What's the most dated Simpsons joke?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WlRV6yxZUSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=jlz0he9rtKw
youtube.com/watch?v=mk8R4PoR9II
nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/ford-on-the-phone/n8613
hardballtimes.com/the-burns-smithers-question/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A joke being "dated" doesn't mean it literally has a date. That episode and the cap you have from it are still hilarious even with the specific date.

A dated joke is one that is so rooted in its time that it can't be funny anymore. Like a really topical Judge Ito joke during the OJ trial, or making fun of some specific political thing that has long since been forgotten.

Uhh.... Those are early 90's Baseball players. People that were only famous briefly in the 90's. It's the definition of dated.

Which doesn't mean the episode isn't great, it is, but everything in the episode screams "Made in the 90's!"

> long dead in North America
> wikipedia says this brand is still being sold in the UK and Australia

I have literally never watched a game of baseball and still enjoyed the jokes in that episode without knowing how they relate to the personal qualities of those specific players.

And...? You should laugh, it's a great episode. But it's a 90's episode with very specific 90's reference that could only be made in the 90's. It's the definition of "Dated."

>doesn't watch baseball

End yourself

I remember when this was a new episode.

A guy saves a baby from a fire, then a cat, then a piano, and eventually all of the furniture

Yeah that'd only be funny if it were ....... that guy

That's not dated

can confirm. sometime the ads still play

Pogs will never be outdated.

Pogs are so memic in their datedness that everyone will remember what they are, even a thousand years in the future long after the last pog has rolled off the press.

Jose Canseico, the 90's baseball player saving random items in a fire makes it dated. You couldn't make a Jose Canseico joke in the 70's, and few people would know who he was in the 10's. Granted Jose Canseico had a long career so that section isn't as dated as other sections in that episode, but the entire episode is dated.

Seriously, am I being trolled here? For some reason you're confusing the term "Dated" with "quality". Dated has nothing to do with quality, there are some dated jokes that are extremely funny.

Wasn't the joke that pogs were just as outdated as Alf by the time that episode was made?

Is it only funny cause it was Canseico. I thought it was just an amusing extension of the saving babies trope. Is there some Canseico relation that i dont get making it funnier?

I am only just learning that the personalities of the baseballers related to the jokes at all.

Still thought it was funny before

Yes.

The point is the jokes aren't dated even if the references were. If a joke is still accessible to this day then it's not dated. Dated would be if the actual punchline relied on a reference that only people from that time period would understand.

By your train of thought any piece of historical fiction would be "dated"

No it's literally the opposite, Canseico made them put that part in because he wanted to appear heroic or some shit. They scrapped whatever joke they specifically had planned for him.

If you can insert any person into the joke and it's still funny it can't be dated

youtube.com/watch?v=WlRV6yxZUSQ

I'm going to go with everyone thinking homer was gay or crazy for wearing a pink shirt to work.

YES! Stuff relating to a certain DATE is DATED! By Jove you're getting it! Quality has nothing to do with whether something is Dated (Home at Bat is regularly rated as one of the top 5 Simpson episodes). That Baseball episode could only be made in the 90's.

You have it opposite. If a generic person does the joke then it's not dated. If random person that was only famous for a certain while is inserted into the joke to make it timely then that joke will become dated. A stupid president joke is timeless. A stupid Dubya joke or a stupid Clinton joke is dated, especially if it's the same joke with the president replaced.

i think youre being dumb

You are so dense. dated =/= old.

Your example is full of dated jokes because the punchlines of those jokes is puns based on things that were relevant for a short while. None of the punchlines in that Simpsons episode are actually related to the time period. Someone watching the episode could assume all the players are made up names and it would still work.

LOL, I do think I'm being trolled.

Do you agree that Two Bad Neighbors is dated? It's specifically stars former president George H. W. Bush. It could only be made in the 90's. George H.W. Bush hasn't been relevant in decades. Yet the majority of jokes aren't about George H.W. Bush but about him taking the roll of an elderly Mr. Wilson to Bart's Dennis the Mennace. It's a good episode but the episode is very dated.

