The Lion King is the best thing Disney ever produced

>Kino soundtrack written by both Hans Zimmer and Elton John
>epic animation with meticulous level of detail with animal movements
>beautiful matte paintings of African landscapes
>Shakespeare drama with lions
>best villain song
>spawned one of the most successful Broadway shows
It was literally all downhill after this.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BycldOKa5os&list=PLiw2DklNQgYlDB4rTXhlvQUHUbm38Ijm6
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's the greatest animated movie ever tbqh

Now go listen to Rythms of the Pride Rock.

youtube.com/watch?v=BycldOKa5os&list=PLiw2DklNQgYlDB4rTXhlvQUHUbm38Ijm6

>Akira

It's not even the best disney movie...

Why do underage fags keep saying this shit. Lion King is literally the worst fucking disney movie of the 90's. I liked Pocahontas more than that shit. It's basically the generic story of Hamlet but with animals. Name one interesting aspect that Simba (the main fucking character) has?

You have a generic villain, a farting warthog, and your cliche "parent dies moment".

The music was average with the only memorable song being Be Prepared which most of it wasn't even sung by Jeremy Irons and the redundant hakuna matata. No Circle of Life wasn't good. It was shit. For fucksake Hellfire was a much better villain song than anything in the Lion King.

You wanna talk about the animation and the landscape paintings when films like Sleeping Beauty and Hunchback are objectively better animated with far more detail in the art.

Everything about this trash film is overrated. I honestly believe it's one of the worst things Disney has ever made. Saludos Amigos is a better fucking movie than Lion King and that shit is garbage too. It did nothing innovative or do anything even remotely interesting that hasn't already been done long before it ever came out.

>the best Disney movie
>is not the best Disney movie
It is though.

Is this pasta? Or you trying to make this pasta?

The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King. Disney couldn't miss in the early to mid 90s. How did these movies have multiple great songs and now most Disney movies struggle to have 1?

It's not though, the correct answer is the hunchback. Lion king is probably 5th best if we're being completely honest.

Excuse you moana had 4 good songs.

Eh, I disagree. I think Moana had to many songs

>implying Disney didn't peak in 1940

I rewatched Hercules the other day and I think it's my new favorite. It made me dislike Moana more for not having a more Polynesian art style to fit the setting that I believe Hercules did the Greek vase painting style exceptionally well.

Frozen and Moana have been heavy hitters.

>is this pasta
>sentences that directly respond to what OP says in his post.
Are you illiterate?

More songs? Compared to what?
You're welcome
We know the way
Where you are
Shiny.
All great songs.

>expecting 3D movies to have distinctive styles

Hercules is a fantastic disney movie but I fucking love James woods.

>african lions

>look and sound white as fuck

also this movie stole from a Japanese animated cartoon

Why is there a woman's ass on the poster?

What the hell does a black lion look like? You mean they should of dress more like Africans?

>STOP LIKING WHAT I DONT

Simba the main character had a great arc. He goes through the rebellious, arrogant, entitled brat to a disgraced, outcast, misfit loser to return as an alpha chad.

How is Scar a generic villain? He's one of the most iconic disney villains for a reason. He's manipulative, charismatic, Machiavellian, and has a great song.

Hellfire is good. I'll give you that. But Lion King is high tier and hence why it has a successful television show going on today plus multiple movie sequels.

You sound like you enjoy hating movies/film etc., more than you look to actually enjoy them (half of Sup Forums).

Stay mad, don't know if you know another way.

The jungle book

everything past the first movie is complete garbage though so it shouldn't really matter in a discussion related to quality

This movie is overrated as fuck to be honest

Moana was awful. A lot of dumb fuck instrumentation obliterating the comfy Polynesian vibes. And that's before taking the garbage lyrics from the Hamilton twerp into account. I think it was only successful due to the newfound love of ethnicity Hollywood has been riding. Trivialising our entire culture to make a buck. I hate it.
t. Maori user

