Just seen the first episode, and i thought it was actually exciting

Just seen the first episode, and i thought it was actually exciting.
Good points:
- The Klingons look fierce, the writing and filming empathizes on their roots of honor and ritual.
- General pace is alright
- Visuals are good
Bad points:
- Calling Michael "Number one" feels a little too Star Warsy, and forcing the "this is my destiny" subtext.
- Again, the introduction of Michael and her character in the crew is too forced as the new "leader".
But overall, it's a good start and it will hopefully get better after. At least, it doesn't feel as stiff as Voyager.

>STD

>The Klingons look fierce

lol the klingons look like lady gaga drag queens. it's appropriate that you should use the word "fierce" because it's the word campgay homosex judges use when judging the next top model reality shows.

>std klingons
>fierce

Agreed, but I wish the scenes were a bit lighter.
The Number One thing is a TNG reference, with Riker and Picard.

>Calling Michael "Number one" feels a little too Star Warsy

voyager is a real star trek show about exploring an unexplored area of the galaxy.

std is just a chick drama show about "my destiny" and her dealing with relationships outside vulcan society and about the family drama among the klingons. they put an officer in the same cabin as a cadet because in chick drama show logic that's ok so that the girl and her bestie can have heart-to-heart talks about their love life before they go to sleep.

The only major criticism I have with it was that it was far too focused on the ""lead character""

Compare the first two episodes to 'The Encounter at Farpoint". It wasn't a Picard episode, we didn't spend the entire episode following Riker, we didn't delve into Data's background. It was an introduction to the crew and how they get shit done, we get to find out about their backstories and characters as the show progresses. It set the tone for the series, Star Trek is all about the ship and it's crew working together to do shit. Broken Bow, the crew is thrust into an extreme situation and it's all about them setting their roles on board and their own dynamic for the season. It's not an Archer episode, it's an episode that sets the tone and pace. There's no lead character in Star Trek, it's an ensemble.
>THIS IS MICHEAL BUT SHE'S A GIRL ALSO SHE WENT TO VULCAN SCHOOL AND IS SAREKS ADOPTED DAUGHTER LIKE FUNNY HOW SPOCK NEVER MENTIONED HER BUT OK LOL AND SHE'S REALLY GOOD AT EVERYTHING ALSO SHE CAN MIND MELD ACROSS SPACE ALSO SHE'S THE BEST ROCKET SUIT PILOT AND SHE'S LIKE SUPER VULCAN AND STUFF BUT ALSO HUMAN AND SHIT BECAUSE SHE TRIED OUTRIGHT TRIED TO MUTINY BECAUSE LIKE LOGIC AND SHIT BUT THEN SHE WAS SUPER SAD ABOUT HER CAPTAIN DYING AND SHE THEN MARTYRD THAT GUY BECAUSE SHE'S SO HUMAN EVEN AND SHIT. BUT ALSO STILL SUPER VULCAN. AND NEXT EPISODE WE GET TO SEE MORE OF STAR TREK: MICHEAL BURNHAM.
Judging from the little trailer on the end of the second episodes, the next episode is a Punished Micheal episode, and so are all the others this season.
Imagine a whole fucking season of Jadziah episodes. That sounds awful. A DS9 with no Bashir/Obrien episodes. A TNG with no Data episodes.
It feels like the writers have written a modern TV show about Micheal Burnham in the Star Trek universe. Not a Star Trek show.

But that's just the first 2 episodes and they weren't even on The Discovery. So maybe it'll fall into it's rhythm once the next episode airs.

the next episode is the "orange is the new black" episode with the sassy black woman having to deal with white male guards and other ethnic inmates until she proves herself smarter than any of them and gets pardoned

I guess punished micheal had too much potential.

>it was far too focused on the ""lead character""

the trailer and the cast featurette makes it clear that std is a relationship drama about her and her relationships.

trailer talks about her being lost with angsty teengirl song in the background.

cast talks about their characters in relation to her like the yeoh talking about her character mentoring her character teaching her how to be human. and there's even a love interest for her on the ship.

