Why are there no average/loser female protagonists?

Why are there no average/loser female protagonists?

In tons of film and tv shows, the protagonist is often some average, milquetoast, slacker dude who bumbles through life. I get this is so guys can project on the character "Oh, this guy is kinda lazy and has trouble with girls sometimes - I can relate to that" and feel a stronger connection to the situations they get in.

But female protagonists are always funny/witty/sassy if it's a comedy or incredibly experienced and powerful if it's an action series. Basically impossible for the "average" girl to relate to. Why is that? Is it just that most writers are male, or do women not project themselves like men do?

>Why
Because women don't see themselves as average like guys do
That sassy girl that always has something funny to say that everyone likes and all the guys want to be with is how the average girl sees herself no matter how out of line with reality it is
Tldr bitches be crazy

Because no matter how terrible a woman is, there will always be some guy willing to fuck and spend time with her. Think about it, how many women do you know who are completely friendless/virgins/losers? Now compare that to the amount of men who fit this description.

Dee in Always Sunny.

Most (most being the key word) women don't project themselves onto characters in the same way that men do. Men see themselves as that character. We relate to them and attempt to match traits with them to form a bond. Women hate female characters and instead wish that is was them instead. They want to replace the female protagonist instead of being them. Instead of latching onto the traits that they have in common they instead wish for what ever the main character does better than they do while at the same time dismissing any negatives as things they could do better than the protagonist.

Have a conversation with a woman about her favorite story/movie/game what ever and more often than not they will dislike the female characters more of all.

what about bridget jones isn't that all about her being a frumpy average low self-esteem person? or every other jennifer anniston film where we are supposed to believe she is some undatable klutz, even though she is jennifer aniston.

Welcome to the dollhouse?

Birds of a feather, Vicar of Dibley, keeping up appearances, Absolutely Fabulous. And those are just Brit sitcoms off the top of my head. I think you have a bias OP and see what you want to confirm it

I shouldn't be relating this hard to Mark. Fuck my life, when it showed the kids in the pilot fucking with him I knew exactly how that felt. I'm such a fucking loser.

Bridget Jones is always getting railed out by Prime Ministers, CEOs and millionaires. A real frumpy chick is getting used as a cum dump by a layabout

>I'm such a fucking loser.

Yeah, you are

I already said that.

Women are kinda narcissistic it seems

Their version of this meme is that the OTHER girl is the bad one, not her, she's the good one and the guy is just an idiot for not going with her

>he actually responded
You really are a fucking loser.

I know

I mean, one simple explanation is that women never see themselves as losers. Even if they're single and have an objectively shit social life, they either blame other bitches or self-insert as a Bridget Jones or Sex and the City type stylish girl whereas guys are more self aware, partly because us not being successful with women is directly correlated to how others treat us. Plus women friend groups always prop each other up with "yas queen" type bullshit whereas guys put each other down a lot.

I disagree with what you said about guys constantly putting each other down when compared to women. Women are constantly bitches to each other just most of the time it is behind each others backs. They may seem like great friends when they are all together but you get two of them alone and they will go through and pick apart each of the others. Guys tend to be much more upfront and honest about each other. We may constantly put each other down or make jokes at each others expense but most of the time it is how we show we care about each other. If your friends constantly poke at subjects that actually get under skin then you have shitty friends or you are bad at showing how much a topic hurts you.

Because nobody gives a fuck about ugly looking people, and a female loser is always ugly for some reason
Plus it's too much work to write that character; easier to have her be good at everything and call it "empowering"

Broad city?

Women in general don't relate to one another they just infer comparisons so when they see another woman who's a loser they instinctually empathize to which it makes them feel like a loser, it's on of the main contributing factors as to why Hillary lost a lot of women voters to trump regardless of college education.

Came here to post this.

Illana is 50/50 but Abbey is totally a loser and underdog in every scenario.

Part of it is the "women are wonderful" affect

And part of it is that the average woman is a genuine cunt

Pic semi-related, what happens when you write a realistic chick

How do you get that shirt so clean mate

>Why are there no average/loser female protagonists?