>Simba the main character had a great arc. He goes through the rebellious, arrogant, entitled brat to a disgraced, outcast, misfit loser to return as an alpha chad.
all phases that every kid character has except a lot of them were handled more efficiently unlike LK which was stale as shit.
>How is Scar a generic villain? He's one of the most iconic disney villains for a reason.
To who? I have never had a conversation with Disney fans where Scar is brought up. People talk about the Evil Queen, The Devil, Jafar, and Hades. No one ever mentions Scar. Also popularity doesn't mean shit when we're talking about quality.
>He's manipulative, charismatic, Machiavellian, and has a great song.
These are all just shit opinions. I could name thousands that have the same traits and are still much better
>Hellfire is good. I'll give you that
No shit
>But Lion King is high tier
Shit tier compared to the absolute best films.
>hence why it has a successful television show going on today
That's garbage
>plus multiple movie sequels.
Almost everything from that decade has a sequel. Mulan, Aladdin, Pocahontas. I don't get your point. Nothing you say really says what's great about it. You just go on talking about it's success which doesn't make it good. Frozen was a huge hit and that film is trash too.

It really comes off like you want to make pasta, user. Either that, or you are extremely autistic...

>You sound like you enjoy hating movies/film
>hates on one film
Get a load of this faggot. Cant even handle criticism about his precious movie.

What is actually wrong with you? This is Seganfan-tier posting.

>Lion King
>5th
There is a reason this is one of the highest grossing animated films in American cinema, user.

>OP makes thread saying (this film) is the best ever
>user responds by saying it isn't
>sheesh what is wrong with you, user?

This thread is autistic as shit.

>being this literally mad

Honestly enjoyed the Broadway depiction of the film, but still enjoy the movie.

Hate and name-call all you want user, still won't change my opinion.

>writing literal paragraphs, offering nothing of real substance besides sperging out and getting mad that people like Lion King.
>just saying "it shit, you underage wahhh"
We know what bait looks like, kid.

>There is a reason this is one of the highest grossing animated films in American cinema, user.
This how Titanicfags respond. It's petty and they can't ever seem to actually come up with a valid argument.

Do you have an actual opinion with examples or do you just immediately dismiss things as "shit"?

And yes, people talk about Scar being a great villain all the time. We're fucking doing it right now in this thread moron.

>Success which doesnt make it good
Then what is a measure of a film supposed to be? These things are designed to make money and its success in the box office directly correlates to its appeal. The reason why we're talking about this movie decades after its release shows that it had an additional cultural impact as well. It has one of the most recognizable scores and songs in all of Disney Films.

Name one Disney film that isn't "shit" in comparison to the Lion King.

Titanic was good though. Nobody knows why you are so angry, user. Just relax. Give constructive opinions.

>We know what bait looks like, kid.
>person shits on something

Wow guys it must be bait! If you had followed the conversation you'd see your "substance". What I find amazing is the people responding to that post add even less substance to their argument but you don't say that they're baiting.

Just admit you're a butthurt fan and move on.

What argument would you like then, user?

I think the matte paintings are gorgeous, I think the attention to detail adds a level of immersion in the character design that future Disney films lack, I feel like the stakes in Lion King had weight and gravitas to them, more than other late 90s Disney films, I felt like the threat actually mattered and it carried a larger and more mystical tone that underpinned the film

This guy is just a hater. Typical contrarian who tries to be hipster obscure with the Hunchback of Notre Dame instead of recognizing great films. Titanic was an awesome film and is still quoted and talked about to this day as well as the Lion King. These films will be remembered like Casa Blanca and Gone With the Wind but this snowflake needs to have his misguided "kino" beliefs

Why don't you just actually explain why you dislike this movie so much, you hotheaded faggot?

>Name one Disney film that isn't "shit" in comparison to the Lion King.

Couldn't take your post seriously after reading this. It's the epitome of bait.

>I won't actually engage in debate.

giv nala gf

Now this faggle is trollin'.

Doesn't provide anything of substance to his argument and just dismisses with dumb cancer responses.