>campgay
>homosex
>next top model reality show
>lady gaga drag queens
maybe you really want to see a drag queen reality show instead

Voyager was a pain in the ass. Don't tell me it was about exploring, that's the basis of a Star trek show. But the captain was bland as fuck, and the other characters were not interesting mostly.

/Thread closed due to STD

>Good points:
> the writing

>starring Sonequa Martin-Green
dropped.

>starring Shoeshana Marvin-Gay

Michael is a fucking trainwreck of a character, a Mary Sue and magic nigger played by the hammiest 'actor' they could find. Michelle Yeoh was nothing special but not as derailing to the show as Mike and it doesn't like we'll be seeing much more of her anyway. All that said, Jason Isaacs could save the show, we'll have to wait and see.

It seems to be a good scifi series, but it doesn't feel like Star Trek.

>Don't tell me it was about exploring, that's the basis of a Star trek show

it's the basis of a real star trek show. voyager is about exploring. std is not. std is not a real star trek show. std is about relationship drama.

you just don't want to be told about exploring because you know std is not about exploring.

let me see ...
>breaking the prime directive
>commiting war crimes
yeah, roddenberry would have a great time watching this.

>defending lady gaga drag queen pretending to be klingons

you sound like someone who loves watching drag queen reality shows

>STD

Ma
Ma
>maniwani?
NO!
MICHAEL JACKSON!!

I don't give a fuck about gaga, and i don't care really about how the klingons look, they look ok to me as far as rubber masks go. I'm saying the writing made them credible to me.

sure, sweetie, i believe you

I actually liked the technobabble. It had enough in-universe plausibilty to not be cringey and it was an easy way to make the pilot seem less dumbed-down than the Kelvinverse movies despite its focus on conflict.

>Mary Sue
oh, using that term again, aren't we. So how exactly was she a "Mary Sue"?

I liked the really dry sense of humour

>Calling Michael "Number one" feels a little too Star Warsy, and forcing the "this is my destiny" subtext.

>These are the people you share Sup Forums with

No wonder you like STD.

why the fuck is she called michael? do vulcans have no gendered naming conventions?

You're as bad as those fucks that say Keith is the first black lead in Star Trek.

I feel like this question has been asked in every single Trek thread for DSC so far, a bazillion times
She just is
It's just something one of the writers likes doing

I just can't get over the fact that she's literally called Sonequa. The memes are real.

technobabble in star trek was always cringey, hell it's the fucking origin of the term

>pros:
>it looks nice
>it's not noticeably bad
>it looks nice

What a fucking plebe

... this is bait.

>std klingons
I hear prune juice can help with that

She's literally Spock's adopted half-sister who has never been mentioned before.

>HURRR I BET YOU LIKE TO LOOK AT HOMOSEXUALS ON THE TV

Grow the fuck up, you literal child.

Bad points

>they are hard to understand, the dialog sounds like 10 yearolds talking
>the actors can't emote and have a blank expression constantly
>the plot feels like it was written by a 12 yearold for an English exercise,

AND SPOCKS DAD WAS MY DAD AND HE TEACHES ME THE VULCAN WAYS AND I ROAD A SPACE SUIT AND KILLED A KLINGON AND EVERYONE AND I OUTSMARTED THE SHIPS SUPER COMPUTER WITH MY VULCAN LOGIC AND FLEW THROUGH SPACE WITHOUT A SUIT BUT I ADAPTED TO THE RADIATIONS

SPOCKS DAD LOVES ME MORE AND TALKS TO ME THROUGH SPACE

THEN ME AND THE CAPTAIN BEAMED TO THE KLINGON SHIP AND WE SHOT MORE KLINGON'S BUT THE CAPTAIN CANT HOLD A GUN

its not like Spock grew up with her or anything

I liked it too, at least enough to keep torrenting. But this board is about the worst place to talk about it unless you're trying to fuel a hateboner.