>becomes the second best healing ninja in the world

>read the manga
>as time goes on more and more people warm up to her and make an effort to get to know her
>most recent chapters have her going out to korean bbq and karaoke with her classmates and friends

She's still a complete loser, tho. But yes I agree, the writers have developed too much pity towards their own character, they need to shit on her more like in the early volumes.

British make cringe/loser kino.

Valid point

There's a reason why female protagonists in stories targeted at women tend to be these empty, generic, soulless dolls for the reader to easily insert into. Men enjoy stories about awesome guys because we wanna be like that guy, or at least experience his life.

Women need a device that makes them feel less pathetic than a dorky virgin 14 year old girl who reads second-person romance fanfiction.

I noticed that too about that meme.most woman don't like to self deprecate, if they do they actually want more compliments

Tumblr pls fuck off, you lost

There is tons!

Take this show: Jane the Virgin for example.

She is a loser because she is in her early 20s and still a virgin! Could you imagine what that must be like lol

one of those kids is Pip from GoT

well, lena dunham stared in her own show

Dead like me

Doesn't make her less of a cunt.

Fleabag
Eagle Vs. Shark

I knew a few in high school but they were usually fat. There was one girl that always sat alone, and I always wanted to sit and talk to her because she looked sad but I knew that if I did it once she would feel even worse if I never came back again. Girl loners are always much sadder than guy loners because guys are pretty much evolutionarily adapted to do well independently, whereas girls without friends really are just failures. Hope she's doing better now :'(

Kim from Sugar Rush.

Because nobody cares about women.

Yeah I made the mistake of talking to one of them once.
Afterwards I'd catch her looking at me from a distance with a sad look on her face.

Women only prop each other up because they're competing with each other on who can appear to be the most supporting from the eyes of a man.

Men constantly put each other down because they're trying to toughen up each other. One of its functions is to help the man be prepared for rejection.

Men jokingly say fuck you then think to themselves how much they enjoy spending time with each other.

Women jokingly say how much they love one another but then think to themselves how much of a bitch the other woman is.

>"I'm a fucking moron!"
It is recent though

Technically women have a shorter time span on reproduction. By the time a woman is in her 30's with no child, she's close to missing out the ability of having healthy children.

A man can reproduce until he's physically too old to have sex.

That's why women have an easier time at accessing sex. They need to begin reproducing sooner in order to better the odds at having many healthy offspring. It takes 9 months to make a child.

For a man it takes 15 minutes. 5 if you're desperate.

is it bad that I realized Im more of a Mark than Jez?

Freaks and Geeks?

You can't realize if you're a Jez. That's kind of the point.

Broad City is so horribly overrated but I think the characters would qualify as total losers.

bad example

I think that just means women are more fragile and need constant reinforcement, which is why they need to be showered with compliments and build themselves up. Men are able to self-deprecate because who gives a fuck.

>Have a conversation with a woman about her favorite story/movie/game what ever and more often than not they will dislike the female characters more of all.
This is actually kind of true now that I think about it. My wife and I have been listening to the wheel of time books and she hates almost all of the female characters. Though, with that series it's kind of understandable.

writers are shit. that is all

Daisy Steiner from Spaced is the best, most realistic portrayal of a female loser protagonist in media.

me
you're right though I know I'm in the minority

this is pretty accurate. I have a couple girl friends who always hate the female characters in whatever book/show/game they like and when I was kid I didn't hate female characters but didn't really care about them either.

season 3 and 4 of the thick of it is a great example of one

From bean to cup, you fuck up

ITT fucking idiot edgelord teenage boys

We even have broken Chad characters in movies. I've yet to see a broken Stacy.

i unironically like this show

And furiosa doesn't count, she's depicted as the independent strong woman who need no patriarch and has a higher cause(rescue the brides from the evils of the cis white warlord patriarchy). Whilst Max is the broken mentally ill purposeless hopeless loner, who finds a little hope in the end by realising Furiosas dream of crushing the citadels patriarchy.

