Judge Dredd

Where should I start with Judge Dredd? Should I just read the Case Files chronologically? Are either of the movie adaptations worth watching?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S7p2JJ_WGBI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Should I just read the Case Files chronologically?
Yes. There are also a lot of fun Dredd crossovers worth checking out as well.
>Are either of the movie adaptations worth watching?
Watch the recent Karl Urban film, Dredd. It's incredible. But, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT watch the Stalone film, it's not Dredd at all.

> But, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT watch the Stalone film, it's not Dredd at all

I knew you'd say that

You can start with the cases files if you don't mind the early stories or you can give a shot to days of chaos if you prefer recent stuff.
Also you can start reading the recent Dredd as soon as a new storie start. Si
Everythings is canon since the first issue making it really easy to jump right in.

>Everythings is canon since the first issue
Does that mean everything AFTER the first issue?

I remember that line about Judges being "elected by the people" in that first strip.

Bumping this thread for the possibility that Judge user may see it. He usually storytimes.

>Should I just read the Case Files chronologically?
Yes. If you're at all willing, a chronological Dredd read is a great insight to how a character can develop over time. CF1 are mostly wacky standalones that introduce some great ideas and CF2 has two longer epics that are often cited amongst Dredd's best. CF3 are more standalones introducing some major characters and then I believe CF4 onwards start moving towards refiniation.

What might be an unpopular suggestion is to not limit yourself to checking out some modern Dredd while you're reading. Dredd is very accessible and it can be super cool to read some newer things while looking at the older.

Have fun!

>read case files so quick because theres literally 40 years of comics that i can never actually remember most stories

How help bad memory?

You should start with a bullet to your feeble excuse for a brain.

I swear, not only should rec-fagging be a bannable offense, but so should spoonfeeding.

Yeah, there's been a lot of small retcons since the early issues.
>judges were democratically elected
>MC1 was NY
>Judges were elites working alongside police
etc.
Just read case files chronologically, yes. Some say CF05 is best entry point, and not without merit, it contains several setup issues with future crime, the first Dark Judges story (though Death appeared once before) and ends with Block Mania and Apocalypse War mega epics.
Also, America is a good starting point, since it shows common folk's view on judges, but it's not one-sided.

Don't binge, try and imagine sitting down each week being that clever 8+ year old you once were excited about these thrills this week.

Otherwise they can be difficult to remember, but I think it helps you appreciate the 5 page short art

Get over yourself. Loads of us are happy to talk about characters we like and help other people get into it.

>pic related
Ask me about any of these and I'll share.

It's funny how Stallone movie kept the comic aesthetics but the one thing they changed were the helmets, while Urban movie changed the aesthetics entirely but kept comic helmets.

I did try watching the Stallone movie and really enjoyed the tone and aesthetic but I lost interest the moment he takes his helmet off.

Not muh Dredd.

I have a poster of that exact image above my bed. He protects me from dirt-bags while I sleep.

>Stallone movie
>Bad

One of my favorite Dredd memes. Its not even bad. It has a fucking ABC Warrior. The Angel gang are great. It invented the flying lawmaster. "LAAAAAAAAAAAAW". Its all great. Even Rob Schenider is tolerabal.

>I lost interest the moment he takes his helmet off.

You should at least keep watching for the Angel Gang

Also
LAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW?!?!!?

>Loads of us are happy to talk about characters we like
Ah, I see you're from an alternate reality where Sup Forums isn't a shithole, and actual conversations occur. Do everyone a favor and fuck off back to your imaginary candyland. Rec threads are a fucking cancer that only serve to make boards worse by inviting more and more ignorant casuals to start acting as if they know their shit, when all they know is a few names. Now get your pretentious fake taste out of here so this place can be a sliver less of a garbage heap.

Maybe I'll give it another go. I also learnt about rotoscoping so I could put a CGI helmet over his head and make my own cut.

It would mean there'd be a scene where he takes his helmet off and there'd be another helmet underneath.

Only Sup Forums cares about spoonfeeding. Please go back there

This is you.

>It would mean there'd be a scene where he takes his helmet off and there'd be another helmet underneath.

Honestly I would love that

It's not bad as a Stallone action movie, but it's a terrible Dredd adaptation.

Other than "muh helmet" how is it a bad Dredd movie?

Too much emphasis is placed on Dredd as a character. Dredd is an all-around action hero instead of being lawful neutral. Dredd is a personification of the system, a faceless lawman, not the hero in shining armor.
The whole shitty world atmosphere is lacking, too. There's mega-city, there's cursed earth, but it just doesn't feel that dark or shitty as it should.
And muh helmet too.

There are many stories that Dredd is a straight up action hero. The genre/tone of Dredd can change weekly as you likely know.

