How's Your Webcomic? #331

/hyw/
Because apparently I'm the only one who can be bothered edition.
Post your shit (quality content is also technically allowed)

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
zyxcity.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on,
Ask for an invite in the thread.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

Got any other useful links? We need more. Share that shit.

FINALLY finished the animation backdrop here. All of the lighting, screens and robots are on separate layers so they can be animated in the finished product. Now I just need to add the front of the desk and a few other miscellaneous set pieces and it will be totally finished.

I added the weird purple lighting at the bottom there to make sure the character would be easily differentiated. I'm not sure it looks good so if anyone else has any ideas I'd be interested in hearing them.

well done

hey Abnor guy, you around? couple spelling and grammar fixes to make. some I'm not sure if they were intentional

Since i posted it at the deathbed of the last thread.

Why don't we have topics of the thread anymore?
Because i'd like to know your opinions on backlogs. Currently i plan to have 5-10 pages in advance, so that i can fall back on them in case i don't get to finish a page on time. What's your opinion on it? Have a safety, or do you like to respond to feedback faster and keep your stuff more fresh?

We ran out and people rarely ever discussed them anyway.
As for buffer strips, everyone should have them. You do way better creative thinking when you don't have a deadline breathing down your neck.

I doubt I could resist the itch to post them all at once.

Finished this page!

I think they are absolutley essential for any webcomic, that's why I'm going to be trying to build back up my buffer tonight.

>5-10 pages in advance
What's your release schedule?

>just a few minutes
snert
I think that should be 'guilty of' rather than 'in violation of'.. unless you want to change 'illegal amputation' to 'the anti-amputation ordinance'

1 page per week with a very detailed style. I will start posting them when i think i have enough to "hook" people, so that i can kinda pressure myself to dedicate a day of the week solely for drawing.

shut the fuck up coldfusion.

anybody else know this feel

I know this feet

So in order to practice i'm gonna make a short comic about an endangered alien.

woa really neat composition. Have you done other comics so far?

what feel would that be? are you having trouble? because it looks like you have it mostly down, with just two incorrect paradigms holding you back:
>toes go straight across (they should be further out as you get to the big toe)
>bottom of foot is a flat plane like my action figures (it's quite round actually. no need for a line there on the heel end of the sole)

also you seem to be drawing a little poomp line under the big toe when really it's closer to the center and only visible some of the time. it's not like a thumb that has its poomp line right there next to it.

dammit I keep getting stuck lately on one little detail that I just can't leave blank because it's going to lead to something later

I need a name for a race of half human, half beast like Centaurs, Minotaur, Harpy,..etc That isn't furry nor having an animal pun name.
I'm thinking of just using Latin words or make it an anagram

>old thread image

boy

greek or latin root combinations work well. What is this race a combination of?

superior thread image

though what we should really do is alternate, to avoid duplicate file errors

You can go for some kind of terse description. I always liked the Deep Ones from lovecraft's stuff, it legitimately sounds like what people would call a half-revered/feared race of fish people. Fancy sounding words aren't a requirement.

Which avatar should I go with for myself?

Beast (mammal/animal) + human
The race was made when the god of flesh try to combine the mind of man with the body of beast to impressed Gaia
The beast/man was create but not total perfect, some have whole bottom animal, some have only 1 part human, other just humanoid animal, no human walk on 4 legs and think like an animal tho because they are quickly become food for the others or died out because they are too weak.
So only the half beast/half human or antho lives. They are intelligent enough to gain free will and form themselves a single type of race ( still with many different classes, nations)
I would if they were some kind of powerful or mysterious races but these guys are more sociable kind

anagram probably isn't a good idea...
sometimes it helps to look at the existing etymologies. Harpy for example means 'snatcher' in greek (which, come to think of it, means we shouldn't be making them half-vulture like we usually do. they can't grab shit with their claws very well)
kentauros means 'piercing bull' and describes people, tribes, and a constellation all known for killing bulls with spears.. so either the centaurs or the people or things they were named after were known for that. minotaur in turn, a bull sired by a famous guy named Minos.
so basically it boils down to what this race is known for or associated with.
So they aren't all the same animal, or even all the same form? earlier you said not furry, but you're saying some of them ARE humanoid animals?
usually races that aren't consistent like this get called generically "beastmen"
you could also go with 'therians' or something