Says objectively one of the greatest animated films is shit and doesn't explain why at all

>This guy is just a hater.
"i'm mad"
>hipster obscure with the Hunchback of Notre Dame instead of recognizing great films.
Yeah sure showed him.
>Titanic was an awesome film
soooo good and romantic.
>These films will be remembered like Casa Blanca and Gone With the Wind
Films I've never seen but people say their good so i'm just going to lump in the movies I like with them.

This thread is the most cringe thing I've seen all day.

>Name one interesting aspect that Simba (the main fucking character) has?
Unabashed naivety and selfishness that is lost along with the death of his father, forcing him to adapt strict apathy and avoidance of his duties as a prince.

Pretty interesting for a dumb kids movie.

Hakuna matata user.
Ha-kuna Ma-ta-ta~

You literally aren't saying anything of value and making this thread cringe

>Says objectively one of the greatest animated films is shit and doesn't explain why at all
not the same guy but the argument was made all throughout the thread. I have been lurking most of the time and I have yet to see anyone give a constructive argument to anything he has being saying. It's all the other way around with them asking him to be more detailed while they haven't done anything at all. I like lion king but I don't see how any of this makes any sense. Why tell someone to do something when they aren't going to do the same.

He (you) isn't offering an argument, it is juat screeching.

You mean you. All you've been doing this entire time is bitching and samefagging because some user says your shitty movie is shit. You haven't done jackshit to make this thread any better but shitpost back.

This entire post reeks of bullshit

>argue a negative

>Samefag calling someone a samefag

Titanic was a great love story but it also had a lot of excellent acting and difficult set pieces and effects. You think filming the third act of that movie in water was easy?

And yes, I've seen those movies several times. Gone With the Wind is long as fuck and has a built in intermission.

I'm done with this troll. You're a contrarian idiot that doesn't provide any rationale or thought to your arguments and your life is cringe. Keep thinkin' you're a hot shot kino man while no one wishes you a happy birthday this year idiot.

Pretty much all of the animated films Disney released between 1937 and 1960 are better than Lion King.

>still so asspained.
Were you raped by your uncle in a Mufasa fursuit or something?

>Titanic was a great love story
No it wasn't

Woah, compelling argument there, how will he recover???

>I'm done with this troll. You're a contrarian idiot that doesn't provide any rationale or thought to your arguments and your life is cringe. Keep thinkin' you're a hot shot kino man while no one wishes you a happy birthday this year idiot.

Being this angry because someone doesn't agree with you. What has this board become. Crying little faggots everywhere.

>literally is acting like a crying faggot

>(you)

30% of male lions are gay. These are the loser lions. This is why homosexuals love the Lion King.

I made two posts in this entire thread. Don't project your autist issues onto me. I came in here thinking we were going to have a decent Disney thread.

Overrated

>2
>garbage
nah son

kek

I'd still take it over any anime film that came during the time. The art and animation alone makes it a worthy mention and beats pretty much anything posted in this thread.

I'm trying to. I asked this guy to elaborate on his critiques of the movie. He just gives dumb responses like "it's shit", "shit opinion", without any substantive response.

Now I may have went overboard with the name calling, but after the first bit of contrarian responses I would like to actually have substantive dialogue about the merits of this movie.

I agree with all of OPs statements, I agree that it is one of the best animated films of all time, and I agree that people have the right to disagree with me. I just ask that they provide some support to their opinion rather than dismissing mine with "SHIT OPINION LOL CRINGEY THREAD"

>I agree with all of OPs statements, I agree that it is one of the best animated films of all time
OP you aren't fooling anyone. Go to bed.

It is both at the same time

>one of the best animated films of all time

compared to what exactly? I get that someone can like the film but one of the best of ALL TIME? Are you nuts? If you take into consideration Japanese animated films and all the non Disney animated films from the 30's up until now, Lion King would not even be in the top 50.

fabulous bait

>I just ask that they provide some support to their opinion rather than dismissing mine

So basically you wan't people to provide shit that you yourself never bothered to give. You are as much of a faggot as he is.

Anyone with any sense knows the true greatest disney movie is Fantasia.

>I disagree so it must be bait
Nothing personal, kid

The Lion King is ranked 39 on Rotten Tomatoes top 100 animated movies and is the 8th highest grossing animated movie in history not adjusting for inflation with $968 million.

