one of the gems had a male voice actor to drive the genderless point home but oh well.

>Spider-man's webslinger
>Superman's manhood of steel
>Batman's Batawang
>thor's hammer
>Green arrow's shaft
>The flash's lighting rod
>Cyclops's cyclops
>Captain America's head of state
>the Hunan torch's candlestick
>Aquaman's property of Mera

I'm saying that those traits you've described that, as you say, define a female, do not universally apply to every single creature.

then wouldnt make sense to have a male looking gem to balance things out?

One of the characters is a lanklet know it all.
One of the characters is a fat squat troll of ambiguous ethnicity.
One of the characters is the concept of lesbianism personified AND a strong independent black woman who don't need no man.
And the main character is an oversensitive, overweight, and overappreciated.

You could not get more progressive even if they all started scissoring on a giant pizza while talking about their feelings to their cats.

Boohoo someone can't be bothered to hide a thread

>What are Rubies
>What is Bismuth

but it does to humans

>they're feminine presenting because they just like it better than being a male
>this has nothing to do with the show being written by women and aimed at women

If you're not going to stay in your general, then it is both my right and obligation to shit up any thread outside of it.

If you don't like that, then maybe this thread isn't for you.

Gems are not humans.

That is what Jasper is supposed to be.

Although Amethyst is the only one that actually fits the description because she is always shapeshifting.

I'm just describing what Rebecca Sugar described in that reddit q&a.

BOOHOOOOO PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING I DON'T CARE ABOUT EVERYONE MUST CATER TO MEEEEE

but they willingly take on humanoid forms

Why did you list two distinctly feminine examples.

Loud House is one metric tonne more progressive than SU. LH actually has a homosexual couple.

You already have your own thread, faggot.

This thread is mine now.

just act like an adult and be the bigger person

They are humanoids.

>hurrdurr but their gems

No.

>abusive
Abuse requires a power dynamic. Lars and Sadie is mutually unhealthy, because they're both awful to each other.

How can you read the monitor when being thus blind.

why

the trips of a true manchild.

Ruby and Sapphire have a very bad relationship.

By using my ears.

All the gems are voiced by women.

Those are quads. Learn how to count.

>Who is Steven