Are you naming them from an internal perspective or an external one? I mean, if there were a bunch of vaguely related animal people around interacting with humans "Beast Men" or something could work. Did you have a name for you god of flesh? It would make sense if they had a name derived from that given it's their literal maker. Or are you trying to name all the subspecies too?

what really helped me were those hand and foot challenge packs when I couldn't draw feet at all. Do like 50 feet and you start to get the hang of it.

Yeah, they are not exactly the same species. Beastmen is quite generic, so that why I need another name.
Its kinda like calling human...human but we have different races with different skin tones, body shape, abilities, preferences.
I want something like that for the "beastmen" to create some kind of world building to it so any kind of "beastmen" can exists.
The god of flesh is Visury, subspecies have their own name but mostly will be animal pun or taken from mythology

Steal "chimera" from Fullmetal Alchemist.

They could absolutely be Visurians or Visurites
You could also go with something like "The combined" or "The knitted" or whatever Visury metaphorically did to create them.

honestly, if the subspecies have their own names, I don't see why beastmen can't be their more general name.

eh the problem there is chimera is already A) a generic term for combination animals (and usually the ANIMAL kind, not part human kind), and B) a specific term for lion-goat-snake/dragon greek chimerae

fair enough though, chimera just means 'yearling nannygoat', the kheima part on its own just means winter, so..

Beastman is generic certainly, but that's probably what most outsiders would go for, not everyone is going to care enough to learn their specific name for themselves.

Given the gods name though, Visurians maybe as a whole? Or something fancier with that root. Perhaps add some adjective for the subspecies, like "Feline Visurian". Or give them a name related to some purpose they believe they serve or niche they fill, like Visurian of the Sea or something.

Most native tribes have names that basically mean " people" or "people of the " or are taken from a landmark or something. Humans really name themselves with how they relate to other humans, I think, so you can try and follow that same logic with these.

Because Beastmen/beastman are used by other races like demons, human, goblin as an insult or slang.
Its like calling human "hairless ape" or "walking money"
I want a name that the races would usually use, like Vifen or Fevian. I still have to think of their planet tho, probably just a copied of earth with a really messed up ecosystem

Or since they were apparently created as a gift for Gaia, there MIGHT be something in that, though most ideas I can think of are pretty corny.. you can't very well call them Offerings or The Given

Ah okay, having an insult-name is good. Fleshes a setting out nicely.
Putting F and V in the same name close together is a little hard to say. Fevian is close to Ferian though, which works. good solid furry term. I'd still go with Theroids or Therians or Therianoids or something like that.
If they're from another planet then you have yet another great name to go with, the name of the planet.

Alright man, Thenroids/Therians/Therianoids is probably would be used for those who reject their Flesh God who made them as a mere object for another and decided to strive out and form their own nation, creating a civil war.

The planet would be Fortnax ( its basically mean Forge) or Sothu ( A zoo)

hey Legend of the Hare guy
I just caught up. good shit. I didn't know you were the same as the Saffron and Sage guy.. see now I really wanna read that, but as mentioned before, the shit doesn't load.. is that just me?

What are the types of animators there are for a making a cartoon?

All I know is that theres a story board artist, then the animator, then the person that cleans it up. Please tell me the details.

You should watch Animation Runner Kuromi, a 2-episode OVA. They explain it nicely and entertain in the process!
but to summarize: storyboard, keyframe, inbetween, colorist, plus a bunch of others involved in timing, editing, continuity, etc.

also not exactly the thread for it but we've had animation stuff in here before.

thanks dude

+10 anime girls for you

>girl

no. Its a blessing that 10 girls who look like the one in the pic will one day meet you irl.