Name 50 animated movies better than the lion king, then

>Fantasia
That's quality right there. I liked 2000 too, Any movie that has Penn & Teller is automatically good.

>Rotten Tomatoes
Are you being serious right now? That is your be all and end all.

He can't because it's bait.

>Rotten Tomatoes

Aristocats is my favorite

Considering it's subjective, you don't need to be so defensive about it. I could name 100 but it wouldn't really matter. Everyone has different taste.

I didn't say Fantasia isn't a great movie- I love Fantasia. I got one of those wizard hats somewhere.
I'm not even saying Lion King is my favorite disney movie or even the best disney movie - I'm just saying reasons why it is a good movie and why I agree with OPs arguments. This guy just went off the rails on why it was shitty with no context. I gave support to my opinion and directly addressed his original complaints (Simba was boring and Scar was a bad villain).

>makes claim
>can't back it up
so its bait then

>my favorite movie is the best and anyone who says otherwise is baiting.

What is wrong with you kids.

>look and sound white as fuck

I mean, yea, James Earl Jones should have done his black voice.

>I gave support to my opinion and directly addressed his original complaints (Simba was boring and Scar was a bad villain).

You must be joking. That post had as much valid reasons as the one he typed up. You weren't giving actual detailed reasons to why they were good. Literally anyone could say "oh this character is smart, funny, charismatic, ect.." without actually explaining how they are those things in the context of the scene. Both of your arguments were weak and neither of you provided any real evidence to support your opinions.

but user the scene where they were eating bugs was so heartwarming. and it showed Simba's maturity as a character. He was also grossed out by it which means he's too grown up to eat bugs XD

This thread is shit and lion king aint even that good. Tarzan was the better jungle movie.

I guess you're right I just gave adjectives that described Scar's character and why I felt he was more nuanced and why I feel like he's a popular character.

I'm not going to type an essay about it. But you should know that Scar is more than a typical villain because he uses subterfuge and deception rather than brute force like typical cartoon villains, betrays and kills his King-Brother for ambition, and he has a catchy song.

Lion king is pleb kino. Mulan is patrician kino.

The fact that so many 90s kids still name the Lion King as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" Disney film ever only tells you how far Disney films are from becoming a serious art. Film critics have long recognized that the greatest films of all times are Citizen Kane and Vertigo, which were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Television critics rank the highly controversial The Wire over TV series that were highly popular. 90s kids are still blinded by films that were released around their birth year. The Lion King was released in the middle of their birth decade, therefore it must have been the greatest. Film critics grow up watching a lot of films of the past, TV critics grow up watching a lot of TV series of the past. 90s kids are often totally ignorant of the Disney films of the past, they barely know the ones actually made by Walt Disney. No wonder they will think that the Lion King is anything worthy of being saved.

Literally nothing but the Disney film that was released and sold well on DVD while kids born in the early 90s were young. That's it. That's the entire appeal. They try to retroactively project some fantastic depth onto it, not wanting to come off so simple-minded as to think the thing that came out when they were born is the best. The more reasonable explanation of course is that they watched it many times as children and will always have rose-tinted glasses on when they see and think about it.

How can you tell?

1. Most of them haven't actually seen many Disney films. They've seen the ones released in the 90s and the Little Mermaid and usually very few others, and they don't care to.

2. The Lion King isn't exceptionally well-reviewed. It's the 34th highest reviewed animated film on Metacritic, but this is even less exceptional as this list only seems to include films since 1990 or so. It holds a similar spot in the Rotten Tomatoes list. While the Oscars have failed many times to select the best films, the Lion King was not nominated for Best Picture, while Beauty and the Beast (a much better film) was three years earlier. This also means...

3. It's not particularly well thought of outside of 90s kids.

Anecdotally, I worked at a summer camp this past summer where the 19-year-old (born 1998) counselors would swear up and down that Mulan (1998) was the greatest Disney film ever. The 14 and 15-year-olds were most obsessed with the middle Pixar era. See how this works?

No 90s kids, that movie you watched the most as a child was not the GOAT.

hell no