-michael was too hardcore tough guy most of the time to a point where it became annoying.
-le dutch angle sucked hard
-the bridge is too dark lighting wise
-no engineering bay scene

+klingons look good
+comfy exploration feelings when they tried to identify the object
+props look cool
+i like the jj windshield bridges more than the screens

i think with the new captain with more authority micheal will get less annoying. looking forward for the next one

she is a woman that wasn't 100% incompetent or getting raped, pretty much the Sup Forums definition of mary sue at this point.

>she is a woman that wasn't getting raped
there's still plenty of time for that to happen user

That alone doesn't make her a Mary Sue. At least it doesn't so far.
It's a gimmick and not one that I like but a gimmicky character isn't automatically a Mary Sue.
The stilted "Burnham knows best"-expository dialogue during the opening scene, that would've been a bit of a Mary Sue moment, but as far as I'm concerned, that's the only instance that would KINDA justify that term. In the end it was just a moment of hamfisted dialogue that fortunately didn't carry over into the rest of the episode(s).

it felt like two episodes of stargate atlantis.
it wasnt really bad.
but that thing isnt star trek

Bad detail: Ubiqitous holo communication. Unnecessary as fuck. If canon is bent and even broken it might make me flinch but I'm not the sort of canonista who's up in arms about such minutiae as long as they serve a greater purpose. In that case however it served NO purpose whatsoever, plot-wise and you just get the feeling they ignored the holo communicator being introduced as a novelty in DS9 because it gave them the opportunity to throw in another JJverse-y special effect

99% people watching it won't even think about it, and not feel the need to look up some trek wiki timeline of when holograms were introduced, it's just a simple visual effect.

only autists will care, and I'm sure there's already clickbait articles for them about how much of a colossal blunder this was.

star trek fans are notorious for noticing stuff like this
but you're probably right because this trash is aimed at an entirely different audience

I hope there are cameos featuring today's millennial celebrities (i.e. Anita Sarkeesian, Zoe Quinn, and Danielle Bregoli)

>canon is bent
it's a reboot you autist

I remember all the autists vehemently defending Star Trek back when it was shit.

>the discovery crew get hailed by a nearly destroyed vessel
>"what happened? how can we help?"
>"this is captain billary clandon, we were ambushed by the alt-klingons"
>"come on board, we must resist"
>all the crew goes to the holodeck to load up cookie and puppy safe space program

>- Calling Michael "Number one" feels a little too Star Warsy
You're baiting right?

refresh my memory, but did all promo material for past series revolve around the "main character"?
I recall the captain being a central point sure, but the crew was also there present one way or the other, it doesn't seem to be like that for shaniqua, all promo I've seen is just her, and maybe Yeoh but she ded what the fuck

There aren't many safe spaces for you. The show is being savaged by audiences all over.

no it isn't?

except trek fans don't even need to look that up. Fact.

Go fuck a lawnmower, you cunt.

not really.

He didn't mention that this Sarek bloke Kirk had prepared to meet was his dad until he was stood literally right in front of him.

Also, nothing we have been told on screen yet suggests that Sarek is her adoptive father. He could just as easily be a mentor.

>SPOCKS DAD LOVES ME MORE AND TALKS TO ME THROUGH SPACE

Sarek not talking to Spock was the entire fucking point of their relationship, though.

Good points:
- I like the designs
- I'm genuinely interested in what comes next

Bad Points:
- The Klingon dialogue felt slow as fuck and I found myself skipping forward a couple of times.
- Too many sound effects from different Trek series. Tons of TNG sound effects just for fanservice. We just needed two and the rest from TOS.
- Battles didn't really look all that amazing.

It's being savaged by autistic Trek nerds who have spent the last year or so screeching about how it's going to be absolutely fucking terrible. Some of them aren't quite ready to calm their tits and admit that actually the show is....ok. Just ok. Nothing mindblowing, but certainly not the complete trainwreck they've been saying it will be. It's also objectively the best opener for any Trek show so far, though for some reason, they've all had utter dogshit pilots before, so it's not like that's a particularly high bar to beat.

