Why cant they just let Smithers get what he wants...

why cant they just let Smithers get what he wants? The Burns Cage was such a shit episode and it was hyped up so big as smithers coming out, but really nothing about burns and smithers' dynamic changed and there was really no development with smithers.

what would really change if burns and smithers were canon? why does the simpsons staff hate smithers so much? just let the damn man get the burns. there is just absolutely no reason for them to not be together, and if they're gonna try to "develop" the characters more in eps like the burns cage it would be better if they actually changed even slightly instead of just going back to the exact same way they always were. does the staff just hate the idea of a same sex couple being long lasting and not just for the sake of one episode? i can't remember there being a same sex couple that wasn't just a one episode thing that was forgotten about later, but if there is one that has slipped my mind somehow then i'm pretty sure the staff just fucking hates smithers. thats really the only theory that makes sense given how much time they've put into writing about how miserable he is over burns.

or am i just a weirdo thinking too hard about simpsons characters that no one else gives a shit about?

burns is too old to do things actually. He normally only has a few drops of boood in his veins, a dick in the ass would kill him and a boner wouldnt be possible.

i don't really think it would matter for them. smithers doesn't seem like he only loves burns for sexual reasons since he's stayed his assistant for his whole life when he didn't need to out of his sheer love for the old man.

I wanted him and Moe to start dating after that gay bar episode. They made an ugly-cute couple

that would actually be really cute but it would change the dynamic of burns being horrible to smithers who will put up with anything. if smithers is in love with moe, he wouldnt really put up with burns anymore. and god knows the simpsons wont actually change their character relationships that significantly.

Weird clusterfuck of a situation where it began as an obvious joke, then they began making Smithers more of a tragic character, then they began having multiple episodes about the subject, and now no one really knows what to do with it. Since they're playing it as sort of more than a joke, but no way are they actually going to do something that'd break status quo like Burns fucking him or Smithers hanging himself or whatever.

Pretty much exactly what you'd expect from a show that's been around 30 years and is built on the principle of "lol nothing changes, ever."

Me too.

i mean, how much would having them get together even change the status quo? smithers would still be burns' lackey and burns would still treat him like shit, i dont see why they'd even have to acknowledge it as some big deal when they could just throw in like one line where they mention it and have the employees at the plant all just be like "oh, about time" and then it would be normal again.

it sucks that this show has gone on so long when it so clearly wasnt meant to. these characters are so fucking one note and impossible to write for after some point without actually changing things about their characters. i swear if they just loosened up and started to actually write the characters and let them change, the show would instantly become better just because its something new and different that the old simpsons didnt do because they didnt have to. just trying something new, even if it crashed and burned, would be more interesting than the same jokes and the same situations over and over again.

>it was hyped up so big as smithers coming out
Stop falling for modern simpsons viewerbait articles.

Because cartoons adhere to the status quo.

>it sucks that this show has gone on so long when it so clearly wasnt meant to. these characters are so fucking one note and impossible to write for after some point without actually changing things about their characters.

That's pretty much exactly what I wanted to get across.

But even if there was an actual effort made for there to be a timeskip or some sort of canonical progression, it'd still come off as a cheap gimmick at this point.

I almost wish they'd tried to have the characters age/change from the beginning, maybe not in real time but similar to King of the Hill, but then I guess it would've ended up a completely different show anyway.

i wasnt falling for it, i didn't even watch the episode when it aired cuz i hardly knew about it. so, i wasnt "falling for" anything. i only recently decided to do some catching up and i saw that those articles existed and was acknowledging them. i'm saying that it was hyped up by the network and by the simpsons marketing team paying for articles and shit, the show was hyping it up itself and it doesnt do that for every single episode of every season, they hype up certain episodes (whether they deserve it or not) that are supposed to be somehow noteworthy or important. just because i mention the fact that the episodes were written about in the news and the episode was hyped up by the actual network doesn't mean i personally was hyped. i'm just stating facts.

god, why is it that everyone on Sup Forums just can't pass up an opportunity to try to make themselves seem smarter than everyone even when the situation didn't call for it in the slightest. get your head out of your ass and talk about the cartoon instead

yeah, king of the hill was really good at creating interesting character aging and development while still keeping the characters the same. it's possible, it just takes effort that the simpsons crew clearly doesnt have, lol.