Not so much a joke, but the idea that being 300lbs was considered disabling less than 20 years ago is pretty baffling to me.

a stupid Nixon joke is not dated, because the concept of a dumb politician is easily grasped and people readily understand the humor. The specific person doesn't matter in the context of the joke.

however, a Watergate joke can be dated, because it is a reference to a specific event, and not knowing Nixon's history with paranoia and wiretapping legitimately makes the joke less relatable

Here's a better question: did you think the Gerald Ford joke at the end of the of the episode was dated when it came out? Since Ford hadn't been president in over a decade? No? Then guess what, moron, neither is the baseball episode.

Did the Super Nintendo suddenly stop existing?

>Americans missing out on chicken tonight
I feel bad for you

I hate baseball and all of the players played before I was born.
>Best Simpsons episode ever

Don't Blame me, I voted for Kodos is a very dated episode.

I don't know, Let's check with this user over here: >Dated would be if the actual punchline relied on a reference that only people from that time period would understand.

The point of the joke was that Ford was as clumsy as Homer. I didn't get that joke because I wasn't around in the 70', but Ford was infamous for falling. This user says it's dated.

>BUT HE'S BACK
>IN POG FORM

Well he's dead now so yeah.

>makes a comparison to a current fucking event
>durrhurr joking that the two party system is a scam is dated

It probably involves some cameo by a celebrity who was only popular for a short time in the 90s

Ahh, yes, a cameo with Michael Jackson back when he first became white.

I said "when it came out" but I accept your answer

>The point of the joke was that Ford was as clumsy as Homer

He played COLLEGE BALL you know. I think the point of the joke was more that he was dumb than he was clumsy. Maybe people just aren't as brushed up on US presidents as I thought.

The entire franchise.

What's the joke?

A dated joke would be Madonna's "im british" line because only people who payed attention to madonna at the time would have gotten it.
Pro baseball players joining a local company baseball team is hilarious regardless of date, because they were pro baseball players.
Op thinks something being out of date is the same as dated.
Dated is more like being past its expiration date

I believe it was to show how fancy/pretentious the place was
Now all schools have websites.

I was a kid, 10 to 12, when pogs first hit and became popular and I still have no idea what they even are or what you do with them. With trading cards I can understand, especially there's a game to go with them. But I don't remember anyone doing anything with pogs beyond keeping them in a plastic tube.

After Ford slipped while getting off of an airplane he was sort of known for being clumsy.

youtube.com/watch?v=jlz0he9rtKw

Watch Saturday Night Live, Chevy Chase always portrayed Ford as falling and tripping.

youtube.com/watch?v=mk8R4PoR9II

Sort of like how they portray Trump as an avid tweeter or Dubya as being slow.

Bart mentioning Kool Moe Dee in I Married Marge. Bet you he wouldn't know that name now.

There was a game you could play with them. Though, truthfully I don't think anyone actually played pogs, just collected them.

the super what?

Coca-Cola did a pog promotion once, exchange bottlecaps for pogs. You stacked the pogs up and threw a plastic disk called a slammer at them. Any pogs that flipped over belonged to the kid who flipped them.

>tfw you will never have a alf pog of him playing a guitar or shaving

this 2bh

Far as I can remember every school in my area had their website on the sign outside just like that.

This might be the most dated. It wasn't a very good joke to begin with, and has to be explained in order to get any sense of why it may have been funny.

yep, that's dated

That shit looks gross, Ragu marinara sauce makes me want to vomit

Its not even clear its meant to be a joke now

obviously he means Mapple computers and founder Steve Mobs

>Ozzie Smith
>Ken Griffey Jr
>Wade Boggs
>Jose Canseco
>Famous briefly in the 90's

Every guy in that picture is a hall of famer with the possible exceptions of Steve Sax and Canseco.

>with the possible exceptions of Steve Sax and his run in with the law.

The whole issue of this thread is that OP doesn't understand what "dated" means. He is assigning his own meaning to a word that has an established meaning.

Ignore him and just talk about good Simpsons references.

>SO DATED

I always interpreted it as being a confusing url since it ends in "net.edu"

Here in Latin america Pogs or Tazos are still popular. Alf... not so much.