No, I mean after countless time browsing Sup Forums, I'm starting to doubt every single darkskin in maid outfit is actually a girl and not a trap.

oh shit, well i hope i didn't end up summoning 10 dick girls to meet you then.

No need, I already meet over 10 of them already, and it's not ThaiLand

I'm considering buying a Wacom Intuos tablet. Of the non-pro ones, there seem to be 4 models: Draw, Art, Photo, and Comic.

As far as I can tell the only differences is that the Draw does not support multitouch (and is cheaper) and they all come with different software bundled. I've been looking through the specs listed on the site, and I can't seem to find any other differences.

Is the only difference between them the software that comes bundled?

Thanks in advance, and in exchange I'd be happy to answer any questions about web stuff if anyone needs any advice about that.

Ask /ic/, They have more experiences, I think

more buttons and pressure sensitivity = better

The Art, Photo, and Comic seem to have identical button layouts and pressure sensitivity, as well as the same size, dpi, and read speed.

Yeah, maybe I'll head over there.

WIP of the next page!

let us know what you find out. to me it looks like just a color difference

Maybe if we ignore him long enough, he won't see us...

Left one, none of your characters even look like the image on the right.

need some critiques on this be merciless

In the first frame, even if a character has two sets of eyes don't put one of them on his cheeks, it just looks weird. Other then that it's okey, where do you post your stuff?

Yuri Princess?

noted. wont be using him again in any panels, just a oneshot character. im buying a domain soon to start posting on there. gonna be at projectundergroundcomic.com.
nope tumblr user slut-bot here.

Beside photoshop what is the best program to color comics that I already inked traditionally?
I'm specifically interested on replicating the flat colors of vintage comics like pic related

honestly i like paint tool sai. im not a photoshop cs kinda guy. just scan your inks, desaturate the ink layer, and color on a layer beneath it and yr done

>panel 1
Horn guy has his hand all the way behind his ear as he's shouting. Nobody does that.
Four-eyes' ears don't line up, neither do his shoulders.
Cyclops' hand is way less detailed than horn guy's, although it's drawn much bigger.
Cyclops' ear looks like it's pointing forwards at a 45 degree angle
Inside of cyclops' mouth is way brighter than the outside.

>panel 2
Blue guy looks disgusted, not angry. Like he just smelled something unpleasant.

>panel 3
Why is there an arrow?
The ear is too far out from his head.

>guy on the right
The colored outline for the lilac is way too close to the shadow color. His hand looks like it's floating.
Having his irises touch the top and bottom of his eyes make them look like cylinders projecting out of his eye sockets, especially with the way they're going in front of one of his eyebrows.

General: It seems like you're deciding to use colored outlines or not solely on whether the outline goes up against a field of the same color or not. I suggest you start using black outlines on things that you want to separate, even if they're the same color (like the cyclops' hand in front of his face in panel 1) and use colored outlines on things that are together, even if it joins two different colors (like the neckhole of four-eyes' turtleneck)

I don't know about "best", but I know both Krita and GIMP, which are free, should be able to easily do what you're interested in.

>panel one
i made the mistake of not using anatomy references so i will be redrawing this page
>panel two
while he is somewhat disgusted i see your point he does look like somebody farted in his face lmao
>panel 3
he's looking down, the arrow was supposed to indicate that haha. and yeah i have really sticking out ears so i draw them that way ill try and work on lining up my ears and eyes in the future.
>guy on the right
yeah i didnt care for how his eyes turned out i knew that was an issue. as for the color, i can lower the intensity of the multiply layer
general: i think ill start being more choosey about which parts i make colored outlines. if the whole thing is a colored outline it looks weird, but if i dont use colore doutlines it doesnt look quite right either

thanks so much for the input, i appreciate it.

>he's looking down, the arrow was supposed to indicate that
Don't worry about drawing attention to characters' eyes - it's the first thing everybody looks at.
> i can lower the intensity of the multiply layer
Try making the outline darker, first.