>what is vice principals

Meg griffin/hayley smith

nah, bullshit.

You could argue that Sophie is pretty much that female character though. Really ordinary and often quite annoying.

What about Gimme Gimme Gimme. Linda is hardly a winner, is she?

Broad city 100%
Every character on girls
Sex and the city even though they're almost all successful moderately attractive women carrie counteracts that by being a poor smoker who cheats on boyfriends and bugs all her friends talking about her relationships. And i know shes ugly coz y'all talk about her horseface every time she's mentioned so i think she represents an average woman.

What... why
user, do you even know what a girl is?
I think you got it backwards
Guys with beer bellies strut around in speedos feeling alpha while girls obsess over every bit of fat they find on themselves

Because my ugly as fuck sister can hop on periscope right now and get 500 people in her room calling her sexy.

Abby isn't a loser it's Illana that drags her down to her level.

>e relate to them and attempt to match traits with them to form a bond. Women hate female characters and instead wish that is was them instead. They want to replace the female protagonist instead of being them

>YOURE A STRONG GIRL
>YOU CAN KICK ANY MANS ASS
>YOU CAN THROW SOMETHING AT THEM AND MEN WONT REACT IN A RAPE, THEY WOULD JUST ACCEPT IT
>YOU ARE THE BEST ASSASSIN/WHATEVER CAUSE YOURE A BADASS WOMAN
>KIDS ARE DUMB AND SLOW YOU DOWN, LIVE IT UP AND FUCK EVERY GUY YOU SEE
>YOU CAN BE A COLD HEARTED BITCH BUT THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A GUY WHO TELLS HIMSELF YOURE THE ONE WHO GOT AWAY

There is a reason why women can't see any traits.

My guess is, making a realistic woman who is insecure and weak would make for little character, because women like that are often fully dependent on some guy and don't have as much going on in their lives

Mulholland Dr.

>Why are there no average/loser female protagonists?

There are some. It seems a lot less common nowadays though.

That's the thing though. She wasn't a loser. She was just a normie who was having a small identity crisis for a few years.

Just an average woman who could've easily married and turned housewife in the span of a single year if she actually wanted to. She was average, but even average is enviable when you're an actual fuckup.

I would like to see more female protagonists that are actual losers. Not for any schadenfreude kick; it seems like an interesting avenue that rarely gets explored in a real life way.

How many female losers do you know in real life because I bet you know plenty of male ones.

If you really want an answer to your question the show is Insecure, a show which nobody watches here because it stars niggers.

having a bunch of randos call you hot doesn't automatically make you not a loser though

>How many female losers do you know in real life because I bet you know plenty of male ones.

Weird passive aggression.

Other humans having positive thoughts about your existence makes you not a loser, yes.

that seems like such a low bar. My family likes me well enough but I'm still a jobless NEET, I'd say I'm a loser.

other humans other than your family xD

I know a lot of "loser" single mothers who a xanax away from killing themselves or giving up their kid for adoption.

nah it's still a low bar.

ugly betty

I know a lot of "loser" single mothers who are a xanax away from killing themselves or giving up their kid for adoption. There's plenty of female losers, they just tend to be older

/thread

>"ugly" betty
>it's just a hot girl with glasses and a bad haircut
ok

Bait thread/10
There are plenty of shows with dimwitted women main characters

>character is a "loser"
>hes had sex before, knows who his father is, and even has a group of friends

Penny was that character for years.

This thread is a bunch of "sissies" waiting to happen. Face it, being a woman is at times easier, and having sex is also much easier. But they can't amount to anything even if they try, while you can. You either suck it up and be a man, or you jerk off to sissy hypno gifs and be content with that.

>loser female protagonists

This

> You either suck it up and be a man, or you jerk off to sissy hypno gifs and be content with that.
I do both. Checkmate.

I guess because, for the most part, the burden of being successful is bore by males in society.