>Good work boys, looks like we can close the case on every unsolved crime in New York City.

>You've been watching too many movies, Sax!

>But officers, there are hundreds of unsolved murders in New York City every year!
>You just don't know when to shut up, do ya, Saxy boy?

>Chevy Chase always portrayed Ford as falling and tripping
nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/ford-on-the-phone/n8613

Hah, that was funny as hell

I don't, but I figured it would be the same as naming your dog M.C Hammer or Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, the original gag involved him missing the game due to having a hell of a night with Mrs. Krabappel

They took the original gag of him sleeping with Mrs. K out because his wife complained about it.

The ending to Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington.

who's the African?

You seem to be confusing the colloquial use of the term "dated joke" with the formal definition of the word dated.

>however, a Watergate joke can be dated, because it is a reference to a specific event, and not knowing Nixon's history with paranoia and wiretapping legitimately makes the joke less relatable

Watergate and Nixon's paranoia are too widely known to ever really be dated. I'd say tha'd be more of a historical reference.

Like the gag where Grandpa Simpson hears JFK say "Ich bin ein Berliner" and thinks he's a Nazi would also be a historical reference, not a dated one.

>The whole issue of this thread is that OP doesn't understand what "dated" means. He is assigning his own meaning to a word that has an established meaning.

I was just making a joke by posting a screenshot with a literal date in it. I hadn't even replied until now.

The Simpsons could have invented totally fictional baseball players instead of actual ones for their episode, and it would have been just as funny because it's not like any of the jokes depended on intimate knowledge of their personal history.

Just some diplomat.

During Krusty gets Kancelled a bunch of celebrities guest star as themselves to help Krusty with the comeback special, all of them are dead or irrelevant now so pretty much all of the jokes involving them fall flat.

I didn't even know cable used to have a separate awards show.

We still see this in New Zealand

Anyone MTV related

yeah, you... really dont know what "dated" means, do you?

I have always wondered if those were real players.

PogChamp

Sci-fi TV and film references will never age because nerds. Which the Simpsons staff was full of back then.

That article the WSJ did looking back at "the Springfield Files" last week was amusing. At least for the fact that Al Jean got a call after the episode from Paul Fusco (The voice of Alf) saying "If you're gonna do Alf again, call me and let me do the voice".

>Watching baseball or any other derivative of cricket

Here you go, boss. They were all real.

hardballtimes.com/the-burns-smithers-question/

Oh come the fuck on.

>stairs are slippery because it's raining
>man falls because of it
>liberals mock him relentlessly and ruin his reputation because of it

Typical.

This still remains one of my favorite bits.

>there are dipshits here that don't understand the difference between "dated" and "old"
An episode with certain guest actors like Homer at the Bat isn't dated, you dumb fucks. "Dated" comes from the -concept- of the -joke- being a product of the times, not the content.

A joke that has a character in its set-up, like George HW Bush, isn't dated unless the joke itself is dated by topical content. If for example the joke were that George HW Bush joins N'Sync or another boy band with the expectation that the audience would view this as a move that hip young people would like, that would be dated. If the joke were that George HW Bush moves in across from Homer and they hate each other, it's not dated because the concept is centered on a conflict between characters.

Test it:

Put (Dracula/Harry Houdini/Julius Caesar) in a boy band. Wow, that's dated.

Have (Dracula/Harry Houdini/Julius Caesar) move in across from Homer and become his enemy. Wow, that's not dated.

I would say that 9/10 of the people here are fucking morons for not getting this.

I think the joke is the joke about Krusty accidentally using an extremely dated episode to cover him not going live is dated.
Though it helps that Krusty is somehow an immortal clown who's had a tv show since practically the invention of television.
Wouldn't Homer at Bat be dated since they were expressly chosen because they were all the hottest Pro Players at the time?

Context?

>Wouldn't Homer at Bat be dated since they were expressly chosen because they were all the hottest Pro Players at the time?
No. Again, it comes down to concept. Drafting ringers for a softball game isn't a dated concept. Who the players are is irrelevant, because you could remake the episode every year with a new roster and intrinsically it would still work.

Apple is a phone company to most people.

I believe they're showing a rerun