Also its funny that you cite lacking world too considering its 1000% more in depth with lots of locations compared to Dredd which i assume you probably liked which was entirely contained in one mega structure.

The movies are both worth watching for fun, but the 2012 is far superior in terms of actually being Dredd.

If the script of the 95 film was closer to Dredd then it would be better.

Which is bottom middle?

Kid Loki.
Journey Into Mystery 622-645

I think it's a good idea to just follow the chart here, read the recommended case files in any order and then some of the modern ones.

This gives you a nice survey of the character's history without having to read 15 enormous tones back-to-back.

I think you have to develop a love for the character and universe first before you can go back to those old stories. The "dated" aspects can lessen your enjoyment if it's your first exposure, but once you've gained some knowledge of Dredd, you can appreciate the earlier stories much more.

"Starting from the beginning" is just all around a bad idea for any long-running comic not by a single author.

Ignore that troglodyte, he trolls rec threads all the time. Don't let him derail good threads with his bullshit.

How much do you weight irl?

Why do you faggots always ask where to start when you know the best answer is AT THE FUCKING BEGINNING.
Just read it from the fucking beginning. Fucking dumb cunts.

that's not really the case with serial comics where there are usually well defined eras of varying quality
also shut up fag

I loved the practical effects, Mean Machine and the ABC Warrior were like sex to me.

I think if you're prepped for some camp adventures, you could enjoy it. Maybe check out some of the modern ones too.

Oh come on, the Stallone film is what introduced me to Dredd, and I love it.

That's probably because its the good Dredd movie.

The movie did have lots of very good practical sets and effects. Just take stallone Dredd out and add Urban, you got a perfect Dredd film.

>There are many stories that Dredd is a straight up action hero.
That's not much different than saying that since Goddamn Batman exists, Snyder's Batmanslaughter is justified. Stallone's Dredd is not quintessential Dredd, Urban's is.
>1000% more in depth with lots of locations compared to Dredd
Like I said, yes, It has more, but it feels like a theme park ride. While Urban movies' setting may not be as rich on details and scenery, it actually feels like a distopic shithole.

>Just take stallone Dredd out and add Urban, you got a perfect Dredd film.
Urban is a talentless manlet, Stallone was perfect casting.
Urban looks like someone put a Dredd helmet on a pug.

More than he lifts. A lot more.

My beef with Urban MC1 is that it makes too much sense. Stallone MC1 wasn't utterly insane but it was far closer to the comic MC1 versions that were a big part of getting me into Dredd.

Come on, one of them is above the Standardised Manlet Threshold and it isn't Stallone.

For Dredd 2012 I think they did great with the budget they had.

>Urban is a talentless manlet, Stallone was perfect casting.
kek
Urban is 185cm
Stallone is 177

youtube.com/watch?v=S7p2JJ_WGBI

Is that just an excerpt from the script, or the actual script had concept art in it?

So Judge Dredd is a woman now? But Sup Forums tells me that European comics a re supposed to be better than American ones.

>bait this pathetic
here's 2 (you)s, for charity

Don't know, it's from the illustrated script and visuals, but I don't think the "real" script had the concept art in it.

>Urban looks like someone put a Dredd helmet on a pug.

The story is that Jock, the artist, was brought in to do concept work for the movie after a couple of pieces he'd done for fun got posted all over the internet as "SUPER SECRET CONCEPT ART FOR NEW DREDD MOVIE". The producers saw it and offered him a job doing the real thing.
After doing a bunch of pieces, the director asked Jock to draw an illustrated version of the script, a mix of storyboard and comic book to show around investors and the crew and give them an idea of how the movie was gonna look like.
A couple of years after the movie, that illustrated script got packaged with a ton of awesome concept art and sold. It's a pretty cool book.

Which Chief Judge is this supposed to be? MacGruder from the ponytail?

There's no real reason not to start from the beginning. There's some really good stories in there, like the robot uprising or when Dredd is stationed as Sheriff of the moon.

Yup. The script never named her, but her description was "an elderly woman", so odds are they were thinking of good ol' Hilda when writing it.

FAZ U BIF

OOOOOOO NOU!

This is exactly why the new Dredd works.

We see a spectacular battle taking out a crazed gang, But for Dredd it's just another day on the job.

And it also works beautifully as a contrast to Anderson, for whom this is the most important day of her life.

Don't recognize bottom left. What's it all about?

It's Lost at Sea by Bryan Lee O'Malley. I put it there as a sort of placeholder for all his work. If you like Scott Pilgrim. It's a cute one off graphic novel about teenage angst and shouldn't be too expensive now.
Yup, Journey Into Mystery. One of the best Marvel runs in recent times, and great use of the shared universe.

Seeing how this thread is wlos I will use it to storytime

>wlos
Slow ! ...don't know how I mess up this badly