I mean, these are the people who are pretending that a Seth MacFarlane show is somehow good, because it wholesale rips off Trek's look, and because they want their precious protest vote.

i like the Klingon designs, but its way more dune or Stargate themed than anything Trek. the flashback thing with the washed out contrast annoing noise seemed like the dune miniseries.
they fucked klingon culture. empires are by definiton multiethnic so wtf racism? lying? wheres the honor? klingons were more about one on one combat than genocide
pace is fucked. its slow, boring, and too many pew pews and splosions.
visuals - dark gloomy gunmetal, holograms all over, blue touchscreens. fuck where are my padds?
michaels all right. her acting is better than mcfarlane and alara on orville at least. she doesnt emote well and the sasy black girl accent is annoying. i cant understand a word the chink said but i liked her a lot better. too bad shes dead. she acted way more like a trek captain should instead of being a bitch who wants to murder all klingons.
michale hets too much time, id rather see other characters fleshed out. the slenderman ayy had that cringy line about prey sensing death but i guess its not worse than betazoids being mindraped every episode on tng.
its tryign to be jjtrek with the saving aliend at begingin. from into darkness. lense flare and ductch anfel anf whatever. its stale and unimaginative, nor soed is trubute the old. dialoge is horrible, drawn out. incomprehsenible pointless gibberish. in old trek dialoge had a point. now its just a pause between visual effects.
now there is the klingon war. where is hope, adventure, optimism, exploration? where is the thought provoking stuff?
im not a trek fan or autism about stuff but this sucks compared to farscape or bsg and even stargate. i like brian fuller from dead like me and pushing daisies but this isnt remotely like those. it has more in common with hannibal visualy. harribal was trash though more watchable than this so far.
this isnt very good but ill watch pireat a few more hoping it gets better.
rip chinawoman you were a good captain

Farpoint was overstuffed so id prefer a narrower focused pilot

CBS has found its audiense for this Mass Effect resking after all

>when a great power ranger turns up in your Star Trek

Stupendous feels

why do you even post in a star trek thread

>convicted for life
>somehow still gets out of prison and keeps being the main character
I don't know what is going to happen, but something will.

What I got from it was that T'Kuvma or whatever his name was, was basically pissed off with Klingons pussyfooting it around when dealing with other races, and saw that factional divides within the empire could be used by groups like the Federation to drive a wedge in and destroy the true Klingon way of life. I didn't get a genocide vibe from him, more a willingness to fuck over the Feds to make sure they don't fuck with the Klingons.

Also, Micheal's plan to attack the Klingons made perfect sense. Klingons would have far more respect for a fellow warrior than for peacenik diplomats. If you want to open up dialogue with them, prove your worth. It's not the "Federation way" of diplomacy though.

Bad points:

- It's a Paramount license reboot that has nothing to do with Prime timeline

>Micheal's plan to attack the Klingons made perfect sense
And it would have worked too. If TKuvma had died before the fleet got there, nobody would unite the Klingons and that would be it. She would still go to jail, but there would be no war.

Nigger/10

so is the theory that discovery is a section 31 ship confirmed?

For all of you haters, please understand that DSC (not STD, you oh-so-clever TROLLS) is the closest thing we've seen to fulfilling Roddenberry's vision for the future, and the greatest cinematic achievement Star Trek has ever produced. First off, the bridge is no longer a boy's club, where women are relegated to being eye candy and answering phones. They are strong, have differing opinions, and are willing to take REAL ACTION. The fact that an Asian woman and a STRONG BLACK WOMAN are in positions of power attests to the progress that humans have made in the future. They aren't anyone's bitch, even each others.

The aliens represent real world political issues, like the alien Saru, who shows that even members of a former slave race can become strong members of society, and move beyond being prey for dominant powers. The Klingons are no longer thinly veiled "others' and represent a real faction of American society that is too afraid of change to move beyond their archaic traditions.