How'd you folks feel about a quest comic? For example someone rolls for dubs and suggests the next plot point, something like that

It's just basically bundled software.

Intuos Comic comes with Clip Studio Paint, which is a damn fine art program and really the only one you're likely to need and use. I went with Art because I already had CSP, but I've never gotten around to using the Corel Painter it's bundled with.

Note: Wacom rebranded their products a couple of years ago. Intuos used to be a top end product right below Cintiq, but now it's basically their entry level model.

I personally prefer my older bamboo connect. I've had less problems with the driver fucking up.

Absolutely necessary. It gives you breathing room, it gives you time to plan in advance (one piece does this) and just like you said, its a good just in case you couldn't work on it.

This comic is embodiment of tumblr

Bump.

I'm here... I don't think there are intentional misspellings in this page. Please tell me, what did we mess up?

alright my first /hyw/ post. So I am working on a PowerGirl fan comic, it's just a hobby of mine. was thinking of going with this art style. I still need to do better with the hair but this is what I am kinda going for.

What to do Peej justice after they ruined her in Nu52.

>Almost all face shots, at the same angle
>"First Panel" is the entire right side of the page, making reading awkward.
All of these lead to the page feeling extremely fucking cramped.

>Using a half-page figure for impact, but not having any overlap or any sort of eye-catching pose.
>Everyone is looking AWAY from the GIANT FIGURE ON THE PAGE
>Everyone is 3/4s perspective
>No backgrounds
These make this entire layout a waste: you would have been better off with a pinup page of the same thing with a little inset panel of the albino's reaction at the bottom. That way you'd have a full page to have an eye-catching shot of the albino, you'd get to have the monsters without a panel disconnect, and you'd have space to draw a background.

Pretty much every major drawing program lets you color the way photoshop does.

In today's comic, time passes with no sign of Lord Remington...

zyxcity.tumblr.com/

Neat looking characters

>anime
could have sworn that one was from Rune Factory Oceans. but maybe that's not her, she had glasses

hehe, bathrobe samurai.
you seem to be drawing her belt UNDER her front-seams though.

Love 'em but this isn't the place to solely get suggestions.
You CAN however do one like Bug Quest where you ask for suggestions in here by posting us the updates so we're right alongside your other readers, and we'll just go to your site and do the suggesting there, where it goes.

look at LEAST slide the looking-back eye minipanel upwards somewhat
it's really hard to think of two eyes side by side as being the same eye moving in two panels. it's just not how we're wired.
also evil kitty is cute.

>tfw I'm gonna get paid $200 for a single comic page
I guess my time finally came nerds

It's a fetish comic, isn't it.
Why am I even humoring you, the page doesn't exist.

well perhaps intentional grammar. like "the police IS impotent" is intentional, right? since it should be "are" even in american english
in panel 11 Tadeu briefly slips into present tense "happen" instead of past tense "happened" before moving back into the past tense "Arrived".. but granted, a lot of people tell stories like that.
and then the big one, it's archaeologist, not archeologist. you wrote that one about seven times so be thorough
and I don't know what a uiara is but that looks weird to me.

also this page makes me laugh so fucking hard. their imaginary versions of each other are priceless

That sure is some realism... at a distance. are you sure you can handle this kind of art? Might need more practice first.
Good hairstyle at least, though I've always been partial to the Galatea version

I'm still deliberating over how I want to fix that. I got delayed so I'm kind of stressing out and focusing on finishing up the things I know I want to keep, first.

>"the police IS impotent" is intentional, right? since it should be "are" even in american english
yes, unless you're talking about the band

right. in which case only british english would say 'are'
in american english you'd say 'the police department is' because we have a higher level of synecdoche, but british english would still say 'the police department are'
I wonder if some of that is hypercorrection, because using 'is' when you should use 'are' is a stereotypical american gangster way of talking.

