Fuck you I liked it

fuck you I liked it

no fuck YOU

it's pretty good and i can't really articulate why i like it as much as i do

ronnie shooting the perp at the end is so gruesome yet understated, it's great.

Vice Principals and Eastbound & DOwn and Foot Fist Way are good. So is this. Jody Hill is a great writer. Seth Rogen actually seems to try and play a different character.

>you'll never punch Aziz Ansari in the face

Its kinda pointless and not very funny. Like what is it supposed to be about? Are we supposed to relate to the lead character? Guys like that dont even exist except for in dumb ass movies like this so no one relates to it.

Paul Blart was at least funny.

>i can't really articulate why i like it as much as i do

brainlet general?

interesting bait.

Doesn't most of Sup Forums like it? It's one of the only good things Rogen has done.

I think Sup Forums is the only one that likes it

i liked it when i saw it in the theaters and recently rewatched when i was bored and realized how its legitimately a terrible movie with an uninteresting story and unrelatable lead character... it sucks...

>needs to be able to relate to lead character

fuck, glad I don't have that

It's the kind of black comedy that attacks the viewer by manipulating their expectations to the point that they're self-conflicting.

First you're supposed to laugh at ronnie.

Then you're supposed to feel sorry for him.

Then you're supposed to be horrified by him.

Then weirdly proud of him

Then you're supposed to feel really uncomfortable because you can't reconcile all the preceding things you felt.

It's meant to force you to think by starting with a tropey and predictable broad-comedy character and then deconstructing it to the point that it is arguably no longer funny.

i wish to subscribe to your newsletter

I've liked all of Jody Hill

I don't have a newsletter.

maybe you should start one

I get the Jody Hill / Danny McBride aesthetic, that's their schtick, but its very hit and miss. Even hardcore fans will admit that. I think this movie is a miss. There are legit good moments but overall as a film it fails.

I also think it fails when its not Danny McBride performing in the lead character, he tends to elevate the material, just with his natural charisma and machismo, something Seth Rogen lacks completely.

Seth Rogen was a miscast, and you can't say he was cast for any other reason than Marquee value.

The movie is a failure, imo

nigga why you need extra \n's? You enter key broke?

That's perfectly fair. I wrote this more as an explanation for people that completely misunderstood the movie.

To be honest, I'm half-assed at this sort of thing. I'd consider writing a small column for someone else if they did the vast majority of the legwork and editing and promotion, but I'm certainly not going to take on a project like that myself.

Saw it in the theatre, didn't really laugh out loud but was entertained throughout, somewhat brought about a melancholy or depressed mood for a while after viewing, but at least rogans character had family and friends in the end.

My second favorite film of all time. I'm embarassed to say it, because I hate everything else Seth Rogen has done. But I think Jody Hill is a legitimate comedy director. It's a brilliant, overlooked comedy, partly about bipolar depression.

I see what you're saying. Kenny Powers is the exact same way. He has little redeeming qualities as an actual human being, destroys the life of everyone he comes in contact with, and this is made completely obvious, but he undeniably is the hero and rooted for nonetheless.

I absolutely bought Seth Rogan as an overweight autistic loser with mental issues. Not to mention, I had too many friends who fit that description growing up.

well imagine Danny McBride as the lead character, it'd be a completely different film, and would have been 100x better... also relatable, because Danny McBride, naturally has a relatable quality to him, in pretty much every role he's in

so yeah, Seth Rogen did a decent job, but still a miscast

I think as an overall film it's a qualified success. Jody Hill set out to make Taxi Driver with a loser mall cop who lives with his mommy and he executed it perfectly.

You honestly just missed the entire concept of the film because you were looking for something else.

Dude, that guy exists. Go to /k/