they didn't need that effort when the show was still fresh, with jokes and ideas that hadn't been done before. but the development of characters will help for me jokes and ideas that aren't the same thing over and over. no matter what story you do, they're always the same characters in the same developed stage of their lives and therefor you know what will happen, so after they ran out of ideas everything just becomes predictable and the same thing we've seen before just slightly different.

i feel like i'd just give them a few bonus points just for trying something different after so long. it'd come off as a cheap gimmick, but nothing is more cheap than the same exact thing for 30 years

Yeah, I could get behind that.

It's just the type of situation where if they'd done it 15 or 20 years ago, or whenever the show was getting worse but was still mostly seen as watchable/good, fans probably would've thought they were changing shit up for no reason even though that could've led to some interesting ideas, or at least different plotlines.

>if they'd done it
Specifically meant if they'd tried to change the status quo, in any meaningful way.

Never

why do you hate love

Hey op you're really nice. Cordial and smart and bringing good conversation into the board. I wish you'd read marvel so we could have threads like this about their comics. Anyway, keep being nice, there's no thing as "thinking too much".

it really didn't make any sense to have smithers be gay but boy did they pile it on

oh geez, thanks..! thats really nice of you. I actually do read marvel but I never really post much on it since I'm not super well versed in marvel stuff... but I am definitely a fan, and if I was a little more confident in my useless comic trivia and knowledge I'd love to rant on Sup Forums about that, too. haha.

i don't really understand what you mean. him being gay is kind of just apart of his character/personality... so his sexuality kinda can't make sense, isn't that like saying it doesnt make sense for moe to be straight, or something along those lines? or am I completely misinterpreting?

his sexuality was literally never part of his character

he was your tight ass supervisor at first

him being gay made no sense

it was always played as a cruel joke

LOL sexy women have boobs and ass shaking in front of me

better cover my eyes!

LOL! i collect barbies!!

being attracted to your step father who's a bag of bones is full mental patient mode

i can understand a person his own age but dont delude yourself that he isn't norman bates mode

>there's no thing as "thinking too much".
I kindly disagree.

Smithers should date Flanders.

Why do you want Smithers to die?

You obviously just don't get it and need more life experience to understand simple things.

He's a fucking henchman, a mini-boss. He loves Burns' evil and power

i'm sorry, but i don't really agree... i mean, he's actually had lines since season 1 indicating his feelings for burns. so it has basically been apart of his character since his conception. the other complaints you have all just seem to be personal preference, so i dont really wish to fight you about it. obviously his infatuation with Burns is strange, but i don't think he's a mental patient and i never considered burns to be his step father at all. you do know smithers has a mother who is still alive into his adulthood, so i doubt that burns would have just taken an infant as he isn't a very paternal person and wouldn't WANT to deal with the child. but, smithers is attracted to burns because of his position above him and i wouldn't be surprised if age also played into that, as with more age comes more knowledge and experience, etc.... his character of being evil incarnate's assistant/henchman is pushed to the nth by making him so infatuated and eager to please that it becomes actual romantic love. it makes sense to me, and i've never thought that smithers SHOULDN'T be gay. but i understand what you're saying about his sexuality being used for cruel jokes, but the jokes are actually funny and almost all of the simpsons is comprised of cruel jokes on whether it be the characters or the lifestyles theyre mocking.

the way to fix this though, when it begins to feel unbalanced in its cruelty is to develop smithers more. but just like i've been saying, the simpsons are so dead set on never letting the characters break out of the mold that they are so carefully placed in that its dragging on and leaves the audience unsatisfied when they try to "develop" them only to have them back in the same exact position that they were in beforehand.

When I was young I thought you had to be weird like Smithers to be gay and that combined with a pastor telling me how he exorcised a demon from a gay man kept me in the closet for years

while i was growing up and figuring out my sexuality, smithers just kinda made sense to me and actually made me feel a little LESS weird. i think it's because i was also weird, a weirdness which was separate (for the most part) from my gayness, so we were two kindred weirdo souls with strange romantic tastes.

sorry about your pastor though, that guys a nut.