How do you guys find a personal style
I studied manga then classical drawing for some time when I was young. I'm by no means a good artist so I'm in an awkward phase where I can only drawn following strict anatomic figures that end up being wrong when in fact I'd rather drawn in a more comic, more "caricatural" manner.
It's like an automatic process, I draw a face following all the rules I learned and it's really hard for me to deviate from that.

Kinda bummed today. Found out that the newspaper I've been working under the last 5 months won't start paying me until Spring. The good part is that they've still published all of my work every week, the bad is that I doubt I'm going to see a penny from any of the stuff I previously did

Your lines are a bit iffy. While the actual weight is on spot, the artistic decision to change its color comes off confusing more than anything. Either go full in with it or don't. The style works for hair because not every curl is portruding in an extreme manner. But compare that to the left eyebrow on the figure covering the right side of the page and it looks like the eyebrow is apart of the hair. It's appropriate there to make the eyebrow stick out with a solid black outline as it, y'know, outlines the eyebrow. Also your noses look the same. Adding those small lines on noses contributes nothin. On top of all of that, really work on how your facial proportions. Just because a character has 4 eyes or 1 giant eye doesn't mean you can skip over the rules of anatomy. The 4 eyed guy, for instance, comes off weird since the second pair of eyes seem to est on his cheeks. If that was intentional, it was poorly communicated. If it was not intentional, then you really gotta work on how you distribute facial features on a character's head
I use photoshop. Just use threshold on the pic to make it black and white, add a new layer, change that new layer to multiply, and go crazy. The nice thing with multiply is that its automatically set to black so it only colors the white space of an image

For me it's all about finding certain shapes pleasant and fun to draw. I think the eyes will guide you, what shape do you think makes a good eye? acorn shape? rounded pentagon? arch-topped rhombus? just straight up circles?

>How do you guys find a personal style
"Your style" is simply the intersection of your skillset and your personality.
Try to get as many tools in your toolbox as possible (the breadth of techniques involved is why it's recommended that everyone study realism) so you'll be able to express your ideas, and don't worry about your style aside from that.

What does your contract say?
I feel like the problem with the extra eyes isn't that they're on the cheeks, as several people have said, but that they're tareme eyes. Mismatching eyes really messes with our understanding of expression, where everything is typically unified
Whereas those weird aliens in that Superman episode have their weirdly-placed eyes all united in their expression

They kinda screwed it up. Turns out I needed to go to a second party to legitimize everything. So pretty much I only now officially signed up and I've been put on the spring payroll

Counterpoint: The alien in that one episode of Superman tas does follow its own rules of anatomy. The extra face rests on the eyeball's top and forms a mouth around the bottom eyelid. Its placed in an area that does not contradict with other elements of the face.

I don't think eyelid-eyes are any more contradicty than cheek-eyes. They just have to match.
If I did cheek-eyes, not only would I make sure they matched, I'd probably face them slightly outward, like the outer eyes on a jumping spider, so they didn't get in the way of the face as much. I might also elongate the face somewhat.
But there's a reason that most people put extra eyes on the forehead instead: foreheads just seem like better real estate. Nice solid piece of skull, plus then you have a normal forehead above those eyes, if abbreviated

I love Galatea, Yeah the art thing I do need more practice for sure but this is a hobby so I am doing it at my own pace.

I guess my point is, the character in user's webcomic is distinctly human aside from the obvious extra pair of eyes. And because of how inconsistent the features are, the eyes are placed on a part of the face that have a lot of complicated indents. It's not like the art style is gong for a super-cartoony look to it making it kinda jarring. Like you said, the forehead is a really good place to place eyes because of how empty it is. And for the alien creature, its placement works because its design doesn't have to follow the standards of human anatomy. I think that the 4 eyed character should be redesigned from the ground up with both these points in mind. Either they should commit to the human likeness and place the eyes in a manner that would benefit the face's look or go and make a new design that is built around the placement of the eyes. Pic related, 2 good examples of the former and latter

yeah good point, it helps a lot if they aren't so human

why bc it has brown ppl? or bc its shit art?