Where do I start?

I've been wanting to start DC comics for a while now. But everytime I'm about to find where to start, the universe gets retconed or someshit.

Other urls found in this thread:

comraderecs.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

XD

Start with the Greeks.

Pick a title that has a character you like, you want to read DC so you probably like Batman, and start at issue 1. Rebirth was made so people like you could jump in without needing and prior knowledge.

Wrong. No casuals allowed. Start with Action Comics #1 and work your way through everything, even the stories you don't like. And no, you can't skip recolorings.

Pick a character, Pick a run. Start from there. I remembered liking the Flash, so I started with Waid Flash since I heard that was the best, then got into Johns Flash, which got me into Johns JSA which got me into Johns earlier stuff like Stargirl which got me into Young Justice by then I was already familiar enough with the universe to pick and choose which runs are worth my time. Don't have a "I have to read everything mentality" because you'll have to wade through a lot of crap. I exclusively read only specific creative team runs now (EX: I only read the Johns stuff of Adventure Comics, the Joe Kelly Run of Superboy, and so on) depending on the writer, they can fill you in on the go or you can literally just google what happened.

and this is why the industry is dying

>no casuals allowed
You better tell DC that, because they took the doors off of that secret club a while ago and are just letting anyone join these days.

Start at the beginning

First decide on a character you want to read about. If you want the no-frills INSTAJUMP point, just grab the earliest Rebirth copy for whichever character you're interested in.

Otherwise you can be like me. I started with Batman since I grew up with BTAS. Basically I just pulled up some of the recommended reading like Death In The Family and so forth.

... and then had the misfortune of reading Injustice on a whim. Despite it being a clusterfuck of insanity, it got me interested in different heroes I normally would have ignored or not known about, even if they were painfully OOC.

This is pretty true, I got into Young Justice because of Impulse because of Flash.

The only good thing to come out of Injustice was the Plastic Man annual.

>Butlering
>Bizarro and Trickster's Friendship
>Death by Rock
>Batman's Secret ID is exposed through Facebook
>NAAARGH!
>Tons of Reaction Faces
>The Quiver
There's probably way more I can't remember right now

Ignore continuity, it's dumb.

This is also solid advice, if you're just starting out. Don't question the status quo, just accept it.

JUST START READING
They'll give you the context clues and recap dialogue to let pretty much most people in something up and have an idea what's going on.

I mean you could go back to start of N52 which is a good jumping in point.
Or after any major events like Rebirth numbering or after Infinite Crisis, but deep down ya just gotta start reading.

I mean plenty on this board got our DC start with GL Rebirth which is so continuity dense it should be impossible for newcomers but we all got through it and continued.

Just head over to the winothread and start reading OP.

Find a character you like with a Rebirth title and pick it up. Maybe a couple and shop around to find what you like. Continuity is flexible and gets retconed, so don't worry too much about it, you should be able to pick up on whatever is relevant to the situation. Also lurk here a bunch, you'll get a good working knowledge of histories, who's a good writer, and recommendations.

>The Door that came to Gotham

if you really want to read and enjoy dc comics, ask your question somewhere else and never came back on Sup Forums, these guys are toxic as fuck

>Alan Moore's Swamp Thing
>Robinson's Starman
>Morrison's Animal Man
>Gaiman's Sandman
>Ostrander's Spectre
>Ennis' Hitman
Just like every other medium and genre, majority of cape comics are mediocre to bad. So just ignore continuity, ignore characters and read whatever interests you.

Underrated jej

Isnt there like non cannon stuff? I'm interested in it, but I want to start out with the main continuity. I also want to start out with Wally West Flash. What should I start with for him?

Yeah, it's better to go to a safe space like tumblr.

Rebirth is the worst place to start for a newfriend. Start with New 52. You'll fall in love with the characters and then you'll start reading back catalogs and then you can try Rebirth and realise what a piece of shit it is.

The only good thing to come from this is White Wally. Everything else is grade A trash

Flash by Mark Waid. The first TPB of that collection comes out this month! Also get Flash by Johns 1-3 (there should be about 5) and Flash by Morrison/Millar

>But everytime I'm about to find where to start, the universe gets retconed or someshit.

so you've tried twice in the last 30 years?

>the universe gets retconed or someshit.

dont read shared universe crap read the classics: Batman Year One, Moore's Swamp-thing . Morrison's Animal Man, 80s Teen Titans, etc.

You're not required to read all of it to understand what is happening in a single book.

Technically nothing before 2011 is canon but that's where most of the good stuff is. You need to learn to let go of your autism and just enjoy good comics.

>Technically nothing before 2011 is canon
Do you not understand what Rebirth is all about?

Ignore the anti-DC bots and use this.
comraderecs.tumblr.com/

Dude I direct plenty people there but cmon that stuff is mostly 4+ years old in DESPERATE need of an update.

Not for someone wanting ongoing jumping in points.

New 52 is the exact same level of garbage as Rebirth you deluded idiot.

Nice company wars, bro.

Dc Wikia?

This.

Decide what character you want to read and start from the beginning of a writer's run.
Like if you want to read Superman, start with Tomasi's ongoing run and start at the latest #1.

If you want to get into the continuity, Crisis on Infinite Earths is the cornerstone for almost everything.

>Action Comics
Look at this casual. If you don't start with More Fun Comics you don't know SHIT about DC.

This. 99% of the time you don't need to know anything but some basic aspects, the story will explain it. Having knowledge of continuity only gives you bonuses.

The stories that ARE very heavy on continuity like JSA or Legion of Super-Heroes are meant for hardcore fans.