The visuals were gorgeous. The lighting was moody and added a dynamic and tense atmosphere that highlighted the show's central tensions, as well as mirroring the blackness of space. Not like the garish colors and overly bright sets of prior Trek shows like TOS and TNG that looked like they were filmed in an open field with the midday sun shining directly overhead. The experimental angles helped contrast the detailed sets and futuristic tech with the primitive and current tensions between the crew of the USS Shenzhou. And FINALLY, we have sci-fi tech that ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE SCI-FI TECH and not some cheesy wooden props that look like repainted furniture someone found at a flea market.

Trek has finally entered the realm of true art, and no amount of racist, reactionary vitriol can change the great accomplishments we've already seen from this show.

It honestly looks like the best Sci-fi TV show in ages the budget seems great and the effects and makeup for the klingons seem really good.

Fuck the canonfags desu this is really good probably will be better than The Expanse. This is someone who isn't an autistic trekkie spaz who gets all worked up about the "tradition".

Wrong. 99% of people will think they're trying to make Trek more Star Wars-y – which they actually did in this instance.
Also even non-Trek fans will have a picture in their minds of Kirk or Picard communicating with people via viewscreen. Because that's simply what Trek does.

this post is copypasted

CBS shills are real

faggot

Op confirmed faggot

That does by no means fit the categorization as "Mary Sue" though. You simply don't know what a Mary Sue is.
The character might be a child molester and still be the protagonist. That has nothing to do with it.

A Mary Sue is a character that is essentially a non-character (and in most instances a flawless non-character) that still finds its way around every in-universe situation solely by virtue of idiot plotting. A Mary Sue will often be the character that "shakes up" things (the movie "Pleasantville" is essentially a meditation on the Mary Sue trope) in an established universe, but not by "breaking stuff" (as Burnham essentially does) but rather by being oh-so-unique and witty. A Mary Sue character will try very hard to have the audience root for it but only because it's so "relatable" that it ends up having as much character as a pair of pants.

If you want the ultimate Trek Mary Sue, watch the TNG S2 episode "The Outrageous Okona", a guilty pleasure of mine but objectively one giant turd of an episode. Just watch the charcter of Okona doing basically nothing at all but still being characterized as a "rogue" and a "scoundrel" in a most egregious instance of outside characterization and getting all the ladies in the process.

>non-trek fans care about methods of communication

autism.

haha yeah she sure was a mary sue!

A character that has clear flaws (being wrong about the Vulcan hello, saying killing the Klingon would be a bad idea, then killing him anyway)

Yep, this character who has done barely anything right so far sure is a mary sue. We all know that any main character that is a woman must be a mary sue

>being unable to communicate using more than overused buzzwords

autism, as in "clear instance of".
Kids these days...

>Calling Michael "Number one" feels a little too Star Warsy, and forcing the "this is my destiny" subtext

hmmm...Let me tell you what makes this bad bait: The fact that there's not only one but two non-sequiturs in a row

Can I watch this on youtube, or do I have to download Crackle?

torrents my nigga

>First off, the bridge is no longer a boy's club, where women are relegated to being eye candy and answering phones.
is this copypasta?

Just watched the episodes. So klingons are the good guys in this series, right?

unclear

Not confirmed but for fan speculation I think it's a really really good guess

Can anyone answer me why did they abandon the ship in the end, I feel like I missed a detail somewhere because otherwise it makes absolutely no sense. The thing was no longer adrift, there was no critical damage to the core, and the shields were restored. It would be only a matter of time before they repaired some form of propulsion or, if that fasiled, one of the other shitcans could tow it to a starbase. It was in a far too good state for them to scuttle it.

>people in touch with their culture and traditions uniting together
>fighting against deracinated and soulless homo bureaucracy
They seem like the good guys.

That bothered me too. Maybe the damage was more severe than we intially we led to believe?

Its 2 eps into a season long arc involving them. I think its a bit early to declare them the good guys. Think about how often ST has pulled a switcharoo on us in the past. Just the first thing off the top of my head: Xindi in ENT